Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Dry/wet recording method

edited May 2014 in General App Discussion

Does anyone know how to can record both a dry and an effected signal at the same time? I like to have them both go to the speaker output at the same time. Thanks

Comments

• Depends on what you are running your chain in and what you are recording in, but for example, you could send the source input to 2 separate channels in Auria, have 1 record dry, and place your effects on the other then arm and record on both simultaneously.

• edited May 2014

Iaa? I got ya. Thanks @OmnilimbO

More specifically

I would like to capture a live performance tomorrow night, the sound guy will catch the signal on a hard drive eventually. Being the ios junkie that ive become, (no use denying it at this point) would like to incorporate effects, but would still like the original signal to come through as well. So basically both signals same time. Can this be achieved with out the overhead of Auria? I will be coming out of dock connecter. Would like dry signal to come through ipad as well as the wet. I am definitely open to options.

• edited May 2014

Cubasis has a lower over head than Auria I think.

• @TedBPhx thanks, I don't own a copy of Cubasis :( but wish I did and MTD doesn't seem to have the needed function suggested by Omni. Does the AB2 allow multiple outs, so to have speaker out on parallel streams? I don't have the IAP (yet) to test. Sorry for the ignorance, never had this need arise till now. I do use Auria and am becoming pretty handy with it, I am just polling for options.

• FYI, I received this suggestion adapter, not out of the connecting dock and won't be here in time so I will give the Auria suggestion above a go. Thanks gies for the advise.

• What is the source of your dry signal? iOS synths? External mics and instruments?

If it is external sources, then Audiobus 2 should make this simple. Just set up your effects chain on Audiobus as usual, then add a multi-track with the dry inputs going into Audioshare and record that yourself on the iPad.

• Guitar, Ok so like this.....

1) crystalline-->samvada--->Speaker out

2) line in--->___--->Audioshare (record enabled)

This will give me the effected guitar as well as the full dry signal in one stream to be used by the sound tech? I want the effected to be in addition to the dry. Thanks @Hmtx

• No. The dry will be recorded in AudioShare. The speaker out will contain both the dry and wet, mixed.

• edited May 2014

I'm not clear on your setup...how are you getting your guitar signal into your iOS device? Do you need to record the dry and wet signals on the iOS device and hand it off to the sound guy? If so, I assume you want the wet on one channel of the stereo pair and the dry on the other channel. This worked for me...

Two paths set up in AB2

Path 1 had AudioShare on the I/P and MTDAW on the O/P

Path 2 used the mic on the I/P then Crystalline and AUFX Dub (don't have Samvada) in the effects, and MTDAW in the O/P

I set AudioShare to record from the mic and enabled monitoring. In MTDAW I panned track 1 (recording path 1) hard left and the other track was panned hard right. I was able to record both in MTDAW with that. If your interface is stereo, you should be able to send it to the sound guy with no problem. If it is mono, then they will either get summed, or you will only be sending the wet or the dry. Of course you could send him the headphone O/P to ensure he gets both, but your audio quality will take a hit.

• edited May 2014

@Funjunkie27
    I'll be sending an elec accustic in and out with a two channel interface, mono in stereo out. Summing the signal should be fine, I think. No pre-record, live stream.

Basically I was hoping for a wet/dry/wet type of set up, within the ipad. I received a suggestion for ABY from another forum, but they are not the ios gurus we have here. I am not getting paid (as if) for this and didn't want to spend more cash on more gear. So can I get AB2 to work as an ABY switching pedal or a pedal that has a dry out? I know the sound I want, unmolested dry signal on top of a completely effected one. Maybe I'm taking the wrong approach to getting that.

• edited May 2014

I just reread your post @funjunkie27 and put some more thought into what your suggesting, seems like that should work, if I end up having to record at the same time as streaming the monitored audio, so be it. The only thing is I would lose stereo effect in Crystalline. But I guess I'm losing that already with Samvada coming after it(?)

• I don't know of any solution that would allow you to send more than two channels to your sound guy anyway, so both wet and dry would be mono.

• Can't you record the dry input in Audioshare, then route that to your fx apps and let the sound guy record the output? That way you have both dary and wet/dry recorded, just not on the same hardware.

• edited May 2014

@FunJunkie27 I have found an possible external solution for my needs by running a y cable from the guitar, one going to sound, one going to ipad then to sound, Parallel (neither effect is time sensitive). Possibly going to small local mixer direct in then splitting from there is something else I'm looking at.

@Omnilimbo had a suggestion I will investigate further as I only really need two channels summed. If it were just Crystalline, no problem but Samvada seems to really take over the sound, negating the original tone all together, which is a great background effect.

Thanks for taking your time to help, much appreciated, hopefully I can return the favor.

Btw off topic @FunJunkie, the music video you posted from your cruise was a great tune.

Edit: man I need to start refreshing before posting, Thanks @PaulB

• I've used Samvada as quite a subtle effect in the past, it should still be possible to preserve a lot of the original signal with the right slider settings...

• edited May 2014

I tried those at length I kept getting almost all effect, I may need to tweak some more, it seems to be becoming my motto.

• I'll have a go here and screen shot the setting if I get it working.

• Ok, this is working on my iPad 2. Samvada Mic Mix is dry/wet mix, Sustain is ring length. Adjust to taste.

• edited May 2014

Funny story, my wife says to me, "are you on that ipad again on that music forum"

"no honey! I'm gambling" (sarcastically)

"Yeah, You better be" (matter of factly)

Man I love that lady

Edit: again, sorry, nice, thanks @PaulB, I'll give it a go.

• Ok ran a test signal through it with audio share, first attempt no effect from Samvada at all, settings were correct, second attempt after closing and restarting the app perfectly effected sound and adjustable from the mic slider, yesterday with guitar completely effected sound hardly no original signal even after tweaking the slider, maybe this has to do with an interface being hooked up but I need to test further before jumping on that. Also seems to be crashing in the output slot. I may just record the drone separately and forgo the hassle (not quite the effect I'm after but neither is failure to launch). Now refreshing this page...ok

• edited May 2014

Can't you put both fx apps in sequence in the effects slot in AB2? I'm sure I've seen a screen shot...

I don't have AB2 so I can't confirm. Actually, I wonder if Samvada has a problem with AB2?

• @WMWM said:

Guitar, Ok so like this.....

1) crystalline-->samvada--->Speaker out

2) line in--->___--->Audioshare (record enabled)

This will give me the effected guitar as well as the full dry signal in one stream to be used by the sound tech? I want the effected to be in addition to the dry. Thanks @Hmtx

The headphone jack will send both streams to your output for your sound tech, yes. He would be able to record the mix as a single stereo recording. You could also put something else in stream 1 output to record your effects separately from the dry signal. Any of the AUFX apps can record. Just set wet to 0%

• edited May 2014

Awesome, many thanks @Hmtx.

@PaulB , that was exactly my approach.