Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Alternative to iTunes/Music app

I've been uneasy about using streaming services for a while now, thanks artists not getting paid properly etc. I just pulled all my old ripped CDs and so on off an old drive, but what can I use to play it?

Apple's Music app is awful, iTunes isn't available on my M1 Mac, so what alternatives are there?

Suggestions please! And nothing ugly, or hard to use. And not Vox, either--I just can' get along with it.

iOS suggestions too if you have them.

Comments

• https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/musicfolder-2/id1366466861

By sevensystems / xequence maker, dead simple old school player, I love it 👍

• Have you tried keeping your collection in AudioShare?
    It also comes in handy when you want to use your favorite songs as a reference track.
    Disadvantages:

• “Hey Siri” doesn’t work when AudioShare is running. Not even with the device locked.
    • No quick playlist creation. You have to make your own folders and number the file names so that they play in the sequence that you want.

For me, after trying various subscription services etc. I have settled with a YouTube family subscription and really enjoying it. If you want to try this, just remember not to make the subscription through a browser. Do not create the subscription through any of the YouTube apps, because Apple will charge you an extra 30% every month.
    Enter your payment details only through the YouTube website from a browser to get the normal price and after that is sorted you can login to the YouTube or YouTubeMusic apps and enjoy everything ad-free at the standard price.

• @Krupa not bad. I also use EverMusic for iOS, but I’m looking for something a bit less bare bones.

@jolico My problem isn’t Apple Music in particular, it’s subscription services in general.

• My prefered app for listening to music from my external HD is Evermusic Pro.
    I can create playlists which is a must for me.

• nPlayer Plus is my iOS workhorse: very full-featured and will play music off iXpand sticks, though apparently not external USB-C drives.

• Documents by Readdle is great for playing audio files. And I believe it’s now M1 compatible.

• @Gratouilli said:
    My prefered app for listening to music from my external HD is Evermusic Pro.
    I can create playlists which is a must for me.

This ticks the two boxes I was looking to tick when I first got my iPad so I will take look. I tried so many different apps and none of them did both of these seemingly simple things for a music app so I gave up in the end.

• @seonnthaproducer said:
    Documents by Readdle is great for playing audio files. And I believe it’s now M1 compatible.

Hey Seonn, does Readdle let you create playlists?

• @MisplacedDevelopment said:

@seonnthaproducer said:
    Documents by Readdle is great for playing audio files. And I believe it’s now M1 compatible.

Hey Seonn, does Readdle let you create playlists?

Great question. Just checked but it doesn’t seem to. Will send in a request for the feature.

• On iOS there are lots of apps that will use your iTunes library and go from there. I don’t know of any on the mac though.

• edited May 2021

@mistercharlie said:
    I've been uneasy about using streaming services for a while now, thanks artists not getting paid properly etc. I just pulled all my old ripped CDs and so on off an old drive, but what can I use to play it?

Apple's Music app is awful, iTunes isn't available on my M1 Mac, so what alternatives are there?

Suggestions please! And nothing ugly, or hard to use. And not Vox, either--I just can' get along with it.

iOS suggestions too if you have them.

Swinsian on Mac. What iTunes used to be. FLAC support as well. Even supports iPod classics if you still roll with those.
    https://swinsian.com/

• VLC Mobile Player

Free. Cross-Platform. Streams over various sources including SMB, FTP, UPnP/DLNA media servers and the web. Supports playlists. Not exactly beautiful, but not ugly either.

• @AlmostAnonymous Swinsian looks great!