Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Favorite Hardware-/Midi Controller

Comments

• @gkillmaster said:
    I use Bitwig for my DAW and wondering if anyone here has recommendations on best controllers for Bitwig? A lot of the controllers here are geared toward Live it seems.

Mossgrabers scripts are awesome : I LOVE using it with the akai fire (the 16x4 grid is nice ) and the launchkontrol XL. I keep my maschine mk3 for fingerdrumming and sensel morphs to input MPE.

• @gkillmaster said:

@128BPM said:
    What about Arturia MicroFreak?
    Could it be used as a portable midicontroller?
    (With the Synth as a bonus).

Thanks

Such a great idea! I've always wanted an excuse to get the microfreak and it looks like you can use it as controller fairly easily. There's lots of info online about this.

To help you with your excuses I can confirm that the MF can be used as a controller. It sends out CCs for almost every button and knob. The only problem is that the MF‘s architecture does not really match most soft synths. You can find good matches for filter, envelopes and LFO but the MF has got only one oscillator with four control knobs and the modulation matrix cannot be used. Anyway it is a much better synth controller than any generic knob & button box.

Don‘t be irritated by the single oscillator. This single oscillator has got so many algorithms, modes and variations that it‘s more than enough. The MF is such a fun that I can whole heartedly recommend it. You can fairly operate it off a power bank.

Please watch Stimming‘s review. If not the whole then at least the last three minutes when he goes crazy with the arp and sequencer.

• Such a great idea! I've always wanted an excuse to get the microfreak and it looks like you can use it as controller fairly easily. There's lots of info online about this.

To help you with your excuses I can confirm that the MF can be used as a controller. It sends out CCs for almost every button and knob. The only problem is that the MF‘s architecture does not really match most soft synths. You can find good matches for filter, envelopes and LFO but the MF has got only one oscillator with four control knobs and the modulation matrix cannot be used. Anyway it is a much better synth controller than any generic knob & button box.

Don‘t be irritated by the single oscillator. This single oscillator has got so many algorithms, modes and variations that it‘s more than enough. The MF is such a fun that I can whole heartedly recommend it. You can fairly operate it off a power bank.

Please watch Stimming‘s review. If not the whole then at least the last three minutes when he goes crazy with the arp and sequencer.

Great info👍

• I have a keystep 37 and nanokontrol2 that has been pretty satisfactory. Plenty of cc control between the two

• @ervin said:

@audiobussy said:

@ervin said:

@stown said:
    I think “a UM” might be AUM, but possibly not?

Oh. I should've thought of that. Worth a try. Thanks 👍

AUM ... Siri

Thanks. Tried in the meantime, it does work, AUv3s are perfect for what I want, midi channel assignment becomes a bit awkward when I try to control IAA apps in AUM, but I guess that's because IAA apps in AUM... :)

I'm solidly in AUv3 and have no trouble

• @krassmann said:

My takeaway was this: "wow, you've really got to love tweaking those orange knobs to want one of these - that makes up half the video". Which made me realise I'm probably not the target audience. :)

• @krassmann said:

@gkillmaster said:

@128BPM said:
    What about Arturia MicroFreak?
    Could it be used as a portable midicontroller?
    (With the Synth as a bonus).

Thanks

Such a great idea! I've always wanted an excuse to get the microfreak and it looks like you can use it as controller fairly easily. There's lots of info online about this.

Thanks for this! Super helpful!

• edited May 2021

@jazzmess said:

@gkillmaster said:
    I use Bitwig for my DAW and wondering if anyone here has recommendations on best controllers for Bitwig? A lot of the controllers here are geared toward Live it seems.

Mossgrabers scripts are awesome : I LOVE using it with the akai fire (the 16x4 grid is nice ) and the launchkontrol XL. I keep my maschine mk3 for fingerdrumming and sensel morphs to input MPE.

Thanks for this feedback. I didn't know about the Akai and didn't remember about Mossgrabers! Thank you!! Though I don't see the launchkontrol XL as a device he supports.

• @gkillmaster said:

@jazzmess said:

@gkillmaster said:

Thanks for this feedback. I didn't know about the Akai and didn't remember about Mossgrabers! Thank you!! Though I don't see the launchkontrol XL as a device he supports.

Sorry my mistake : LCXL is a Bitwig script. As for the also fire, which are on the cheap side : You even have a step sequencer when using the drum sequencer !!!! (16 steps w/4 tracks), and you have the ability to change the resolution from 1/16 to 1/32 and even 1/64 Ibthink. Great stuff.

• @jazzmess said:

@gkillmaster said:

@jazzmess said:

@gkillmaster said:

Sorry my mistake : LCXL is a Bitwig script. As for the also fire, which are on the cheap side : You even have a step sequencer when using the drum sequencer !!!! (16 steps w/4 tracks), and you have the ability to change the resolution from 1/16 to 1/32 and even 1/64 Ibthink. Great stuff.

