Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis 3.3 MIDI Hardware Mixer Experiences

Following the 3.3 Update that brings external controller support to the Cubasis 3 platform, I thought it might be helpful to have shared experiences on the different controllers that users have implemented with Mackie/HUI and MIDI Learn.

Here are my experiences:

Behringer X-Touch (FW v1.21)
Cubasis 3.3/ iPad Pro 2015/ OS 14.4.2

What Works:

  • All main transport, Jog Wheel (but no scrub), Track zoom (Vert & Horiz), Undo, Click, Cycle, Rec, Solo, Mute, Select, Automation buttons, Fader Bank Select.
  • Zoom buttons can also be toggled to be track and region navigation buttons using the center button.
  • Rotary encoders can be toggle assigned to pan, send level, or the native Cubasis Studio EQ (Other Plug-in support is not functioning yet in Mackie/HUI as of the specified FW and software versions). Pushing in the encoder toggles audio channel input monitoring on/off.

Although the faders will adjust track level, there is no motorized fader support the way it works in Auria Pro..

There is also no support for Scribble strip information or the L.E.D collars around the endless encoders all of which are supported in Auria Pro.

The motorized faders, scribble strips and L.E.D collars all work when BOTH input and output ports are enabled. Many thanks to Lars and his team for pointing out this detail.

The L.E.D metering appears to not yet be supported though (the way it is in Auria). I verified this with both midi and audio tracks. This feature would be very helpful to save/optimize screen real estate during your workflow by allowing you to visually monitor signal levels without pulling up the mixer view in Cubasis. Almost all other ‘mixer view’ operations can be performed directly from the X-Touch.

The implementation of manual fader support in Cubasis 3.3 is non-destructive. This means a track level will wait for its corresponding fader to ‘catch up’ before the previously set track level will be changed which is a great feature to have.

The X-Touch as of v1.21 supports far more Cubasis 3.3 features in Mackie mode than it does in HUI but it does technically connect in HUI as well for basic features such as transport control.

I hope this information helps some users and I am curious on experiences with other controllers as well.

Thanks.

Comments

  • @GrnEgz_N_Hm said:
    Although the faders will adjust track level, there is no motorized fader support the way it works in Auria Pro. Once you adjust a track level using a fader, the motorized fader ‘zeros’ itself out shortly thereafter. The Cubasis track level is not affected by this automatic ‘zeroing’ out however. Thankfully the implementation of manual fader support in Cubasis 3.3 is non-destructive. This means a track level will wait for its corresponding fader to ‘catch up’ before the previously set track level will be changed which is a great feature to

    Read about Catch up mode in Midi learn section of the manual. That may help you

    Korg nanoKontrol (First gen)
    Cubasis 3.3 / iPad Pro 10.5 2017

    It works as expected. Event the Scene feature works.

  • Read about Catch up mode in Midi learn section of the manual. That may help you

    Korg nanoKontrol (First gen)
    Cubasis 3.3 / iPad Pro 10.5 2017

    It works as expected. Event the Scene feature works.

    @ecou Hi, yes the ‘catch up’ feature is supported in Cubasis 3.3. I mentioned my experiences with that feature in my original post actually. It is the next best thing to implementing motorized faders.

  • @GrnEgz_N_Hm said:
    Following the 3.3 Update that brings external controller support to the Cubasis 3 platform, I thought it might be helpful to have shared experiences on the different controllers that users have implemented with Mackie/HUI and MIDI Learn.

    Here are my experiences:

    Behringer X-Touch (FW v1.21)
    Cubasis 3.3/iPad Pro 2015

    What Works: All main transport, Jog Wheel (but no scrub), Track zoom (Vert & Horiz), Undo, Click, Cycle, Rec, Solo, Mute, Select, Fader Bank Select.
    Zoom buttons can also be toggled to be track and region navigation buttons using the center button.

    Although the faders will adjust track level, there is no motorized fader support the way it works in Auria Pro. Once you adjust a track level using a fader, the motorized fader ‘zeros’ itself out shortly thereafter. The Cubasis track level is not affected by this automatic ‘zeroing’ out however. Thankfully the implementation of manual fader support in Cubasis 3.3 is non-destructive. This means a track level will wait for its corresponding fader to ‘catch up’ before the previously set track level will be changed which is a great feature to have.
    There is also no support for Scribble strip information, L.E.D metering or the L.E.D collars around the endless encoders all of which are supported in Auria Pro.

    The X-Touch as of v1.2 generally supports more Cubasis 3.3 features in Mackie mode than it does in HUI but it does technically connect in HUI as well.

    I hope this information helps some users and I am curious on experiences with other controllers as well.

    Thanks.

