Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

When Did ABF Begin? How Did you Find It?

edited April 2021 in Other

What date... is anyone still here from that time? Interested in a little AudioBus history. Maybe @Michael will chime in.

Comments

• wimwim
    edited April 2021

Michael
    About

Username
    Michael
    Visits
    Last Active
    April 2021
    Roles
    Administrator

Just a guess. That could be off if there was an earlier iteration and the account histories didn't carry over.

• @wim, I can’t believe I’ve visited the forum close to 3x @Michael. WTF!

• edited April 2021

Yeah, that'd be about right. On both counts, actually - I don't really have the time to spend much time here, as I'm pretty much always working...

• @LinearLineman said:
    @wim, I can’t believe I’ve visited the forum close to 3x @Michael. WTF!

😂

We rarely talk about Audiobus.
    Sometimes I feel like we’re squatters here.
    Thank you @Michael for allowing this place to exist.

• Pleasure!

• edited April 2021

@LinearLineman !

Wow! Almost ten years. Time flies!

You brought so many memories with this thread !
    I only registered in 2018 but was a passive reader of the forum since mid 2013. The very first app I bought was rebirth and after that, hmm, so many I cannot even recall... I remember my level of excitement the day I saw this video from @thesoundtestroom

I bought audiobus right after and I am sure many others here did too !

@Michael is the one who started it all on iOS ! We should have an audiobus day to celebrate !

PS : missing John Walden's reviews so much !

• @Michael Agree with above. I feel like I owe you a coffee for all your hard work. I might stretch to a beer haha. How do we repay you?

• It was a digital wasteland back then. Gangs dominated everywhere, scrapping for bits and bytes here and there.
    I recall buying AB on release, but only joined the forum a year later (got distracted by the facebook ios groups :lol:).

• Thanks @Lady_App_titude, I changed the header... inspired by your comment.

• I wanted to start getting back into music more seriously and was looking for a way to plug a guitar into a phone. I had loosely heard of the irig but didn’t know how far they had come by mid 2017. Then I happened to download GarageBand on my iPhone (also never took it seriously) and saw the “more audio units” which brought me to the App Store page of the “best audio units.” Did some research and found out about Audiobus, then I found out it had a forum. Bought a bunch of IAA apps before realizing what the difference was between IAA and AUv3 (many I do not regret). Been killing time and money since.

• Trolling this forum for close to a decade.

Username audiblevideo
    Joined December 2013
    Visits 9,824

This was my first synth. I think my first app was Figure
    I ended up here because Mimixer (still available) wasn’t working the way I wanted it to.
    I’ve been trapped here since ;)

Thank you @Michael <3

• edited April 2021

@audiblevideo said:
    Trolling this forum for close to a decade.

Username audiblevideo
    Joined December 2013
    Visits 9,824

I ended up here because Mimixer (still available) wasn’t working the way I wanted it to.

Thank you @Michael <3

NLog a piece of iOS history. I was trying to remember what were the limitations of AB1 recently, what were they? No effect slot? Up to one lane? It seemed ground breaking at the time.

Ah, looking at the pic there was an effect slot!

• @supadom all the apps were in the one lane with one FX slot ;)

• I found it when I was thinking there must be some way to pipe audio between apps on iOS. I started digging and found that something (AB) was in the works.

Joined - December 2012
    Visits - 22,233

• @funjunkie27 said:
    I found it when I was thinking there must be some way to pipe audio between apps on iOS. I started digging and found that something (AB) was in the works.

Joined - December 2012
    Visits - 22,233

All hail one of the founding fathers @funjunkie27

• @audiblevideo Ha! Not so active in iOS music these days. I've been trying to get better on the guitar, but I can't stay away for long. I still use a few apps on a regular basis and plan to dive in deeper down the road.

• Back in 2013 I was working away from home at an animation studio, and I had an iPad 2 for company. After a misspent youth kicking around in a couple of bands I had given up doing music and was working as a visual artist.

I remember looking at a synth in the App Store and hesitating about buying it, because I was worried this could open up a gigantic rabbit hole. Eight years later I'm still tumbling down that rabbit hole.

I joined the AB forum in October 2013 and the place was already thriving, buzzing in fact.

