Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Beatly Pro, the pocket ghost producer

13468914

Comments

  • @Svetlovska said:
    @AntoninCharvat / anyone: got this, lovely app, building a track with it as we speak, BUT - mention has been made of swapping out the built in sounds for your own samples. Anyone worked out how to do that yet?

    Custom samples can be attached right here :)

  • edited September 2021

    @AntoninCharvat : Aha! Thank you :) I believe you said that they ought to be tuned to middle C - is there a maximum length? Or somewhere I ought to be looking this stuff up instead of bothering you with a string of ‘duh!’ Questions?

  • Well that's one of many things Beatly is still missing - structured documentation or some tutorial :smiley: I supposed everyone will figure their way out but it turned out many users don't know about some pretty basic features lol. Anyway, the length is not limited, however it will be cropped by the following note. Keep trying and experimenting! :)

  • Okay.

    This is also probably operator error but…

    I did just re-download Beatly Pro, opened in standalone, hit the ‘mixer’ button, and got the folders icons at the top of the channel faders, loaded in a couple of my own samples, and got going, lovely.

    Only now the folder icons have disappeared, and I can’t change any samples. It looks like this, no icons:

    Running 14.7.1 on a 2018 IPad Air. What am I doing wrong?

  • There is a hidden menu right above the mixer. You just swipe up or tap the arrow above it :smile:
    You're not a first person to miss this. I'm wondering if I should keep it displayed all the time...? I wanted to keep it hidden to avoid unintentional mis-tap on these destructive buttons (part regeneration and sample changes).

  • edited September 2021

    Again: aha!, thank you. :)

    I wonder if maybe you could just add it’s existence to the built in tutorial, and/or pick out important but semi hidden features such as this in a brighter shade of the blue, or maybe even white, so they call attention to themselves? (Took me a while to stumble on the page switching function top right to get back from the piano roll, for example.)

    Also, since I now seem to be in feature suggestion mode, might you consider dropping the minimum bpm to 20? (I rarely go above 20, and would go even slower if I could.)

    And finally - maybe adding a faster way of getting up or down to the tempo you want to play the loop at? Perhaps a long press has a ramping up automatic speed increase, as some other apps employ, so you can tap the tempo arrows for fine adjustments, or hold for a controllable, accelerating change? Or even just swipe left or right from the bpm display, the further you pull out from it the more extreme the bpm change? Or even popping up a type box to let users input the precise tempo numerically?

  • The midi imports pretty well in gadget. Just a few tweaks and it can be a great start.

  • @AntoninCharvat said:
    Well that's one of many things Beatly is still missing - structured documentation or some tutorial :smiley: I supposed everyone will figure their way out but it turned out many users don't know about some pretty basic features lol. Anyway, the length is not limited, however it will be cropped by the following note. Keep trying and experimenting! :)

    Just wanted to chime in and say this is the sort of app I don't usually gravitate to, but I really like this. Exported a loop to Egoist yesterday: instant weird. Good weird. Thank you. Piano roll is a great idea. Haven't tried midi export yet, but that's next. Gadget or NS2 being my preferred hosts.

  • @Svetlovska said:
    Again: aha!, thank you. :)

    I wonder if maybe you could just add it’s existence to the built in tutorial, and/or pick out important but semi hidden features such as this in a brighter shade of the blue, or maybe even white, so they call attention to themselves? (Took me a while to stumble on the page switching function top right to get back from the piano roll, for example.)

    I will definitely make the arrow more visible, thanks for suggestion!
    Btw you get back from the piano roll again by tapping the instrument icon :)

    Also, since I now seem to be in feature suggestion mode, might you consider dropping the minimum bpm to 20? (I rarely go above 20, and would go even slower if I could.)

    That might be possible, why not! :)

    And finally - maybe adding a faster way of getting up or down to the tempo you want to play the loop at? Perhaps a long press has a ramping up automatic speed increase, as some other apps employ, so you can tap the tempo arrows for fine adjustments, or hold for a controllable, accelerating change? Or even just swipe left or right from the bpm display, the further you pull out from it the more extreme the bpm change? Or even popping up a type box to let users input the precise tempo numerically?

    Currently the long press adds or subtracts 10 BPM steps. Give it a try!

    @iansainsbury said:
    instant weird. Good weird.

    Okay! As long as it's "good" weird, I'm really happy to hear that :) Thank you!

  • @AntoninCharvat Was nudged to this app by Mister Good Weird and I'm very pleased he did so. Interesting work and impressive development arc so far :) Congrats.

  • I love Beatly Pro. It's one of those apps that makes me smile within a couple of minutes of firing it up.

