Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MIDI Learn, AUv3 Multi Out & Much More | Cubasis 3.3 and Galactic May Sale available

Comments

• LFSLFS
    edited May 2021

@onerez said:
    @LFS .. I know that your team has worked hard on this. Thank you. But here is very weird issue I am having and I hope its me. I updated to 3.3. I rebooted my ipad as I always do after updates and I get this…. See video. I just wanted to test the side chain real quick. notice the cursor is jumping in increments and not smooth and there is missing beat on the loop around. Also see my settings.

iPad Pro 2018. Latest iOS 14.5.1

Hi @onerez,

In addition to my comment from yesterday:

• Please set Hardware Latency to OFF
    • Set Device Latency to 5 ms and AEL to 10 ms

Does this help to solve the problem?

Thanks
    Lars

• edited May 2021

@syrupcore said:
    Of course, I found the answer in the manual 30 seconds after posting, because rtfm. :)

MIDI Sources...
    Tracks: Other MIDI tracks can be selected as input or output as well. The limitation is that a track can only output to (or input from) one other track.

So... new question! Is there something like a “passive mult” MIDI AU? No UI required (indeed, no UI preferred). I ask because the next bullet in the manual is:

MIDI Effect multi-output ports: If a MIDI Effect that has multiple outputs is loaded in any MIDI track, its outputs are listed here also.

Seems like one could insert something like a “1 to 4 MIDI Mult” AU on the source track Output and then easily route it to (in this case) up to four destination tracks.

I was trying out this and hit a double jackpot.
    Using MidiBus fx on a midi track as a sender you can send midi to multiple tracks at once. Just disable the midi input on the receiving tracks and add another MidiBus instance set to receive.
    BUT this also solves the midi fix chain problem that I commented before. @Janosax if you’d like to try this, it seems to work....

@tahiche said:
    I was mess8ng around with stacked midi fx and couldn’t get it working right. Then I saw this post
    Cubasis 3.1.1 multiple midi fix stacked on a track - does it work?
    This doesn’t seem to be fixed, right?.
    I have ChordBud followed by ArpBud. Midi output routed to another track. The output should be just the arpeggio but you can hear both the chords and the arp. When recording, I’d you set it to only record the arp it doesn’t work.

I made a video with both use cases, multiple outputs plus respecting the midi fx chain.
    In this simple example I have Chirdbud followed by ArpBud. The output, as stated before, should just be an arp, not chords+arp which is the default (wrong) behavior. Using MidiBus the output is summed right, and you only get the expected arp.

Here’s a video explaining it. At the beginning it shows the standard behavior and then the fix with MidiBus.

• @tahiche said:

@syrupcore said:
    Of course, I found the answer in the manual 30 seconds after posting, because rtfm. :)

MIDI Sources...
    Tracks: Other MIDI tracks can be selected as input or output as well. The limitation is that a track can only output to (or input from) one other track.

So... new question! Is there something like a “passive mult” MIDI AU? No UI required (indeed, no UI preferred). I ask because the next bullet in the manual is:

MIDI Effect multi-output ports: If a MIDI Effect that has multiple outputs is loaded in any MIDI track, its outputs are listed here also.

Seems like one could insert something like a “1 to 4 MIDI Mult” AU on the source track Output and then easily route it to (in this case) up to four destination tracks.

It’s sing MidiBus fx on a midi track as a sender you can send midi to multiple tracks at once. Just disable the midi input on the receiving tracks and add another MidiBus instance set to receive.
    BUT this also solves the midi fix chain problem that I commented before. @Janosax if you’d like to try this, it seems to work....

@tahiche said:
    I was mess8ng around with stacked midi fx and couldn’t get it working right. Then I saw this post
    I have ChordBud followed by ArpBud. Midi output routed to another track. The output should be just the arpeggio but you can hear both the chords and the arp. When recording, I’d you set it to only record the arp it doesn’t work.

I made a video with both use cases, multiple outputs plus respecting the midi fx chain.
    In this simple example I have Chirdbud followed by ArpBud. The output, as stated before, should just be an arp, not chords+arp which is the default (wrong) behavior. Using MidiBus the output is summed right, and you only get the expected arp.

Here’s a video explaining it. At the beginning it shows the standard behavior and then the fox with MidiBus.

Nice workaround! MIDI Tools is the best value app I own, between that and Atom you can work around so many DAW deficiencies.

