Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Midi Guitar 2 as AUV3 in DAW?

Hi,
I downloaded the free version of Midi Guitar and the tracking is surprisingly good.
Before I purchase the IAPs I want to to know what is possible, I tried looking in the forum but couldn’t find the exact answer.

• Is it possible to send midi from the AUV3 Midi Guitar plugin?. That is, adding midi AFTER recording. I can add it as an audio auv3 plugin, but I don’t know if you can send midi from a plugin instance to another instrument, I’m using Zenbeats btw. In standalone I can’t see a “virtual midi out” but it’s probably cos I haven’t purchased the midi iap. To clarify, I know how it works in standalone, sending the guitar input into a virtual midi port that you can select in a daw. I’m asking about transforming an existing track in your daw to midi.
  • If the above is not possible, I’m still interested as I find the included sounds are pretty good. I own Roxyn but, even though it’s good, I find its sound a bit cluttered. To use the auv3 is it enough with the 10€ auv3 iap?

Thanks!

Comments

• @tahiche said:
    Hi,
    I downloaded the free version of Midi Guitar and the tracking is surprisingly good.
    Before I purchase the IAPs I want to to know what is possible, I tried looking in the forum but couldn’t find the exact answer.

• Is it possible to send midi from the AUV3 Midi Guitar plugin?. That is, adding midi AFTER recording. I can add it as an audio auv3 plugin, but I don’t know if you can send midi from a plugin instance to another instrument, I’m using Zenbeats btw. In standalone I can’t see a “virtual midi out” but it’s probably cos I haven’t purchased the midi iap. To clarify, I know how it works in standalone, sending the guitar input into a virtual midi port that you can select in a daw. I’m asking about transforming an existing track in your daw to midi.
    • If the above is not possible, I’m still interested as I find the included sounds are pretty good. I own Roxyn but, even though it’s good, I find its sound a bit cluttered. To use the auv3 is it enough with the 10€ auv3 iap?

Thanks!

Yes. MG can work as an effect and send it’s MIDI out:

• @tahiche : I have no idea if Zenbeats let’s you set things up like that. In AUM, it works fine.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @tahiche : I have no idea if Zenbeats let’s you set things up like that. In AUM, it works fine.

Thanks. That’s exactly what I was asking about.
    I can’t see the Midi Guitar port in Zenbeats, but it’s expected as I haven’t (yet) bought the IAP. So this might work or not, in theory in should but each daw has its own quirks.
    Can someone comment on Zenbeats specific case?.

I guess it’s ok if I purchase it, try it out and ask for a refund if it doesn’t work... it’s 30€ for both IAPs, that’s a lot for something you won’t be able to use.

• @tahiche said:

@espiegel123 said:
    @tahiche : I have no idea if Zenbeats let’s you set things up like that. In AUM, it works fine.

I can’t see the Midi Guitar port in Zenbeats, but it’s expected as I haven’t (yet) bought the IAP. So this might work or not, in theory in should but each daw has its own quirks.

I guess it’s ok if I purchase it, try it out and ask for a refund if it doesn’t work... it’s 30€ for both IAPs, that’s a lot for something you won’t be able to use.

Maybe post a question asking if Zenbeats allows MG Guitar AU's MIDI to be directed elsewhere.

Can you send Drambo AU's MIDI output elsewhere when
    It is loaded as an audio effect?

• @espiegel123 said:

@tahiche said:
    Hi,

Thanks!

How do you get the audio signal to pass through MG in this setup?

• @espiegel123 said:

@tahiche said:

@espiegel123 said:

Maybe post a question asking if Zenbeats allows MG Guitar AU's MIDI to be directed elsewhere.

Can you send Drambo AU's MIDI output elsewhere when
    It is loaded as an audio effect?

Good idea!. You’re right. I can’t seem to send midi from Drambo when loaded as a mFX in an audio track.
    I add a MidiOut module and I can only choose “midi out”. I guess it’s on the Zenbeats side, i can’t select another virtual midi from an effect in an audio track. I’ll ask in the Zenbeats thread. Thanks, that was helpful!.

• edited April 2021

@lukesleepwalker said:

@espiegel123 said:

@tahiche said:
    Hi,

Thanks!