  • edited September 2021

    @yokotate said:

    @AntoninCharvat said:
    I'm sorry for removing the landscape in last version (1.2). The thing is I am working on some new UI elements which simply do not fit right on the screen in landscape mode.
    I will re-evaluate my options in this however. I actually did not expect someone might prefer landscape over portrait :)

    I really like this app but please, please keep landscape in mind. I can't be the only one who uses landscape almost exclusively on an iPad, especially when making music. I guess you are thinking about iPhones when you're considering UI changes. The way it is now is really inconvenient for iPad users imo.

    I don't use apps that are portrait only. I can't be arsed to hold my iPad Pro so that it's portrait. I have a thing that holds my iPad and it would hold it in portrait but I have it permanently plugged in and I don't want that weight (it's a big old extension cable) always pulling at the charging port. So, no, I don't use any portrait apps, even Triqtraq, which made me re-evaluate but it lost in the end. I haven't used Beatly since the last update. Didn't realise you'd ruined it lol.

  • edited September 2021

    @ashh said:
    I haven't used Beatly since the last update. Didn't realise you'd ruined it lol.

    Landscape mode has returned to Beatly a couple versions ago (for iPads only). It was really silly decision to remove it lol :)

  • @AntoninCharvat said:

    @ashh said:
    I haven't used Beatly since the last update. Didn't realise you'd ruined it lol.

    Landscape mode has returned to Beatly a couple versions ago (for iPads only). It was really silly decision to remove it lol :)

    Nice one! I was using it last night (honest!) so I thought it must not have updated.

  • @TheAudioDabbler said:
    The midi imports pretty well in gadget. Just a few tweaks and it can be a great start.

    What method do you use to import MIDI into Gadget?

    Can you only do it through Dropbox or is there a direct imoport method?

  • Guys… Guess what :)

  • @Simon I just did it with dropbox. Doesn't seem like you can open in direct to gadget.

  • @AntoninCharvat
    Sweet
    With audiobus and link would be great
    Will the app follow audiobus bpm ?
    Coming along nicely
    Then the holy grail…..
    Auv3 !!
    Good for you
    Beta testers are waiting to squash any bugs for ya

  • @AntoninCharvat
    Still would love to have the option of white for icons etc, my eye sight is not great, or an option to change colours
    Just saying

  • @TheAudioDabbler said:
    @Simon I just did it with dropbox. Doesn't seem like you can open in direct to gadget.

    OK, I thought that was the case and was hoping you had worked out a sneaky, dabbler way around that. Thanks for the reply.

  • @AntoninCharvat said:

    Guys… Guess what :)

    Woohooooooo…..

  • edited September 2021

    @AntoninCharvat said:

    Guys… Guess what :)

    Beatly's on da bus!

    Wow - a big step for the app. Well done!

  • @Gdub said:
    Will the app follow audiobus bpm ?

    I will see yet how the implementation needs to be done. As of now, all I have is full mix audio output from the app, which if rather useless for everyone, I guess :) Next step for me will be the MIDI output, hopefully I will figure it out.

    Beta testers are waiting to squash any bugs for ya

    Thanks! I appreciate your help!

    @Simon said:
    Wow - a big step for the app. Well done!

    Thank you! I believe it will be spectacular experience! :smiley:

  • @AntoninCharvat said:

    Guys… Guess what :)

    Oh oh.. 😍😌

  • Hey guys,

    can anybody here give me a hint for any iOS drum app (preferably a free one - if possible) I could test the MIDI sender port from Beatly? All I need is any MIDI receiver with standard drum mapping.

    I have successfully tested other instrument's sender ports with Synth One, but there are no presets for drum kits.

    Thanks!

  • @AntoninCharvat said:
    Hey guys,

    can anybody here give me a hint for any iOS drum app (preferably a free one - if possible) I could test the MIDI sender port from Beatly? All I need is any MIDI receiver with standard drum mapping.

    I have successfully tested other instrument's sender ports with Synth One, but there are no presets for drum kits.

    Thanks!

    What about Sequencism? https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/sequencism/id1240952241

  • Is there a way to copy a section to later in the sequence?

  • Awesome, Sequencism works pretty well... thanks for the hint!

    @KirbyMumbo said:
    Is there a way to copy a section to later in the sequence?

    Not yet, but I have parts copying in my TODO list.

  • Awesome! This is legit my favorite way to start a beat, currently. So many good random patterns and using my own samples to make random melodies is nuts. > @AntoninCharvat said:

    Awesome, Sequencism works pretty well... thanks for the hint!

    @KirbyMumbo said:
    Is there a way to copy a section to later in the sequence?

    Not yet, but I have parts copying in my TODO list.

  • @KirbyMumbo said:
    Awesome! This is legit my favorite way to start a beat, currently. So many good random patterns and using my own samples to make random melodies is nuts. > @AntoninCharvat said:

    That is so cool to hear, thanks! If you by any chance managed to record some of your beats, I would be thrilled to listen to them! You would actually be the first on the whole internet to publish any Beatly generated output lol :smiley:

Sign In or Register to comment.