Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How does everybody here interface audio and midi with ipads, and computers?

edited April 2021 in Support and Feedback

I ususually use my iconnect midi2+ to send audio and midi both directions between my ipad( or iphone) and my desktop Daw. However after my last ios phone update. the audio is not transferring between devices, corectly( i think it may be getting aged out)

what do you guys use?

Comments

• here are the process i’m trying to replicate with whatever new interface i get.
    1. i use synth and or fx apps on my ios device( ipad or iphone) and rout the audio into Cuba’s work on my desktop
    2. I use the ios device for sending midi to my desktop
    3. is send midi from my desktop into the ios device, and rout that audio back into my desktop cubase for recording
    4 I send audio from my desktop into fix apps on my ios device and back out for recording in my desktop cubase pro

• I use a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 because I need the multiple ins and outs for a number of music projects. They have a few different ones depending how many ins/outs you need. They have always been plug and play with Apple hardware.

• cool do you process midi that way too

• maybe this? does anybody have one of these? if so can you send midi via the usb port ? https://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/zedi-10/

• @eross said:
    cool do you process midi that way too

Yes. Although my only hardware/midi device is a Mellotron M4000D Mini, but the Focusrite has a midi in and out so I do use the Mellotron as a controller for iPad music apps.

• @jblock said:

@eross said:

Yes. Although my only hardware/midi device is a Mellotron M4000D Mini, but the Focusrite has a midi in and out so I do use the Mellotron as a controller for iPad music apps.

so does it do midi both directions via usb midi, or is it just the midi port? i’d love to be able to send midi from my desktop to play ipad synths, and record it back into my desktop. is that possible?

• @eross said:

@jblock said:

@eross said:

so does it do midi both directions via usb midi, or is it just the midi port? i’d love to be able to send midi from my desktop to play ipad synths, and record it back into my desktop. is that possible?

IDAM does that if you have a Mac, just connect to your Mac using a lightning to usb cable

• edited April 2021

Yes, IDAM. or the midimittr app. But they only give one MIDI port, compared to 10 ports with mio2.

But isn’t mio2 just for MIDI? How were you sending audio between your devices?
    UPD. Oops, my bad. MIDI2+, not mio2. The former does have audio passthru

• @mrufino1 said:

@eross said:

@jblock said:

@eross said:

IDAM does that if you have a Mac, just connect to your Mac using a lightning to usb cable

but in idam, audio only can go from ipad to the computer, but not from the computer to the ipad?

• i’m stating to think i might just get a irig pro duo i/O and plug that into my ipad, and then just send audio. and midi in and out of the ipad that way?
    anybody else have that?

• @eross said:

@mrufino1 said:

@eross said:

@jblock said:

@eross said:

but in idam, audio only can go from ipad to the computer, but not from the computer to the ipad?

Correct, but that’s what you indicated- send midi to iPad from Mac, record the audio from iPad into Mac. That’s what idam will do.

• @mrufino1 said:

@eross said:

@mrufino1 said:

@eross said:

@jblock said:

@eross said:

Correct, but that’s what you indicated- send midi to iPad from Mac, record the audio from iPad into Mac. That’s what idam will do.

4 I send audio from my desktop into fix apps on my ios device and back out for recording in my desktop cubase pro

I think @eross was looking for bidirectional audio and MIDI.

I’m curious about this too – a friend just asked me the exact same question. I don’t personally need it for my setup, but is there a general solution to hooking up multiple USB audio/midi devices and routing it on the fly?

• I’m going to want to connect headphones, power, an external 1-2 TB SSD, possibly a MIDI keyboard to my new iPad Pro.

Which ports or connectors would folks most recommend to keep this set up as small and efficient as possible?

• @orchid said:

@mrufino1 said:

@eross said:

@mrufino1 said:

@eross said:

@jblock said:

@eross said:

I think @eross was looking for bidirectional audio and MIDI.

I’m curious about this too – a friend just asked me the exact same question. I don’t personally need it for my setup, but is there a general solution to hooking up multiple USB audio/midi devices and routing it on the fly?

Studiomux works well for me at the moment with iPad and MacBook, but i can only send audio both ways on iOS13.

In iOS 14 the original functionality is limited, but I am able to send the stereo output from AUM (possibly more channels would work, haven’t tried) to Ableton on my laptop. Then all the midi devices connected to my laptop appear in AUM as if they were connected direct to the iPad, this is the advantage for me over IDAM.

• am i the only one that hooks up midi cables from MBP audio interface <--> iPad audio interface? that way you can have Logic be the master clock with iPad syncing (using MIDI Link Sync), running AUM and ableton sync on the mac. that way both mac and iPad have audio interfaces and you can take advantage of what each platform does best... jamming this way is great as well.

• Either using iConnectAudio 4+ or using ES8/ES-9 Eurorack modules.

• I use an ica4+

• Via a MIDI interface, a USB hub, and a USB mixer/audio interface.

• Looks like there is a new device by iconnectivity (I saw it posted somewhere else too). Haven't tried it, but it looks like it would do what you're wanting.
    https://www.iconnectivity.com/audio4c