Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MIDI Learn, AUv3 Multi Out & Much More | Cubasis 3.3 and Galactic May Sale available

Comments

• @RockySmalls said:

@AudioGus said:

@RockySmalls said:

@AudioGus said:
    Sweet feature list but alas it still seems to hate my iPad. Right off the bat I am hitting the bug where when I move audio clips they don't play back at all. I need to put the playhead back a bit before the front of the clip and stop/play again in order for it to seemingly ‘activate’. i cant just drop the playhead onto the middle of the clip and hear it. Same thing happens when I do fader ramps on a clip. When I last tried C3 months ago I would get this occasionally but right now within the first minute it happened three times.

uho chongo! yes i was getting this intermittently on a quite long & complex 45min editing project a few months ago .. i had to find ways around it .. ie: insert a new audio track and move the offending audio file onto it , that usually fixed the problem... doesn’t sound like this is an update i want to jump into right off the bat if that annoyance has got worse!

@LFS ?

I wouldn’t say my project is extremely long (28min) or very complex at this point. Just extracting voice clips from radio plays.

whereas i was putting voice clips INTO a radioplay... :)
    same kinda theory maybe.. a clip every 20 or 30 seconds over 45 mins ... started to get the problem happening about a third of the way through the timeline.. though i had maybe 3 lanes of other audio below the voice track..
    my natural hesitancy means i haven’t updated to this version of Cubasis so i will be keeping a beady eye on what happens re this anomaly...

Hmmm, interesting. Yah maybe I did have an extra clip on the timeline extending the length when it was happening a lot. I'll give it some testing later and see.

• @LFS great feature update! Nearly all my routing wishes have been covered! As mentioned by others it would be great to be able to chain effects on a send - maybe by setting a send to feed a group channel?

• LFSLFS
    edited May 2021

@AudioGus said:

@RockySmalls said:

@AudioGus said:
    Sweet feature list but alas it still seems to hate my iPad. Right off the bat I am hitting the bug where when I move audio clips they don't play back at all. I need to put the playhead back a bit before the front of the clip and stop/play again in order for it to seemingly ‘activate’. i cant just drop the playhead onto the middle of the clip and hear it. Same thing happens when I do fader ramps on a clip. When I last tried C3 months ago I would get this occasionally but right now within the first minute it happened three times.

uho chongo! yes i was getting this intermittently on a quite long & complex 45min editing project a few months ago .. i had to find ways around it .. ie: insert a new audio track and move the offending audio file onto it , that usually fixed the problem... doesn’t sound like this is an update i want to jump into right off the bat if that annoyance has got worse!

@LFS ?

I wouldn’t say my project is extremely long (28min) or very complex at this point. Just extracting voice clips from radio plays.

Hi @AudioGus,

Seems like a lot of short audio snippets in a row.

What exactly happens, did some audio files remain silent?

Is the problem reproducible with the given project? If so, would you share it with us to allow us evaluating the problem?

Best,
    Lars

• @Paa89 said:
    Hi everyone. I will be doing a giveaway of Cubasis 3.3 codes.
    Please tag me here if you need one. Will choose the winners in a couple of days

Cool! Thanks!

• I played around with CB3.3 the whole evening and it’s really great but strange things happen with my BeatStep Pro. It’s virtually impossible to use it for sequencing. The synths sometimes do not play all the notes. Doesn‘t matter which synth or if it’s drum or melodies. I can use the BSP with any other software and the problem does not occur. AUM, Zenbeats, standalone synths. It only happens with Cubasis. The BSP can be synced with CB or just playing the synths in CB by itself.

I added Midi-Spy to the channel in CB and it does look strange. When I play the pads a lot of strange notes are shown in Midi-Spy. Notes from different Midi channels although in the Midi routing input from BSP is limited to a single channel. I rebooted the iPad, hard reset the BSP - nothing helps.

@Paa89 and @d4d0ug you also seem to have a BeatStep Pro, could you please check if you also have issues with sequencing? Sometimes you need to let the BSP run for some time before it happens. The BSP is very central to my music making….

• I’m getting a lot of hanging notes on Micrologue when using extrrnal midi. It’s happening with both Korg Nanostudio over bluetooth and Midiflow keyboard routed via Audiobus. Probably get a stuck note for about every 20 notes Played and seems more common on lower octaves. Not happening with Cubasis 2

Other than that looks like a great update

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • This would be using the group channel as a bus, which is probably what a group channel is anyway. As @Samu menioned, routing audio between tracks is already implemented, both for track groups and sidechain. Exposing the routing as buses would be amazing. I’m sure there’s downsides and nuances I’m not aware of.

