Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

WoodSynth 2.0

There was some discussion of this in the old WoodSynth thread but I reckon it deserves its own thread.

I don't own it but this update seems very attractive. What are your experiences with it?

Here's what's new (copied from Synthtopia):

• Added multi-point ADSR display/editor for the Amplitude Envelope.
  • Added FM synthesis (Phase modulation between the main oscillators).
  • Added source selection for the main LFO’s:

• LFO signal can now come from the samples of any of the 4 layers.
    • LFO signal can come from the track or side chain audio (low-passed or RMS)
  • Added unison mode per layer (4 layers * 16 voices -> 64 voices !).

• Added Aux Envelope ADSR routing to: Phase modulation (FM synthesis), Ring Modulation of OSC1&2, LFO frequency modulation, Crossfade OSC1&2
  • Added oscilloscope window.
  • Added Midi Learn for almost all controls.
  • Layer Velocity and Pressure popups are now multiple selection panels.
  • Added volume control for each step in the sequencers.
  • Added Parameter2 control for each step which can be routed to :?Filter Up/Down?Filter Q?LFO frequency modulation
  • Added oscillator and samples frequency modulation to the main LFO’s.
  • Added 15 presets.
  • When not using iCloud the AUv3 presets will be copied into a “from_auv3” folder in the stand-alone app.

http://www.woodmansimmaculatemaplesyrupstudio.be/

Comments

• It’s not the fattest, nicest sounding synth and it took me a while to get used to wood’s plugin interfaces, but I’ve grown to appreciate this synth. It’s got a lot of power and flexibility.

• I couldn’t get into this one, and I wanted to, because I think his other apps are great. Doesn’t have a really great sound to it, or doesn’t click with me at least. It’s also not at all a problem after a little time, but it is weird using the interface at first because there’s no hint of skeumorphism that this is a synth. My brain has come to rely on that staple of synth UIs I guess.

• Can I freq-modulate one Osc with another without hearing the first one? So only the modulated Osc will be heared?

• I don’t use it much at all but I think it’s a great synth, especially for those of us who tweak and make our own presets. I think the weakest thing about it is still the preset browser, not really a fan of it. I don’t think people who like and use presets will really get a lot of mileage as there aren’t many presets unless they can get ahold of 3rd party ones.
    I think it has a lot of options , starting with 4 layers with 4 oscillators each. I don’t use it much mainly because I have a lot of synths and just can’t use all of them all of the time.

• @Satie : yes perfectly possible, just switch OSC2 (which is Phase modulating OSC 1) off or turn its level all the way down.
    Woodman

• @Stribiz : yes bigger companies have dedicated people making presets but I am a single developer and there is only 24 hours in a day :-) however (everybody) feel free to send me your presets and I will gladly add them to the factory presets in a next version ...
    Woodman

• I like the “not in your face” quality of this synth. I am new to it and have only been using presets, but it’s great to have a synth that simply fits in well.

• edited May 2021

@woodman said:
    @Satie : yes perfectly possible, just switch OSC2 (which is Phase modulating OSC 1) off or turn its level all the way down.
    Woodman

Thanks - I get it now.

Could it be that Ableton Link doesn’t function? I‘m trying it in AUM - I have to set the BPM manually. In „advanced“ I could not activate it - I assumed, in a daw it is per se on.

• @Satie : just checked the Ableton Link and it works however I had to try a few times to slide the on switch in the Ableton Link settings panel. (After setting the WoodSynth button on the first time , you have to push the Settings button and enable Link in the Ableton Link panel. Once on it will be remembered).
    Let me know if this works.
    Woodman

• @woodman said:
    @Satie : just checked the Ableton Link and it works however I had to try a few times to slide the on switch in the Ableton Link settings panel. (After setting the WoodSynth button on the first time , you have to push the Settings button and enable Link in the Ableton Link panel. Once on it will be remembered).
    Let me know if this works.
    Woodman

Ok - after 20 tries (at last I engaged my daughter with her smaller finger to do the switch) it is activated now.

• @Satie : haha ok good to hear and luckily you only have to do this once, when you want to switch off Ableton Link, use the WoodSynth button. But I'll investigate a bit further as it does not seem to be normal that the responsiveness is so bad.
    Woodman

• @woodman said:
    @Stribiz : yes bigger companies have dedicated people making presets but I am a single developer and there is only 24 hours in a day :-) however (everybody) feel free to send me your presets and I will gladly add them to the factory presets in a next version ...
    Woodman

I have a good amount of presets to send your way to see if they are useable for you. I just moved cities so might be later next week.

• @Shiloh : tnx a lot, that is fantastic !

• I have a problem with this synth, please help, or I’m gonna lose my mind :)

The problem is with the preset browser… it doesn’t work, not on my iPad or my iPhone…
    I deleted it and reinstalled it, and swish… all the presets are gone, and I can’t get them back whatever I try.

I would much appreciate your sharp brains on this.

• @Kühl said:
    I have a problem with this synth, please help, or I’m gonna lose my mind :)

The problem is with the preset browser… it doesn’t work, not on my iPad or my iPhone…
    I deleted it and reinstalled it, and swish… all the presets are gone, and I can’t get them back whatever I try.