    Hi @GrnEgz_N_Hm,

    Our engineers stumbled on your report, please find their feedback below:
    Please go to Setup, MIDI, Mackie Control, tap Ports and in the popup, make sure that both the input and the output ports of the Behringer X-Touch are set to “Mackie”.

    Best,
    Lars

  • @LFS said:

    Hi @GrnEgz_N_Hm,

    Our engineers stumbled on your report, please find their feedback below:
    Please go to Setup, MIDI, Mackie Control, tap Ports and in the popup, make sure that both the input and the output ports of the Behringer X-Touch are set to “Mackie”.

    Best,
    Lars

    Hi @ LFS,

    Thank you for pointing out those details. My mistake. I have updated my original post accordingly and included further updates now that full functionality is enabled between the X-Touch and Cubasis 3.3 with both ports communicating .

    Best Regards.

  • edited May 7

    Hi there, I tried to add extender. Main unit is x-Touch MCU mode, extender is x-Touch ex also in MCU mode.
    With ableton live this setup works fully.
    With CB 3.3:
    Extender’s diaplays are not showing track names etc, buttons, faders works, only LCD strips not on extender.

  • edited May 7

    So what mixers do you all like best for Cubasis 3? My “buy new gear” switch has been activated

  • I recently made the switch to cubasis from gadget, a few niggles and restarts aside, I’m happy.

    Especially so with the mackie/hui support.

    I’m using an arturia essential 49 and at last, those transport and daw buttons work.

    The undo, metronome and transport controls work, great for nailing a performance. The only thing that doesn’t seem to work is the record button does not light up red.

    Other than that, this was a nice surprise.

  • edited May 7

    @szczyp said:
    Hi there, I tried to add extender. Main unit is x-Touch MCU mode, extender is x-Touch ex also in MCU mode.
    With ableton live this setup works fully.
    With CB 3.3:
    Extender’s diaplays are not showing track names etc, buttons, faders works, only LCD strips not on extender.

    Hi @ szczyp,

    Did you check to see if separate ports appear for the extender under Settings>midi>MCU/HUI>ports? (See the CB 3.3 manual Pg 84 under ‘MCU/HUI control’)

    I did some testing between the manufacturer and a retailer I deal with on this topic last year. In my personal experience I encountered a requirement for the extender to be configured as a separate controller from the X-Touch even though they work together. In the case of some desktop DAWs configuring two controllers of the same type is supported but not all DAWs support this (see the extender’s quick start guide on Pg 11 under ‘X-Touch extender hook-up’).
    Since CB 3.3 currently allows only one MCU/HUI controller at a time, this may be the cause of the limitations you are experiencing. I have not encountered any other mobile DAW that allows usage of the extender in that respect either.

    The extender may become supported as you expect it to function in the future though. You can see in the CB 3.3 manual on Pg 84 that Steinberg will be working to add support for more extensive MCU/HUI features than are currently supported with future updates.

  • Thank you for attention!


    this settings allows me to use both controllers , but only main controller shows the names of tracks etc.
    Extender is working, but no lcd.

  • Hi Gang

    I’m interested in the Korg NanoKontrol Studio, are all it’s features working in Cubasis 3.3?

    Thanks.

  • @szczyp said:
    Thank you for attention!


    this settings allows me to use both controllers , but only main controller shows the names of tracks etc.
    Extender is working, but no lcd.

    @szczyp
    Well the good news, as mentioned before, is that further Mackie/HUI support will be coming with updates to give hardware controllers even better integration with Cubasis. In the meantime you may just have to flip pages on the main X-Touch controller without the extender to display track info the way you need it. Quite a good many tracks are supported this way with info displaying on the scribble strips. If I learn of any further info regarding the integration of the extenders I will update this post.

  • Hi everyone just uploaded a video showing how the Presonus FaderPort 16 and Cubasis 3.3 work.

  • @Paa89 that looks awesome. Anyone tried the Behringer X-Touch Mini? I wonder how it is utilized.

  • @LoopyFruit said:
    Hi Gang

    I’m interested in the Korg NanoKontrol Studio, are all it’s features working in Cubasis 3.3?

    Thanks.

    Hi @LoopyFruit
    You may want to check out Jakob Haq's 'The Best Cubasis 3 Update ever' video on his 'Haq Attaq' Youtube channel. He demos the NK Studio with Cubasis 3.3.

  • @NoiseHorse said:
    So what mixers do you all like best for Cubasis 3? My “buy new gear” switch has been activated

    @NoiseHorse
    In addition to the X-Touch described in my OP I have tested the following with Cubasis 3 and they work well so far

    SL Mixface

    Very flexible, Custom CC programmable, Bluetooth midi, CC or DAW mode switchable, very compact considering its features, can run on batteries for Bluetooth midi.