@MadGav said:
    @LFS great feature update! Nearly all my routing wishes have been covered! As mentioned by others it would be great to be able to chain effects on a send - maybe by setting a send to feed a group channel?

• edited May 2021

@d4d0ug said:

@krassmann said:

@Paa89 and @d4d0ug you also seem to have a BeatStep Pro, could you please check if you also have issues with sequencing? Sometimes you need to let the BSP run for some time before it happens. The BSP is very central to my music making….

Haven’t played yet... but one thing i recommend checking is whether you have all the tracks you want to sequence simultaneously armed at the same time....

Yes, all armed. I can record the Midi from the BSP in CB and then you can see that sometimes notes are missing. I also experience the same as @GoesTo. Sometimes notes from external Midi hang because the note off is missing. I‘m more and more certain that there is a bug in the external Midi input handling.

@LFS, I think the team should check that.

This is the recording of two patterns each one bar. One melody, one drum. See the hanging notes as very long notes.

iPad 6, iPadOs 14.5

• I was mess8ng around with stacked midi fx and couldn’t get it working right. Then I saw this post
    Cubasis 3.1.1 multiple midi fix stacked on a track - does it work?
    This doesn’t seem to be fixed, right?.
    I have ChordBud followed by ArpBud. Midi output routed to another track. The output should be just the arpeggio but you can hear both the chords and the arp. When recording, I’d you set it to only record the arp it doesn’t work.

• @tahiche said:
    This would be using the group channel as a bus, which is probably what a group channel is anyway. As @Samu menioned, routing audio between tracks is already implemented, both for track groups and sidechain. Exposing the routing as buses would be amazing. I’m sure there’s downsides and nuances I’m not aware of.

@MadGav said:
    @LFS great feature update! Nearly all my routing wishes have been covered! As mentioned by others it would be great to be able to chain effects on a send - maybe by setting a send to feed a group channel?

Well… a (summing) bus is a generalisation - the main mix, groups and sends are all particular types of bus. The question is how to provide functionality in an easy, intuitive way. Or maybe we just want an anything-to-anything matrix 😂

• @tahiche said:
    I was mess8ng around with stacked midi fx and couldn’t get it working right. Then I saw this post
    Cubasis 3.1.1 multiple midi fix stacked on a track - does it work?
    This doesn’t seem to be fixed, right?.
    I have ChordBud followed by ArpBud. Midi output routed to another track. The output should be just the arpeggio but you can hear both the chords and the arp. When recording, I’d you set it to only record the arp it doesn’t work.

Yep this still don’t work.

• Has anyone experienced any data loss with the update? I am not reporting that it happened, but it might have happened on one of my iPads. I am loathe to update my major iPad out of general Sartrian anxiety over potential loss. Lol, it’s tough to unattach to stuff,

• I spoke too soon Buyer Beware! Cubasis 3 is not usable for me. I now call it Cuba-Snap Crackle POP and don’t you dare try to use an AUV3 instrument! Not even one! I am going to research how to get a refund. How-Why is Cubasis 3 worse than Cubasis 2 ? it is just a smack to my face.

• @ralis said:
    I spoke too soon Buyer Beware! Cubasis 3 is not usable for me. I now call it Cuba-Snap Crackle POP and don’t you dare try to use an AUV3 instrument! Not even one! I am going to research how to get a refund. How-Why is Cubasis 3 worse than Cubasis 2 ? it is just a smack to my face.

Hi @ralis,

Which iOS device/iPad OS do you have in use?

In addition, please share more details about your exact latency settings.

Best,
    Lars

• edited May 2021

@LFS .. I know that your team has worked hard on this. Thank you. But here is very weird issue I am having and I hope its me. I updated to 3.3. I rebooted my ipad as I always do after updates and I get this…. See video. I just wanted to test the side chain real quick. notice the cursor is jumping in increments and not smooth and there is missing beat on the loop around. Also see my settings.

iPad Pro 2018. Latest iOS 14.5.1

• Wow. Amazing looking release! Congrats and thanks to the CB3 fam.

• @LFS said:

@ralis said:
    I spoke too soon Buyer Beware! Cubasis 3 is not usable for me. I now call it Cuba-Snap Crackle POP and don’t you dare try to use an AUV3 instrument! Not even one! I am going to research how to get a refund. How-Why is Cubasis 3 worse than Cubasis 2 ? it is just a smack to my face.

