Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ToneStack PRO by Yonac Inc. - Released

Comments

• Even if amp and cab sims aren’t your cup of tea you can always use this as a guitar multi effect pedal.

OG TS was ahead of the curve when it came to midi implementation.

• Tonestack has some good wah effects. The whole enchilada seems like a good deal at this intro price. Tonestack + MixBox + Nembrini amps for the full collection.

• @Ben said:
    Sorry if this has been answered. Long thread though.
    I have the old version with bass IAP’s. Will any of it transfer or will it be supported for future use?
    Thanks.

No, everything is a completely separate purchase. They had planned to have the IAP's transfer but couldn't work it out within the App Store, so had to rethink things.

• wimwim
    edited April 2021

@ExAsperis99 said:
    The cost doesn't matter if it sounds good! (See: Compressor, Magic Death Eye.)

But if it doesn't sound good, it doesn't matter how much of a bargain it is.

And to be clear, it remains to be seen how good ToneStack sounds.

So, my opinion is ... the new app sounds like the old one. No better, no worse. To me it's just like loading the old one up in AUv3.

After sleeping on it, I've decided it's not enough to move me off of the couple of Nembrini amps I've settled on, but plenty enough to make the boatload of FX worth the intro price. I'm going for the IAP for that reason. Maybe I'll find some gold in the additional amps. It's also very likely the convenience factor of not having to chain together tuner, FX, amp, IR, and more FX will result in using TS more than I think.

Plus, prior to my current favorites, ToneStack was the first amp sim that I was ever happy with after more than 25 years of trying sims, floor units, etc. So, there's a lot of emotional attachment there, and I'm so happy to have it as AUv3. B)

Bottom line (for me): Good? Yes, very good. Fantastic? Not compared to my new favorites as far as the amps and cabs go. Worthwhile? Yes, for the tons of really good FX and for the convenience.

Off to hit Buy before I change my mind.

• wimwim
    edited April 2021

@ocelot said:
    Are the effects in Tonestack Pro stereo? I saw that the amps now have a mono/stereo switch.

Yes where it makes sense. Reverb and ping-pong delay don't make much sense without stereo. Other things like distortion pedals don't need to be stereo.

I'm not sure what sense there is in having an amp be stereo unless it has reverb built-in. But the switch is there.

• @celtic_elk said:

@NeuM said:
    A single real-world effects pedal might cost $50.

Or $500, depending on the pedal. (I'm not even talking about arguably-overpriced boutique analog stuff - the Eventide Space was $499 at launch.)

Exactly.

• @wim said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    The cost doesn't matter if it sounds good! (See: Compressor, Magic Death Eye.)

But if it doesn't sound good, it doesn't matter how much of a bargain it is.

And to be clear, it remains to be seen how good ToneStack sounds.

So, my opinion is ... the new app sounds like the old one. No better, no worse. To me like loading the old one up in AUv3.

After sleeping on it, I've decided it's not enough to move me off of the Nembrini amps I've settled on, but plenty enough to make the boatload of FX worth the intro price. I'm going for the IAP for that reason. Maybe I'll find some gold in the additional amps. It's also very likely the convenience factor of not having to chain together FX, amp, IR, and more FX will result in using TS more than I think.

Plus, prior to my current favorites, ToneStack was the first amp sim that I was ever happy with after 20 years of trying sims, floor units, etc. So, there's a lot of emotional attachment there, and I'm so happy to have it as AUv3. B)

Bottom line (for me): Good? Yes, very good. Fantastic? Not compared to my new favorites. Worthwhile? Yes, for tons of FX and for convenience.

Off to hit Buy before I change my mind.

This is exactly the review I was looking for. I truly don't care about some pristine, mythical tone. (I mean, I'd probably drop a ton of money if somebody put together the complete "OK Computer" amp-and-effect sim collection. But I also like Guided by Voices records and Stooges records; anything can sound great depending on the context.)

And the convenience is hard to beat.

