Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How can I prevent the microphone from activating during Audiobus sessions?

I rarely use the microphone for sound input. Almost all of my sounded generation is on board the iPad.

Often, I will create an Audiobus chain, and have a very clean signal.

However, then, at some point, the microphone activates, and I can hear the external room noise through my ear phones.

As I short-term fix, I've gone to my privacy settings and turned off microphone access for these apps. However, I can't figure out which app is actually activating the mic.

On the longshot that some of you have this issue, an example would be chaining nave, Vox, and Auria. But, don't blame any of these individual apps necessarily. For example, I have the experience if I swap out Bias for Vox.

Comments

• It seems like this happens for some effects apps. When you load them up as an effect, they immediately turn on mic access, then within a few seconds Audiobus will reroute things and turn back off the mic. Is that the issue you are referring to? It probably happens when loading AB2 presets also.

• My issue is the opposite... The microphone activating and routing sound into the Audiobus session.

• Yes this is surprising sometimes if you begin to patch a new session....and then the lovely feedback is coming ;-)

Is it possible to switch the input off if you have the mic @ input in the audiobus panel?
    In reactable you can "cut / uncut" the "cables" between the dif. Modules, something like this...
    Or better whats with a mixer in audiobus, dont search in the forum, maybe its a thread somewhere, just a thought.

• I don't see the microphone input in the bus route, so there is no way to kill it.

I'm guessing one of my apps that uses the microphone to sample is the cause. Just look in your privacy settings, and see how many of your Music Apps requests microphone access. Many of them are synthesizers, because they use the microphone for sampling.

For the life of me I can't figure this out without simply killing microphone access in privacy. Part of me wonders if it's Auria, part of me wonders if it's a certain effects app. Part of me wonders if it's at iOS 7, or Audiobus issue. The problem with this is there are a few apps that refused to run if you do not allow microphone access. I can't remember which ones right now.

• @obiwahnkentobi based on your cute picture, you're probably the youngest user I have seen in this forum. I have some toy piano samples I can send you.

• Auria certainly has this problem. Any Audiobus tracks from other instruments hang around with the Rec button flashing, and the instrument gets replaced with the mic input! It happens to me almost every time.

• edited May 2014

The only way around this are the privacy settings for now, if that doesnt work with everything you use you need to talk to who ever developed that app.

Take whatever app that may use the mic and drop it into the fx slot, now eject the fx app from audiobus, if u didnt change the privacy settings - feedback la ola.
    I learned it the hard way, I killed my monitors with it.

This will also happen with apps that have mic input and are used as in or the output slot.

I killed the mic now in all audio apps that I use, that kind of works for me, because i never use the mic.
    I already reported this as "bug" in audiobus. They are looking into it ...

• @lala Sorry to hear about your monitors :(

I guess this is kind of a bug. It would be great if Audiobus could tell an app "OK, I'm letting you go, now don't go running straight to the mic!"

and does this happen on every app when you eject it from the effects slot?

I've only noticed it a few times since I usually have headphones on. Fortunately, the only problem in that scenario is that I start to wonder where that finger-tap-on-glass sound is coming from ;-)

• edited May 2014

It happens with nearly all apps that have mic input. As I understand it ab uses a kind of switch between micinput and ab. So if you are in ab and u eject something like the dub fx space or ivcs3 from the fx slot and u havent disabled the mic input in the privacy settings, you get lost in feedback.

I was betatesting something at that time and I couldnt figure out who to blame. I thought well I have done everything to make it go crazy and I know what works and what doesnt - its save with the monitors, then I put it into audiobus ... It took me forever to figure out that the feedback was coming from an app with micinput that was kicked out of audiobus.
    Thats why I complained that the ab manual is so bad, not a word about this in it; and I thought god fuck, I cant be the 1st person where this happened, its not like I am to stupid to read the faq ...
    lol, i wonder if apple found it