How do you get the audio signal to pass through MG in this setup?

By using the "Direct" plugin option in the FX section of the Guitar side within MG2.

• Here is the screen grab of the configuration

• edited April 2021

I've got ZenBeats and Midi Guitar 2. Had a go but couldn't get it working. Can't get it working as either a MIDI or Audio effect on either an MIDI instrument track or an Audio track. It works in standalone mode but doesn't seem to 'hear' any audio in AU Mode. It might be 'operator error' but I've managed to get every other MIDI AU (Velocity Keyboard, Tonality etc) I've tried previously working. The Audio Configuration option just doesn't work at all in ZenBeats. Not sure whether it should or not but it doesn't. It may be possible but I certainly couldn't get it going

• Also just to add, I believe the demo is fully functional, it just pops up a nag screen and audio drop out for the IAP functions every xx seconds.

• @charalew said:
    I've got ZenBeats and Midi Guitar 2. Had a go but couldn't get it working. Can't get it working as either a MIDI or Audio effect on either an MIDI instrument track or an Audio track. It works in standalone mode but doesn't seem to 'hear' any audio in AU Mode. It might be 'operator error' but I've managed to get every other MIDI AU (Velocity Keyboard, Tonality etc) I've tried previously working. The Audio Configuration option just doesn't work at all in ZenBeats. Not sure whether it should or not but it doesn't. It may be possible but I certainly couldn't get it going

It is an audio effect when run as an AU. You send audio to it. The first thing to test is running audio into it and use MG's internal effects and synths to make sure it is set up right. From what tahiche said, it sounds like Zenbeats doesn't let you route MIDI output from an audio plugin to another track.

Fwiw, when I load MG in Zenbeats, the plugin window is empty.

• @espiegel123 said:

@charalew said:

It is an audio effect when run as an AU. You send audio to it. The first thing to test is running audio into it and use MG's internal effects and synths to make sure it is set up right. From what tahiche said, it sounds like Zenbeats doesn't let you route MIDI output from an audio plugin to another track.

Yeah I put it on an Audio track and once I turned Monitor on I could get it to trigger its internal instruments but as you say there doesn't seem to be any way to get the Midi from it into a MIDI track, which pretty much defeats the object! It can be done in AUM though so there are workarounds...

• @Cambler said:
    Also just to add, I believe the demo is fully functional, it just pops up a nag screen and audio drop out for the IAP functions every xx seconds.

Ok!. Good to know and makes sense.

@charalew said:

@espiegel123 said:

@charalew said:

Yeah I put it on an Audio track and once I turned Monitor on I could get it to trigger its internal instruments but as you say there doesn't seem to be any way to get the Midi from it into a MIDI track, which pretty much defeats the object! It can be done in AUM though so there are workarounds...

I can sei midi in to a Zenebeats instrument track from the standalone Midi Guitar app. Setting the midi out plugin in the app. Would/should work for playing guitar directly.
    But like @espiegel123 says there’s no way of sending midi from an audio track. This is something that seems to be done “magically” in aum.
    @charalew how do you use aum for this?. I mean to get the audio from a Zb track and turn it into midi. I tried loading the audio in an aum file player, then a midi guitar plugin and set the midi routing to output to “network midi”, then use that input in Zenbeats. But it’s not working.

• @tahiche said:

@Cambler said:
    Also just to add, I believe the demo is fully functional, it just pops up a nag screen and audio drop out for the IAP functions every xx seconds.

@charalew said:

@espiegel123 said:

@charalew said:

I can sei midi in to a Zenebeats instrument track from the standalone Midi Guitar app. Setting the midi out plugin in the app. Would/should work for playing guitar directly.
    But like @espiegel123 says there’s no way of sending midi from an audio track. This is something that seems to be done “magically” in aum.
    @charalew how do you use aum for this?. I mean to get the audio from a Zb track and turn it into midi. I tried loading the audio in an aum file player, then a midi guitar plugin and set the midi routing to output to “network midi”, then use that input in Zenbeats. But it’s not working.