• wimwim
    edited April 2021

Glad it helped.

My only hesitation was I'm trying to avoid over-abundance of choices to distract me. But I think I can handle this, and I'm figuring I had that with old TS anyway, so what the heck.

I'm not going anywhere near the THU Pandora's box. I don't care for the app in the first place (after trying to like it no less than four times), and the sheer potential for unproductive (for me) overindulgence is something I want no part of. This is a good compromise IMO.

I can't believe I'm saying this after 30 years, but my software guitar toolbox is complete.

• edited April 2021

24 hrs later.

I'm in agreement, Tonestack 4 auv3 sounds
    like Tonestack 3 except It's now auv3.
    I think this is a good thing.
    Tonestack 3 up until yesterday's update
    was my go to guitar effects processor etc.
    The nice thing about Tonestack being auv3 now
    is that we can now drop in the effects we need
    on whatever sound source, it doesn't have to be guitar.
    The studio effects in the IAP bundle is worth it for that alone.
    Now that it's auv3, it's become a very serious Swiss Army knife.
    It's a lot of fun.

• wimwim
    edited April 2021

I forgot to mention: The acoustic amp sim - even the one in the base version - is surprisingly good and SO handy. That alone made the base purchase worthwhile IMO. I'd be happy with the base purchase even if the rest was useless just because of that.

• @wim said:
    I forgot to mention: The acoustic amp sim - even the one in the base version - is surprisingly good and SO handy. That alone made the base purchase worthwhile IMO. I'd be happy with the base purchase even if the rest was useless just because of that.

I do like their Acoustic sim also.

• Thanks @wim.

Trying out the base Tonestack Pro now.
    Also finally downloaded the 1gb THU and gee whiz! Modeling has come a long way.
    Let's see if I can capture my youth (70s silverface Bassman 50 and Ampeg 2x12 closed-back).

MixBox? Is that the 500 series by IK?

• @wim said:

I assume you mean playing an electric to sound like an acoustic?

• I suppose it's supposed to be like a Boss AC-2. Simulator. Anyone remember what Skid Row used on 'I Remember You' to make the electric guitar sound like an acoustic? I think the song pre-dates the AC-2.

• @ocelot said:
    I suppose it's supposed to be like a Boss AC-2. Simulator. Anyone remember what Skid Row used on 'I Remember You' to make the electric guitar sound like an acoustic? I think the song pre-dates the AC-2.

ToneStack Acoustic Sim > Boss Acoustic Simulator

I'm a Boss fan, but some Boss pedal are a fail IMHO and this is one of it.

• I never had any of the AC-series, but had an AD-8 I used on my electrics and thought it was amazing. But that was years ago. :smile:

Good to know that the Tonestack version sounds better.

• @ocelot said:
    I never had any of the AC-series, but had an AD-8 I used on my electrics and thought it was amazing. But that was years ago. :smile:

Good to know that the Tonestack version sounds better.

I prefer the ToneStack acoustic sim. It's just my taste.

Zoom G1 FOUR is a good choice also if you prefer hardware. Best bang for the buck for a hardware guitar multi-effects.

• Haven't tried Zoom in years, will have to check their latest models. I used to have an obsession with ultra-low wattage tube amps, but ditched it all for NI Guitar Rig. Nice to have AU3 options on an iPhone now. Pretty amazing actually, imo.

• @Montreal_Music said:
    Zoom G1 FOUR is a good choice also if you prefer hardware. Best bang for the buck for a hardware guitar multi-effects.

I like Zoom and agree that it is affordable, though NUX MG-30 might give it a go. However, I would opt for Line 6 HX Stomp or kin because of the vibrant community and generous firmware updates.

Line 6 Helix Native in AUv3 would be awesome.

• so... how about for a non guitar player? any use for the FX? I love some of the yonac synths, so im tempted to grab this anyways.

