Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Beatly Pro, the pocket ghost producer

Comments

• @AntoninCharvat said:

@ChancedMusic said:

Sorry, I meant swing as a function, not a style.

Oh yes.. so you mean like not to strictly obey the quantization, is that right? It's sort of irregularity in the tempo often used in lo-fi and rap beats. That's what you're talking about? I need to think about it first, how exactly such a feature could be implemented. Will add it to my TODO list, it would be nice to have. Thanks for the idea!

Yes exactly.

My thoughts would be to put it in the same menu where you select genre and key. It would behave the same way, where changing the swing value wouldn’t impact the existing beat. But the next generated beat would use the current swing value with random midi notes being offset from quantized. The higher the swing, the more notes are offset and the greater the distance they’re offset.

• Yes, I mean like how it could be implemented in the technical way in terms of programming the swing logic. That will be the main challenge for me. First, I guess, I will need to modify piano roll behavior, as right now it only can display 1/16 in the precisely quantized position. Will think about it :)

• Anyway, there is a new version out!

This version contains:

• long awaited color theme configurator - if you want Beatly to change colors, now it's almost as easy as generating a new track :)
    • drum presets - save your favorite drum layout and use it anytime again
    • chord progressions tweaks and generator algorithm improvements
    • various UI improvements
    • load of bugfix in all areas of the app

Download here:
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/beatly-pro/id1550189157

Enjoy.

• This must have the most advanced colour choices I’ve seen in a app full stop. super job @AntoninCharvat

• @Jumpercollins said:
    This must have the most advanced colour choices I’ve seen in a app full stop. super job @AntoninCharvat

Brilliant color setup! Thank you!

Another quick improvisation with Beatly's upcoming dance style:

• @AntoninCharvat said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    This must have the most advanced colour choices I’ve seen in a app full stop. super job @AntoninCharvat

Brilliant color setup! Thank you!

Another quick improvisation with Beatly's upcoming dance style:

Can’t wait! Any ETA?

• @HotStrange said:

Can’t wait! Any ETA?

The raw implementation of style logic and patterns is done. Now I just need more dance samples, such as synths and bass. If you have something useful in your arsenal, don't hesitate to share. You will be a legend :)

• @AntoninCharvat said:

@HotStrange said:

Can’t wait! Any ETA?

The raw implementation of style logic and patterns is done. Now I just need more dance samples, such as synths and bass. If you have something useful in your arsenal, don't hesitate to share. You will be a legend :)

Awesome to hear it! I don’t generally collect samples of my own outside of found sounds and weird stuff 😆 but I’ll see if I have any later on tonight and update back. Thanks! :)

• edited April 2022

@AntoninCharvat ya know what would be absolutely crazy cool? Being able to import zip files of our own samples into Beatly, assuming they are not too long. When importing/unzipping it could ask if it’s going in the drums folder or the everything else folder. Then these samples would be available for when you press the random instrument sound button for any genre mode (is it random or does it go in an order? Can’t tell somtimes, random is better though imo) .I’m imagining happy accidents galore, that’s what I’m thinking would happen. Few minutes of importing zip sample files and you have countless hours upon hours of exploring what Beatly makes of them

And if a sample is too long it just gets ignored/not added to the library of sounds. Something like that

• @db909 said:
    @AntoninCharvat ya know what would be absolutely crazy cool? Being able to import zip files of our own samples into Beatly, assuming they are not too long. When importing/unzipping it could ask if it’s going in the drums folder or the everything else folder. Then these samples would be available for when you press the random instrument sound button for any genre mode (is it random or does it go in an order? Can’t tell somtimes, random is better though imo) .I’m imagining happy accidents galore, that’s what I’m thinking would happen. Few minutes of importing zip sample files and you have countless hours upon hours of exploring what Beatly makes of them

And if a sample is too long it just gets ignored/not added to the library of sounds. Something like that

👍

Or if we could just point it to our sample folder 😮

• New version 1.22 is OUT!

• introducing brand new dance style
    • your custom bar templates can now be automatically used by the generator algorithm (enabled by default, turn off in the track settings menu)
    • custom bar templates panel is now accessible even during playback (the currently played bar will be looped)
    • long awaited piano roll selection tool is here - now you can move a group of notes around the active bar
    • piano roll UI was polished, UX was heavily improved and some fancy animations added

Download here and enjoy.

• @AntoninCharvat said:
    New version 1.22 is OUT!

• your custom bar templates can now be automatically used by the generator algorithm (enabled by default, turn off in the track settings menu)
    • custom bar templates panel is now accessible even during playback (the currently played bar will be looped)
    • long awaited piano roll selection tool is here - now you can move a group of notes around the active bar
    • piano roll UI was polished, UX was heavily improved and some fancy animations added

Download here and enjoy.

You just keep kicking ass don’t ya? Thanks can’t wait to check it out!

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Excellent! Thanks, @AntoninCharvat !

@db909 said:
    You just keep kicking ass don’t ya? Thanks can’t wait to check it out!

Thanks a lot!
    Trying my best!

• Awesome updates on the beta! Haven’t had a chance to do much today but I’ll definitely be messing around with it tonight when I’m through with some work

• @AntoninCharvat said:
    New version 1.22 is OUT!

