Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Beatcutter: Crowdsourcing the learning curve

12346»

Comments

• I think Igor is following this thread, so thinking out loud may have results

• @Toastedghost said:
    Just thinking it would be great if we could copy and paste into triggers and other buses once we have them set to our liking.

I would find a "copy to all buses" button to be very useful, especially for triggers.

• @Gavinski said:
    Ok, so here is a huge step forwards for me in actually being able to control this thing. It is masterable. So I invite anyone who is interested in cracking the Beatcutter code to tell me what the method is.

OK, I'll have a go at this. I'm not 100% confident that I've got all of it, but I think I have a reasonable amount.

First, it helps that you're feeding the app an extremely simple input. Both of those channels are just playing single staccato pitches at a constant rhythm, right? The output would be more complex (but probably still somewhat predictable given these settings) if they were playing an arp, for example.

Second, you've got most of the busses in the same position on the matrix, so the channel relationships are relatively simple: input 1 samples are played back by control 1 on beat 1 of the sequencer through output 1. The triggers are cross-cutting the matrix relative to everything else, which means that each vertical stack of cells contains notes from all eight triggers - but the triggers all fire simultaneously, every beat (except trigger 7, which seems to have something weird going on), and since the input busses line up with the sequencer, every beat predictably plays a sample from a consistent input regardless of which trigger prompted its recording. You seem to have the trigger lengths set for multi-beat sampling, and the outputs don't immediately show signal when the corresponding sequencer goes off, so I'm guessing that there's both a significant amount of silence in each sample (the staccato inputs), and that having samples longer than the sequencer beat setting means that some sequencer triggers don't actually fire a new cell each beat, because the previously-fired cell is still playing.

The actual significant variation in channel-to-channel sound is in the control and output busses: the control busses have variable pitch settings (including some static octave shifts and some LFO-controlled warbling in the several-cents region), and the output busses have, at the least, different delay settings. The "twist" at the end is the result of you shifting the control bus from bus mode 1 to 2 to 3 to 1, which changes which cells are getting pitch-shifted at playback; the whooping you hear is the result of the control settings for a cell changing mid-playback, causing a pitch slide.

This is all based on what I can make out from your whirlwind tour through the controls in the video; I'd be more confident in my interpretation if I'd seen the input bus settings, or heard both of the input streams without the effect.

• Just thinking it would be great if we could copy and paste into triggers and other buses once we have them set to our liking.> @celtic_elk said:

@Toastedghost said:
    Just thinking it would be great if we could copy and paste into triggers and other buses once we have them set to our liking.

I would find a "copy to all buses" button to be very useful, especially for triggers.

Thats a big defo for me. Copy and paste would simplify most modes.

• I knew you'd have no probs spotting the main things. Added a few comments below

@celtic_elk said:

@Gavinski said:
    Ok, so here is a huge step forwards for me in actually being able to control this thing. It is masterable. So I invite anyone who is interested in cracking the Beatcutter code to tell me what the method is.

OK, I'll have a go at this. I'm not 100% confident that I've got all of it, but I think I have a reasonable amount.

First, it helps that you're feeding the app an extremely simple input. Both of those channels are just playing single staccato pitches at a constant rhythm, right? The output would be more complex (but probably still somewhat predictable given these settings) if they were playing an arp, for example.

Yes, just one note every beat, same note to both instruments, one a double bass, one a violin, so the texture is different.

Second, you've got most of the busses in the same position on the matrix, so the channel relationships are relatively simple: input 1 samples are played back by control 1 on beat 1 of the sequencer through output 1. The triggers are cross-cutting the matrix relative to everything else, which means that each vertical stack of cells contains notes from all eight triggers - but the triggers all fire simultaneously, every beat (except trigger 7, which seems to have something weird going on),

Well observed! Length slider is higher on 7, combined with its sensitivity setting it can sometimes result in slightly longer recording times.
    >

and since the input busses line up with the sequencer, every beat predictably plays a sample from a consistent input regardless of which trigger prompted its recording. You seem to have the trigger lengths set for multi-beat sampling, and the outputs don't immediately show signal when the corresponding sequencer goes off, so I'm guessing that there's both a significant amount of silence in each sample (the staccato inputs), and that having samples longer than the sequencer beat setting means that some sequencer triggers don't actually fire a new cell each beat, because the previously-fired cell is still playing.

The actual significant variation in channel-to-channel sound is in the control and output busses: the control busses have variable pitch settings (including some static octave shifts and some LFO-controlled warbling in the several-cents region), and the output busses have, at the least, different delay settings. The "twist" at the end is the result of you shifting the control bus from bus mode 1 to 2 to 3 to 1, which changes which cells are getting pitch-shifted at playback; the whooping you hear is the result of the control settings for a cell changing mid-playback, causing a pitch slide.

Yes, all well observed!

