Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Modstep Update in Store!!

Nothing major but it is an update 😜

Comments

• I'm just seeing the Apple certificate update. See this thread - https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/44737/updates-galore

• A couple other things as well

• Unfortunately, Apple just appends "The app has been updated by Apple to use the latest Apple signing certificate." to whatever the last update was. It is confusing. See uncledaves's post in the thread I linked.

• @echoopera said
    A couple other things as well

Sorry to disappoint, version 1.3.2 happened 3 years ago.

• @Tim6502 said:

@echoopera said
    A couple other things as well

Sorry to disappoint, version 1.3.2 happened 3 years ago.

From stroke-level excitement to suicidal in four seconds 😫

• Hahah. Ah darn it. It still works at least.

Love this app.

• edited April 2021

Crashes when AUv3 instrument added, current iOS, as of update

• wimwim
    edited April 2021

@Littlewoodg said:

Nothin' new there. It's always been prone to that. A reboot might help, but the best answer is to not do that. Modstep is best as a midi looper, leaving the app hosting to apps like Audiobus and AUM that do it well.

This update has no changes to the code, so it can't have been introduced just now.

• edited April 2021

@wim said:

@Littlewoodg said:

Nothin' new there. It's always been prone to that. A reboot might help, but the best answer is to not do that. Modstep is best as a midi looper, leaving the app hosting to apps like Audiobus and AUM that do it well.

This update has absolutely no changes to the code, so it can't have been introduced just now.

Yep, amend “as of update” to “since I last tried it, I don’t know how long ago that was...”
    I like Genome better for midi looping, (there’s that live glitch thing it does, and it’s stability which is nice to have sometimes). Modstep does have some potential as a barebones standalone composition setting. I dig that onboard additive synth.

• edited April 2021

I'm only here to throw in some Modstep love!

What an awesome sequencer -- very 'playable' and still does a lot that others don't. Love that you can MIDI map the 'slightly lower or raise tempo' buttons to push or pull on the beat in jams or gently nudge to keep things in time. I always have them on footpedals.

Love the time signature and tempo flexibility.

I'd never load an AU in it though -- all about the MIDI.

• @wim said:

@Littlewoodg said:

This update has no changes to the code, so it can't have been introduced just now.

So, per your (and @OscarSouth) reminders, I revisited Modstep as a midi looper/clip launcher/composition tool...
    hosting the AUv3s in AUM, (with an audio track for modstep in AUM for app switching, and a corresponding AUM track in modstep for same). What are you thoughts on this setup v. LK or Atom 2 as midi master control?

• wimwim
    edited April 2021

@Littlewoodg said:

@wim said:

@Littlewoodg said:

So, per your (and @OscarSouth) reminders, I revisited Modstep as a midi looper/clip launcher/composition tool...
    hosting the AUv3s in AUM, (with an audio track for modstep in AUM for app switching, and a corresponding AUM track in modstep for same). What are you thoughts on this setup v. LK or Atom 2 as midi master control?

I see no reason to bother with ModStep any more for my own purposes. However, while I have huge respect for the app, I never was hugely attracted to it.

• LK sits nicely in AUM and Drambo as an AUv3 and is actively being developed.

It’s the new Lexus LC versus the Lexus LFA to use an exotic car metaphor.

You will enjoy both for a drive...but you’ll be able to depend on one more than the other. 😉

• edited April 2021

@echoopera said:
    LK sits nicely in AUM and Drambo as an AUv3 and is actively being developed.

You will enjoy both for a drive...but you’ll be able to depend on one more than the other. 😉

I like the metaphor. To carry it one step further, here’s what I’m used to

• edited April 2021

@Littlewoodg said:

@echoopera said:

Love that car. Then you should use Genome Midi Sequencer 🤪

• @echoopera said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@echoopera said:

Love that car. Then you should use Genome Midi Sequencer 🤪

You get me, brother.

• edited April 2021

To share a different point of view and a bit of a philosophical ramble for those who enjoy that sort of thing:

Modstep is a very mature platform that performs its core functionality (ignore any audio processing) with pretty much 100% reliability. This is advantageous.

There are newer apps that offer AU and more highly developed workflow or convenience features, but Modstep was born in the ‘golden age’ of iOS innovation as a real time full screen performance interface. It sits beside Samplr.

When it comes down to the moment of performance, Modstep still offers features that allow you to take your live expression beyond anything else on the platform. If I was going to start a new iOS only MIDI project and needed a MIDI clip launcher for performances, I’d sketch in Atom and then transfer the patterns to Modstep for launching.

Disclaimer:
    I don’t actually do any live MIDI clip launching these days and the only sequencers I use live (obvs still not actually literally gigging live right now but rehearsals going ahead now) are the Mother-32 and DFAM ones. Anything composed by MIDI gets its output sampled into Koala, the MIDI generator ejected before performance, then triggered from a pad controller as audio. Mainly orchestral sounds from an Alesis NanoSynth sound module.

• @OscarSouth said:
    To share a different point of view and a bit of a philosophical ramble for those who enjoy that sort of thing:

Modstep is a very mature platform that performs its core functionality (ignore any audio processing) with pretty much 100% reliability. This is advantageous.

There are newer apps that offer AU and more highly developed workflow or convenience features, but Modstep was born in the ‘golden age’ of iOS innovation as a real time full screen performance interface. It sits beside Samplr.

When it comes down to the moment of performance, Modstep still offers features that allow you to take your live expression beyond anything else on the platform. If I was going to start a new iOS only MIDI project and needed a MIDI clip launcher for performances, I’d sketch in Atom and then transfer the patterns to Modstep for launching.

Disclaimer:
    I don’t actually do any live MIDI clip launching these days and the only sequencers I use live (obvs still not actually literally gigging live right now but rehearsals going ahead now) are the Mother-32 and DFAM ones. Anything composed by MIDI gets its output sampled into Koala, the MIDI generator ejected before performance, then triggered from a pad controller as audio. Mainly orchestral sounds from an Alesis NanoSynth sound module.

I like the ramble

• It is true that Modstep has its issues, but it definitely inspires creativity.

• @OscarSouth said:

+1000

Just a undo/redo, a more friendly midi editing, some minor midi tweaking live..And it would have been perfect to me...