Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiobus -> Audiobus between 2 iPads using the iConnectMIDI4+

Hi all. Just posted a new blog entry about connecting the audio of two iPads together to route the Audiobus output from one iPad to the Audiobus input of the other using the iConnectMIDI4+

Link: http://www.musicinclusive.com/blog/iconnectmidi4_ipad_to_ipad_audi_passthru/

Comments

• That's great. I do this via analog connector now.

Do you happen to know if they have plans to release an iPad version of the config app? Just watching this, I realized that if I want to switch from audio pass through to no audio mode (to use a different audio device) I'll need to have a computer with me.

• edited May 2014

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/iconnectivity-iconfig/id687451669?mt=8

It's been available even longer than the 2+ has....

• The iConfig app works fine already with the 4+ @syrupcore. The audio pass thru is entirely digital via the 4+ too - so no lossy bandwidth limiting via A/D if done this way via the 4+. Also - if you do audio in via the jack from the audio output of another iDevice - isn't the jack input mono? The iCM4+ route is stereo.

• Thanks @zymos and @musicinclusive — totally missed that app.

@musicinclusive I go stereo out to an interface so it's stereo currently. My coffee shop interdevice audio setup is as simple as iPhone 4s->1/8" stereo out to the stereo 1/8" input on a Blue Digital Mikey plugged into my iPad 3. Headphones on the iPad. Works fine but this setup totally restricts the use of the CCK on the iPad though. :)

• Ah! I see what you're doing there @syrupcore. Sure - so you're using the digital stereo input to the iPad 3. Then you've got stereo. Gotcha. But you've still got the D/A conversion and BW filtering of the jack interface and A/D on the Blue.

Now, having said that - that's still very acceptable for many circumstances, so I'm not dissing it entirely. Before I got my 2+ back in October last year I was using jack output into an I/O interface but I'm happier without that D/A A/D and bandwidth limitation.

• I think I will be too. :)

• Hi All,
    how is everyone doing ?

Is anyone out there using the Ableton live 8 rewiring Reason 7 and also integrating the Iconnectmidi4+ with an Ipad and iphone ?

Any info on such setups would be great.

thanks

• edited June 2014

Sounds like you must have a DAW on a 3rd port in order to hear the audio from either iPad, because the IOS Audio options are enabled in iConfig for all of the ports.

• In an iPad -> iPad chain you could turn audio off on the output iPad in iConfig and send jack out to a regular audio interface / phones / etc. @Marco.

• @MusicInclusive said:

In an iPad -> iPad chain you could turn audio off on the output iPad in iConfig and send jack out to a regular audio interface / phones / etc. @Marco.

Ok, sounds interesting. I'll have to give that a try. Is this a workaround that you've been able to verify as valid? If I disable audio on the output iPad, how would it still be able to get PT audio from the input iPad?

• Oh - you're right @Marco - Sorry - wasn't thinking about that. Yes wouldn't work. My bad.

• NP. Definitely need a Mac/PC with a DAW to be able to effectively use APT between two IDevices else you won't be able to actually hear anything.

• But can you actually connect 2 iDevices and a PC/Mac, all at the same time?

• Yes @Zymos - assuming I understand what you're asking.

• I mean for all 3 devices to send/receive audio. How would that work? (The physical connecting them all together)

• @Zymos. OK. I'm confused :-) I'm not understanding what's being asked anymore. I don't want to answer the wrong question. Forgive me for asking a square one question therefore - but here we go :-) : what do you want to achieve?

• All I want to achieve is perfect clarity ;-)

I was just expanding on what Marco asked about, and his comment at 1:10 today. If you are using APT with 2 devices, how can you actually hear the audio? It can't be output from either of the iDevices' headphone jacks or speakers, because APT precludes using them. Marco was saying you'd need a PC/Mac DAW ( with it own audio interface which would be the one sending audio out to speakers so you could hear it)

But I don't think you can plug 2 iDevices AND a computer into the 4+ all at the same time and send the audio from both iDevices to the computer's audio interface.

• Ah - OK @Zymos - understood. And thank you for taking the time to clarify.

Yes - sure - no problem. The audio passthru is simultaneous and bidirectional between all devices.

So, yes, you can plug 2 iDevices and a computer into the 4+ and send both iDevices' audio out to the computer's audio at the same time.

To hear the audio - you would have however to have some other audio device in an aggregate with the iCM4+ on the computer - even if it's just the PC / Mac speakers - but if you had an audio interface you could route out to that too.

Make sense?

• Yep, just confirmed that APT is simultaneous in Ableton with an iPad and and iPhone:

iPad in USB 1
    iPhone in USB 2
    Mac to USB 3

Audio Routing:
    USB 1 -> USB 3
    USB 2 -> USB 3

Audio Device:
    Apogee Duet aggregated with 4+

Ableton:
    Stereo out to Duet
    (2) Stereo inputs (3/4, 5/6)

I have two audio tracks in Ableton, each has an external audio device assigned to it. Input 3/4, which comes from the iPad on USB1 is assigned to one track and Input 5/6, from the iPhone on USB 2, is assigned to the audio track. Works well in that aspect. Just have to realize that the 4+ requires a workstation to be the most effective.

• I can't get routing working from IDevice 2 -> IDevice 1 -> DAW. Device 2 has whatever app in the input slot with the system output in the output slot. Device 1 has system input in the input slot and Audioshare in the output slot. Audioshare has monitoring enabled, but isn't receiving any audio from Device 2. Routing is verified as correct in iConfig. Will try this again tonight.

• edited June 2014

I use iCM4+ to send midi to a VST hosted on a Windows DAW (Reaper) with the audio routed to an IPad4 (Auria) and what works for me is to plug in my powered speakers to the IPad after the route is set up. As long as the speakers are plugged in after the audio route is set and Auria is seeing the audio, the IPad headphone jack appears to reclaim audio out while still accepting the audio input from the iCM4+.

I have not been able to use the embedded iPad speaker, however.