Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Beatly Pro, the pocket ghost producer

Comments

• Just realized that this saves the user-recorded instrument samples with the user presets.

Very cool 😎

• Doug just did a great video on Beatly Pro check it out.

• Thanks for sharing @Poppadocrock B)

Here's a small sneak peek of a new upcoming feature - templates. Basically pregenerated patterns ready to be used:

• edited February 2022

@jolico said:
    Just realized that this saves the user-recorded instrument samples with the user presets.

Very cool 😎

Do you know if the user samples are referenced when you hit the random instrument/next instrument button? @AntoninCharvat ?

I so want a thing where I can easily randomize instrument sounds on different tracks once I’ve got a thing going and unfortunately for all the other players in the game, Beatly Pro does this sort of thing the best, probably cause it’s not a daw, I mean god forbid daws include cool shit like this right?

• @AntoninCharvat said:
    Thanks for sharing @Poppadocrock B)

Here's a small sneak peek of a new upcoming feature - templates. Basically pregenerated patterns ready to be used:

Very cool! Been loving this app lately. Curious, are the patterns also randomly generated? Any editing functionality? Also is it per part?

• @db909 said:

Do you know if the user samples are referenced when you hit the random instrument/next instrument button? @AntoninCharvat ?

I so want a thing where I can easily randomize instrument sounds on different tracks once I’ve got a thing going and unfortunately for all the other players in the game, Beatly Pro does this sort of thing the best, probably cause it’s not a daw, I mean god forbid daws include cool shit like this right?

Nope, custom samples are not used when browsing the sounds with the next random instrument button. Only the built-in sounds are available in this set. Right now, the logic behind is that each custom sample is bound to the track and is not available from a different one. I'm considering revamping this all area to create some user friendly custom sample browser though.

@HotStrange said:

Very cool! Been loving this app lately. Curious, are the patterns also randomly generated? Any editing functionality? Also is it per part?

Thank you! These patterns are hardcoded right now. Just a few basic patterns such as arps and chords. However in the future I want to add a pattern editor. The pattern is inserted only into the active bar of the part. I'm hoping it will be out this week for you to try yourself :)

• @AntoninCharvat said:

@db909 said:

Nope, custom samples are not used when browsing the sounds with the next random instrument button. Only the built-in sounds are available in this set. Right now, the logic behind is that each custom sample is bound to the track and is not available from a different one. I'm considering revamping this all area to create some user friendly custom sample browser though.

@HotStrange said:

Thank you! These patterns are hardcoded right now. Just a few basic patterns such as arps and chords. However in the future I want to add a pattern editor. The pattern is inserted only into the active bar of the part. I'm hoping it will be out this week for you to try yourself :)

That’s really cool! It’ll definitely be great to add some variation. Excited to try it! Beatly is my favorite app I’ve bought lately.

• @AntoninCharvat said:

@db909 said:

@HotStrange said:

Won’t factory-preset patterns trigger copyright alarms on YouTube etc.?

• @jolico said:

I think that's impossible... There still should be a lot of original generated content in each track :) However you still can create a cover of any song on purpose using piano roll.

• @AntoninCharvat said:

@jolico said:

I think that's impossible... There still should be a lot of original generated content in each track :) However you still can create a cover of any song on purpose using piano roll.

👍

• @AntoninCharvat said:
    Thanks for sharing @Poppadocrock B)

I am not sure how you plan to implement this feature exactly but I’ll say this. The random fetching of patterns in Groovebox by Ampify has made me fantasize about an app that has that same functionality but with a library of user created phrases. If you implement that kind of functionality Beatly Pro would be a gamechanger for me. ESPECIALLY if patterns transpose dynamically to a set chord progression instead of just the mode and key like in Groovebox.

• @farfromsubtle Well in the beginning I didn't plan to let user create custom patterns. However during the implementation I changed my mind and even refactored the code several times to prepare for this option. It's not developed yet, but I can say with 100% certainty, that I will implement it soon :) And yes, patterns should be able to transpose themselves dynamically according to the respective chord.

• @AntoninCharvat said:
    @farfromsubtle Well in the beginning I didn't plan to let user create custom patterns. However during the implementation I changed my mind and even refactored the code several times to prepare for this option. It's not developed yet, but I can say with 100% certainty, that I will implement it soon :) And yes, patterns should be able to transpose themselves dynamically according to the respective chord.

That is super cool!

• @AntoninCharvat said:
    @farfromsubtle Well in the beginning I didn't plan to let user create custom patterns. However during the implementation I changed my mind and even refactored the code several times to prepare for this option. It's not developed yet, but I can say with 100% certainty, that I will implement it soon :) And yes, patterns should be able to transpose themselves dynamically according to the respective chord.