I didn't quite get that far. What I did in AUM was create an audio track and add MIDI Guitar as an effect. Then I added a synth (Factory) on another Audio Track and used the routing matrix to send the output from MIDI Guitar to Factory. MIDI Guitar will then 'play' Factory. Can't do that in ZenBeats as it lacks the routing options.

• @charalew said:

@tahiche said:

@Cambler said:

@charalew said:

@espiegel123 said:

@charalew said:

I didn't quite get that far. What I did in AUM was create an audio track and add MIDI Guitar as an effect. Then I added a synth (Factory) on another Audio Track and used the routing matrix to send the output from MIDI Guitar to Factory. MIDI Guitar will then 'play' Factory. Can't do that in ZenBeats as it lacks the routing options.

My case was about doing midi from a previously recorded audio. It seems like you’re talking about playing “live”. In theory you should be able to play guitar “live” into Zenbeats midi. Just use the standalone Midi Guitar app, set it to output midi. In Zenbeats add an instrument track and enable Midi Guitar midi port as input. I haven’t tried it with Midi guitar yet, but I did use this method with Jam Synth guitar, which should be the same.

• @tahiche said:

@charalew said:

@tahiche said:

@Cambler said:

@charalew said:

@espiegel123 said:

@charalew said:

My case was about doing midi from a previously recorded audio. It seems like you’re talking about playing “live”. In theory you should be able to play guitar “live” into Zenbeats midi. Just use the standalone Midi Guitar app, set it to output midi. In ,Zenbeats add an instrument track and enable Midi Guitar midi port as input. I haven’t tried it with Midi guitar yet, but I did use this method with Jam Synth guitar, which should be the same.

Doing it with a previously recorded Audio in AUM works and is almost exactly the same as I described in my previous post. Create an Audio track, select File Player as the input instead of your hardware Audio Interface, add MIDI Guitar as an FX. Then create a second track with a Synth on it and Route MIDI Guitar to it. Just tried it. Works perfectly🙂

• @charalew said:

@tahiche said:

@charalew said:

@tahiche said:

@Cambler said:

@charalew said:

@espiegel123 said:

@charalew said:

My case was about doing midi from a previously recorded audio. It seems like you’re talking about playing “live”. In theory you should be able to play guitar “live” into Zenbeats midi. Just use the standalone Midi Guitar app, set it to output midi. In ,Zenbeats add an instrument track and enable Midi Guitar midi port as input. I haven’t tried it with Midi guitar yet, but I did use this method with Jam Synth guitar, which should be the same.

Doing it with a previously recorded Audio in AUM works and is almost exactly the same as I described in my previous post. Create an Audio track, select File Player as the input instead of your hardware Audio Interface, add MIDI Guitar as an FX. Then create a second track with a Synth on it and Route MIDI Guitar to it. Just tried it. Works perfectly🙂

Taking this one step further, I've just tested it and in AUM you can record route the MIDI from Midi Guitar to Atom 2 and record the output in Atom. You could then export MIDI from Atom 2 and import into ZenBeats so that's a complete Audio To Midi workflow, even if it is a little clunky.

• Doing it with a previously recorded Audio in AUM works and is almost exactly the same as I described in my previous post. Create an Audio track, select File Player as the input instead of your hardware Audio Interface, add MIDI Guitar as an FX. Then create a second track with a Synth on it and Route MIDI Guitar to it. Just tried it. Works perfectly🙂

@charalew

Does not work for me anymore with MG2 in AUM on my iPad Pro M1 with iPadOS 15.3.1.
    Does it still work for you?

• @Iskander said:

@charalew

Does not work for me anymore with MG2 in AUM on my iPad Pro M1 with iPadOS 15.3.1.
    Does it still work for you?

Is your buffer set to 256 or below? MG doesn't do midi tracking if buffer is above 256

• I’ve tried buffer 1024 and 512 at 48000. No success.

After deinstall, iPad restart and reinstall of MG2 it still does not work. It seems, that MG2 sends no midi-data.

• @Iskander said:
    I’ve tried buffer 1024 and 512 at 48000. No success.

After deinstall, iPad restart and reinstall of MG2 it still does not work. It seems, that MG2 sends no midi-data.

The buffer needs to be 256 or BELOW!!!

• Many thanks! It works now!
    Sometimes 512 is now working too.