Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiobus 3 Ableton Link issue, please help

Using Korg Gadget or other Link-enabled apps I find Ableton Link works instantly (in my case, syncing with Reason on PC). Sadly I cannot sync with Link using Audiobus! I have a recent iPad, latest OS and app version. Doesn't seem to work at all. I've enabled Link of course, played with Sync settings, etc, etc, for quite a while and now I reach out for help. Shouldn't the connection be made as it does with other apps?? What am I missing?

Comments

• I almost figured this out. First, you seem to need an instrument loaded in AB to see Link working. Also, I guess AB3 isn't a clock source, whereas the other apps are? (I can see a tempo change from Reason to AB3 but not vice versa.) Perhaps this is the expected behavior?

• edited April 2021

Sorry about leaving this unanswered for so long, @matsuo. This is pretty weird to me, as what you describe should work just fine. AB can work as a clock source, and it should work just fine with Link. It's true that if you leave all the connection slots empty then AB will go to sleep in the background, believing that it's idle, but given that, it should work just fine as a clock source.

Is it just Reason which doesn't see the tempo changes, or are other Link apps not seeing Audiobus' clock?

• My apologies if this is off topic...

This is also happening w/ RemixLive. Link doesn't work in Audiobus (or AUM, also).

I've written back and forth w/ RemixLive developers: They've said they are working on a patch for it.

I use a very large # of Link apps: All my other Link apps that I've been using have been working alright w/ Link and Audiobus/AUM.

Guessing I use different apps for this than @matsou.

• Seems Ableton Link has issues since recent iOS update... No WiFi connection for me...

• Ah of course – that’s it. I don’t think Reason has been updated to iOS 14 yet, which adds new permissions for “local networking“ which is what Link uses. Audiobus too.

• @Michael said:
    Ah of course – that’s it. I don’t think Reason has been updated to iOS 14 yet, which adds new permissions for “local networking“ which is what Link uses. Audiobus too.

I think the OP is using reason on PC, not iOS. Good point in general tho.