Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Helium AUv3 MIDI Sequencer by 4Pockets - Released

Comments

• Does Helium record midi cc data? I can only see editing in the feature list. So can anyone confirm? Thanks!

I have become hesistant of buying these. Because i have purchased a lot of his apps and in the end they all have great features and he is a nice guy, but i have consistent issues with UI /workflow philosophy . The plugs are so slow and unintuitive. Impossble to get in any flow with them. So i end up never using them for that specific reason. But i am interested in this one, but it should record midi cc to consider it, Short story long. Thanks!

• _ki_ki
    edited May 2021

@tpj Helium records CCs, but be aware that it uses a fixed resolution of 1/16 for all expression regardless of the grid settings. 1/16 is a bit too coarse in my opinion, it should go down to 1/64 to have multiple values for short notes.

Recording of pitchbend seem to work with a finer resolution, but when editing it changes the overwritten values to 1/16th.

I did send a support email about two weeks ago, but didn‘t hear back from the dev. Also reported a pinch zoom offset bug which is still present after 3 updates since then. Helium is not zooming into the center between the two fingers, but to the right touch position. If one touches left and right of some notes and then pinch-zooms in, the notes are moved out to the left side

• @_ki said:
    @tpj Helium records CCs, but be aware that it uses a fixed resolution of 1/16 for all expression regardless of the grid settings. 1/16 is a bit too coarse in my opinion, it should go down to 1/64 to have multiple values for short notes.

Recording of pitchbend seem to work with a finer resolution, but when editing it changes the overwritten values to 1/16th.

I did send a support email about two weeks ago, but didn‘t hear back from the dev. Also reported a pinch zoom offset bug which is still present after 3 updates since then. Helium is not zooming into the center between the two fingers, but to the right touch position. If one touches left and right of some notes and then pinch-zooms in, the notes are moved out to the left side

I was hoping to use it to send PC messages but these appear to be being ignored on output.

• edited May 2021

@MisplacedDevelopment said:
    I have reported some bugs with the new song mode which will almost certainly catch you out once you start trying to use it:

1. If you delete a clip and undo then the clip will not play the next time through - workaround is to simply add something to the timeline or deselect/select the clip you just restored before restarting the AUM transport.
    2. Whenever you change the mute settings for a clip, deselect and then select the clip otherwise the settings will not apply correctly. This is the case whether you have added or removed mutes. The little graphic updates to suggest that the setting is active but it may not be.
    3. Mute settings are not being reset when you restart AUM. A tip here is to open the mixer window if things are not sounding right. You will probably see that the song has started with some of your tracks in the wrong mute state. This happens if you have set a mute on a clip and then end the song before a STOP clip. To work around the problem, either never manually end your song and make sure it ends with a STOP, or make sure that if you do manually stop the song then you unmute any tracks that are still muted. Note that the unmute property of a clip will not unmute an already muted track if the song was started with that track muted (if that makes sense!), i.e. if your track starts accidentally muted then a clip with that track unmuted will not flip its state to unmuted.

1 & 2 were fixed in the latest update (not 3 yet) and apparently the Program Change bug will be fixed in the next patch. You can now also extend the length of notes in edit or select mode without accidentally changing the velocity by setting velocity edit to off in the main menu.

• @_ki I've been trying to work out what is not quite right with the zoom but couldnt quite put my finger on it (no pun intended!!)

• edited May 2021

Updated... seems a 'probability' feature was added.... Will dig in later.

Thank you..

• Interesting to see where the new Song Out mode goes. Seems to be sending MIDI out in song mode to trigger MTR.

Something to be aware of that I have hit a couple of times is that the default track mix volume is 0.75 so you need to drag this to 1 if you are making use of velocity values (they are scaled by the mix volume) or are wondering why everything sounds quieter than expected.

• @SimonSomeone said:
    Can someone tell me if I have to preset a length before recording into Helium? I'd like to just hit record and play for as long as I feel like.... possible?

I believe unlike Atom you do not need to specify a length, just start recording

• @White said:

Genius… Thank You..

😎

• Would be nice to control probability in the controller section…me thinks..

• Multi-take recording included in the next release:

• @MisplacedDevelopment said:
    Multi-take recording included in the next release:

Nice... Thanks..

• @RajahP Agree. Probability seems more suited to being editable in the controller section like velocity

• @soundtemple said:
    @RajahP Agree. Probability seems more suited to being editable in the controller section like velocity

Would be nice… It’s coming along nicely…. 😷

• Now updated, multi-take recording is the big change this time around.

@SimonSomeone little quantization update for you in there :smile:

• There is no batch export for the multi-takes but you can use the export clip option in the media bay to save the currently selected take and this seems to work well.

• Being very productive with the new multi-take feature. One thing I found this evening is that as long as you keep your finger held down you can drag clips from the media bay to a different app in a completely different window. For example, I exported a take in Helium hosted in AUM, started dragging and then with my clip finger held down, used the other hand to switch to NS2 where I navigated to an Atom instance and dropped the dragged MIDI clip directly into a new Atom pattern. Nice drag/drop interplay between the two apps.

• @MisplacedDevelopment said:

@SimonSomeone little quantization update for you in there :smile:

YAY!

• edited May 2021

I've been trying to use Helium, but I the Piano Roll color scheme confuses me when laying down notes manually. I don't know why Paul elected to make the Black Notes Gray, and the White Notes Black in the Piano Roll. I'm always second guessing the notes I lay down...

So, as opposed to complaining, I put together a quick mock up as a suggestion. Anyone know how to reach out to Paul to send this suggestion to him?

Helium Today:

Helium UI Update Suggestion:

And yes, for keen eyes, the Piano Roll does have a slight reddish hue to it, so it stays on brand with the color of the Notes being placed down ;)

• Try youtube comment in his most recent vids

• @echoopera, have you tried long-pressing the Menu button, then enabling 'Invert Colors'?

• edited May 2021

@GRiker said:
    @echoopera, have you tried long-pressing the Menu button, then enabling 'Invert Colors'?

Oh. Let me try that and see. Thanks for suggestion.

That did the trick. HA! Brain is ok now :smile:

• edited May 2021

Can this control ‘snapshots’ of Helium?

AUM Midi Mixer…

Bought anyway..😎

• Now with iPhone support! 👍💗🚀

• @gdog said:
    Now with iPhone support! 👍💗🚀

Cool, downloading to my 8+ now

• wait for real? it’s universal?

@gdog said:
    Now with iPhone support! 👍💗🚀

• edited May 2021

Remote Loop window is great.. would be nice to have when the Helium’s GUI is closed… Thanks..

• Version 1.13 is out:

Added an experimental swing function (TAP and HOLD Tempo).
    In step recording mode you can now press PLAY to insert a rest.
    Added Complexity and Probability options to the randomize dialog.
    Generating new randomized sequences no longer causes stuck notes.
    The selection tool allows you to move a group of notes snapping the root note only to the grid.

• @White said:
    Version 1.13 is out:

Added an experimental swing function (TAP and HOLD Tempo).
    In step recording mode you can now press PLAY to insert a rest.
    Added Complexity and Probability options to the randomize dialog.
    Generating new randomized sequences no longer causes stuck notes.
    The selection tool allows you to move a group of notes snapping the root note only to the grid.

Thanks..