Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Help with zoom u44 - no stereo!

Hello guys!
Desperate here. I have a setup with a couple of synths and a looper connected to a small behringer xenyx mixer. So far so good. I want to be able to use the ipad as ”looper food”, and also use midi from aum into my hardware synths - so I connect my ipad into a zoom u44 interface. So far still good.
However: Now I don’t get the next step. I want to be able to record the loud and clear audio from the looper (and also my mixer output) into AUM on my ipad. BUT I DON’T get it. How? I try to pass the audio into the two inputs of the zoom, but can’t get stereo audio into the ipad AT ALL from that. So - do I need another hardware ... thingy? ONE MORE small, simple interface - that actually records stereo into the ipad?
Sigh. Any help here means a lot!
Thanks!
Simon

Comments

• Do you have a picture of the setup? To show where things are connected?

• A picture won’t help here, I am afraid.
    But my main issue right now is that I want the audio from main out of the behringer mixer into the zoom interface so I can get it into aum as a nice quality stereo feed. Totally impossible. Is as mono as it gets. I use two standard instrument cables, one from left, one from right - into the two inputs on the zoom. Am I doing it wrong? Why is mono+mono mono? Or perhaps audio can’t do what math can in this case? :)

• Not sure if this is the issue but on my zoom I didnt connect the headphones properly but that might not be what you mean by mono.

• Do you not just select inputs 1 and 2 in aum. Not 1+2 then pan?

• What are your options when you create an audio track in AUM and select hardware input as a source? Are you only getting input 1 and input 2 from your zoom or also a stereo input?

If you are only getting two mono inputs you could create two tracks in AUM, select input 1 for the first track, insert stereo panning and pan it hard left. For the second track select input 2 and pan it hard right. Then for the output of those two tracks select e.g. mix bus A. Now create a third track where you’ll select mix bus A as a source and engage record on that track. You should now get a stereo recording as a result.

If that doesn’t work check if you are sending a stereo signal from your mixer. Maybe all your channels are panned to the center

• Are you checking the stereo live or during playback? I ask because Direct Monitoring in Audio Interface mode sums inputs 1+2 to mono before feeding to the output, but recording should still be in stereo if AUM is set up correctly.

• Hmm. Have to try this.
    I think I have 1+2 and 1-or-2 to choose from. Always assumed 1+2 was stereo, should be, right?

PaulB, that’s perhaps something I have to check. Maybe that’s a clue. Because that kind of summing is what I am hearing :)

Will try more tonight.
    I am getting my MC-101, so one more source of audio - into my already-crammed mixer. Talk about overload. Got some kind of passive mixer I have to use - time to get a new mixer perhaps? :)

Thanks everyone who’s trying to help!!

@branis said:
    What are your options when you create an audio track in AUM and select hardware input as a source? Are you only getting input 1 and input 2 from your zoom or also a stereo input?

If you are only getting two mono inputs you could create two tracks in AUM, select input 1 for the first track, insert stereo panning and pan it hard left. For the second track select input 2 and pan it hard right. Then for the output of those two tracks select e.g. mix bus A. Now create a third track where you’ll select mix bus A as a source and engage record on that track. You should now get a stereo recording as a result.

If that doesn’t work check if you are sending a stereo signal from your mixer. Maybe all your channels are panned to the center

• @SimRed Let us know how you get on.

• I haven’t used it in some time, I recall my 44 mixes the inputs to mono for some bizarre reason. It feeds stereo to my iPad just fine. Look at the signal flow chart at the back of the manual, it shows inputs 1&2 feeding left and right output busses. But inputs 3&4 work as expected, however you need the plug in module for the inputs. And I don’t believe they are phantom powered. It makes no sense and pisses me off. It’s obviously a “feature “.

• @dougdi said:
    I haven’t used it in some time, I recall my 44 mixes the inputs to mono for some bizarre reason. It feeds stereo to my iPad just fine. Look at the signal flow chart at the back of the manual, it shows inputs 1&2 feeding left and right output busses. But inputs 3&4 work as expected, however you need the plug in module for the inputs. And I don’t believe they are phantom powered. It makes no sense and pisses me off. It’s obviously a “feature “.

For my use, it is actually a great feature for previewing two mono sources before they go into my DAW.
    It would be annoying to have each one from a separate speaker.

• I was hoping to use it as a stand-alone mic pre to feed my Sony recorder. If the mix function was switched then it would be perfect for that use. Aside from that, it’s excellent.

• I get it, that makes sense.

@jolico said:

@dougdi said:
    I haven’t used it in some time, I recall my 44 mixes the inputs to mono for some bizarre reason. It feeds stereo to my iPad just fine. Look at the signal flow chart at the back of the manual, it shows inputs 1&2 feeding left and right output busses. But inputs 3&4 work as expected, however you need the plug in module for the inputs. And I don’t believe they are phantom powered. It makes no sense and pisses me off. It’s obviously a “feature “.

For my use, it is actually a great feature for previewing two mono sources before they go into my DAW.
    It would be annoying to have each one from a separate speaker.

• @dougdi said:
    I was hoping to use it as a stand-alone mic pre to feed my Sony recorder. If the mix function was switched then it would be perfect for that use. Aside from that, it’s excellent.

It doesn’t sum the inputs in Standalone mode, only in Interface mode.

• Actually, I can’t wrap my head around this.
    Still only get a mono recording.
    And the schematics ... a tad complicated for my tastes :(
    Man, it’s so close getting where I want. :(

• @SimRed said:
    Actually, I can’t wrap my head around this.
    Still only get a mono recording.
    And the schematics ... a tad complicated for my tastes :(
    Man, it’s so close getting where I want. :(

Did you try turning the dial as shown?

I am not sure I understand how you have things set up. Since many here use this interface and get stereo output, it seems likely this is a setup issue.

It would help if you posted a picture of the interface showing its connections and settings and also screenshots of the AUM setup. Also, a more precise description of everything that is connected would help.

• Try plugging the looper directly without the behringer.