Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Drone Lab

Noticed a new app called Drone Lab, it’s made for iPhone, and doesn’t list any connectivity but the sound from the App Store videos sounds really nice.

Drone Lab $2.99

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/dronelab/id1546174597

Comments

• Very interesting little app. Very usable as a background drone while playing/recording live instruments. I can use this with my Waldorf Iridium.

• Looks like a Droneo cloneo minus the connectivity options. Nonetheless good on the dev for releasing this, I loves a good drone!

• All your drone are belong to us. Bummer it’s not a Plugin tho

• I love it. Just wrote to the dev to please make it at least IAA. Really hope it will reply. I also read on his website that an IPad version is on his road map.

• Got it. It’s very versatile and sounds great.
    It needs connectivity, though.

• Good to know, that’s the impression I got... some added connectivity would probably tip the scales.

• Connectivity is by far the number one feature request. It seems that AUv3 is the way to go moving forward (as opposed to IAA). I'm actively exploring this, but I cannot make any promises at this point as to if or when it might be available. iPad compatibility is well under way, and once that is done I will be giving audio units my full attention.

• @DroneLab_app said:
    Connectivity is by far the number one feature request. It seems that AUv3 is the way to go moving forward (as opposed to IAA). I'm actively exploring this, but I cannot make any promises at this point as to if or when it might be available. iPad compatibility is well under way, and once that is done I will be giving audio units my full attention.

Welcome to the forum!

• @DroneLab_app said:
    Connectivity is by far the number one feature request. It seems that AUv3 is the way to go moving forward (as opposed to IAA). I'm actively exploring this, but I cannot make any promises at this point as to if or when it might be available. iPad compatibility is well under way, and once that is done I will be giving audio units my full attention.

Thanks for joining in! AU would be brilliant! We love to combine our favorite plugins with everything here ;-)
    You App is really cool! It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to get some drones going 👊🏼🙃

• edited April 2021

@DroneLab_app said:

Thanks for the update - just started exploring this and I'm really enjoying it. AUv3 would be the real icing on the cake and would earn the undying gratitude of a load of people in this forum...!

• @DroneLab_app said:

Hello, thanks for join the forum and thanks for the kind reply at my mail✌️ Keep it up since this app is real great.

• @DroneLab_app A iPad version and Auv3 support will be very much appreciated. This way 'Drone Lab' can be a important app for drone/ambient lovers. It deserves our support.

• if only an AU something would happen with DR-OM & Noisemusick, ‘sniff, sniff ‘

• Sweet. Any connectivity added? Midi in or out? AB3 sdk, IAA, or AU?

• I bought this earlier today. I knew it didn't have connectivity yet and that it might be coming... but, you can't even export out a recording? Nothing? I saw the export/share button in the app screenshots and assumed that was to export out audio recordings of drones... but that is ONLY to export out presets.

Am I correct about that? ie. there's not any connectivity OR any way to export out audio?

• @skiphunt said:
    I bought this earlier today. I knew it didn't have connectivity yet and that it might be coming... but, you can't even export out a recording? Nothing? I saw the export/share button in the app screenshots and assumed that was to export out audio recordings of drones... but that is ONLY to export out presets.

Am I correct about that? ie. there's not any connectivity OR any way to export out audio?

Not at the moment, but maybe in the future according to the developer. I wanted to record like a 1 minute drone thing and then play it on Aum while applying some effects on it but I couldn't. Maybe just record the screen and import it to Audioshare or just record to your computer. I know it's not convenient but maybe he'll make that change in an upcoming update.

• @Poppadocrock said:

Sweet. Any connectivity added? Midi in or out? AB3 sdk, IAA, or AU?

Unfortunately: No, not, nope and neit

• edited July 2021

Hey Everyone, after a great deal of consideration, I've decided that a plug-in version is NOT the best way to go here. Instead, I am adding a comprehensive AUDIO EXPORT feature. This will be a free update to existing users this summer.

I may go into more detail about this decision at some point. But briefly: because the controls of are so different from what you'd expect from a synth, DroneLab does not lend itself well to being a plugin. For instance, in DroneLab, you set a root note and then create a chord by setting intervals above that root note. For a plug-in, you'd expect to send MIDI notes, which would be a very big change to how DroneLab works. If I simply mapped existing controls, the plug-in might be confusing and counter-intuitive, and things such as chord changes would require more effort to get the same result as you'd get from a traditional synth interface.