Are you able to see the Woodsynth folder in your files app? All the presets should be stored there as .json files. The app should see the presets in that folder. I’m not sure how to help if it doesn’t

• Anyone having issues with the gui? Seems like it has trouble loading for me when I’m using it on my phone and lags a lot if I try to move the au window around

• @Fingolfinzz said:
    Anyone having issues with the gui? Seems like it has trouble loading for me when I’m using it on my phone and lags a lot if I try to move the au window around

iPad only here. Haven't used it on an iPhone. Sorry.

• @Shiloh said:

@Kühl said:
    I have a problem with this synth, please help, or I’m gonna lose my mind :)

Are you able to see the Woodsynth folder in your files app? All the presets should be stored there as .json files. The app should see the presets in that folder. I’m not sure how to help if it doesn’t

No I don’t have anything in the woodsynth folder… it’s blank. And when I try to find the presets in the app, nothing happens…

• @Shiloh said:

@Fingolfinzz said:
    Anyone having issues with the gui? Seems like it has trouble loading for me when I’m using it on my phone and lags a lot if I try to move the au window around

Yeah , I have it on iPad, but I can’t get the presets, not on iPad nor the iPhone… same shit, woodsyntht folder is blank.

• edited February 2022

@Kühl said:

@Shiloh said:

@Fingolfinzz said:

Yeah , I have it on iPad, but I can’t get the presets, not on iPad nor the iPhone… same shit, woodsyntht folder is blank.

Here is a copy of the factory folder. Unzip it in the Woodsynth folder and see if that helps.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nHcKWWioSBJAaphxMeLKuoxjgHzfzuDP/view?usp=drivesdk

• I'm interested in buying Woodsynth. Wish there were more videos on it.

Can someone tell me if this technique is possible in Woodsynth? I want to load samples in the layers. Then slice those samples. Then automate the start point with a random LFO, then use the sequencer to make some interesting patterns. Can Woodsynth do this in a musical way? For example, if I tried this technique with an amen break, could I get an ever evolving drum beat, (if the slices were cut correctly)?

I'm not sure if you can slice samples in Woodsynth, but I think I read something about slicing in one of the updates.

• @FrontierBadger said:
    I'm interested in buying Woodsynth. Wish there were more videos on it.

Can someone tell me if this technique is possible in Woodsynth? I want to load samples in the layers. Then slice those samples. Then automate the start point with a random LFO, then use the sequencer to make some interesting patterns. Can Woodsynth do this in a musical way? For example, if I tried this technique with an amen break, could I get an ever evolving drum beat, (if the slices were cut correctly)?

I'm not sure if you can slice samples in Woodsynth, but I think I read something about slicing in one of the updates.

You CAN’T set the LFO destination in Woodsynth to sample start. While you can set the sample to play a random slice and adjust the width of the random slice, it’s not a slicer in the traditional sense.

Hope that helps.

• Ok, I have an idea of how the random slice function might work. That's weird that you couldn't set the LFO to sample start. Hmm. I'm going to have to think about this one. Thanks for your response.

• @FrontierBadger @Shiloh
    hi guys, just reading these posts : indeed you can't use the general LFO to modulate the slice start, however the Samples panel has its own "LFO Mod" depth rotary (using the frequency set by the OSC2 LFO) which will modulate the slice start.
    But if deemed very useful, I can also add this to the general LFO's in a next version.
    Never hesitate to let me know if you want/need extra functionality.
    grtz, Woodman

• @FrontierBadger @Shiloh
    fyi : next version has the slice start mod in both LFO1 and LFO2.
    I also added slice start to Par2 in the Sequencer allowing to have a different slice start per step.

Woodman

• @woodman said:
    @FrontierBadger @Shiloh
    fyi : next version has the slice start mod in both LFO1 and LFO2.
    I also added slice start to Par2 in the Sequencer allowing to have a different slice start per step.

Woodman

Very nice!

• @woodman said:
    @FrontierBadger @Shiloh
    hi guys, just reading these posts : indeed you can't use the general LFO to modulate the slice start, however the Samples panel has its own "LFO Mod" depth rotary (using the frequency set by the OSC2 LFO) which will modulate the slice start.
    But if deemed very useful, I can also add this to the general LFO's in a next version.
    Never hesitate to let me know if you want/need extra functionality.
    grtz, Woodman

This is why I love this place. Direct communication between users and developers. Best resource around.

• Version 2.4 is out:

• Added Notch Filter type.
    • Added Slice Start modulation to LFO1 and LFO2 (see preset “Dancing on Slice”).
    • Added Slice Start to Sequencer PAR2 (see preset “Slicequencer”).
    • OSC3 phase modulation now done by the samples (was by OSC1)
    • Added velocity to Slice Start.
    • Added velocity to Filter Attack time (velocity 100% -> Attack Time = 0)
    • Bpm DAW button now default on.

• Fix : touch bar now also working when midi channel set > 0 in layer.

• Fixed velocity and pressure in Filter Up/Down when Filter/Voice is switched off.

Added presets :

• After The Tornado (bass, used live by The Radar Station)
    • Dancing on Slice (bass, demo of LFO1 slice start modulation)
    • I Moan (bass, used live by The Radar Station)
    • POY (Pictures Of You, bass, used live by The Radar Station)
    • Slicequencer (bass, demo of Sequencer PAR2 modulating slice start)
    • Warm Brass (lead, uses keyboard velocity)
    • 4 Seasons, 1 Note (pad, the 4 layer sounds are played by the same note)
    • Cinematic Pad (pad, very slow attack, PM modulation)

• Thanks @White
    This synth keeps getting more interesting.