Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS 14.5.1 audio crackling, and problems with audio playback/transport

Comments

• edited May 2021

@kveis said:
    The 14.6 beta seems to have fixed it for me so I’d assume it’s fine.

Same here but not the beta, the release today. Wonderful. And I tried with a very heavy project that always goes to red (AUM) when I hit play (then runs okay) and it did seem to go smoother overall and did not red out when I started :D . Hope I don't say to much BUT the crackling seems to be gone. iPad Air 3 14.6 Fingers crossed and what not!!

• Just updated my 2020 iPad Pro to 14.6 and the crackles are gone.

• edited May 2021

iPad Pro 10.5" on the iOS beta started at 14.7 V.3...serious crackling with iCA4+ analog audio inputs only -- different interface seems OK. MIDI-triggered audio seems OK...only screws up in AUM, AB3, Auria. Cubasis 3 is OK for some reason.

iPhone 7+ on 14.6 as of today. No issues at all -- AFAICT.

The iCA4+ works perfectly with macOS 11.4 :|

• @Vaultnaemsae said:
    iPad Pro 10.5" on the iOS beta started at 14.7 V.3...serious crackling with iCA4+ analog audio inputs only -- different interface seems OK. MIDI-triggered audio seems OK...only screws up in AUM, AB3, Auria. Cubasis 3 is OK for some reason.

what about released version of 14.6 on your ipad pro?

• @espiegel123 said:

@Vaultnaemsae said:

Well, I canceled the beta enrollment thinking it would let me install 14.6 (I was at 14.5.1 when I joined the beta program)...Can't seem to get back to it from the 14.7. FML...

• @Vaultnaemsae said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Vaultnaemsae said:

Well, I canceled the beta enrollment thinking it would let me install 14.6 (I was at 14.5.1 when I joined the beta program)...Can't seem to get back to it from the 14.7. FML...

This article explains how to install the non-beta:
    https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-uninstall-the-ios-14-public-beta

• edited May 2021

@espiegel123 said:

@Vaultnaemsae said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Vaultnaemsae said:

Unfortunately this information is incorrect -- or only half correct.

My device has been unenrolled from the beta. However, it still shows iPadOS 14.7 in the Software update menu as the current version. It also kindly informs me "iPadOS is up to date." Well, I guess it is -- just a little too up to date.

• @Vaultnaemsae said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Vaultnaemsae said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Vaultnaemsae said:

Unfortunately this information is incorrect -- or only half correct.

My device has been unenrolled from the beta. However, it still shows iPadOS 14.7 in the Software update menu as the current version. It also kindly informs me "iPadOS is up to date." Well, I guess it is -- just a little too up to date.

Typically, you need to reset the device to restore a non-beta version of the system, then restore the backup made before joining the beta.

• Yeah, rookie mistake.

As 14.5.1 was completely ruining iOS audio I figured there was no point in backing it up (as it was never going to work properly anyway) and went straight to the beta.

Now I'm stuck on 14.7 until something better comes along I guess.

• I hadn't seen this problem at all before yesterday when I started to work on making some presets. I like to use my guitar for playing around when making presets, so this is the first time on 14.5 or 14.6 that I had used my normal setup. I started getting glitching after about 30 seconds repeatedly. It sounds kinda like sample rate issues to me. Unplugging and replugging my interface would fix it for a minute or so, but then it would start again.

After playing around a bit with ordering of the way I connected and brought things up, I found that if I plugged my interface in via the CCK through a powered hub first, and then let it sit for a few seconds before starting, the crackling wouldn't happen.

This was on 14.6 GM. I'm updating to 14.7 now to see what it does.

• @NeonSilicon My method for reliable hookups is to get everything connected, including the CCK, then connect the CCK to iPad last. That way, all the gear is powered up and idle before iOS begins its negotiations.

• Not for me. I still have the crackles on two iPads updated to 14.6. (There was none before 14.5)

• @uncledave said:
    @NeonSilicon My method for reliable hookups is to get everything connected, including the CCK, then connect the CCK to iPad last. That way, all the gear is powered up and idle before iOS begins its negotiations.

Yeah, that's a more clear way of saying what I was trying to say. The only thing I add is that I have to wait for my interface, a Behringer 204HD in this case, to flash once and the headphones to actually pickup output, before starting AUM. If I don't wait, it seems like a sample-rate converter gets inserted on the input and this goes off-sync after a bit. I don't know that this is what's happening, but it sounds like that. For me, it seems to only be on the inputs from my interface. It hasn't done it when using internal synths.

• iOS 14.6 still crackling for me with AUM

• Look forward to more crackling on iPadOS 14.7
    Love you, Apple!

• @Vaultnaemsae said:
    Look forward to more crackling on iPadOS 14.7
    Love you, Apple!

Is the weird bug that causes the audio engine to crash when the iPad is flat also fixed?

• @ronnieb said:

@Vaultnaemsae said:
    Look forward to more crackling on iPadOS 14.7
    Love you, Apple!

Is the weird bug that causes the audio engine to crash when the iPad is flat also fixed?

I haven't experienced this orientation-related problem [iPad Pro 10.5" (2017)]

• So it doesn't only affect USB-C iPads, or (apparently) iDevices that use 48kHz as the default sample rate.