@jazzmess said:

@gkillmaster said:

@jazzmess said:

@gkillmaster said:

Looks great! Was reading Mossgraber's manual and trying to tell what he has added to the functionality. I'm also considering the Beatstep (not Pro) and it looks like the Mossgraber script allows CC assignments to the pressure of the pads which would be welcomed!

• Arturia Minilab Mk2 looks pretty great for the price. Anyone using it?

• @sigma79 said:

@MarkR said:

@krassmann said:
    Korg nanoKontrol 2 is great as a mixer controller. I also have the LaunchControl XL but I find myself using the Korg more often because it is more compact and does what I need. Mostly I’m using the mute and solo buttons with AUM.

I want to love my NK2 with AUM, but I can't.

I set up MIDI learn for the solo and mute buttons to the same per channel, and each slider for channel volume. But I then found out that one slider also wants to control a filter on an app, and another slider wants to control volume on an app on a different channel. I cannot figure out how to undo both of these. I sought help here on the forum and thought I'd figured out the issue (needed to start with a clean set-up) but it persists.

So the NK2 got set aside and I'll try something else. Yes, I guess I need to download a MIDI tool to find out what the NK2 is sending, but to me I should not have to do this for a brand-new product.

Cant really comment without knowing the apps but even Bram apps that have fixed cc. They shouldnt really trigger if you arnt pointing nk2 at the app in aum and you have suggested you use for just aum. Which is midi control of aum. Unless once connected to aum and the app in question does listen to midi and cc just by being in aum and dosent need pointing at app like I said. Or the apps have been given permission for bluetooth. I think apps in aum dont need bt permission but it can be fixed

just by knowing theres hardly any apps with fixed cc. Then just using korg editor to work around the apps in question. When you find the manual for these and they will say the cc.

The korg editor is there for this reason. To fix the issue that isnt from the NK2. What I mean is. Theres a chance you could correct the midi, even without fixing it elsewhere but the main point is you can customise midi, like any controller really. You cant set the midi from the device like a faderfox but you wouldnt not want to be able to edit midi.

Thanks for this (and thanks @krassmann as well), I will follow up with the Korg editor.

• @MarkR said:

@sigma79 said:

@MarkR said:

@krassmann said:
    Korg nanoKontrol 2 is great as a mixer controller. I also have the LaunchControl XL but I find myself using the Korg more often because it is more compact and does what I need. Mostly I’m using the mute and solo buttons with AUM.

I want to love my NK2 with AUM, but I can't.

I set up MIDI learn for the solo and mute buttons to the same per channel, and each slider for channel volume. But I then found out that one slider also wants to control a filter on an app, and another slider wants to control volume on an app on a different channel. I cannot figure out how to undo both of these. I sought help here on the forum and thought I'd figured out the issue (needed to start with a clean set-up) but it persists.

So the NK2 got set aside and I'll try something else. Yes, I guess I need to download a MIDI tool to find out what the NK2 is sending, but to me I should not have to do this for a brand-new product.

Cant really comment without knowing the apps but even Bram apps that have fixed cc. They shouldnt really trigger if you arnt pointing nk2 at the app in aum and you have suggested you use for just aum. Which is midi control of aum. Unless once connected to aum and the app in question does listen to midi and cc just by being in aum and dosent need pointing at app like I said. Or the apps have been given permission for bluetooth. I think apps in aum dont need bt permission but it can be fixed

just by knowing theres hardly any apps with fixed cc. Then just using korg editor to work around the apps in question. When you find the manual for these and they will say the cc.

The korg editor is there for this reason. To fix the issue that isnt from the NK2. What I mean is. Theres a chance you could correct the midi, even without fixing it elsewhere but the main point is you can customise midi, like any controller really. You cant set the midi from the device like a faderfox but you wouldnt not want to be able to edit midi.

Thanks for this (and thanks @krassmann as well), I will follow up with the Korg editor.

No worries. Cant be sure if ideal until mapping but for example and if you could be bothered to switch scenes. Say you had a keyboard. You could map the left buttons to trigger audio and samples, with the 32 buttons plus knobs and faders for mutes and solo and if switching scenes is ok on the fly. The next scene could be 32 buttons set to note. Which could send note input to even generative midi apps/sequencers. So your keyboard would be pads. A launchpad with 64 buttons would be better though for this maybe.

• Waiting for cables. Anyone have an idea how you might map all this to?

• edited May 2021

Might add a launch pad mini. Not sure yet. Will need to find out how to connect via usb and if transposing is better by key rather than knob.

• Be sigma
    2100 controls not enough with pc12
    adds 4000 more with the ec4

<3

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

Be sigma

<3

pc12 is just for drums. Ec4 for scene duties. Effects. Midi chance. Mononoke. mic effects etc. Need ec4 to switch scenes just by encoder though, Not scene button plus encoder. Think I might add a launchpad mini but cant be sure until setup. Kind of just want only the ec4 to switch scenes.

• edited May 2021

I actually believe a launchpad will not only look cool. Will be the needed extra controller. Just need to find out if a twin cck is ok rather than a usb hub and be powered by twin cck.

• @sigma79 said:
    I actually believe a launchpad will not only look cool. Will be the needed extra controller. Just need to find out if a twin cck is ok rather than a usb hub..