Despite my initial reservations the rabbit hole has been terrific fun, at the start of 2015 I started the Song Of The Month Club and it's helped me to produce at least one song every month ever since (76 months and counting, over 100 completed songs and instrumental tracks).

• I probably came here in 2014, after clicking on the Forum link in the nav by chance. I was looking at which apps were compatible with Audiobus. Thanks for having us here @Michael.

Lurked for a while, didn't create an account til 2015. Didn't start posting until 2017 I think or so, hehe.

• @jolico said:

@LinearLineman said:
    @wim, I can’t believe I’ve visited the forum close to 3x @Michael. WTF!

😂

We rarely talk about Audiobus.
    Sometimes I feel like we’re squatters here.
    Thank you @Michael for allowing this place to exist.

Thank you @Michael

• After being a lurker for almost 4 years I joined in 2016. I was there in the beginning. How time flies, I’ve seen iOS growth since my first iPad in 2011.

• I think the forum started about a week before the original Audiobus app was released on December 10th of 2012. ? I remember a thread where Michael and Sebastian were discussing coming up with possible names for Audiobus, and Noisehorse was one of their possibles. So when they picked something else, I borrowed it for myself. I’ve been ashamed ever since.

• @NoiseHorse said:
    I think the forum started about a week before the original Audiobus app was released on December 10th of 2012. ? I remember a thread where Michael and Sebastian were discussing coming up with possible names for Audiobus, and Noisehorse was one of their possibles. So when they picked something else, I borrowed it for myself. I’ve been ashamed ever since.

🤣

• @supadom said:

@audiblevideo said:
    Trolling this forum for close to a decade.

Username audiblevideo
    Joined December 2013
    Visits 9,824

Thank you @Michael <3

NLog a piece of iOS history. I was trying to remember what were the limitations of AB1 recently, what were they? No effect slot? Up to one lane? It seemed ground breaking at the time.

Ah, looking at the pic there was an effect slot!

And just updated today!

• wimwim
    edited April 2021

Just saw the "how did you find it" addition to the title.

I stumbled across a mention of the Audiobus forum in some offbeat place like PC Magazine in October 2013. I had bought an iPad 2 as an experiment to improve mobile IT support at my work. I had no audio apps, had never heard of Audiobus, and had never even thought about using it for music making. In fact, I had given up making music on computers probably two years before, after reaching complete creative paralysis the moment I would sit down at a PC (probably due to staring at them 8-12 hours a day for work).

My first visit to the AB forum was the turning point of music making for me. I bought Audiobus and a few apps and suddenly found I could create again. It was wonderful and still is. I still can't create at the PC but never, ever feel the need to.

• I was reading this forum almost 3 years before i actually made an account here. So was around 2013 when i found the forum i think. I cant actually remember how i found it but it might have been via a google search for "ios music forum".

• edited April 2021

can't remember how I came here, must have been a google search I suppose, July 2015, that's almost 6 years now (wow)

still take a quick look around here daily though I don't make much music on the iPads (apart from recording with the iZotope Spire recorder sometimes which needs the app for best results), but the iPads are great for vacations abroad, not possible atm sadly .. but soon again hopefully (dreaming of Andalucia)

• I thought Audiobus was an app and that was it from day one. Only in the last year when I had an issue with AB did I find this forum.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Thanks @Lady_App_titude, I changed the header... inspired by your comment.

I'm guessing @Lady_App_titude suggested the "How did you find it?" addition.

Google produces "AudioBus Forum" references for almost any IOS music query.
    So, if you're looking for an app review, hardware recommendation, IPAD/iPhone recommendation, troubleshooting the hardware interface options... you'll end up here
    quickly, You'll stay if you keep investing in more apps for the support and reviews.

But eventually you come back for the diversion and connection to like minded members.

• @McD said:

@LinearLineman said:
    Thanks @Lady_App_titude, I changed the header... inspired by your comment.

I'm guessing @Lady_App_titude suggested the "How did you find it?" addition.

I actually have no idea what these comments are about. I don't know what the original title was or what I may have said that would have inspired a change.

As I recall it was either Jakob Haq or Doug Woods who I first heard mention this forum.

• @Lady_App_titude, you mentioned your history with ABF, that’s all😎😘🙏