Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ATOM 2 HELP

I love this app I bought a mini launchpad to use with it and it works nicely. What I’m having trouble with is before I had launchpad I remember setting up multiple instances of atom and next to each icon it had little circle that says launch/play so you could launch the different instances without opening up atom screen.
I’ve tried multiple times and can’t seem to get that to happen anymore I have a saved project that I can go back to that has it but if I open up a new instance add notes then check it’s not there. I don’t always have launchpad with me and I’d like to be able to do it with just iPad . I hope someone knows what I’m yalking about. Thank you

Comments

• wimwim
    edited April 2021

Bring up the AUM channel settings with the Hamburger menu to the left of the Atom icon. Then tap the “mixer” menu at to top right. Tap Launch, then enable the half dial looking icon at the bottom right.

• Ahh, thank you

• @wim said:
    👍

Thanks for answering! B)

• Hi,
    Atom 2 needs a launchpad mini mk3, correct?
    I believe it does not react to notes, which are sent by the launchpad mk2.

Great app, btw!

• edited May 2021

@chritha said:
    Hi,
    Atom 2 needs a launchpad mini mk3, correct?
    I believe it does not react to notes, which are sent by the launchpad mk2.

Hey, thanks dir the question. Atom has special integration with the mk3 controller so that you don’t have to do any setup.

However, you can still use the mk2 (or any other) controller as well, you’ll just need to manually map all of the buttons for clip launching, arming, muting etc., in addition to manually routing the MIDI in your host.

If you’re feeling adventurous, you can try making a custom Atom integration script to make your mk2 have all the mk3’s functionality. Happy to help you get started.

Great app, btw!

:heart:

• Thank you!
    I can see that the Pattern Switch Source can be set to Note, and that then the patterns are allocated to note 0, note 1, etc...
    To allocate "note 0" up to 15 to individual notes on the launchpad (starting with c1, I think) on a one-to-one basis it seems making a script would be the right choice. Also, I might be able to script my other controllers...
    How do I make such a script and what commands do I need and where do I put the script afterwards?
    Maybe there is a Atom Scripting community?

Again, thanks a lot for the help!

• edited May 2021

@chritha said:
    Thank you!
    I can see that the Pattern Switch Source can be set to Note, and that then the patterns are allocated to note 0, note 1, etc...
    To allocate "note 0" up to 15 to individual notes on the launchpad (starting with c1, I think) on a one-to-one basis it seems making a script would be the right choice. Also, I might be able to script my other controllers...
    How do I make such a script and what commands do I need and where do I put the script afterwards?
    Maybe there is a Atom Scripting community?

Again, thanks a lot for the help!

While that could work, you have much much more control if you use a clip per instance.
    Long press the launch button in the UI for more info.

To get started with scripting, check out the documentation here: https://github.com/victorporof/atom

Take a look at the information provided in my first post on the "Atom 2 is available" thread, and these two session videos, and this tutorial from @FloRi89.

Here's a refresher:

Pad assignment

Placing your clips onto pads and organizing them into sessions is different from what you might be used to with other plugins. Atom 2 has special integration with AUM so that your session is mirrored onto supported controllers by default.

Zoom out a bit in how you think about using the plugin: don't think of Atom as a standalone audio unit. Think of one Atom as representing a clip placed on rows and columns (tracks and slots) inside an AUM project, just like with Ableton’s "Session" view:

• AUM MIDI channels (tracks) with Atom clips are columns on your controller.
    • AUM AU nodes (slots) with Atom clips are rows on your controller.
    • Empty channels and nodes in AUM will be empty pads on your controller.
    • AUM's node color (long press titlebar to assign one) will be closely matched to a supported color.

For other hosts, you can configure pad assignment yourself using the “Clip” menu.

Auto-routing

No routing is necessary for the usual workflows when using supported controllers! You don’t need to constantly fumble around with the MIDI matrix to connect and disconnect the controller. If a scripted controller is connected:

• Open a clip (make the instance visible) if you want to noodle around and experiment.
    • Arm a clip (even when the instance isn’t visible, directly from the controller) to record.

The record arm function is automatically available on the Launchpad X and Pro Mk3. Parameter mapping for opening and arming clips is available for all controllers (including non-scripted ones) in hosts that support it.

Of course, you'll still need to point your clips to the instruments you want sequenced :)

• Thank you!

and I just also found your post of coming:

Input offset: lets you offset the first switch input. Useful for e.g. with notes, a value of 48 means that first pattern switches with C3 instead of C-1.

• @chritha said:
    Thank you!

and I just also found your post of coming:

Input offset: lets you offset the first switch input. Useful for e.g. with notes, a value of 48 means that first pattern switches with C3 instead of C-1.

