Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Helium AUv3 MIDI Sequencer by 4Pockets - Released

Comments

• I find difficult to edit note velocity on Atom 2😂😂😂 been so lazy recently

• edited April 2021

@gtrgeorge said:

@celtic_elk said:

@Strizbiz said:
    So can we play a midi controller and have it record what we play? I’ve seen midi clips being dropped in and loops being triggered from the keyboard, I just haven’t seen anything being recorded from the keyboard. Instabuy as long as it can record noted being played from a midi controller

Yes; this functionality is specifically demoed in the above video, starting at about 7:10.

I’m doing this right now, not with my Oxygen 49 yet, just the AUM keyboard. But I can only get it to work on Helium track 1. I have different synths on track 2 & 3, and if I switch to track 2 or 3 and tap notes on the AUM kybd, I still hear the synth on track 1. Any idea what I’m missing?

PS, this thing is just great... I’m really used to the Gadget sequencer, and I feel right at home on Helium...

I can help you! You have to change the MIDI channel in the AUM keyboard. Simply tap the wrench in the keyboard and switch the channel to the instrument channel you want to play. Remember to select the corresponding track in Helium to record to the correct channel.

• Only messed around with for about 20 mins but I like it. I definitely have to dig into the manual to see what features I’ve missed, mainly a way to copy and paste all 16 tracks and paste at once if I ever want to arrange a song. Copying track by track wouldn’t be great.

• @gusgranite said:

@Charlesalbert said:
    @Gavinski make some pressure on Paul for MPE recording 🙏🙏🙏😜

I know you’re joking @Charlesalbert but please don’t try to pressure any developer @Gavinski ! It would be an abuse of the promotional relationship you enter into with developers IMO.

May I suggest that there should be no promotional relationship at all between a developer and the person ostensibly reviewing the product? I'm pretty old-school on this point, and I know it doesn't always reflect our current reality. But I believe that any content creator's first loyalty is to the viewer; otherwise, he's making commercials.

• I don’t get all fuss. Who promoted who? Asking for a feature is a commercial promotion? I was only thinking that @Gavinski knows the dev better then me so if he will chat with him he could report the request.

I really don’t get all the point of discussion.

It doesn’t relate with the app but recently it became a pain reading some thing on the forum not related to music.

• I agree with this, and it is why I often make frank criticisms and suggestions for improvements in my videos. Trust me, it would take more than a few free giveaway codes to buy me, and as the channel grows that is more and more the case. I overlooked this in Gus’s earlier comment but I am glad you pointed it out

@ExAsperis99 said:

@gusgranite said:

@Charlesalbert said:
    @Gavinski make some pressure on Paul for MPE recording 🙏🙏🙏😜

I know you’re joking @Charlesalbert but please don’t try to pressure any developer @Gavinski ! It would be an abuse of the promotional relationship you enter into with developers IMO.

May I suggest that there should be no promotional relationship at all between a developer and the person ostensibly reviewing the product? I'm pretty old-school on this point, and I know it doesn't always reflect our current reality. But I believe that any content creator's first loyalty is to the viewer; otherwise, he's making commercials.

• @Charlesalbert said:
    I don’t get all fuss. Who promoted who? Asking for a feature is a commercial promotion? I was only thinking that @Gavinski knows the dev better then me so if he will chat with him he could report the request.

I really don’t get all the point of discussion.

It doesn’t relate with the app but recently it became a pain reading some thing on the forum not related to music.

Yes Charles, I understood you and you did nothing wrong

• edited April 2021

I think it's probably a semantic misunderstanding @Charlesalbert. When you suggested that a content creator has a "promotional relationship" with a developer, I took that to mean that a tutorialist (?) like @Gavinski would have a vested interest in pleasing the person supplying the app for testing. Sorry if I took that wrong.

And it is obvious that @Gavinski is quite frank in his assessment of apps, but it must be a constant struggle to walk that line! It probably helps that most of the developers are indie types who understand the ecosystem. Things get weird and nasty when publicists get involved.

• I think any dev should understand that in the long run it is in their own interests that youtubers are seen to be able to be frank and honest in their coverage. Even with large devs, I have never had any kind of problem so far. If an app is too flawed, I just prefer not to review it, which I have done many times in the past, including with 4Pockets. > @ExAsperis99 said:

I think it's probably a semantic misunderstanding @Charlesalbert. When you suggested that a content creator has a "promotional relationship" with a developer, I took that to mean that a tutorialist (?) like @Gavinski would have a vested interest in pleasing the person supplying the app for testing. Sorry if I took that wrong.

And it is obvious that @Gavinski is quite frank in his assessment of apps, but it must be a constant struggle to walk that line! It probably helps that most of the developers are indie types who understand the ecosystem. Things get weird and nasty when publicists get involved.

• the in-app help is great. Dev: can we get a pdf of the in-app help? Trying to use the app and having to swap back and forth to the help is cumbersome.

Thx.

• @ExAsperis99 Charles didn’t mention a promotional relationship btw, that was Gus

• But I understood where he was coming from with his comment. He was just saying that I could have a certain amount of influence on a dev and not to abuse that

• @MisplacedDevelopment said:

@Charlesalbert said:
    Worth if you already have the almighty atom2?