• @mojozart said:

@Montreal_Music said:

I like Zoom and agree that it is affordable, though NUX MG-30 might give it a go. However, I would opt for Line 6 HX Stomp or kin because of the vibrant community and generous firmware updates.

Line 6 Helix Native in AUv3 would be awesome.

Line 6 HX Stomp: 600 USD$
    Zoom G1 FOUR: 90 USD$

The sound quality is super high with the Zoom. No reason to be ashamed in comparasion with the Line 6.

• @wim said:

@Ben said:
    Sorry if this has been answered. Long thread though.
    I have the old version with bass IAP’s. Will any of it transfer or will it be supported for future use?
    Thanks.

No, everything is a completely separate purchase. They had planned to have the IAP's transfer but couldn't work it out within the App Store, so had to rethink things.

Thanks Mr. wim.

• I'm such a sucker. Bought it and the IAPs too, I think the all-in-one kind of helps since that is what I am used to. I'll do a back to back with my Nembrini apps including bypassing the built in speaker sounds for some of my IRs, which is what I think makes the Nembrini apps sound so much better. Fingers crossed.

I'm also looking forward to Flo's review when he gets back. (and any others, I seem to appreciate them more when I've bought an app and can use the review to justify my purchase)

• The Acousticizer is the acoustic sim that was lauded earlier in the thread? Or does that require the IAP?

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    The Acousticizer is the acoustic sim that was lauded earlier in the thread? Or does that require the IAP?

It’s in the base package.

• wimwim
    edited April 2021

Yeh, the Acousticizer. It's worth the base price.
    I was never too crazy about the equivalents that are in the TS original package. I haven't tried the new IAP ones, but I was pleased with the Acousticizer one last night.

But what I'm sayin' here is while no acoustic player is going to be thrilled about a simulation, if you've been in enough situations like I have where a quick-change between guitars on stage is terrifying at best and a disaster at worst, or if you can't be waking people up playing acoustic late at night, or if you just want to quickly try out something without all the hassle ... well, perfect isn't required.

• I’m back after giving it another shot. It seems I’m not alone in hearing no DSP improvement from the old one.

I’m definitely cool with THU (and the new Flying Haggis for a quick noodle on iPhone).

• @ocelot said:
    Haven't tried Zoom in years, will have to check their latest models. I used to have an obsession with ultra-low wattage tube amps, but ditched it all for NI Guitar Rig. Nice to have AU3 options on an iPhone now. Pretty amazing actually, imo.

Same. I had a Zoom multi fx for guitar 15 or more years ago. It was the pusiest pile of pus I had ever plugged my guitar into. It was so brittle it made a fuzz pedal sound like a chorus. After many, many videos I convinced myself they might be worth a second go so I bought the A1X Four. It sounds good and does all I want for acoustic work. They've come a long way in my opinion.

• Anyone remember what Skid Row used on 'I Remember You' to make the electric guitar sound like an acoustic? I think the song pre-dates the AC-2.

Haha, talk about nostalgia. What I remember from the Guitar mag interview in the early 90s - their acoustic was broken, so they just double-tracked their Super Strat and added effects in post. Notice that his Strat is missing a string? (Ignore the acoustic in the video, that's just for show).

• @Ailerom said:

@ocelot said:
    Haven't tried Zoom in years, will have to check their latest models. I used to have an obsession with ultra-low wattage tube amps, but ditched it all for NI Guitar Rig. Nice to have AU3 options on an iPhone now. Pretty amazing actually, imo.

Same. I had a Zoom multi fx for guitar 15 or more years ago. It was the pusiest pile of pus I had ever plugged my guitar into. It was so brittle it made a fuzz pedal sound like a chorus. After many, many videos I convinced myself they might be worth a second go so I bought the A1X Four. It sounds good and does all I want for acoustic work. They've come a long way in my opinion.

Hahaha, I totally had a Zoom 505 as my first effects unit starting out in the late 90s in jr. high. It sounded terrible. There was in particular this one sample and hold computerized effect that literally made me puke once.