Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Genome midi sequencer is it good? Sale

I saw that genome is on sale, but no updates, no AB, is it good, is iit a way to record all the sequences, or an export tool?, i see something like a piano roll, is it good? With all the new synths like Thor, Nave, etc are supported.?
I have a Roland sh 201 a microkorg and 2 electribes are good for that? Any user of Genome

Thanx in advanced

Comments

• It's a good app, and a update is coming. This from Dev.

Genome Status Hey all, I know a few people have asked when the next version of Genome is coming and what will be in the next version (which will be 2.0.0). Here’s the low-down:

Yes, there is an update to Genome coming and yes it is still being worked on. Full disclosure: I work a full time day job and I have a 21 month old son who requires a lot of attention so my time to work on updates is less than what it was a couple years ago. However, I do devote as much time as I physically can to working on Genome (and bleep!BOX) and will continue to plug away at it until it’s ready. Here’s what is coming in the next version.

What is done or mostly done:

A new ‘Song Mode’. Many people find it confusing that each song cube represents 1 bar, instead of representing the full length of the patterns in that song cube. So I added a new mode (which will be the default mode) so that you only will need 1 song cube no matter how long the patterns are; the cube will play until all patterns in the cube reach the end.

Bugfixes for sysex messages in MIDI input. Currently if any sysex messages are present, midi input will cease functioning. It’s possible I could release this fix earlier.

Built in Audio Modules – These are instruments and effects built into Genome that you can use to make full songs within Genome. This requires a little more detail:

New track-based audio ‘Racks’ where you can add synthesizers, samplers and effects and hook them up however you like. Instrument modules include analog synths, drum machines and samplers. The drum machine includes some of the core parts of bleep!BOX. Effects include distortion, chorus, phaser etc. The sampler module uses the open SFZ sample format. It does not support 100% of the opcodes that SFZ includes, but the hope is that it can be expanded over time. I am also open sourcing the SFZ player module in the hopes that other developers can contribute code and to help promote the SFZ format. The code for this is located on Github. You can save presets for each instrument and effect Knob motions can be automated and recorded into your patterns using CC messages. Genome’s internal instruments can be played using external MIDI input (ex. a keyboard or other apps) Audio output can be recorded to .WAV

I know some people will be unhappy about Genome’s expansion from being purely a MIDI sequencer to becoming a DAW. Rest assured that nothing is changing with the existing MIDI workflow and I will continue to add new features to the MIDI editor over time.

Usability improvements to the interface. Some people find the fonts hard to read and icons not bright enough. I’m working on brightening the icons and text and possibly making the brightness user controllable (for those that like the current design).

New document folder structure, better file management

Still planned for 2.0:

Metronome. This is probably the most requested feature I get. Though in 2.0 you can create a basic drum track using the included drum machine module and record over that, I will add dedicated metronome buttons to the interface.

User feedback. I have a long list of suggestions from users – some easy and some require a bit more work. I’m gonna make a sweep through these and do as many of the small to medium suggestions as I can.

So, when will it be ready? I still have a decent amount of work left to do to wrap up the existing features and test everything; I can’t give a timeline right now, but I am currently looking for a new batch of beta testers. If you are interested in trying out the new features, and providing constructive feedback drop me a line.

As much as I hate posting unfinished work, here’s a couple screenshots of the new audio modules:

• Thanx @mgmg4871 saw that update in their website but it is an old post? Isnt? I mean the developer doesnt seem to update frequently.
    Btw you are an important person in the ios music scene right? I saw your nick everywhere, blog reviews ,appstore, beta tester etc. :) you know a lot of ios music.

• Lol. No not important, just know where to find info from the important people

• edited May 2014

I used to use it before I switched to Cubasis for MIDI - to be honest I found it to be a bit of a pain. Cubasis is much easier: for example the routing in Cubasis is much easier to figure out, and so is the editing of the piano roll. Obviously Cubasis costs quite a bit more though.

• Here's Tim Webb giving it a workout back in 2011

• edited May 2014

I think it's a really good tool for songwriting. Like if you have a bunch of different melody lines and you want to experiment with playing them together in different ways to see what you like best. I took some melodies and made several versions of each transposed to different chords in the key, putting one in each cube. After that I could quickly audition different combos to see what I liked best, and in what order. The interface is a bit confusing at first, but you can work quickly once you figure it all out and it does makes a lot of sense. What I don't like about it was mentioned above... That the app cubes are focused on shorter (1 bar default) song ideas. You can easily change this to however many bars you want. But if you say imported a big midi file into it, it would be pretty difficult to manipulate unless you took time breaking it up into small pieces first. That's a difficult proposition considering the editing interface. The only way to scroll around on the piano roll is using a 2-finger drag, and it is a drag with big midi files. It's doable but there are probably better sequencers for handling big midi files.

Check out this video (not mine) to see what I'm talking about:

• edited May 2014

I have Cubasis and Genome. The big advantage genome has is different length loops playing simultaneously. Not as easy in Cubasis, you have to copy and paste regions and know in advance how many you want.
    Genome does not have IAA or AudioBus so switching between it and the synths is tapping the home key time. It does support OMAC switching but almost no one else does

• Genome is the one app I've purchased that I've been the most disappointed in. Not only was it fairly expensive but it turns out that it isn't all that useful for me, as it is easier to record something in Loopy or a DAW first, and then play over the top of it. It really isn't necessary for me to be running multiple apps at the same time and switching parts of the song on and off live. I guess I should have thought about that before buying it - I'd really hoped it would make playing the instruments I'm not good add, like keyboards, much easier, but it isn't that easy to program and it turned out to be a whole lot easier to just do MIDI through SoundPrism Pro or Chordion.

• Ok thanx to all. :) i think i'll pass this

• I don't own the app, so I'm not qualified to say whether it's good or not, but I heard enough lukewarm reviews to scare me off. It certainly looks like it has the potential to work, but you have to have connections to all those different apps, so you're at the mercy of settings within the target app as well.

I found that Caustic (or it's expensive brother, Korg Gadget) serves that same function I was looking for, which is a universal piano roll to work with different instruments. Caustic (which should have a 3.1 update with AudioBus and other new features in the next few weeks) also has a soundfont player, so in addition to synths and drums, you can piano roll sequence just about any instrument you could imagine.

• I've had problems with the current version as I have had indicated to me others also have, where the sequence recorded will trigger a MIDI note on a synth between 1-3 octaves lower than what was set in the sequence. This has been reported to the developer by I believe more than one person. It's a great app otherwise but this is something that needs fixing in the upcoming revision.

• It's an update. Morris has posted the details, taken from the dev's website, at top of this thread. Looks impressive.

• Ok, thanks.

• I hope they come up with sexy new interface. I find it rather strange that despite the fact developers have a beautiful new touch screen medium to go crazy with, they end up with graphics that look like the old analogue machines. Of course there's nothing majorly wrong with it, not even minorly. It's just I love when apps like Xynthesizr, seekbeats, tc-11 are just unique. While saying 'hey I have an emulation on my screen of say, imini' sounds cool, it will always look pale in comparison with 'I actually own minimoog my son'. I know this are all petty pseudo-psychological theories but I wish developers were more confident in this platform as a proper instrument rather than an emulation of something else. Saying that at times is nice to open isem or ivcs3 and have a little retro virtual reality without spending a penny.