Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Auria Pro worth purchasing???

2»

Comments

• @espiegel123 said:

@Gratouilli said:

@oat_phipps said:
    Plus, it’s still the only source of Timeless 2, Volcano....

Sadly, it isn't true anymore in my case and in the way I used Auria Pro to access these 2 effects + Saturn in AUM and AB3 😩🤷‍♂️
    There's a "bug" in Auria Pro, which the dev doesn't seem to be interested of, that makes it unusable (for my use). See here for more details : https://www.auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=16553

In iOS 14, Auria doesn’t work with Audiobus. Audiobus seems to work fine with it in iOS 13.

The Auria developer is apparently working on a COVID related job (maybe some lab machinery).

What bothers me is that I thought that switching to an new iPad would be a blessing... in fact, I've lost my workflow because of bugs or vanished apps 😥🤷‍♂️.
    I didn't expect that I would have to care more about iOS problems than enjoying my new power horse.

• @tahiche said:

@arktek One thing to note: BM3 has sidechaining only within it’s own FX (which are pretty decent in their own right). AP has AUv3 sidechaining implemented.

I wasn’t aware of this. Would you mind explaining the process?. I have BLEASS compressor, for example, that can do side chain.

@tahiche
    In the top right hand corner of the AUv3 plugin window is a side chain channel source selector. This will say Sidechain: Off by default. Select the channel you want to use as the source here. In the plugin itself you should have the choice of using internal or external as the trigger source. I don't have BLEASS compressor, but in Fabfiilter C2 (the AUv3 version) there is an option to choose INT or EXT.
    Choose external and you should see the sidechain trigger happening. Sidechaining in AP only works with an Audio track as source. It won't trigger directly off a MIDI channel. If you want to trigger off a MIDI channel you'll need to send the output to an audio track and then use the audio track to trigger from.

• When I was using Auria Pro a lot the other year, I decided in the end that I preferred the built in channel strip than all the fab filter equivalents I’d bought.

• Yes. I like the built in channel strip too and they come with some nice preset settings. I really like the sub channel compressor. It can be slammed pretty hard and just has a certain something to it. PSP are a pretty decent design company.

• @sljshh said:
    I just got the 2020 iPad pro and I’m trying to decide whether to start using Auria Pro or Beatmaker 3 as my new go to DAW. I’m moving on from Cubasis 3 until they implement basic mixing features I need like proper bussing/aux sends and side-chaining. However, I keep seeing complaints regarding Auria’s stability. I see reviews online saying the app is now practically unusable. Is anyone on the forum getting by with Auria? Or should I just not even bother with it and give Beatmaker a go?

Depends on the music you make , no one daw can do it all

I use combination of AUM + Cubasis 2+ Garageband

Auria is kinda left behind , all others daws have covered their features , Auria has nothing unique ( That is desirable ) going for them

• @hisdudeness said:

@sljshh said:
    I just got the 2020 iPad pro and I’m trying to decide whether to start using Auria Pro or Beatmaker 3 as my new go to DAW. I’m moving on from Cubasis 3 until they implement basic mixing features I need like proper bussing/aux sends and side-chaining. However, I keep seeing complaints regarding Auria’s stability. I see reviews online saying the app is now practically unusable. Is anyone on the forum getting by with Auria? Or should I just not even bother with it and give Beatmaker a go?

Auria is kinda left behind , all others daws have covered their features , Auria has nothing unique ( That is desirable ) going for them

Strongly disagree.
    If audio editing or serious mixing is something you desire Auria is the only option. It shouldn’t be, but right now it is. You can’t even do cross fades between regions in other daws.
    Actually it’s not that Auria is surprisingly powerful and ahead of its time, what’s surprising is that other daws are so limited in the audio department.

• edited April 2021

@hisdudeness said:

@sljshh said:

Auria Pro has a tempo track. That is a non-negotiable standard feature for any real desktop daw. The fact that Cubasis 2/3 still doesn’t have that is frankly amateur hour. For serous mixing and bussing AP is the only game in town. The channel and master strips are still the most powerful and professional. As @tahiche said it has more to do with how limited the other daws are, in comparison AP is by far the least limited. I use all the other daws for sketching demos or arranging, but Auria is the pro tool that puts it all together for production. Also, and this is subjective, I find that it sounds the best even on simple tasks, and certainly mixes down at a professional level.

