Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Holon.ist and Holon - Anyone tried these interesting apps?

I love experimental music and ambient/generative (muck lol, a joke from a previous thread)
I have tried Holon and love it, it had this old cripple jumping around the house, after Scotch, well it is my birthday, and I am an ex performance artist, arthurist bites hard. Serriously Holon.ist looks interesting, though and Apple watch seems like it would really help. Though Holon.ist can be used with MiRack and based apon your geographical location, the music changes as you walk or move around, super cool.
Love to know if anyone has given this a shot and any feedback you may have. Cheers guys.

Comments

• edited April 2021

Yeah, I have played with miRack and Holonist. Below is a a video of this in action.

I'm using Holonist module in miRack as an AU with a cv to midi module. I'm converting movements from the iPhone, which is running the Holonist app, into midi CC, which are modulating AU parameters of Continua and Shaper.

• wimwim
    edited April 2021

I've not used the app, but here's a Mozaic script for I wrote for use with it on behalf of one of the developers, AB member @Conkers. Maybe it will be of use to someone here.

https://patchstorage.com/cc-trigger-to-notes/

• @auxmux said:
    Yeah, I have played with miRack and Holonist. Below is a a video of this in action.

I'm using Holonist module in miRack as an AU with a cv to midi module. I'm converting movements from the iPhone, which is running the Holonist app, into midi CC, which are modulating AU parameters of Continua and Shaper.

Thanks for this looks great

• edited April 2021

@wim said:
    I've not used the app, but here's a Mozaic script for I wrote for use with it on behalf of one of the developers, AB member @Conkers. Maybe it will be of use to someone here.

https://patchstorage.com/cc-trigger-to-notes/

So this will convert the CC messages from Holon.ist to midi, great! Thanks for the script?

• @Toastedghost said:

@auxmux said:

Thanks for this looks great

Well I took the plunge and bought holon.ist but now I am confussed, this often happens to me until I get my head around an app, beatcutter had me bambozzled at first.
    Holon.ist only works in stand alone?
    Do you have an IOS preset you could share please?
    Which midiport do I use?
    It looks like the holon.ist symbol must be activate cos now I see activity in the graphs.
    This must be the most incredible yet baffling midi driver I have ever encounter, defo, not for the faint hearted.
    Thanks in advance for any clues you can offer. Cheers

• I think @Toastedghost received answers already elsewhere but in case someone else was wondering:

Holon.ist only works in stand alone?

Holon.ist is not AUv3 but is designed to use OSC, which is easily converted to MIDI in miRack. MIDI CC is also available, however. We have several templates available at https://patchstorage.com/author/holmium

Do you have an IOS preset you could share please?

For presets, use the factory preset called Holonist_iOS, it works with all the patches on our Patchstorage.

Which midiport do I use?

If you decide to use MIDI CC, please open the receiving synth/app/plugin/DAW first and Holonist last. This is hopefully addressed at some point, sorry. If using in AUM, please use AUM Destination, NOT Holonist for Virtual MIDI. MIDI setup is not needed when using OSC with miRack/VCV/Reaktor/Ableton/etc as the connection is using autodiscovery.

It looks like the holon.ist symbol must be activate cos now I see activity in the graphs.

The Holon logo top left is the power button, mainly to save battery when not in use. The light part of the logo is always pointing towards the sun.

This must be the most incredible yet baffling midi driver I have ever encounter, defo, not for the faint hearted.

Who are we to deny that :)

cheers, Ove

• Hi,

I just bought Holon.ist yesterday and it seems great for what I intend to do right now : add channel pressure + modulation wheel on my wrist thanks to the Apple Watch.
    For now, it works very well but, under certain circumstances (not determined yet) and after a few minutes of playing, it appears a lag of 5-10 seconds between the gestures and the values read in Holon.ist. And the only solution to get rid off this issue is to restart the Watch.

@Conkers, do you know please if it is possible to create composite values assignable to midi cc ? For instance, can I define X = gyro_x + gyro_y and use this new value X in the Mappings ? Thanks a lot !

