Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Pay to transfer licence? IK Multimedia

I hadn't come across this before, is it common practice?
I sold an IKM iRig keys io49 for about £100. The new owner asked if I could deregister the product. IK Multimedia, when I emailed them, said yes I could... for €20.
Contrast with a Roland product I just deregistered with a single click on their website.
The good news is, the new owner got it re-registered for nothing. But I was really surprised by this request for more money. Am I out of touch? Here's the email:
Hello Ian,

Thanks for your patience while we got back to you.

We are happy to help you with this! A license Transfer can be purchased and you product may be used by another IK Multimedia user.

A License Transfer can be purchased here:

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/?A=license-transfer-credit

Comments

• It's normal for some companies to have fee on license transfer.
    As a workaround ,some people do "account takeover" where the seller gives username and password for the buyer ,to avoid such fees

• I only have experience with Arturia products in regards to license transfers and derigestering is easily done on your Arturia account page. In case of any problems, Arturia support has always been nice and pleasant to deal with.

Frankly, I'm appalled by the idea of buying "license transfer credit". There is no good justification for this fee that I can think of.

• @iansainsbury Did that license transfer allow the buyer to download the free apps that came with your original purchase? Apps which you may still be able to use, even after selling the product. That'd be the only justification I could see for charging for this.

• @uncledave said:
    @iansainsbury Did that license transfer allow the buyer to download the free apps that came with your original purchase? Apps which you may still be able to use, even after selling the product. That'd be the only justification I could see for charging for this.

There was no mention of the software (none of which I use) in the licence transfer but you’re right, that would at least make some sense. The guy who bought the keyboard knew he wasn’t getting any bundled software, though... Along with their proprietary cables (30 euros) to connect their keyboards to an iPad or USB port, it makes me reluctant to use their gear.
    I’ve bought and sold quite a few pieces of gear over the past eighteen months from Akai, teenage engineering and Roland etc, and this was a first.

• It’s very common, unfortunately. You have to check each company’s policy.

• This vile practice sounds ripe for an EU smackdown tbh

• It’s annoying on hardware, but on software they claim new users cost them money on support

• @iansainsbury said:

@uncledave said:
    @iansainsbury Did that license transfer allow the buyer to download the free apps that came with your original purchase? Apps which you may still be able to use, even after selling the product. That'd be the only justification I could see for charging for this.

There was no mention of the software (none of which I use) in the licence transfer but you’re right, that would at least make some sense. The guy who bought the keyboard knew he wasn’t getting any bundled software, though... Along with their proprietary cables (30 euros) to connect their keyboards to an iPad or USB port, it makes me reluctant to use their gear.
    I’ve bought and sold quite a few pieces of gear over the past eighteen months from Akai, teenage engineering and Roland etc, and this was a first.

I think that, once the new owner registers the device with IK, he becomes the "original purchaser", so he will be able to download the bundled software, just as you could have done.

• Yesterday, I bought a Novation Bass Station II second hand. Tried to register it in order to download the standalone version of Components (software to manage patches etc., also available as an online version). As I don't have the original packing, I couldn't register because you also need a "bundle code" that comes with it.
    I emailed Novation support and got a new bundle code 2 hours later. On a weekend night, mind you. Now, I just wanted the Components Software but I also got the included software bundle stuff, like Ableton Live Lite, patches, couple samples etc.
    So, that's nice and the process was quick and easy.

As a consumer, I'll remember companies that make after sales customer care request a pleasant experience. This informs future buying decisions, not everything is bought second hand ;)

• I have a version of Cubase Elements I'm not using anymore. So I decided to sell it. That's the only version that does not require a USB key to run. But, as I quickly found out, you can't transfer your licence without the USB key :# So I guess I'm keeping it

• I’d say pass that cost on to the buyer - he asked for the de register...and he benefits...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.