This is all based on what I can make out from your whirlwind tour through the controls in the video; I'd be more confident in my interpretation if I'd seen the input bus settings, or heard both of the input streams without the effect.

Great! Another important thing to mention is that Bitmasking is all set to zero so there is no glitchiness whatsoever. Variable delay rate and feedback on the various processing pages leads to a lot of interesting complex delays but no automation is applied to those so they remain predictable except when I do the twist of changing the Control Bus Mode number. Top Marks Elk! 👌😋

• Also worth mentioning the chsnge slider on main screen is set to 8 seconds allowing a longer morph when changing bus mode or other settings

• @Gavinski said:
    Also worth mentioning the change slider on the main screen is set to 8 seconds allowing a longer morph when changing bus mode or other settings

• @Gavinski Thanks! Relieved that I didn't miss too much. :D

• Haven't read or seen every post so sorry if this been up already. In stand alone mode I imported only one sound and then sat all triggers to that source (I1). Pretty interesting with a fairly slow pendulum sequence. No template setting beside 8 inputs, the rest on "x". After a while I changed the source to another sound file and then switched back again. This opens up for some interesting use. Sorry again if you already been over this.

• As a sugession for Igor, I believe it would be really useful if the randomise feature had a slider before random allowing levels from subtle to more extreme. That way you could dial in the random with a little more control.

• I wish I could lock parameters from randomization. Really dial it in. Will ask.

• @gusgranite said:
    I wish I could lock parameters from randomization. Really dial it in. Will ask.

Do you mean "lock individual sliders"? You can already lock parameter groups on the template.

• @celtic_elk said:

@gusgranite said:

Do you mean "lock individual sliders"? You can already lock parameter groups on the template.

I read that on day one and then totally forgot it again. The app is so deep it also wipes your memory...

Thanks 🙏

• edited April 2021

Tried flicking instruments in and out, in that way they are sampled in,

• @gusgranite said:

That's done by putting an 'x' in a spot in the template section. > @Toastedghost said:

As a sugession for Igor, I believe it would be really useful if the randomise feature had a slider before random allowing levels from subtle to more extreme. That way you could dial in the random with a little more control.

I like that idea, definitely. Please suggest it to him

• @Gavinski said:

@gusgranite said:

That's done by putting an 'x' in a spot in the template section. > @Toastedghost said:

As a sugession for Igor, I believe it would be really useful if the randomise feature had a slider before random allowing levels from subtle to more extreme. That way you could dial in the random with a little more control.

I like that idea, definitely. Please suggest it to him

I have passed on my suggestion.
    My latest noodlings

• Experimenting with voices.
    Text to american vouce then vocodered and pop into Beatcutter with a reverse delay

• Ok, here goes. I hated this app. It genuinely made me stupid and frustrated. I’m a bit bored of chord progressions, scales etc and wanted to push myself. Thank you to @Gavinski @MarkH @Toastedghost @celtic_elk and Leo from SoundForMore (can’t find him when I type him in) and everyone else who has contributed to sharing knowledge on this app.

I’m celebrating my first babystep by posting this. It’s 8 pieces of harp with a very basic beat. I know I’m triggering too much and it’s chaotic. I’m not exactly adding to the knowledge on this thread except for suggesting that it’s good to transpose things up or down a few semitones so that all pieces are in the same key.

I am addicted and look forward to experimenting. Thank you all for your help.

• @rud said:
    Ok, here goes. I hated this app. It genuinely made me stupid and frustrated. I’m a bit bored of chord progressions, scales etc and wanted to push myself. Thank you to @Gavinski @MarkH @Toastedghost @celtic_elk and Leo from SoundForMore (can’t find him when I type him in) and everyone else who has contributed to sharing knowledge on this app.

I’m celebrating my first babystep by posting this. It’s 8 pieces of harp with a very basic beat. I know I’m triggering too much and it’s chaotic. I’m not exactly adding to the knowledge on this thread except for suggesting that it’s good to transpose things up or down a few semitones so that all pieces are in the same key.

Cutting your teeth nicely. Well done. Just did my first live gig using Beatcutter, Hammerhead and Mixbox. Was a bit nerveous cos why wife and daughter were in the audience. Should not have worried it went down great. Keep up the good work.

• @rud said:
    Ok, here goes. I hated this app. It genuinely made me stupid and frustrated. I’m a bit bored of chord progressions, scales etc and wanted to push myself. Thank you to @Gavinski @MarkH @Toastedghost @celtic_elk and Leo from SoundForMore (can’t find him when I type him in) and everyone else who has contributed to sharing knowledge on this app.

Nice one @rud BeatCutter is incredibly frustrating until you get it, but that means the reward is finally super sweet once it does start to click.

• Thanks @Toastedghost I wonder if that’s the first Beatcutter gig? Thanks @Gavinski the rewards are increasing.
    Could anyone tell me about changing presets please? On the main screen, if I load up a different template do I then have to go to all eight input tracks and press play in the top right corner?