• @tahiche said:

@hisdudeness said:

@sljshh said:

Strongly disagree.
    If audio editing or serious mixing is something you desire Auria is the only option. It shouldn’t be, but right now it is. You can’t even do cross fades between regions in other daws.
    Actually it’s not that Auria is surprisingly powerful and ahead of its time, what’s surprising is that other daws are so limited in the audio department.

As I mentioned , not one daw can do it all,

Besides I’ve had Auria for a while now, I tried to convince myself I like it , but I never seem to reach for it

-When I try to open my old project (5 years ) starts doing all funny things , crashes etc
    - when the track is more than 10 , not always stable
    - FOR ME the BIGGEST downside to Auria is not the features it offers, but has to do why I love IOS platform, ie playing and interacting with different apps , that’s where Auria is weakest , moment you start playing around or talking With others apps, a crash is not far away

As for advanced audio editing , I just open GB files in logic ( as there always be some feature missing in iOS daws)
    for simple edits I find GB much way more easier

• @hisdudeness said:

@tahiche said:

@hisdudeness said:

@sljshh said:

Strongly disagree.

Besides I’ve had Auria for a while now, I tried to convince myself I like it , but I never seem to reach for it

-When I try to open my old project (5 years ) starts doing all funny things , crashes etc
    - FOR ME the BIGGEST downside to Auria is not the features it offers, but has to do why I love IOS platform, ie playing and interacting with different apps , that’s where Auria is weakest , moment you start playing around or talking With others apps, a crash is not far away

As for advanced audio editing , I just open GB files in logic ( as there always be some feature missing in iOS daws)

I think it is different to say “I don’t use the features Auria has that other DAWs don’t “ than “ Auria is kinda left behind , all others daws have covered their features , Auria has nothing unique ( That is desirable ) going for them”

Auria has some features some of us find essential that other DAWs don’t. The stability issues are a definite buzzkill. But some of us feel the need to put up with them because there are important features it has that the other DAWs sadly don’t.

• @espiegel123 said:

@hisdudeness said:

@tahiche said:

@hisdudeness said:

@sljshh said:

Strongly disagree.

I think it is different to say “I don’t use the features Auria has that other DAWs don’t “ than “ Auria is kinda left behind , all others daws have covered their features , Auria has nothing unique ( That is desirable ) going for them”

Auria has some features some of us find essential that other DAWs don’t. The stability issues are a definite buzzkill. But some of us feel the need to put up with them because there are important features it has that the other DAWs sadly don’t.

Guess you are right , but it’s more like I know the features , have used the features , but not worth spending time on anymore

I remember when I brought it first , it was the only one which had fab filter , sub grouping ( aum was even released I think), open video to sync audio , THU amp , cross fades etc, huge deal!!!
    But even then ,
    -moving audio in and out of Auria was a pain and still is (compared to other apps)
    - integration with IAA apps was not great and still is not with AU
    - Could not freely move app slots , selecting apps was not smooth ( when you have too many ), compare that with how AUM evolved with a simple search , you would thing they could have made user enhancements by now

at least the theme was build you track elsewhere and master in auria
    I can’t even open some of these projects anymore

My Point being I’f not worded correctly, Auria was way ahead of game few years earlier
    ( the only major major update I believe in last few years was “midi” addition )

now I believe other apps have kinds Bridged the gap , if not completely

• @hisdudeness : i guess for many of us the gap hasn't been bridged, sadly. Some features that are important in some of our workflow are probably not important to many people (tempo and meter changes, crossfades, sample accurate audio and MIDI edits), the bussing system to name a few.

I agree that it has not really gotten any friendlier over time -- but the other DAWs still haven't caught up in some ways important to some workflows -- if they had I would gladly move on.