Is the sample rate unexpectedly switching on the fly for some reason? Too many samples rates, onboard DACs, and iDevices to support?

Would be interesting for affected owners of older iPads to test without an external audio interface. Specifically iPads with headphone jacks that use 44.1kHz as the default sample rate. That would be all iPads up to and including the 2018 iPad 6. I haven't experienced the audio crackling yet when using the onboard DAC on those older iPads.

My 2015 iPhone 6S Plus is affected when using its speaker. When plugging in 3-pole headphones, sample rate automatically switches to 44.1kHz, with no audio crackling. I believe that generation is one of the first to use 48kHz as the default sample rate, but that's only with its speaker.

• Same here, I was on 14.4, recently updated to 14.6, on my air 4 with the usb c to headphone adapter, randomly, on YouTube, soundcloud, safari, audio starts skipping, like the buffer is getting ahead of itself repeating the same 200ms in a loop every 3 seconds or so. Unplugging the adapter solves this until some random point in the future until it happens again.

It’s put me off making music, I reported it to apple, fingers crossed they’ll fix it soon

• Same here, I think developers that sell IOS music apps need to put pressure on Apple to acknowledge and fix the issue.

• wimwim
    edited June 2021

Apple seems to be asleep at the wheel as far as music apps go these days. Its been nine months since iOS 14 launched and they still haven't even acknowledged the "disappearing AUv3" issue to my knowledge.

• @wim said:
    Apple seems to be asleep at the wheel as far as music apps go these days. Its been nine months since iOS 14 launched and they still haven't even acknowledged the "disappearing AUv3" issue to my knowledge.

If it makes you feel any better, all my AUv3's disappeared on macOS yesterday. I had to launch each container app to get the system to see the AU's again. A reboot didn't do it.

Maybe Apple is getting ready to release an all new "magical" audio setup tomorrow and we are just living with the growing pains now.

• wimwim
    edited June 2021

@NeonSilicon said:

@wim said:

If it makes you feel any better, all my AUv3's disappeared on macOS yesterday. I had to launch each container app to get the system to see the AU's again. A reboot didn't do it.

Maybe Apple is getting ready to release an all new "magical" audio setup tomorrow and we are just living with the growing pains now.

Yep, the intern who writes the example code and developer documentation is totally blowing off doing their high school homework to finish up before WWDC. The core audio team is pulling out all the stops this time.

• @ervin said:
    Not for me. I still have the crackles on two iPads updated to 14.6. (There was none before 14.5)

Same here. Skipped 14.5 after reading about the crackling, thought it’d be fine on 14.6. It’s not, very annoying. So they fuck things up but don’t let you go back to the version that worked…

• @wim said:

Yes, this one is causing me a ton of headaches, support-effort and refunds. People install a new app, try the standalone and see that it's broken. Then they refund and leave a 1-star review. It's aggravating.

I have addressed this problem to Apple via one of the more senior contacts I have over there, and indeed they started looking into it. But it all got quiet after I told them I can't provide crash-logs (because technically there's no crash).

Big effin' MEH.

• I bet the pandemic WFH took its toll on QA

• @tahiche said:

@ervin said:
    Not for me. I still have the crackles on two iPads updated to 14.6. (There was none before 14.5)

Same here. Skipped 14.5 after reading about the crackling, thought it’d be fine on 14.6. It’s not, very annoying. So they fuck things up but don’t let you go back to the version that worked…

My latest finding is that the Air 4 seems to be much more severely affected than the Mini 5. Say, I create the exact same AUM setup in both, using no peripheries and just the iPad speakers, in order to exclude external problem sources, etc. The Mini 5 often plays along smoothly when the officially much better Air 4 sounds like someone with stage 4 asthma... So now I can choose whether I want to see things better or hear things better. Brilliant. (And we talk about Logic Pro on iOS... :) )

@brambos said:

@wim said:

Yes, this one is causing me a ton of headaches, support-effort and refunds. People install a new app, try the standalone and see that it's broken. Then they refund and leave a 1-star review. It's aggravating.

I have addressed this problem to Apple via one of the more senior contacts I have over there, and indeed they started looking into it. But it all got quiet after I told them I can't provide crash-logs (because technically there's no crash).

Big effin' MEH.

Like my Air 4 these days, this doesn't sound promising at all...

• edited June 2021

This is kind of an aside but I was tweaking a new aggregate setup on macOS last night. I hadn’t rebooted coreaudio when I opened Live 11 and the stereo input from channel 13/14 (not the master clock device) started making the same kind of noise I’ve been hearing on iPadOS. I cross checked the aggregate settings in Audio/MIDI setup and the drift correction had deactivated itself. Reactivating drift correct immediately fixed the issue.

This leads me to believe that somehow with multichannel audio interfaces in iOS channels 3/4 and upward are not clocking properly. 1/2 always work for me on the ICA4+ but adding 3/4, 5/6 makes the audio mess begin.

But I dunno…just hypothesising.

• I'm going to have to abandon my live iPad rig. I've got gigs coming up and was relying on AUM as my main mixer/interface. Yesterday I had no issues during practice, and today I get crackling as soon as I start up AUM. I can't rely on Apple and don't have the time to wait for them to fix this.