Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Beatly Pro, the pocket ghost producer

Comments

• @AntoninCharvat said:
    Live improvisation and fun with Beatly in my basement. All was fun and games until my beloved wife interrupted me calling me for dinner

What did you have...?

• @Simon said:

@AntoninCharvat said:
    Live improvisation and fun with Beatly in my basement. All was fun and games until my beloved wife interrupted me calling me for dinner

What did you have...?

Well it turned out it was not a dinner, just a small lunch. She baked "Vánočka", traditional czech christmas time sweet bread.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vánočka

• @AntoninCharvat said:
    Live improvisation and fun with Beatly in my basement. All was fun and games until my beloved wife interrupted me calling me for dinner lol :)

Pretty cool stuff. I like how that new sync functionality lets you get choppy with it.

• @AntoninCharvat said:
    Well it turned out it was not a dinner, just a small lunch. She baked "Vánočka", traditional czech christmas time sweet bread.

Nice! :smiley:

• @AntoninCharvat my fiancée just got back from New Orleans and it had me thinking. Jazz would probably be a great style for Beatly Pro. You already have some solid samples that could be used, and jazz can sound very randomized anyway.

• Jazzy stuff would be really awesome, that would help get some nice stuff for lofi and more chill type stuff. I have had a longing for some of those more jazzier chords when generating stuff

• @Fingolfinzz said:
    Jazzy stuff would be really awesome, that would help get some nice stuff for lofi and more chill type stuff. I have had a longing for some of those more jazzier chords when generating stuff

Right? Jazz plus the new bar sync functionality would make for some great lofi.

• Jazz needs very complicated chords, which I'm currently not using in the generator (actually the algorithm uses just a few basic chords such as major, minor, diminished, augmented...). It's impossible to build interesting jazz patterns just with these chords and honestly I'm no big jazz-chords theorist. That would be epic challenge for me lol :smiley:
    However, I will think about this idea. Part of me wants to do that and learn some jazz music theory at least :smiley:

• @AntoninCharvat said:
    Jazz needs very complicated chords, which I'm currently not using in the generator (actually the algorithm uses just a few basic chords such as major, minor, diminished, augmented...). It's impossible to build interesting jazz patterns just with these chords and honestly I'm no big jazz-chords theorist. That would be epic challenge for me lol :smiley:
    However, I will think about this idea. Part of me wants to do that and learn some jazz music theory at least :smiley:

I think you could do some simplistic jazz without going too crazy. Jazz can be very complicated, but it doesn’t need to be.

• @AntoninCharvat said:
    Jazz needs very complicated chords, which I'm currently not using in the generator (actually the algorithm uses just a few basic chords such as major, minor, diminished, augmented...). It's impossible to build interesting jazz patterns just with these chords and honestly I'm no big jazz-chords theorist. That would be epic challenge for me lol :smiley:

Soul, or R&B, I know they might be a little similar to the main type though.

Ohhhh… actually. Electronica but like Thom Yorke, Burial, Mount Kimbe, James Blake. Oh man that would be so dope. Like a minimal, indie, electronic type thing.

• edited December 2021

Now I want to do all of these.. :smiley:
    Simple jazz, minimal electro.. I was even thinking about dnb/dubstep and true lo-fi. Need to pick just one for now to start working on lol.

Anyway. Apple just approved 1.16, so here's some new features for you guys (let me just copy & paste the text from App Store):

This version brings huge improvements in bar controls.
    Now you can copy bars - with all instruments (in mixer) or single instrument (in piano roll).
    You can also control the playback position by tapping respective bar. The transition will be synced to the next beat creating attractive chopped-like effects.
    Some UI improvements and tweaks have been made.
    Hi-hat patterns have been extended.
    New version notification and app review request have been removed. It would still be appreciated if you find some time to leave a review on App Store.
    Finally a "tip jar" has been added to the menu. If you enjoy Beatly and you're having fun with all the recently added free features and updates, please, consider donating to the further development. Thank you!

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/beatly-pro/id1550189157

• Goa Trance

• Thanks for the update 👍

• Good stuff! Thank you. Left a review. Excited to try out the new features.

• @Poppadocrock said:

@AntoninCharvat said:

Soul, or R&B, I know they might be a little similar to the main type though.

Ohhhh… actually. Electronica but like Thom Yorke, Burial, Mount Kimbe, James Blake. Oh man that would be so dope. Like a minimal, indie, electronic type thing.

I could go for some Daft Punk and Technotronic inspired house for sure.

Honestly any of the ideas that have been mentioned would be super fun! I’ve appreciated the additions so far. Honestly I use chiptune and cinema more than the default.

@AntoninCharvat any plans to rename Default at some point once you’ve added more styles to make it more clear what that style is supposed to be?

• @jolico said:
    Goa Trance

Yes. Adding to my list immediately. I love goa and psy trance.

@DukeWonder said:
    Good stuff! Thank you. Left a review. Excited to try out the new features.

Awesome. Thank you!