• edited May 2021

@Paulo164 said:
    Hi,

I just bought Holon.ist yesterday and it seems great for what I intend to do right now : add channel pressure + modulation wheel on my wrist thanks to the Apple Watch.
    For now, it works very well but, under certain circumstances (not determined yet) and after a few minutes of playing, it appears a lag of 5-10 seconds between the gestures and the values read in Holon.ist. And the only solution to get rid off this issue is to restart the Watch.

Hi Paulo, I’ve seen this before but not sure what to do about it. The problem seemed to go away after restart as you say. Unfortunately, Apple didn’t give developers access to a proper framework for the Watch, which means things like this may happen. For heart rate, the watch is fine but as a gestural controller we recommend the Movesense sensors instead (www.movesense.com/shop)

@Conkers, do you know please if it is possible to create composite values assignable to midi cc ? For instance, can I define X = gyro_x + gyro_y and use this new value X in the Mappings ? Thanks a lot !

Good question, this can be done but requires a JavaScript. There are some examples included, go to scripts and press the + button to see them. We’re probably reworking the Script editor a bit, there is a bug that requires you to save it rapidly after any change. Save the preset also to be sure. Sorry for not seeing this question earlier, please write to [email protected]

• Thank you very much @Conkers !
    I will give JavaScript a try, following your recommendations.
    So you consider that Movesense is more reliable or more sensitive as a gestural controller than is the Apple Watch ?

• @Paulo164 said:
    Thank you very much @Conkers !
    So you consider that Movesense is more reliable or more sensitive as a gestural controller than is the Apple Watch ?

Do you have the Apple watch? I have Movesense and it recognises as far as I know every sensor in holon.ist. It is super responsive, cost me about £50 which is alot cheaper than the watch. Movesense sensor is about the size of a child’s chocolate gold coin and weighs about the same. The only downside is it has no strap, but you can easliy make one. I use an old silicone strap that contained a duff watch, prise ot the watch and presto! Instant strap.
    Hope this helps. You need any more info on it I’ll be glad to help.

• @Toastedghost said:

@Paulo164 said:

Do you have the Apple watch? I have Movesense and it recognises as far as I know every sensor in holon.ist. It is super responsive, cost me about £50 which is alot cheaper than the watch. Movesense sensor is about the size of a child’s chocolate gold coin and weighs about the same. The only downside is it has no strap, but you can easliy make one. I use an old silicone strap that contained a duff watch, prise ot the watch and presto! Instant strap.

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I have an Apple Watch but I am thinking to invest in this little coin.

• @Paulo164 said:

@Toastedghost said:

@Paulo164 said:

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I have an Apple Watch but I am thinking to invest in this little coin.

Before you part with any coin check what sensors the Apple watch has, I know it has a gyro, heart monitor, gps but am unsure what other sensors it has. I do know that pretty much all the sensors fire on the holon.ist app. For best use of holon.ist connect to mirack. There many templates a ailable specifically for holon.ist. Inside mirack if constructing your own modular templates then use a Slew modular unit. These suppress the amount of data coming ing from watch, holon.ist and Movesense.
    If you do decide to buy a Movesense get the one with a hear rate monitor since there are 2 types and you pay pennies more for the heart rate monitor version.

• edited May 2021

@Paulo164 said:

Yes @Paulo164, it’s very responsive and useful for much more than gestures, as you can attach it to anything (shock&water proof) and it even includes a thermometer. As @Toastedghost said, there is a HR+ model that has improved ECG, however both versions can measure heart rate. That feature requires a compatible strap. We hope to sell branded straps and sensors soon, for now they need to be ordered from Movesense.com/shop

• @Conkers said:

@Paulo164 said:

Yes @Paulo164, it’s very responsive and useful for much more than gestures, as you can attach it to anything (shock&water proof) and it even includes a thermometer. As @Toastedghost said, there is a HR+ model that has improved ECG, however both versions can measure heart rate. That feature requires a compatible strap. We hope to sell branded straps and sensors soon, for now they need to be ordered from Movesense.com/shop

Thank you so much !

• @Paulo164 said:

@Conkers said:

@Paulo164 said:

Thank you so much !

Here is a shot of mine using an old plastic watchstrap I have mounted the Movesense inside, so I can wear it just like a watch.

• Anyone using it with Apple Watch?