Wow.. now we are talking..

Thanks..

• Version 1.19 is out now, bringing brand new template patterns!

All new features:

New version of Beatly Pro brings you template patterns in the piano roll which you can use to spice up the generated beats.
    Now you can also create an empty project to start with. Template patterns are the perfect way how to initiate your creative process!
    Additionally, the pull to reload functionality of the piano roll is now applied only on the currently active sub-instrument (drums and orchestra).
    Last but not least, the generator algorithm has been improved as well as a few annoying bugs has been fixed and stability strengthened.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/beatly-pro/id1550189157

As always, have fun and thank you for your outstanding support!

• @AntoninCharvat said:
    Version 1.19 is out now, bringing brand new template patterns!

All new features:

New version of Beatly Pro brings you template patterns in the piano roll which you can use to spice up the generated beats.
    Now you can also create an empty project to start with. Template patterns are the perfect way how to initiate your creative process!
    Additionally, the pull to reload functionality of the piano roll is now applied only on the currently active sub-instrument (drums and orchestra).
    Last but not least, the generator algorithm has been improved as well as a few annoying bugs has been fixed and stability strengthened.

Thanks for the huge update! I have been all over this app lately and it’s quickly becoming a favorite.

Also super grateful for the work you’re putting in on this, however I’m curious if I could throw a feature at you? Something like an “experimental knob” that could go from 1-10, and the higher up you go, the weirder the generated best gets? 👀

• Would be cool if the default preset was separated into the different genres it generates (lofi, trap, boom bap, west coast, etc)

• @AntoninCharvat said:
    Version 1.19 is out now, bringing brand new template patterns!

All new features:

Played around with the empty templates and the chiptune drums are outstanding. I'm pretty blown away with how much I can actually use.

• @AntoninCharvat is there a way for you to implement the midi export to include:
    1. Sustains (or note durations that aren't just 1/16)
    2. Auto-naming for track parts bass guitar etc.

Thank you for what you already HAVE made.

• This is an excellent "auto-composer" tool. I just imported the MIDI into Staffpad and assigned the parts to instruments. The 2 bars is very interesting... lots of rhythmic complexity and interplay between the parts.

Let's see how many exports I can do before I loose interest... that's the true test is how many unique creations can be produced overtime.

I also want to see if I can glue random outputs into useful longer form loops.

If you have any suggestions for additional settings or interesting targets please speak up.

I'll probably import a lot of this MIDI into LK Matrix which will let be test rows of outputs and try different
    patterns of execution.

I would like to find a speed up in assigning instruments. I think pointing realtime MIDI at Cubasis 3 with pre-assigned instruments on 10 tracks and recording is the way to crack that nut. I used that approach with Suggester into Moziac loaded with @_Ki's bass splitter and Divisi channel splitter to get really fast scores into Staffpad.

So, far Beatly Pro has used the assignments (do this from memory):

1. Bass which was a 2 staff "piano" like assignment with the bass clef on top... go figure!?
    2. Bass drum
    3. Pad
    4. Synth
    5. Slow Orchestral part
    6. Fast Orchestral part

I had to cut and paste the parts to:
    1. Upright Bass (just wanted pizz and was being lazy about it)
    2. Gran Cassa (which is bass drum in italian?)
    3. French Horns
    4. Violas and Cellos (treble and bass part)
    5. Violins 1
    6. Violins 2
    Then I added some woodwinds: 3 flutes and bass clarinet for more colors.

It sounds like something I'd be very proud to have entered by hand and is editable and transposable to build larger structures without needing that pencil.

This is what I got.

• @McD said:
    This is an excellent "auto-composer" tool. I just imported the MIDI into Staffpad and assigned the parts to instruments. The 2 bars is very interesting... lots of rhythmic complexity and interplay between the parts.

Let's see how many exports I can do before I loose interest... that's the true test is how many unique creations can be produced overtime.

I also want to see if I can glue random outputs into useful longer form loops.

If you have any suggestions for additional settings or interesting targets please speak up.

I'll probably import a lot of this MIDI into LK Matrix which will let be test rows of outputs and try different
    patterns of execution.

I would like to find a speed up in assigning instruments. I think pointing realtime MIDI at Cubasis 3 with pre-assigned instruments on 10 tracks and recording is the way to crack that nut. I used that approach with Suggester into Moziac loaded with @_Ki's bass splitter and Divisi channel splitter to get really fast scores into Staffpad.