As a pure MIDI editor Atom 2 wins easily, based on my playing so far. The limited zoom and ability to manipulate the notes as well as the oddly limited undo history means I will not be using it to edit MIDI. I will however be using it to browse MIDI files as that works well.

Testing shows 5 levels of undo, that is going to be a problem for some people.

• @Gavinski said:
    @ExAsperis99 Charles didn’t mention a promotional relationship btw, that was Gus

Yes, things get messy quickly in nested quoting. Apologies to — well, to everyone. Let's get back to talking about this app!

• This is max zoom, unless I’m missing an option:

Those notes in the middle I can just about click with my apple pencil but there is no way I will be able to manipulate them with my fingers.

• edited April 2021

@syrupcore said:

@Gavinski said:

@zah said:
    In the video - 15m it says there is a manual...where could I find this manual?

His manuals are always in-app, so you can't find it yet as the app is not yet available, unfortunately

Bummer. Really wish folks could/would publish manuals to their websites or something. When you want to reference both the app and the manual at the same time, in-app manuals are a bummer.

yup. my wish exactly. By now it seems almost a standard for apps/programs to have manuals in pdf form on the support website. I even tried to create one by doing a select of the the in-app help, then copying and pasting it into a doc program, but the paste results in blank space.

Other devs have provided a link to the in-app help so it would open in Safari, from which you can create a pdf, but alas, no such capability here either.

Edit:
    ...and... in the in-app help is a link to some MIDI clips (recommended by the dev!). Apparently the dev is hosting a browser in the in-app help, because if you click on it, the web page opens inside the app. Unfortunately, since it's not really running in Safari, I can't figure out how to download from it.

Edit2:
    Here's the link:
    https://github.com/ldrolez/free-midi-chords/releases/download/v0.20210411/free-midi-chords-20210411.zip

• edited April 2021

Has anyone worked out how to get MIDI data out of the app yet? Tried the export option on clips and song but all that seems to do is create another internal copy. I expected to see something created in the app iCloud folder or a file picker to export the MIDI.

Edit: to answer my own question, you can drag the files from the media pane to the Files app, which is quite cool. Did not see that in the doc but maybe it was mentioned in the video.

• edited April 2021

awww i went to the store bought a card, clicked the link to find out, it’s not universal? what? all the other 4 pockets apps are.
    will it be universal eventually?

• edited April 2021

Still not found a way of changing note length without also affecting the velocity. If you open the velocity controller you will see the velocity change as you drag the length. Anyone found an alternative way?

• 😲. 7000!!!

• Testing time over for now. Here are the main issues I have found so far, which may be user error (2 & 3 are deal breakers for me to use this for editing MIDI):

• Zoom does not go in far enough to grab short notes
    • Undo limited to 5 steps
    • Cannot change the length of note without affecting velocity

Positives found so far:

• Useful for browsing MIDI clips as you can long press a clip to hear the MIDI without committing to loading it. May however only work for single channel clips.
    • Automation editor, not used it yet though
    • No crashes experienced

I have only been playing for a short amount of time so this is not definitive. Will be keen to hear what others make of it!

• @eross said:
    awww i went to the store bought a card, clicked the link to find out, it’s not universal? what? all the other 4 pockets apps are.

I know, I was expecting universal, 4 packets also seem to be the only apps I can get to run on M1 Mac.

• @GrimLucky said:

@eross said:

I know, I was expecting universal, 4 packets also seem to be the only apps I can get to run on M1 Mac.

yeah i really was looking forward to using it on my iphone

• @onerez said:

😲. 7000!!!

sold :)

• Multitrack and midi cc recording is instant win in this!

For multitrack, it seems to require taking takes of individual midi channels into each midi track, but it's not terrible. Pretty easy to do in one instance. Would be nice to record all midi tracks at once.

No patterns changes like in Atom or LK.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@Gavinski said:
    @ExAsperis99 Charles didn’t mention a promotional relationship btw, that was Gus

Yes, things get messy quickly in nested quoting. Apologies to — well, to everyone. Let's get back to talking about this app!

❤️❤️❤️

• Purchased and love already. I’m sure that any requests for different or left out functionality was or is pondered by this dev. I’m sure he’ll implement more stuff in future updates. He’s a smart developer.

• @auxmux said:
    Multitrack and midi cc recording is instant win in this!

For multitrack, it seems to require taking takes of individual midi channels into each midi track, but it's not terrible. Pretty easy to do in one instance. Would be nice to record all midi tracks at once.

No patterns changes like in Atom or LK.

There's a different take on patterns in this. Regions in the timeline can be triggered. If you think of regions as "patterns" then it's not completely missing, just different.

• So am I correct in assuming that this essentially adds a midi timeline to AUM? Would it be easy to play the midi from Atom2 clips into this? (Apologies if this has already been covered....) That seems like a very attractive workflow.

• Zoom and grid is unusable for me. Can’t see step separation between steps... and also edit note is barely impossible😂😂😂