• @LFS said:

@AudioGus said:

@RockySmalls said:

@AudioGus said:
    Sweet feature list but alas it still seems to hate my iPad. Right off the bat I am hitting the bug where when I move audio clips they don't play back at all. I need to put the playhead back a bit before the front of the clip and stop/play again in order for it to seemingly ‘activate’. i cant just drop the playhead onto the middle of the clip and hear it. Same thing happens when I do fader ramps on a clip. When I last tried C3 months ago I would get this occasionally but right now within the first minute it happened three times.

uho chongo! yes i was getting this intermittently on a quite long & complex 45min editing project a few months ago .. i had to find ways around it .. ie: insert a new audio track and move the offending audio file onto it , that usually fixed the problem... doesn’t sound like this is an update i want to jump into right off the bat if that annoyance has got worse!

@LFS ?

I wouldn’t say my project is extremely long (28min) or very complex at this point. Just extracting voice clips from radio plays.

Hi @AudioGus,

Seems like a lot of short audio snippets in a row.

What exactly happens, did some audio files remain silent?

Is the problem reproducible with the given project? If so, would you share it with us to allow us evaluating the problem?

Best,
    Lars

Hi Lars,
    unfortunately that wouldn’t be an easy thing to do in my case , firstly I found workarounds by moving the problem files to new tracks so getting the issue back wouldn’t be easy , secondly it’s a commercial project paid for by someone else so can’t really share it .. 3rdly .. it’s HUGE!!! :)
    but i will keep an eye out for the issue as it stands in 3.2.1 ( rather than the upgrade )
    it is essentially this ,
    somewhere along the timeline of a ‘longer’ editing project certain audio files suddenly seem to be silent/muted .. but what it is, in fact, is that moving the cursor onto the area of the file and pressing play it will not sound , BUT moving the cursor to just before the beginning of the file so the playhead picks up the head of the audio .. then the audio will sound ok.. earlier in the timeline there is no problem of this nature, there seems to be some ‘dead zone’ created somehow, putting any file on this spot will havebthe same issue.. i am unsure what the procedure that caused it is ( eg: placing a new audio file into the middle of a complex set of already existing files/edits? )
    moving the file vertically up or down onto a newly created blank track usually sorts this out .. but it’s annoying as you have to then replicate all of the effects etc for the track , losing valuable CPU headroom.
    the issue doesn’t seem to be related to file format or bit rate at all..
    cheers..

• @LinearLineman said:
    Has anyone experienced any data loss with the update? I am not reporting that it happened, but it might have happened on one of my iPads. I am loathe to update my major iPad out of general Sartrian anxiety over potential loss. Lol, it’s tough to unattach to stuff,

"General Sartrian anxiety over potential loss" - beautiful :)

• @tahiche said:

@syrupcore said:

MIDI Sources...

Using MidiBus fx on a midi track as a sender you can send midi to multiple tracks at once. Just disable the midi input on the receiving tracks and add another MidiBus instance set to receive.

@tahiche said:

Here’s a video explaining it. At the beginning it shows the standard behavior and then the fix with MidiBus.

Cool technique. I instantly bought the tools. Now we have in CB3 the same flexibility as in AUM. Well, just without the nice matrix visualization. Thanks for sharing.

• @tahiche said:

Hi @tahiche,

Here comes some feedback from our engineering:
    The bug regarding MIDI effects from Cubasis 3.1.1 has already been fixed. This is a new bug that only occurs if MIDI is routed to another track. The output of every MIDI effect slot is sent to the other MIDI track, whereas only the output of the last MIDI effect in the chain should be sent. This will be fixed in one of the next updates. As a workaround, don’t route the MIDI output to another track when using multiple MIDI effects.

Best wishes,
    Lars

• @GoesTo said:
    I’m getting a lot of hanging notes on Micrologue when using extrrnal midi. It’s happening with both Korg Nanostudio over bluetooth and Midiflow keyboard routed via Audiobus. Probably get a stuck note for about every 20 notes Played and seems more common on lower octaves. Not happening with Cubasis 2

Other than that looks like a great update

Hi @GoesTo,

There seems to be a bug in the MIDI input code in 3.3, which has been modified for MIDI learn.
    Thanks for all the bug reports, we can reproduce the dropped and hanging notes and are currently trying to find the cause.

Best,
    Lars

• edited May 2021

Hi Lars, I connected MCU to CB 3.3 and an extender of mcu.
    First Unit show track names, second not.
    On the extender faders, encoders and buttons works, but LCD strips not - with CB 3.3.
    And....is there possibility to control parameters of auv3 via MC?
    Best regards, Przem

• @szczyp said:
    On the extender faders, encoders and buttons works, but LCD strips not - with CB 3.3.
    Best regards, Przem

You can only remote control or Midi learn Steinberg plugins, no AUs. I also asked about that. See page 1 or 2 of this thread.