So, far Beatly Pro has used the assignments (do this from memory):

1. Bass which was a 2 staff "piano" like assignment with the bass clef on top... go figure!?
    2. Bass drum
    3. Pad
    4. Synth
    5. Slow Orchestral part
    6. Fast Orchestral part

I had to cut and paste the parts to:
    1. Upright Bass (just wanted pizz and was being lazy about it)
    2. Gran Cassa (which is bass drum in italian?)
    3. French Horns
    4. Violas and Cellos (treble and bass part)
    5. Violins 1
    6. Violins 2
    Then I added some woodwinds: 3 flutes and bass clarinet for more colors.

It sounds like something I'd be very proud to have entered by hand and is editable and transposable to build larger structures without needing that pencil.

This is what I got.

Great stuff! I’ve been absolutely in love with this app. Running it through some effects and into various samplers or loopers is a ton of fun. Didn’t think to launch them as clips, though! GarageBand is the only real clip launcher I have but I’m excited to try it.

• @HotStrange said:
    Also super grateful for the work you’re putting in on this, however I’m curious if I could throw a feature at you? Something like an “experimental knob” that could go from 1-10, and the higher up you go, the weirder the generated best gets? 👀

I have already tried to implement something like this but at that time it didn't work out well. Maybe I will return to that idea at some point as it would really bring much more diversity :)

@taeo said:
    Would be cool if the default preset was separated into the different genres it generates (lofi, trap, boom bap, west coast, etc)

I'm not sure I understand. You mean to divide built-in samples into genre sections? Can you elaborate a bit more?

@KirbyMumbo said:
    Played around with the empty templates and the chiptune drums are outstanding. I'm pretty blown away with how much I can actually use.

Thank you! These words are my fuel :blush:

@audiblevideo said:
    @AntoninCharvat is there a way for you to implement the midi export to include:

Well, regarding 1, the way I'm working with MIDI data right now does not allow me to do that. Every note is 1/16 in my current implementation. I need to refactor certain parts of the app. I definitely want to improve this area, including piano roll and MIDI OUT.

And 2 - you mean to add sort of label in the mixer to differentiate instruments easily? Now there is just an icon of the instrument, which is probably not enough, I agree.

• @McD said:

This is what I got.

This is really brilliant. Thank you!

• @AntoninCharvat said:

@HotStrange said:

I have already tried to implement something like this but at that time it didn't work out well. Maybe I will return to that idea at some point as it would really bring much more diversity :)

@taeo said:
    Would be cool if the default preset was separated into the different genres it generates (lofi, trap, boom bap, west coast, etc)

I'm not sure I understand. You mean to divide built-in samples into genre sections? Can you elaborate a bit more?

@KirbyMumbo said:

Thank you! These words are my fuel :blush:

@audiblevideo said:
    @AntoninCharvat is there a way for you to implement the midi export to include:

Well, regarding 1, the way I'm working with MIDI data right now does not allow me to do that. Every note is 1/16 in my current implementation. I need to refactor certain parts of the app. I definitely want to improve this area, including piano roll and MIDI OUT.

And 2 - you mean to add sort of label in the mixer to differentiate instruments easily? Now there is just an icon of the instrument, which is probably not enough, I agree.

Really glad to hear that feature is/has been on your mind already. Whether it’s able to happen or not, stellar work! I’m sure we all appreciate how responsive you’ve been.

• Almost forgot to announce that: another update is here!

Now you can create your custom template patterns which will adapt to any chord progression of your song!
    Simply tap the plus button in the template picker and draw your own pattern for each beat!

Download:

Have fun!

• @AntoninCharvat said:
    Almost forgot to announce that: another update is here!

Now you can create your custom template patterns which will adapt to any chord progression of your song!
    Simply tap the plus button in the template picker and draw your own pattern for each beat!

Download:

Have fun!

I noticed this a day or 2 ago and meant to comment about it here as well. Thanks for all the updates, I just can’t get enough of this app! Every time I open my iPad lately I reach for it.

• @AntoninCharvat As a point of clarification for my understanding when I look at the midi generated in the app and exported its is all just 1/16 th note triggers of samples correct?

Feature request: Auto labeling of exported track parts - please

• @audiblevideo Oh yes, sorry I left your question hanging here... yes, all the notes generated by the app (and also inserted by the user) are 1/16th only right now. I hope to improve this one day...

• Meanwhile, a short sneak peek of a new style... it's very, very pre-pre-pre-raw demo version. There is a lot of work ahead of me. Just wanted to let you know this is coming :)

• @AntoninCharvat said:
    Meanwhile, a short sneak peek of a new style... it's very, very pre-pre-pre-raw demo version. There is a lot of work ahead of me. Just wanted to let you know this is coming :)

Absolutely fantastic! You’re really putting in the work with this app. At this rate, it’s gonna become one of the iOS classics. 🙏