Download here and enjoy.

Saw this a couple days ago and updated immediately. Really digging the new dance style! Haven’t dove into the rest but I’m loving it so far.

I’m curious, have you considered maybe the ability to mix styles? So maybe a cinematic dance track? 😂

• Bought today. Very nice work. :)

• so i’m new to Beatly Pro. I know you can set the key of the song, but is there somewhere i can change the key from Minor to Major ?

• @eross said:
    so i’m new to Beatly Pro. I know you can set the key of the song, but is there somewhere i can change the key from Minor to Major ?

I think that happens randomly whenever a pattern is generated.

• @jolico said:

@eross said:
    so i’m new to Beatly Pro. I know you can set the key of the song, but is there somewhere i can change the key from Minor to Major ?

I think that happens randomly whenever a pattern is generated.

yeah, i just checked again. that seems to be the case. thanks for checking

• edited May 2022

@eross Yes, no way that I've found to lock the key to major or minor but you can effectively achieve that by using the chord progression builder.

• @AntoninCharvat said:
    New version 1.22 is OUT!

Download here and enjoy.

Congratulations. Better every time.

• Is it just me or are the non-bass synths a bit disconnected from the bass and drums? If I just have the bass and drums playing, everything feels cohesive. But the other instruments, both their sounds and melodies, don’t seem to really fit the whole EDM vibe.

• edited May 2022

@ChancedMusic said:
    Is it just me or are the non-bass synths a bit disconnected from the bass and drums? If I just have the bass and drums playing, everything feels cohesive. But the other instruments, both their sounds and melodies, don’t seem to really fit the whole EDM vibe.

You’re not wrong. The built in sounds are fairly basic and not always suited to the genre. I think the idea is to send the midi out or to import your own samples. I do agree there could be more. I’d also like to be able to batch import a bunch of my own samples and have the generator pull from them as well. Hopefully improvements in this area will come. And don’t forget, you can also very easily audition different built in sounds, I think they are chosen randomly, by hitting that little next sound arrow on the mixer page. The sounds do seem to mix well together also if you actually tweak the faders

• @db909 said:

@ChancedMusic said:
    Is it just me or are the non-bass synths a bit disconnected from the bass and drums? If I just have the bass and drums playing, everything feels cohesive. But the other instruments, both their sounds and melodies, don’t seem to really fit the whole EDM vibe.

You’re not wrong. The built in sounds are fairly basic and not always suited to the genre. I think the idea is to send the midi out or to import your own samples. I do agree there could be more. I’d also like to be able to batch import a bunch of my own samples and have the generator pull from them as well. Hopefully improvements in this area will come. And don’t forget, you can also very easily audition different built in sounds, I think they are chosen randomly, by hitting that little next sound arrow on the mixer page. The sounds do seem to mix well together also if you actually tweak the faders

The sounds are probably less of an issue for me than the melodies. They seem a bit all over the place. It almost feels like a lot was borrowed from the chiptune algorithm which doesn’t quite fit the dance vibe. Not sure if I’m making sense or how to better explain it. It kind of reminds me of when Cinematic first launched and some tweaks were made to the algorithm to be a little less all-over-the-place.

• @ChancedMusic @db909
    Thanks for the feedback regarding the dance style!
    The sounds and also the generator patterns are specific and unique for each style in Beatly, however sometimes there are shared parts to extend the range of the algorithm possibilities or simply to enrich one style with another. I believe there might be some really weird outputs sometimes, but since I want to keep the diversity, it's the only solution for me right now. You need to consider the fact that every time you hit the "next" button, the output is (usually) completely different than the previous one. There are millions of combinations. I'm trying to achieve the state where it takes really really long time for the Beatly to start boring you :) Plus I don't think that the above said "don’t seem to really fit the whole EDM vibe" is valid statement, as the EDM is so extremely wide genre that I'm simply not able to contain all its properties and specifics in this small style :)

• @AntoninCharvat said:
    @ChancedMusic @db909
    Thanks for the feedback regarding the dance style!
    The sounds and also the generator patterns are specific and unique for each style in Beatly, however sometimes there are shared parts to extend the range of the algorithm possibilities or simply to enrich one style with another. I believe there might be some really weird outputs sometimes, but since I want to keep the diversity, it's the only solution for me right now. You need to consider the fact that every time you hit the "next" button, the output is (usually) completely different than the previous one. There are millions of combinations. I'm trying to achieve the state where it takes really really long time for the Beatly to start boring you :) Plus I don't think that the above said "don’t seem to really fit the whole EDM vibe" is valid statement, as the EDM is so extremely wide genre that I'm simply not able to contain all its properties and specifics in this small style :)

Dance Music: never has there been so many sub genres set to a four on the floor beat ;P

• Just a small sneak peek of the new feature I'm currently really excited about - the low pass filter for each instrument channel. Now it's gonna be really easy to tweak the color of any sample.

• @AntoninCharvat said:
    Just a small sneak peek of the new feature I'm currently really excited about - the low pass filter for each instrument channel. Now it's gonna be really easy to tweak the color of any sample.

😍