• Ouch! Well…Zenbeats at least can do it, but not 100% accurate. In Zenbeats as soon as you assign a parameter…the whole presets’ other parameters jump to an almost “init” state. This is an old problem.> @krassmann said:

@szczyp said:
    Best regards, Przem

You can only remote control or Midi learn Steinberg plugins, no AUs. I also asked about that. See page 1 or 2 of this thread.

• @RockySmalls said:

@LFS said:

@AudioGus said:

@RockySmalls said:

@AudioGus said:
    Sweet feature list but alas it still seems to hate my iPad. Right off the bat I am hitting the bug where when I move audio clips they don't play back at all. I need to put the playhead back a bit before the front of the clip and stop/play again in order for it to seemingly ‘activate’. i cant just drop the playhead onto the middle of the clip and hear it. Same thing happens when I do fader ramps on a clip. When I last tried C3 months ago I would get this occasionally but right now within the first minute it happened three times.

uho chongo! yes i was getting this intermittently on a quite long & complex 45min editing project a few months ago .. i had to find ways around it .. ie: insert a new audio track and move the offending audio file onto it , that usually fixed the problem... doesn’t sound like this is an update i want to jump into right off the bat if that annoyance has got worse!

@LFS ?

I wouldn’t say my project is extremely long (28min) or very complex at this point. Just extracting voice clips from radio plays.

Hi @AudioGus,

Seems like a lot of short audio snippets in a row.

What exactly happens, did some audio files remain silent?

Is the problem reproducible with the given project? If so, would you share it with us to allow us evaluating the problem?

Best,
    Lars

Hi Lars,
    unfortunately that wouldn’t be an easy thing to do in my case , firstly I found workarounds by moving the problem files to new tracks so getting the issue back wouldn’t be easy , secondly it’s a commercial project paid for by someone else so can’t really share it .. 3rdly .. it’s HUGE!!! :)
    but i will keep an eye out for the issue as it stands in 3.2.1 ( rather than the upgrade )
    it is essentially this ,
    somewhere along the timeline of a ‘longer’ editing project certain audio files suddenly seem to be silent/muted .. but what it is, in fact, is that moving the cursor onto the area of the file and pressing play it will not sound , BUT moving the cursor to just before the beginning of the file so the playhead picks up the head of the audio .. then the audio will sound ok.. earlier in the timeline there is no problem of this nature, there seems to be some ‘dead zone’ created somehow, putting any file on this spot will havebthe same issue.. i am unsure what the procedure that caused it is ( eg: placing a new audio file into the middle of a complex set of already existing files/edits? )
    moving the file vertically up or down onto a newly created blank track usually sorts this out .. but it’s annoying as you have to then replicate all of the effects etc for the track , losing valuable CPU headroom.
    the issue doesn’t seem to be related to file format or bit rate at all..
    cheers..

That is a really good description of the phenomena. Yah, my project is a bit beefy too at around 3 gigs or so. I think I can upload it to google drive later today.

• Great update!! Lots of requested features added and I think things are going in a great direction overall with Cubasis!! Looking forward to getting a lot more done with it!!

Couple of concerns/questions for @LFS

1. Is there any way to ‘midi learn’ the ‘note repeat’? It would be great to be able to assign that the hardware can be all we need for drum rolls etc

2. Please Please Please Please Please ADD TRACKPAD/Scroll-wheel support!! For the AUv3 selection menus and the main timeline these would greatly improve the workflow

Thanks 😊

• edited May 2021

@LFS said:

@onerez said:
    @LFS .. I know that your team has worked hard on this. Thank you. But here is very weird issue I am having and I hope its me. I updated to 3.3. I rebooted my ipad as I always do after updates and I get this…. See video. I just wanted to test the side chain real quick. notice the cursor is jumping in increments and not smooth and there is missing beat on the loop around. Also see my settings.

Hi @onerez,

Thanks
    Lars

@Lars This did work by me changing the latency. I dont know how it got changed….

• @Sergiu said:
    Ouch! Well…Zenbeats at least can do it, but not 100% accurate. In Zenbeats as soon as you assign a parameter…the whole presets’ other parameters jump to an almost “init” state. This is an old problem.> @krassmann said:

@szczyp said:
    Best regards, Przem

You can use the native Midi learn of the AUs if they offer that.

• @krassmann said:

Thanks!

• @onerez said:

@LFS said:

@onerez said:

Hi @onerez,

Thanks
    Lars

@Lars This did work by me changing the latency. I dont know how it got changed….

Hi @onerez,

Thanks for the update.
    Glad to read that the issue is resolved.