Btw, you mention that it is hard to get audio into Auria Pro -- were you aware that you can drag and drop audio files from the Files app directly onto your tracks?

• @espiegel123 said:
    @hisdudeness : i guess for many of us the gap hasn't been bridged, sadly. Some features that are important in some of our workflow are probably not important to many people (tempo and meter changes, crossfades, sample accurate audio and MIDI edits), the bussing system to name a few.

I agree that it has not really gotten any friendlier over time -- but the other DAWs still haven't caught up in some ways important to some workflows -- if they had I would gladly move on.

Btw, you mention that it is hard to get audio into Auria Pro -- were you aware that you can drag and drop audio files from the Files app directly onto your tracks?

Absolutely Agreed about tempo track and sample audio
    cross fades I’m sure someone will get they soon, gain automation for me for now and Logic Pro for advanced
    Bussing - painful to say the least in Auria , have to be careful about which au’s to use ,
    become confusing when you
    want to use more than 4 Fx , create some tracks new for extra fx, and then in case you want to change order
    If you change around 8fx while a track is playing a crash is in order , (that’s what I love about AUM how seamlessly you can take audio FX in and out while track is playing )
    MIDI - cubasis all the way for me personally

Yes Iam ware about files

I was mostly talking about ease and speed

For me I move audio a lot between audioshare and my mac , also copy pasting between apps, airdropping

I got fed up of those crashes while pasting , losing audio name on track etc
    The ‘open in’ though kinda redundant now, was always buggy

I think I have to mention Auria was my first IOS daw after GB so Iam fond of it in some respects ,I purchased CB much later
    All those Complex AUM setups user on this forum posted , to record audio worked well only on CB

So my response to the post , would I buy it in 2021 for 50 usd?, for me personally NO , at sale price for sure it worth
    Iam sure by 2022 the gap might be bridged more
    Who know Apple might unlock some paid features on GarageBand:)

• @hisdudeness now I believe other apps have kinds Bridged the gap , if not completely

How?. Where?.
    For “advance editing” you resort to Logic...
    crossfades, bounce in place, merge regions, transient editing, buses. You call that advance editing?. Cos to me it’s basic stuff in the year 2021 and it’s unbelievable that iOS daws haven’t got it covered.
    Let me make something clear, I don’t really like Auria. Don’t like it’s looks, UI and how it feels like a Protools for iOS that makes you wish you had a mouse. It also crashes frequently and is not updated frequently. But it’s still the most advanced DAW on iOS, which you’d think should put some pressure on those other daws.
    DAW = Digital AUDIO Workstation.
    Again, I don’t resort to Auria until “I have to”, and I think many of us are in that boat, it’s a shame. As I said I don’t enjoy the looks and general feel. Maybe @JoyceRoadStudios or @espiegel123 can comment on their use case. But it’s undeniably the most advanced and full featured daw. And that’s not a matter of opinion.

• @tahiche said:

@hisdudeness now I believe other apps have kinds Bridged the gap , if not completely

How?. Where?.
    For “advance editing” you resort to Logic...
    crossfades, bounce in place, merge regions, transient editing, buses. You call that advance editing?. Cos to me it’s basic stuff in the year 2021 and it’s unbelievable that iOS daws haven’t got it covered.
    Let me make something clear, I don’t really like Auria. Don’t like it’s looks, UI and how it feels like a Protools for iOS that makes you wish you had a mouse. It also crashes frequently and is not updated frequently. But it’s still the most advanced DAW on iOS, which you’d think should put some pressure on those other daws.
    DAW = Digital AUDIO Workstation.
    Again, I don’t resort to Auria until “I have to”, and I think many of us are in that boat, it’s a shame. As I said I don’t enjoy the looks and general feel. Maybe @JoyceRoadStudios or @espiegel123 can comment on their use case. But it’s undeniably the most advanced and full featured daw. And that’s not a matter of opinion.

No ones denying the capabilities of Auria
    I think the question was whether Auria is worth purchasing not whether how advanced Auria Pro, so “worth” is definitely is a matter of opinion . ... Whether user can or can’t live without some features
    So as @espiegel123 pointed out , some can’t , so each to their own.