Hi @ralis,

Best,
    Lars

2017 iPad Pro, iOS 13.7

Device latency 10.7

Audio engine latency (multi-core rendering disabled) off

It also drops IM1 Audio (IAA) randomly -(disconnects?)

It resets Agonizer (AuV3) to init patch randomly

Usually when I move the start bar and restart sometimes just when I start the song.

Don’t worry. I am going back to version 2

• @onerez said:
    @LFS .. I know that your team has worked hard on this. Thank you. But here is very weird issue I am having and I hope its me. I updated to 3.3. I rebooted my ipad as I always do after updates and I get this…. See video. I just wanted to test the side chain real quick. notice the cursor is jumping in increments and not smooth and there is missing beat on the loop around. Also see my settings.

If everyone was this thorough with bug reporting, we’d definitely have flying cars by now. My inner nerd says <3

• @LFS I know its probably not a huge priority but the mouse functionality is still not working. Theres no way to scroll vertically or horizontally

• @onerez said:

Hi @onerez,

Please give these steps a try:

• Load an empty project
    • Close all running apps, including Cubasis
    • Fully shut down the iPad

Once restarted, are you able to reproduce the issue, after having loaded the project again.

In addition, did you manually change the latency settings?

Best,
    Lars

• MIDI Routing question: is it possible to send midi from one track to multiple destination tracks?

When I try to send MIDI from one track to two (or more) destination tracks, only one destination track seems to be able to get the MIDI from the source. As soon as I select the source track as the MIDI source (via info panel sidebar -> Routing), any tracks that previously had that source selected have their MIDI input reset to No Input.

Have I just missed something?

Use case A: create a simple melodic line and send/route it several synth sounds to layer them up.

Use case B: send a single set of chords to different tracks with different arpeggiator settings.

• edited May 2021

Of course, I found the answer in the manual 30 seconds after posting, because rtfm. :)

MIDI Sources...
    Tracks: Other MIDI tracks can be selected as input or output as well. The limitation is that a track can only output to (or input from) one other track.

So... new question! Is there something like a “passive mult” MIDI AU? No UI required (indeed, no UI preferred). I ask because the next bullet in the manual is:

MIDI Effect multi-output ports: If a MIDI Effect that has multiple outputs is loaded in any MIDI track, its outputs are listed here also.

Seems like one could insert something like a “1 to 4 MIDI Mult” AU on the source track Output and then easily route it to (in this case) up to four destination tracks.

• @MisplacedDevelopment said:
    How is the stability of Cubasis 3.x these days? I bought it fairly early on and had to refund due to hitting multiple crashes within a few minutes of using it. I hear it is more stable now so perhaps now is the time to give it another spin, are any power users able to give their opinion?

I did end up buying it again and had a little play last night.

Did not crash this time, and I was quickly at home with the interface. Easy navigation between tracks, I like that I can keep the one window open and switch between tracks and their plugins without needing to open or close any other windows. Managed to get Atom 2 playing as well which is good news.

I did notice the sample rate seemed to get set to 44k when I loaded it one time and I needed to have AUM running at the same time to convince it that 48k was native. I don't know if it got fixed but apparently Helium had a problem with Cubasis misreporting its sample rate so that is something to look out for if things don't sound right or transports are not running at the expected tempo.

• @MisplacedDevelopment said:

@MisplacedDevelopment said:
    How is the stability of Cubasis 3.x these days? I bought it fairly early on and had to refund due to hitting multiple crashes within a few minutes of using it. I hear it is more stable now so perhaps now is the time to give it another spin, are any power users able to give their opinion?

I did end up buying it again and had a little play last night.

Did not crash this time, and I was quickly at home with the interface. Easy navigation between tracks, I like that I can keep the one window open and switch between tracks and their plugins without needing to open or close any other windows. Managed to get Atom 2 playing as well which is good news.

I did notice the sample rate seemed to get set to 44k when I loaded it one time and I needed to have AUM running at the same time to convince it that 48k was native. I don't know if it got fixed but apparently Helium had a problem with Cubasis misreporting its sample rate so that is something to look out for if things don't sound right or transports are not running at the expected tempo.

I think this might be an iOS thing. Once the sample rate it set in the OS by any given app, it takes an act of Congress (or a reboot) to set it to something else. Audiobus 3 has that “Clear Session” button and one of the things it does is get said legislation passed. This may be a total lie at this point, perhaps fixed ages ago but fwiw, it was true in the not terribly distant past.