Best,
    Lars

• edited May 2021

Hey @LFS I’m loving the new features so far!

One issue I’ve had since purchasing the Waves IAP’s in Cubasis 3.2 is this weird pink border when resizing the window. This is still happening in the current update, btw. Any ideas on how to fix that? Thanks for your help!

-iPad Air 4
    -iPadOS 14.5.1

• Are any of the IAPs worth getting if I already have AUs that do the same thing, e.g FabFilters, MixBox etc? Any stand outs?

• @mtenk said:

One issue I’ve had since purchasing the Waves IAP’s in Cubasis 3.2 is this weird pink border when resizing the window. This is still happening in the current update, btw. Any ideas on how to fix that? Thanks for your help!

-iPad Air 4
    -iPadOS 14.5.1

Hi @mtenk,

Thanks for your message.
    What are the steps to reproduce the issue?

Thanks!

Lars

• @LFS said:

@mtenk said:

-iPad Air 4
    -iPadOS 14.5.1

Hi @mtenk,

Thanks for your message.

Thanks!

Lars

Literally just opening a Waves plugin and resizing via the resize button or by dragging the gray line upward will do it. It happens no matter what when resizing.

• @mtenk said:

@LFS said:

@mtenk said:

-iPad Air 4
    -iPadOS 14.5.1

Hi @mtenk,

Thanks for your message.

Thanks!

Lars

Literally just opening a Waves plugin and resizing via the resize/full screen button or by dragging the gray line upward will do it. It happens no matter what when resizing.

• @mtenk said:

@mtenk said:

@LFS said:

@mtenk said:

-iPad Air 4
    -iPadOS 14.5.1

Hi @mtenk,

Thanks for your message.

Thanks!

Lars

Literally just opening a Waves plugin and resizing via the resize/full screen button or by dragging the gray line upward will do it. It happens no matter what when resizing.

• Hello @LFS
    Amazing job with this huge update!!!
    Question... Is it planned to add Multi-Out support for AUv3 inserts FXs? (please, say yes 😆)
    I was just imagining how useful would be for apps like Multiband, Bandit, Scatterbrain.
    Thank you!!

• Hi all,

Thank you very much for all your nice comments and feedbacks so far!
    The team and me enjoyed reading all of them!

I'm very pleased to share Jakob's review about Cubasis 3.3 here.
    Jakob is a very good friend, and we are very happy that he also enjoys using the new update.

The Best Cubasis 3 Update Ever! | Cubasis 3.3 | haQ attaQ

Please check out Jakob's clip and support him and what he's doing!

@jakoB_haQ
    So much enjoyed our 2 hour Skype talk yesterday! All the best and thank you for your great support!

Best,
    Lars

• @ervin said:

@LinearLineman said:
    Has anyone experienced any data loss with the update? I am not reporting that it happened, but it might have happened on one of my iPads. I am loathe to update my major iPad out of general Sartrian anxiety over potential loss. Lol, it’s tough to unattach to stuff,

"General Sartrian anxiety over potential loss" - beautiful :)

General Sartrian was defeated by General F.o.M.O. at the Battle of Consumption.
    So, he was right about that potential loss anxiety but the rest of us keep forging ahead
    fueled by FoMO and his rewards for taking the shot at victory over fear.

• When Cubasis hits 4.0 we'll laugh about all this. 4 is twice as good as 2. Some are laughing
    now... sensing the good times ahead.

"Side-chaining" so easy @LinearLineman might do it to his baselines. It could happen on the next album and we'll all benefit from improved clarity in his low end.

• @McD, it’s possible... once I get over my irrational fear that updating Cubasis will delete all my data!

• I think I found a pretty annoying UI bug, or maybe I’m just missing something.
    I selected a pin instrument track and added a preset from the Micrologue arp folder. I don’t have the arp iap, so it takes you to the store and there’s no way out. I can’t change the instrument to anything else. I’m stuck....

Edit. Found a way out. You have to click on the Mediabay and select another instrument there. Annoying.

• edited May 2021

@tahiche said:
    I think I found a pretty annoying UI bug, or maybe I’m just missing something.
    I selected a pin instrument track and added a preset from the Micrologue arp folder. I don’t have the arp iap, so it takes you to the store and there’s no way out. I can’t change the instrument to anything else. I’m stuck....

Edit. Found a way out. You have to click on the Mediabay and select another instrument there. Annoying.

Strange for me it's easy to get out. I just tap the X icon on the top right to close the shop view and I'm back to the view I had been before tapping on the arp, e.g. Micrologue showing the osc tab. BTW, what do you mean with pin instrument track?