My intent is to make the audio export feature as useful as possible, with faster-than-real-time exports on newer iPads, and files with selectable sample rates up to 96K.

• @DroneLab_app I can live with that, it sounds logical. A audio export will be appreciated.

• @DroneLab_app said:
    Hey Everyone, after a great deal of consideration, I've decided that a plug-in version is NOT the best way to go here. Instead, I am adding a comprehensive AUDIO EXPORT feature. This will be a free update to existing users this summer.

Summer where? Summer in the USA or Summer in Australia (December 2021)?

Looks like a great app but needs export or connectivity to be useful. Thanks :-)

• @DroneLab_app said:
    I may go into more detail about this decision at some point. But briefly: because the controls of are so different from what you'd expect from a synth, DroneLab does not lend itself well to being a plugin. For instance, in DroneLab, you set a root note and then create a chord by setting intervals above that root note. For a plug-in, you'd expect to send MIDI notes, which would be a very big change to how DroneLab works. If I simply mapped existing controls, the plug-in might be confusing and counter-intuitive, and things such as chord changes would require more effort to get the same result as you'd get from a traditional synth interface.

Understandable, but such considerations haven’t prevented some other apps from becoming plugins. Esoteric Synth and Fundamental immediately spring to mind. And Droneo has IAA, though I appreciate IAA being deprecated makes that a less useful option.

• I bought this app a few months ago with the hope it would at least gain audio export.

The update today now adds audio export and nicely implemented. Nice drones, easy interface to customize, etc.

Still only $2.99 in US

• @skiphunt said:
    I bought this app a few months ago with the hope it would at least gain audio export.

The update today now adds audio export and nicely implemented. Nice drones, easy interface to customize, etc.

Still only $2.99 in US

Ohhhhh sweet, it got the audio export. Time to reevaluate.

• @DroneLab_app

I recently bought this app and absolutely love it!

One question: when I export sounds is there a way to control output volume? So far I have been unable to play back my exported files without clipping.

Otherwise, I’m extremely happy with this app. Great work!

• edited February 2023

@blinkingnintendo said:
    @DroneLab_app

I recently bought this app and absolutely love it!

One question: when I export sounds is there a way to control output volume? So far I have been unable to play back my exported files without clipping.

Otherwise, I’m extremely happy with this app. Great work!

Hmmm I’ll try to remember to look in a few and report back. I love the app as well, and it’s great that it’s very much in active development. Obviously AUV3 would be great but I honestly think it’s fine as is. For drones and samples it’s great.

I recommend Drone FX, ephemeral, and Eternal flow drone is you want more like it.

Edit: after further looking I only see an option to change bit rate and file type. So might have to use an effect.

• Thanks. Drone FX and Ephemeral aren't showing up in an app store search for me. Any further info? App store has the worst search engine.

• @HotStrange said:

Hmmm I’ll try to remember to look in a few and report back. I love the app as well, and it’s great that it’s very much in active development. Obviously AUV3 would be great but I honestly think it’s fine as is. For drones and samples it’s great.

I recommend Drone FX, ephemeral, and Eternal flow drone is you want more like it.

Edit: after further looking I only see an option to change bit rate and file type. So might have to use an effect.

@HotStrange I can’t thank you enough! I am very new to all of this. I have a limiter in my effects apps, and that solved the problem of playback in AUM instantly.

And I agree, I’m thrilled that it’s in active development, and as great as AUv3 would be, I’m already very happy with the app as is.

And thanks for the recommends on the other apps, I’ll be getting all of them! @andowrites I found both Drone FX and Ephemeral City by filtering my search by “Category>Music”. The tab for the filter is to the left of the search bar. Hope that helps!

• edited February 2023

@andowrites said:
    Thanks. Drone FX and Ephemeral aren't showing up in an app store search for me. Any further info? App store has the worst search engine.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/eternal-flow-drone/id1517760024

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/dreamstate-ephemeral-city/id940219509

Drone FX is ipad only but I can get the link in a bit

Here ya go my friend!

• @HotStrange said:

@andowrites said:
    Thanks. Drone FX and Ephemeral aren't showing up in an app store search for me. Any further info? App store has the worst search engine.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/eternal-flow-drone/id1517760024

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/dreamstate-ephemeral-city/id940219509

Drone FX is ipad only but I can get the link in a bit

Here ya go my friend!

That Ephemeral City looks pretty cool! Would there be any point getting one of these if you already have Wotja?