    Faderfox EC4

    If you need lots of programmable midi knobs to save different midi learned profiles for your favorite plug-ins this is a hit. You can store over 200 custom profiles, name each profile, and name each knob according to it's assigned parameter (4 character limit). It's a somewhat delicate chassis so you'll want to protect it when traveling. It's a bit pricey as of this posting but once you invest the time to program it, it may end up being worth your while (can be programmed directly without a computer).

  • @GrnEgz_N_Hm said:

    @NoiseHorse said:
    So what mixers do you all like best for Cubasis 3? My “buy new gear” switch has been activated

    @NoiseHorse
    In addition to the X-Touch described in my OP I have tested the following with Cubasis 3 and they work well so far

    SL Mixface

    Very flexible, Custom CC programmable, Bluetooth midi, CC or DAW mode switchable, very compact considering its features, can run on batteries for Bluetooth midi.

    Faderfox EC4

    If you need lots of programmable midi knobs to save different midi learned profiles for your favorite plug-ins this is a hit. You can store over 200 custom profiles, name each profile, and name each knob according to it's assigned parameter (4 character limit). It's a somewhat delicate chassis so you'll want to protect it when traveling. It's a bit pricey as of this posting but once you invest the time to program it, it may end up being worth your while (can be programmed directly without a computer).

    I think the important question is how well the DAW mode (Mackie and HUI in Cubasis) is supported. It’s cool to have Midi learn as it gives you a great deal of flexibility but it also means you have to Midi learn any new channel you add while the DAW mode automatically covers newly added channels even with bank scrolling. I’m happy it works like that with my Korg nanoKontrol 2.

  • @krassmann said:
    @Paa89 that looks awesome. Anyone tried the Behringer X-Touch Mini? I wonder how it is utilized.

    Hi thanks. This was just a quick one. Will go back and do a proper video. But I think any Mackie hui controller should work at least the basic functions (play, forward,scroll etc).

  • edited May 15

    Most flexible use with MCU in terms of customization of parameters is....
    Maybe .... something like on digital mixers "user layer".

    User layer with possibility to choose parameter assigned to different fader, encoder....

    BUT with LCD feedback on MCU of course, not only value but name of the parameter.

  • edited May 15

    My Korg NKS has been revitalized as a dedicated stationairy transport controller, using the pads along with my main midi board. Now if the undo function also was assignable it would be absolutely brilliant for non-stop creation. Would this be difficult to implement, @LFS ?

    I had a Nanokontrol studio also, but vastly prefer the app mixer in full screen. My workflow doesn’t require live mixing and the scroll wheel is useless even in Gadget. Love the form factor of Korgs mini keys.

  • @GrnEgz_N_Hm said:

    @LoopyFruit said:
    Hi Gang

    I’m interested in the Korg NanoKontrol Studio, are all it’s features working in Cubasis 3.3?

    Thanks.

    Hi @LoopyFruit
    You may want to check out Jakob Haq's 'The Best Cubasis 3 Update ever' video on his 'Haq Attaq' Youtube channel. He demos the NK Studio with Cubasis 3.3.

    Many thanks.

  • Did someone tried Icon Platform M+ with Cubasis 3.3?
    I wanted to buy Behringer X-Touch but it’s terribly giant, it cannot find a place into my setup.

  • @ecstaticax said:
    Did someone tried Icon Platform M+ with Cubasis 3.3?
    I wanted to buy Behringer X-Touch but it’s terribly giant, it cannot find a place into my setup.

    @ecstaticax I haven’t tried the Icon yet. I also found it really interesting and have been trying to find one to test.
    If you get a slightly bigger controller like the X-Touch you can use a tilt stand to save some desk space (this has worked great for me so far). It also makes it much easier to see everything on the controller with a tilt and it is surprisingly stable.

    Check this one out
    https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Adjustable-Eye-Level-Ergonomic-EURPMASK/dp/B07FC7DW4Y

  • @GrnEgz_N_Hm said:

    @ecstaticax said:
    Did someone tried Icon Platform M+ with Cubasis 3.3?
    I wanted to buy Behringer X-Touch but it’s terribly giant, it cannot find a place into my setup.

    @ecstaticax I haven’t tried the Icon yet. I also found it really interesting and have been trying to find one to test.
    If you get a slightly bigger controller like the X-Touch you can use a tilt stand to save some desk space (this has worked great for me so far). It also makes it much easier to see everything on the controller with a tilt and it is surprisingly stable.