By the way - would anyone use recording of custom samples to use within the app? I mean - right now you can choose any wav from your device, but I'm talking about recording straight from the mic. Sort of Loopy way. Except the cool looping. And sweet circular effect. And many other things :smiley: Does it sound attractive to anyone?

• @AntoninCharvat said:

@jolico said:
    Goa Trance

@DukeWonder said:

Awesome. Thank you!

By the way - would anyone use recording of custom samples to use within the app? I mean - right now you can choose any wav from your device, but I'm talking about recording straight from the mic. Sort of Loopy way. Except the cool looping. And sweet circular effect. And many other things :smiley: Does it sound attractive to anyone?

That would be awesome 🤩

How will we record other sources though?
    Beatly as an AuV3 effect or Beatly as AuV3 host?

• @AntoninCharvat said:

@jolico said:
    Goa Trance

@DukeWonder said:

Awesome. Thank you!

I think other people would like it. To me, it would possibly take away from some of the simplicity that I like about Beatly Pro. But as long as it didn’t feel like it added unnecessary bulk to the UI, I wouldn’t have an issue with it.

• edited December 2021

@jolico said:

How will we record other sources though?
    Beatly as an AuV3 effect or Beatly as AuV3 host?

Didn't think of it this far lol :) The only source I'm having in my mind right now is mic. AUv3 is not the priority currently.

@DukeWonder said:

I think other people would like it. To me, it would possibly take away from some of the simplicity that I like about Beatly Pro. But as long as it didn’t feel like it added unnecessary bulk to the UI, I wouldn’t have an issue with it.

I got it. I will always try to keep the simplicity I started with and will carefully place any new feature.

• I started creating some short tutorials, here are first one for those who are struggling to understand the concept of instruments or bars:

• @AntoninCharvat said:
    I started creating some short tutorials, here are first one for those who are struggling to understand the concept of instruments or bars:

Thanks…. must admit.. I got left behind… a little.. This should help…

• Thanks for the videos @AntoninCharvat i was reading the in app help page but these help even more.

• Hey @AntoninCharvat i have one quick suggestion. I think for arranging reasons and to avoid confusion it would be great if the bar you copy to changes it’s number to reflect what bar was copied from. For example, If you copy bar #1, onto bar #2, it would make more sense to me if bar #2 then changed to display #1. Since bar #1 was copied and pasted onto it. This way the bar number also represents the midi pattern behind it. you can also keep track of what patterns are on what bars, and arrange them accordingly. When bar #2 still shows #2 even though it’s playing a copy of bar #1 it can quickly get confusing.

• @Poppadocrock said:
    Hey @AntoninCharvat i have one quick suggestion. I think for arranging reasons and to avoid confusion it would be great if the bar you copy to changes it’s number to reflect what bar was copied from. For example, If you copy bar #1, onto bar #2, it would make more sense to me if bar #2 then changed to display #1. Since bar #1 was copied and pasted onto it. This way the bar number also represents the midi pattern behind it. you can also keep track of what patterns are on what bars, and arrange them accordingly. When bar #2 still shows #2 even though it’s playing a copy of bar #1 it can quickly get confusing.

I agree 100%.

I actually think it would be nice if you could just copy a bar and it immediately created a duplicate instead of overwriting an existing bar. But at the very least keeping the number the same would be great.

• Oh no, the goal of "copy bar" function is to duplicate the content of given bar into any other bar. Thanks to that you can edit both of these bars independently and e.g. make just a small changes in some parts and still keeping two versions. On the other hand If I changed the bar number as well, I would make it the exactly same bar and all changes made in one of these bars would be reflected in all instances of this bar number. Remember that each number represents the unique state and content of the bar. There can be currently just 8 of these numbers/bars. Sorry for my poor skills in explaining in english. I will be happy to discuss this concept further.

• Another development sneak peek - chord progression builder!
    This feature introduces a brand new way to adjust the generated output. And I believe this will be a game changer!

• edited December 2021

@AntoninCharvat said:
    Oh no, the goal of "copy bar" function is to duplicate the content of given bar into any other bar. Thanks to that you can edit both of these bars independently and e.g. make just a small changes in some parts and still keeping two versions. On the other hand If I changed the bar number as well, I would make it the exactly same bar and all changes made in one of these bars would be reflected in all instances of this bar number. Remember that each number represents the unique state and content of the bar. There can be currently just 8 of these numbers/bars. Sorry for my poor skills in explaining in english. I will be happy to discuss this concept further.

Totally makes sense. I think @Poppadocrock were thinking of using the copy button more to make a full arrangement rather than copying to make small tweaks. Similar to how the song arrangement setting works, but allowing us to customize how many instances of each bar are in the song. If that makes sense.

That being said, it is easy enough to export a loop, manually break it up, and use another app to arrange the pieces as we see fit.

• @AntoninCharvat said:
    Another development sneak peek - chord progression builder!
    This feature introduces a brand new way to adjust the generated output. And I believe this will be a game changer!

Very cool!

• @AntoninCharvat said:
    Another development sneak peek - chord progression builder!

Yes! This is awesome!

• Sick, that's awesome.