Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Playback before importing (Drambo, Atom Piano Roll 2)

Hi!
I was wondering if any of you guys has some kind of workaround when it comes to importing samples, for instance to Drambo or Atom Piano Roll 2.

I usually import audio files to apps using audioshare, where you can play the sample (midi or audio) before sending it to the app of choice by selecting from a list of options (e.g. sector, patterning, etc). My issue is that Drambo and APR2 are not part of this list.

If I want to add a sample in Drambo (for instance in flexi sampler) or a midi file in APR2, what I see are the folders on my iPAD, and I cannot listen to these samples before importing them. Is there any way around this, so I can listen to the audio or midi file before having it incorporated in Drambo or APR2? I am aware I can place all my samples on a Drambo folder and listen to them from there before adding them to the sampler, but this would 1) duplicate the files I already have on the iPAD, and 2) be a rather convoluted way of doing it (first having to export all my samples to Drambo, then listen to them inside Drambo before adding them). It is just so much better to have all samples in one place (as in audioshare) and be able to pick and upload from there.

And speaking of importing samples, one more question: is there any way of keeping the file name when importing it to Atom Piano Roll 2? If I have a midi file named for instance "Piano in Eb" the name gets changed to "pattern 1", which I find useless (I love the app by the way, I just find this behavior odd)

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• @cfour said:

And speaking of importing samples, one more question: is there any way of keeping the file name when importing it to Atom Piano Roll 2? If I have a midi file named for instance "Piano in Eb" the name gets changed to "pattern 1", which I find useless (I love the app by the way, I just find this behavior odd)

Thanks for the help!

No, but trivial to add, I’ll make sure to prioritize it.

• Import them all, then you have the preview function. Files support is planned.

• @blueveek said:

@cfour said:

Thanks for the help!

No, but trivial to add, I’ll make sure to prioritize it.

Wow, I think you replied like in 10 seconds... your efficiency bends the fabric of spacetime.
    Thanks!!!!

• @rs2000 said:
    Import them all, then you have the preview function. Files support is planned.

Thanks for the reply! I was trying to avoid doing that as it creates duplicate files, and as you know iPAD space is a serious issue. But will do that for the time being

• wimwim
    edited April 2021

@cfour said:

@rs2000 said:

Thanks for the reply! I was trying to avoid doing that as it creates duplicate files, and as you know iPAD space is a serious issue. But will do that for the time being

It won't take any additional physical storage space because of the way iOS manages files. Take a look at the overall iPad storage in use (not individual apps) before and after the copy. It should remain roughly the same.

When iOS copies files it doesn't actually physically copy them, it makes a pointer to the original.

• @wim said:

@cfour said:

@rs2000 said:

It won't take any additional physical storage space because of the way iOS manages files. Take a look at the overall iPad storage in use (not individual apps) before and after the copy. It should remain roughly the same.

When iOS copies files it doesn't actually physically copy them, it makes a pointer to the original.

Oh!!! good to know.
    Thanks!!!

• @wim
    Not sure if 'copying' is the case here. Until Files support is added, importing via WebDAV will indeed create new files IMHO because it's not a filesystem level operation.

• wimwim
    edited April 2021

@rs2000 said:
    @wim
    Not sure if 'copying' is the case here. Until Files support is added, importing via WebDAV will indeed create new files IMHO because it's not a filesystem level operation.

Ugh. Yes, I guess you're right. :|

I'd never use the WebDAV anyway. When I want to import I use Import Folder. If the folder is in Audioshare I copy it out to a folder "On my iPad" first, then delete the folder after imported.

sorry for the misinformation @cfour .

I'll be looking forward to when this, the only inelegant (IMO) aspect of Drambo, is a thing of the past.

• @wim said:

@rs2000 said:
    @wim

I'd never use the WebDAV anyway. When I want to import I use Import Folder. If the folder is in Audioshare I copy it out to a folder "On my iPad" first, then delete the folder after imported.

I'll be looking forward to when this, the only inelegant (IMO) aspect of Drambo, is a thing of the past.

No problem! Thanks for the help in any case. For the time being I guess I will follow your example of sorting which samples I want, copying them to Drambo and then deleting that folder in Audioshare.

• @cfour said:

@wim said:

@rs2000 said:
    @wim

No problem! Thanks for the help in any case. For the time being I guess I will follow your example of sorting which samples I want, copying them to Drambo and then deleting that folder in Audioshare.

No need to delete the folder in AudioShare if you don't want to. The storage will be the same unless you use the WebDAV server to copy files into Drambo. Confusing, I know. Standard iOS copy operations, such as importing through the menus in Drambo, will not increase space. It'll only increase space if you fire up the WebDAV server and copy in that way.

• @wim said:

@cfour said:

@wim said:

@rs2000 said:
    @wim

No need to delete the folder in AudioShare if you don't want to. The storage will be the same unless you use the WebDAV server to copy files into Drambo. Confusing, I know. Standard iOS copy operations, such as importing through the menus in Drambo, will not increase space. It'll only increase space if you fire up the WebDAV server and copy in that way.

Thanks for the info! I had no clue that was the way it worked. Even better then...