    Check this one out
    https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Adjustable-Eye-Level-Ergonomic-EURPMASK/dp/B07FC7DW4Y

    Thanks for the reply. Sadly x-touch is really too big for my little studio. I think I will buy a prosonus faderport 8, for compatibility safety.

  • Anyone know if it’s currently possible to correctly map ‘toggle’ style buttons to solos/mutes? It seems to only respond to momentary style interaction, but it’d be nice for the lights on my buttons to correspond to the current software state.

  • @OscarSouth said:
    Anyone know if it’s currently possible to correctly map ‘toggle’ style buttons to solos/mutes? It seems to only respond to momentary style interaction, but it’d be nice for the lights on my buttons to correspond to the current software state.

    @OscarSouth
    I believe your controller needs to communicate with Cubasis using both Input and Output ports in order for it to react to incoming control state data. Check the MIDI section to see if Cubasis recognizes an input port for your controller and not just output. I made a similar oversight when I was initially setting up my controller. Check the 4th post in this thread where Lars responded with details.

  • @GrnEgz_N_Hm said:

    @OscarSouth said:
    Anyone know if it’s currently possible to correctly map ‘toggle’ style buttons to solos/mutes? It seems to only respond to momentary style interaction, but it’d be nice for the lights on my buttons to correspond to the current software state.

    @OscarSouth
    I believe your controller needs to communicate with Cubasis using both Input and Output ports in order for it to react to incoming control state data. Check the MIDI section to see if Cubasis recognizes an input port for your controller and not just output. I made a similar oversight when I was initially setting up my controller. Check the 4th post in this thread where Lars responded with details.

    Cheers for thinking about this. Output state would only be relevant for Mackie/HUI controllers wouldn't it? Control by CC would just need an option that toggles to 'on' when a value of 127 is received and 'off' when a value of 0 is received. I can't find any way to set it up apart from it switching between on/off each time a value of 127 is received (meaning a 'toggle' style control has to be pressed twice to switch the parameter).

  • @OscarSouth said:

    @GrnEgz_N_Hm said:

    @OscarSouth said:
    Anyone know if it’s currently possible to correctly map ‘toggle’ style buttons to solos/mutes? It seems to only respond to momentary style interaction, but it’d be nice for the lights on my buttons to correspond to the current software state.

    @OscarSouth
    I believe your controller needs to communicate with Cubasis using both Input and Output ports in order for it to react to incoming control state data. Check the MIDI section to see if Cubasis recognizes an input port for your controller and not just output. I made a similar oversight when I was initially setting up my controller. Check the 4th post in this thread where Lars responded with details.

    Cheers for thinking about this. Output state would only be relevant for Mackie/HUI controllers wouldn't it? Control by CC would just need an option that toggles to 'on' when a value of 127 is received and 'off' when a value of 0 is received. I can't find any way to set it up apart from it switching between on/off each time a value of 127 is received (meaning a 'toggle' style control has to be pressed twice to switch the parameter).

    Well I have been able to customize a switch toggle in AUM using MIDI CC Learn the way you are describing it but not in Cubasis as of 3.3. I don’t believe it has that extent of functionality yet (check CB3.3 manual on Pg 82-83). Verify with support to be sure but the manual I mentioned acknowledges that more features will be added in future updates based on user feedback.

  • @GrnEgz_N_Hm said:

    @OscarSouth said:

    @GrnEgz_N_Hm said:

    @OscarSouth said:
    Anyone know if it’s currently possible to correctly map ‘toggle’ style buttons to solos/mutes? It seems to only respond to momentary style interaction, but it’d be nice for the lights on my buttons to correspond to the current software state.

    @OscarSouth
    I believe your controller needs to communicate with Cubasis using both Input and Output ports in order for it to react to incoming control state data. Check the MIDI section to see if Cubasis recognizes an input port for your controller and not just output. I made a similar oversight when I was initially setting up my controller. Check the 4th post in this thread where Lars responded with details.

    Cheers for thinking about this. Output state would only be relevant for Mackie/HUI controllers wouldn't it? Control by CC would just need an option that toggles to 'on' when a value of 127 is received and 'off' when a value of 0 is received. I can't find any way to set it up apart from it switching between on/off each time a value of 127 is received (meaning a 'toggle' style control has to be pressed twice to switch the parameter).

    Well I have been able to customize a switch toggle in AUM using MIDI CC Learn the way you are describing it but not in Cubasis as of 3.3. I don’t believe it has that extent of functionality yet (check CB3.3 manual on Pg 82-83). Verify with support to be sure but the manual I mentioned acknowledges that more features will be added in future updates based on user feedback.

    I’ve realised it on their forum and they’re responded so hopefully it’ll arrive.

Sign In or Register to comment.