Yes, the most recent update (released today!) includes that. I forgot to add it in the release notes :sweat_smile:

• edited August 2021

Hi,
    I am lazy, so I bought a launchpad mini mk3.
    But now I found out that you can not toggle record arm for the currently active clip on the Mini…
    THe important bit is that the button on the other launchpads intelligently selects the currently active clip, otherwise I would have to learn „record arm“ individually for every clip in AUM.

Is there a MIDI cc address for the missing „record arm“ button that I can use with another of my controllers, so it is still only one button needed?

Thank you

• There's an AUv3 parameter for Record On/Off. If you're in AUM, for instance, you can MIDI learn any CC you would like to that parameter. If you need help with mapping AU parameters in AUM or another host, someone here will surely be able to help you out.

• is it possible to record in Atom 2 without assigning a number of bars ? to have Atom running and recording what i play indefinitely ?

• Thank you,
    but as I understand, In AUM I would map the arm function individually per clip, so I would map as many MIDI CCs as I have clips, which is not really practical compared to the one single „record arm“ button on the Launchpad X?

• wimwim
    edited August 2021

Good point @chritha

That is probably possible by customizing the LaunchpadX Atom 2 script. You'd need to find out what midi message the Launchpad X record arm button sends, then write a function that toggles record on and off when that message is received.

• Good idea, but I don‘t have a launchpad X, otherwise I could just use a MIDI monitor.

• If I understand the Loopop youtube video I just watched correctly, the Launchpad X is able to detect the currently active clip whereas the Launchpad Mini mk3 is not, so this would be a hardware limitation.

• @chritha said:
    Good idea, but I don‘t have a launchpad X, otherwise I could just use a MIDI monitor.

Sorry, I must have misread your post.
    Well anyway, Atom 2 Scripting is able to react to any incoming MIDI message, and record arm on/off is one of the things that it can do in response.

• @mlau said:
    is it possible to record in Atom 2 without assigning a number of bars ? to have Atom running and recording what i play indefinitely ?

No. The workaround I use is that I have created some presets in AUM for various long takes 64 bars, 128 bars and 256 bars.

• @espiegel123 said:

@mlau said:
    is it possible to record in Atom 2 without assigning a number of bars ? to have Atom running and recording what i play indefinitely ?

No. The workaround I use is that I have created some presets in AUM for various long takes 64 bars, 128 bars and 256 bars.

that’s where i stand too 😎 tx for answering !

• edited September 2021

Trying my hand at scripting a controller.

Is there a way to view globals?
    For example, see all colors available in /* global Color /, or whats in / global SysEx */

Edit: sorry, the *'s are screwing with the formatting

• @AlmostAnonymous

If it helps, there is a scripting reference here:
    https://github.com/victorporof/atom

...and Victor's example scripts also contain numerous comments

• Ive seen that and already been through that
    It talks about "reuseable code", and i cant find any of the global stuff to see what can be reused ;)
    [unless im blind and not seeing it)

• Help with Atom 2 velocity please!!! I’m recording MIDI drum tracks using one shot samples in Koala. I’m finger drumming on a velocity sensitive Launchkey mini. It records well and at the played volume, but when Atom 2 starts looping it seems to play at the lowest velocity so the volume drops off significantly. I seem to be noticing this behavior (ie Atom not capturing as-played velocity) with some synths that are velocity sensitive. Is there a setting I’m missing to make sure Atom 2 is capturing MIDI velocity? TIA

• Quick question
    Using a mouse with atom 2
    Tried 2 different mouse’s, one Apple wireless and a wired muse
    Atom 2 av3 won’t let me select buttons or draw notes
    Has anyone else tried this set up, or had these problems or it works for you ?

• @Whadubber said:
    Help with Atom 2 velocity please!!! I’m recording MIDI drum tracks using one shot samples in Koala. I’m finger drumming on a velocity sensitive Launchkey mini. It records well and at the played volume, but when Atom 2 starts looping it seems to play at the lowest velocity so the volume drops off significantly. I seem to be noticing this behavior (ie Atom not capturing as-played velocity) with some synths that are velocity sensitive. Is there a setting I’m missing to make sure Atom 2 is capturing MIDI velocity? TIA

The best way to start is to verify the actual data. Try routing the Launchkey Mini directly to a midi monitor in addition to Atom 2. Route Atom 2's output to a second midi monitor. Then compare the velocity. It should be the same.

• @Whadubber - I did a quick test using a nanoKEY Studio. First I played three notes, recording them into Atom 2 and logging the input in MidiSpy. I then played Atom back and logged the output.

The velocities were correct. I did note that Atom 2 doesn't capture note-off velocity, but synths that use that are very rare, and it wouldn't affect things the way you're seeing.

I suspect there's something else going on. One guess is that you're routing the Mini directly to Atom 2 and also to the synths. By default Atom passes midi through, so you would be doubling up while playing. Normally you would route only to Atom 2 and let it take care of passing the notes along. You can override this, but it only complicates things to have parallel routing unless you specifically need it for other purposes.