• @syrupcore Thanks for the tip, I will see if I can find that button the next time I see this and try and work out which app is setting the rate incorrectly.

• edited May 2021

@ralis said:

CB3 is a complete re-write and shares probably not much code with CB2 - I guess mostly UI. So, CB2 is much more mature. I believe that re-write opened up the door for utilizing multiple cores - AFAIK there is no other DAW on the iPad being so capable in this regard and I’m looking forward to an outstanding performance on my recently ordered iPad Pro. But I also think that Steinberg should improve their testing.

I understand being angry about having problems with a relatively high priced app but I find your words too harsh. I have absolutely no problems with all the AUs I tried so far. On my device the crackles occur at a similar load when it also happens with AUM. I think you should rule out that it’s not your local problem before you shoot.

On the other hand, I also experience some problems and it looks like that other users share them. Problems where I believe a decent smoke testing should have found. I think there are several options to rent a device farm per hour for that purpose. I accept a kind of community bughunt with an app that was made by an indie developer in the spare time and sold for 9.99 but for Cubasis I have certainly higher expectations.

• @MadGav said:

@tahiche said:
    This would be using the group channel as a bus, which is probably what a group channel is anyway. As @Samu menioned, routing audio between tracks is already implemented, both for track groups and sidechain. Exposing the routing as buses would be amazing. I’m sure there’s downsides and nuances I’m not aware of.

@MadGav said:

Well… a (summing) bus is a generalisation - the main mix, groups and sends are all particular types of bus.

Yeah, that’s what I meant, they’re all buses behind curtains. A way to route audio signal from places to places... (10000 tech points for me)

The question is how to provide functionality in an easy, intuitive way. Or maybe we just want an anything-to-anything matrix 😂

Anything to anything!. Logic and other DAWS usually do this for you, so say you wanted an effect send bus, when adding a send it’d make a bus for you, where you can add multiple effects. Or you could do it manually, same result.
    Buses could be in a folder conveniently labeled “nerds”. The contents would be bright green and with Comic Sans font.
    Now seriously, Auria has a good bus system, but the UI is not very friendly. The biggest part is done, which is the necessary audio routing, it’d only be a matter of figuring out the best way to offer the functionality via UI. As I said, this should be “optional” meaning it’ll set it up for you in the case of Track Groups or sends (90% of use cases) but an advanced user could do his/her own.

• edited May 2021

The audio/sample editor in Cubasis still drives me nuts!

Split an audio event into 3 parts...
    Open the middle event in the audio/sample editor and the entire file is selected instead of the just the middle region.

On paper this should be a very simple logical issue to fix!

When opening the audio event in the audio/sample editor set the Left & Right locators/region markers or to match the selected audio-event in the arranger.

This would make it easy to do 'save selection to media bay' instead of moving the event to a new track, do a track-freeze and save the resulting audio to the media bay.
    (This would make it possible to keep mono-recordings mono since freeze always creates a stereo file).

Maybe I'm just too used to using the region-markers in Logic and fail to see the 'Steinberg Way' of doing things?!?

Don't know how many audio-editing related issues is on the infamous to-do list, only @LFS can answer that :)

I guess multi-out support for AUv3 effects is in the pipe-line?
    (Ie. use the AUv3 Effect output(s) as input(s) to another track(s)).

The 'Mixer' still doesn't remember the S,M,XL setting between Cubasis relaunches.

Other than that if seems to be a solid update!
    (Yes, I know I'm quite 'picky' but OCD does that to a person).

Cheers!
    /Samuel

• @ralis said:

@LFS said:

@ralis said:

Hi @ralis,

Best,
    Lars

2017 iPad Pro, iOS 13.7

Device latency 10.7

Audio engine latency (multi-core rendering disabled) off

It also drops IM1 Audio (IAA) randomly -(disconnects?)

It resets Agonizer (AuV3) to init patch randomly

Usually when I move the start bar and restart sometimes just when I start the song.

Don’t worry. I am going back to version 2

Hi @ralis,

If possible, please share your project with us, to allow us evaluating the problem.
    Alongside, a short clip which visualises the issue and that shows your latency settings would be of additional help.

Please upload both files via Dropbox or similar, and let me have the download link via private message.

Just to make sure, you've already gave it a try to set Latency to OFF, correct?

Best wishes,
    Lars