Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Artiphon Instrument 1 and Orba Users Sub-Forum

2»

Comments

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@mjcouche said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    @steve99 Thanks for all the cool ideas for Bluetooth Instrument 1--sure would be nice if Artiphon took what they learned from Orba BT MIDI and applied to Instrument 1, eh? According to their customer service folks, they would love to hear from users if that is something that would be preferable in future versions of the I1.

I have a question, which I fear is kind of dumb but I haven't been able to find any confirmation online as I research the I1: when plugged directly into the iPhone or iPad, do the I1 speakers act as a monitoring source for the entire iOS device? Meaning, if I have AUM rocking some backing tracks can I monitor those simultaneously to monitoring the instrument sound?

That is correct.

That is pretty handy. Thanks for confirming!

Anyone try the Jammy G and have a comparison to the I1?

I’ve got both. G is the original one right? There is so much to tweak with Jammy and you can get very close to fingerpicking a guitar if you spend some time working on it. Their customer service is extremely responsive and they helped me tweak to great settings. You can send them midi files and then they will analyze to get an idea of what settings needs to change. With a good acoustic guitar and some precise picking you can really get a good sound (and it feels realistic too). Slides, hammer-ons and pull offs are harder to do on I1. I usually use I1 in a different way, for SWAM etc, though Jammy has started to incorporate some MPE as well (by sliding your fingers on the picking hand up and down the strings). It really depends on what you are hoping to use it for. Let me know if you have more questions.

In general I reach for the I1, but I am using it for MPE for orchestral voicings (well, trying). The Jammy would be good for quiet practice and travel.

• @mjcouche said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@mjcouche said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    @steve99 Thanks for all the cool ideas for Bluetooth Instrument 1--sure would be nice if Artiphon took what they learned from Orba BT MIDI and applied to Instrument 1, eh? According to their customer service folks, they would love to hear from users if that is something that would be preferable in future versions of the I1.

I have a question, which I fear is kind of dumb but I haven't been able to find any confirmation online as I research the I1: when plugged directly into the iPhone or iPad, do the I1 speakers act as a monitoring source for the entire iOS device? Meaning, if I have AUM rocking some backing tracks can I monitor those simultaneously to monitoring the instrument sound?

That is correct.

I’ve got both. G is the original one right? There is so much to tweak with Jammy and you can get very close to fingerpicking a guitar if you spend some time working on it. Their customer service is extremely responsive and they helped me tweak to great settings. You can send them midi files and then they will analyze to get an idea of what settings needs to change. With a good acoustic guitar and some precise picking you can really get a good sound (and it feels realistic too). Slides, hammer-ons and pull offs are harder to do on I1. I usually use I1 in a different way, for SWAM etc, though Jammy has started to incorporate some MPE as well (by sliding your fingers on the picking hand up and down the strings). It really depends on what you are hoping to use it for. Let me know if you have more questions.

In general I reach for the I1, but I am using it for MPE for orchestral voicings (well, trying). The Jammy would be good for quiet practice and travel.

Thanks for generously sharing your observations. Yes, the jammy G is the one that has been out for a while. As I understand it, the E has been delayed due to supply chain challenges. I generally use finger picking techniques (pulls and hammers) so perhaps the Jammy would be better. That said, I’ve adapted my playing for MIDI guitar 2 and believe I could adapt to I2 as well. I’m attracted to the I2 because it seems less fussy than the Jammy. More plug and play. Seem right?

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@mjcouche said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@mjcouche said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

That is correct.

Thanks for generously sharing your observations. Yes, the jammy G is the one that has been out for a while. As I understand it, the E has been delayed due to supply chain challenges. I generally use finger picking techniques (pulls and hammers) so perhaps the Jammy would be better. That said, I’ve adapted my playing for MIDI guitar 2 and believe I could adapt to I2 as well. I’m attracted to the I2 because it seems less fussy than the Jammy. More plug and play. Seem right?

Yes definitely more plug and play. It’s what I reach for. Easy to kind of have a physical GeoShred type instrument in your hands.

• @mjcouche said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@mjcouche said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@mjcouche said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

That is correct.

Yes definitely more plug and play. It’s what I reach for. Easy to kind of have a physical GeoShred type instrument in your hands.

Appreciate the feedback!

• edited May 2022

Orba 2 just launched, adding sample player and quantisation with the price jacked to $150, which may move it out of the sweet spot for casual goofing around but is attractive for a standalone hardware gestural MPE sample player. Feature comparison here.

• Smart to do sample import- though I would have thought they could do this with a software update (maybe they can and want to sell new units).

I do question the longevity if the future is Orba…

• Orba 2 hardware and price hike may be justified by the extra memory needed to store the samples.