Point is , IOS is a niche market , to make “ mobile music” on the go, that’s where I enjoy the platform the most , i personally am ok with limitations to an extent , since IOS medium cant be expected to compete with heavy hitters on desktop ( or maybe in future ....)

If anything Desktop experience is coming closer to IOS experience ( with touch screens on windows , screens getting smaller ) than the other way around

Pp

• edited April 2021

I am currently mixing a old song of mine.
    29 Audio tracks + 2 reference tracks
    Into 7 subs
    With 2 aux
    Tons of effects

It as been rock solid.

Edit: iPad Pro 10.5 second gen
    iOS 14.4.1

• I don't think instability is caused by the number of tracks, busses, or AUX channels - not in my experience anyway. I routinely have projects with 30 or 40 tracks, multiple busses, and AUX channels that work without issue.

Generally instability is caused by an issue with an external plugin. Once you track down the plugin the project will usually behave again.

• @richardyot said:
    I don't think instability is caused by the number of tracks, busses, or AUX channels - not in my experience anyway. I routinely have projects with 30 or 40 tracks, multiple busses, and AUX channels that work without issue.

Generally instability is caused by an issue with an external plugin. Once you track down the plugin the project will usually behave again.

I agree in that crashes do not seem directly related to project size or dsp overloading. But I wouldn’t entirely blame external plugins. In my experience I’ve had the most crashes when resizing windows or zooming. Thing with Auria is once it starts crashing, it does so very frequently. On the good side, it recovers and loads up very quickly too. And when it starts up again your last state is opened up. Actually that hasn’t been mentioned here, Auria’ startup time is really low.

• @tahiche said:

@richardyot said:
    I don't think instability is caused by the number of tracks, busses, or AUX channels - not in my experience anyway. I routinely have projects with 30 or 40 tracks, multiple busses, and AUX channels that work without issue.

I agree in that crashes do not seem directly related to project size or dsp overloading. But I wouldn’t entirely blame external plugins. In my experience I’ve had the most crashes when resizing windows or zooming. Thing with Auria is once it starts crashing, it does so very frequently. On the good side, it recovers and loads up very quickly too. And when it starts up again your last state is opened up. Actually that hasn’t been mentioned here, Auria’ startup time is really low.

That's interesting - I rarely resize windows in Auria so maybe that's why I've dodged this particular issue.

• @richardyot said:

Do you mean plugin that is used, or plugin that merely exists on the device?

• edited April 2021

@u0421793 said:

@richardyot said:

Do you mean plugin that is used, or plugin that merely exists on the device?

Generally a plugin in use in the project - but having said that there have been some cases where the plugin merely existing on the device also broke Auria. I think the original Tonebridge was one, and there have been a few others.

(edit) I guess this happens when Auria parses the plugins on the device at launch.

• @richardyot said:

That as been my experience too. My too worst offender a soon far have been.

zMors EQ
    Audio damage -Grind

• edited April 2021

I am starting to wonder if mixbox is not causing a non critical crash on startup. Can anybody confirm?

Such a great plugin I hope it can be fixed.

• I would stay far away from this app.

• @AIRstudio said:
    I would stay far away from this app.

Why are you THIS mad?? There are plenty of other DAW options on IOS. If this app didnt work for you..FINE but to go in EVERY Auria post to slam a app YOU CHOSE to stay with (without any updates) is not necessary. You came to IOS music..USED it up and ran to MAC. Walk off and be happy but don't come back to ridicule IOS

• @ninobeatz said:

@AIRstudio said:
    I would stay far away from this app.

Why are you THIS mad?? There are plenty of other DAW options on IOS. If this app didnt work for you..FINE but to go in EVERY Auria post to slam a app YOU CHOSE to stay with (without any updates) is not necessary. You came to IOS music..USED it up and ran to MAC. Walk off and be happy but don't come back to ridicule IOS

You know what they say - ‘from love to hate, one step’. He probably used to love this app, and so did I.

• To me @AIRstudio look like a second account made for anonymous bashing.