LP mini mk3 needs a usb hub in my experience - it will occasionally work for a bit on twin (or single) cck, but not for long until it falls off.

• I use the generic powered cck w/ 2 USB ports from Amazon.
    No issues for the past few years.

• @AlmostAnonymous said:
    I use the generic powered cck w/ 2 USB ports from Amazon.

Rad. So power cable from ipad plug sends power to usb. 2 x usb will be for novation launchpad and the other to zoom u44 ( audio/midi?

• @sigma79 said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

Rad. So power cable from ipad plug sends power to usb. 2 x usb will be for novation launchpad and the other to zoom u44 ( audio/midi?)

One iPad has a launchpad pro and a motu828 on it with the dual usb cck, but my MOTU isn’t bus powered.

• Trying to keep the nanokey to be a humanised bass synth ( through loopbud ) without switching scenes. A loopbud bass should work with euclidean drums ( if not sequencing a bass with euclidean ) The rest is easy to work out. So a launchpad can then be used to transpose drums and generative melodies. With the keyboard for pads. Add some radio unit/gauss on the fly. Mic on the fly. Just tweak the few synths on screen. Ec4 for effects/utilities. No need for making patterns in advance and no standard sequencers. Might sound bad but will be fun. It will sound worse because I cant use ipad until everything is complete. Keeping the faith.

• Pretty much same setup here…pc12, mx12 but instead of ec4 , I have the dj4. Wonder if I can use those 4 encoders for launching scenes…> @sigma79 said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

Be sigma

<3

pc12 is just for drums. Ec4 for scene duties. Effects. Midi chance. Mononoke. mic effects etc. Need ec4 to switch scenes just by encoder though, Not scene button plus encoder. Think I might add a launchpad mini but cant be sure until setup. Kind of just want only the ec4 to switch scenes.

• @sigma79 said:
    Trying to keep the nanokey to be a humanised bass synth ( through loopbud ) without switching scenes. A loopbud bass should work with euclidean drums ( if not sequencing a bass with euclidean ) The rest is easy to work out. So a launchpad can then be used to transpose drums and generative melodies. With the keyboard for pads. Add some radio unit/gauss on the fly. Mic on the fly. Just tweak the few synths on screen. Ec4 for effects/utilities. No need for making patterns in advance and no standard sequencers. Might sound bad but will be fun. It will sound worse because I cant use ipad until everything is complete. Keeping the faith. The vision is there right. You can see it.

• edited May 2021

@Sergiu said:
    Pretty much same setup here…pc12, mx12 but instead of ec4 , I have the dj4. Wonder if I can use those 4 encoders for launching scenes…> @sigma79 said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

Be sigma

<3

Will let you know. Mathias said you can. I could check by adding battery power to zoom but more psu will arrive soon. Iv got 2 x psu. lol dont make sense. Just used to routing ec4 through pc12.

• I need the deck to be dvs also. From zoom to zoom ( so expensive lol ) plus the encoders to switch scenes just with encoder and then.... the launchpad to work I guess.

• Cheers..yeah...I'll give it a spin. thx> @sigma79 said:

I need the deck to be dvs also. From zoom to zoom ( so expensive lol ) plus the encoders to switch scenes just with encoder and then.... the launchpad to work I guess.

• edited May 2021

@Sergiu said:
    Cheers..yeah...I'll give it a spin. thx> @sigma79 said:

I need the deck to be dvs also. From zoom to zoom ( so expensive lol ) plus the encoders to switch scenes just with encoder and then.... the launchpad to work I guess.

Sure man.

• edited May 2021

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@sigma79 said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

Rad. So power cable from ipad plug sends power to usb. 2 x usb will be for novation launchpad and the other to zoom u44 ( audio/midi?)

One iPad has a launchpad pro and a motu828 on it with the dual usb cck, but my MOTU isn’t bus powered.

With an adaptor like this. Should it work. You plug in apple charger. The usual data cable to zoom u44 for audio and midi. Then plug launchpad into other usb. Should the apple charger power the launchpad as well as the ipad? How do people usually add a usb controller if the cck3 port is already used for audio interface? A hub? Can the launchpad be mapped so any pad be a different midi channel and a different note per pad?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Light-ning-Compatible-Support-Required/dp/B08348S64N/ref=pd_lpo_23_t_0/259-9307253-4172858?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B08348S64N&pd_rd_r=3575e09d-508f-4407-a31c-a03fefd942b6&pd_rd_w=sKi0J&pd_rd_wg=7DVvE&pf_rd_p=3366510f-1771-44b5-99e2-20c1889506ac&pf_rd_r=F5JXWSHH7TAT7HKTY7AR&psc=1&refRID=F5JXWSHH7TAT7HKTY7AR

Was checking the akai apc mini as its just for key transposing but might be annoyed if the launchpad is way better as pads but thought the faders could be cool but not sure if its got a midi editor and if apc works with ios. Every pad be a different midi ch if needed. Every pad be a different note if needed. Faders from 1-9 mapped to aum faders but launchpad might be better.