Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Beatcutter: Crowdsourcing the learning curve

Comments

• edited April 2021

Another experi from Beatcutter

Kicks in half way through

• @Toastedghost Really enjoying your experiments - keep 'em coming!

• 3 is up now:

• @celtic_elk said:
    @Toastedghost Really enjoying your experiments - keep 'em coming!

Thanks buddy look forward to your greater insights

• @Toastedghost said:

@celtic_elk said:
    @Toastedghost Really enjoying your experiments - keep 'em coming!

Thanks buddy look forward to your greater insights

You were asking for pics of templates settings etc. I have been posting a bunch of different tips etc on my twitter, you may find them useful. @gavinski_s I have posted probably 20 or 30 posts related to BeatCutter over the past few days

• @celtic_elk you should definitely consider making a tutorial cos I think u have the best understanding of this app of anyone other than Igor probably

• Once you start you can’t stop
    Got any Anti-Beatcutter medication?

• @Toastedghost said:
    Once you start you can’t stop
    Got any Anti-Beatcutter medication?

Funny, that sounds almost exactly like the beatcutter jam I am doing right now 😂😂😂. I agree, most addictive and fascinating app I have played with since Gauss, perhaps

• On a much deeper level of complexity than Gauss of course, but oh....they go well together too

• @Gavinski said:
    On a much deeper level of complexity than Gauss of course, but oh....they go well together too

No Gauss in the above example but there is Slo Machine, Nu rack with Jakob’s “feeding the Cat” preset and a touch of Cloud Reverb for good measure.
    Post up your your creation would love to hear.

• There's no point - it literally sounds pretty much exactly the same as what u just posted 🤣🤣🤣

• @Gavinski said:
    There's no point - it literally sounds pretty much exactly the same as what u just posted 🤣🤣🤣

Hey sorry man, do you drink Guiness? Must buy you a pint

• Hang on I went and did this variation on it using Gauss, pretty cool:

The trick here was to route Beatcutter output to two other AUM channels using bus sends. I then made gauss loops out of them, used trigs to rhythmize them and added some FX. This makes a very organic percussion accompaniment, as the percussion sounds are made from the melodic content
    Guinness? Used to love it but I am straight edge these days 😜

• This version is embedded - god. There is no way with these social media posts that doesn’t have drawbacks

• Step Poly Arp is very nice to use for these setups due to the handy feature of being able to route individual lines to different midi channels

• @RUST( i )K said:
    I have accepted that I will never CONTROL Igors apps. They more control me. I accept it. Being that the majority of instruments I use are hardware, his apps to me are exceptional ancillaries for sonic textures or manipulation. I am about to grab this once I decide on iOS update or not.

This is exactly the spirit one needs in my opinion! I’m not going into any project with this thinking I know what I want it to sound like. Knowing the basics is enough to be dangerous IMO!

• @Gavinski said:
    This version is embedded - god. There is no way with these social media posts that doesn’t have drawbacks

Brilliant!

• OboObo
    edited April 2021

Here’s my latest concoction. Definitely came in on the longer side. Couple of vocals that come in pretty hot around the 6 min mark, just mind your ears! Can’t get enough of this app

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/MaZ3ZrzywVNMwvQg7

• Nice one @Obo
    Here my latest

• @Toastedghost said:
    Nice one @Obo
    Here my latest

Nice, this one turned out good! Is that a one shot (kick/snare/Tom?) sample you have going in there? Listened on not great speakers but just curious if that’s a one shot or if it’s chopping that sample to sound like it?

• @Obo said:

@Toastedghost said:
    Nice one @Obo
    Here my latest

Nice, this one turned out good! Is that a one shot (kick/snare/Tom?) sample you have going in there? Listened on not great speakers but just curious if that’s a one shot or if it’s chopping that sample to sound like it?

Yes it is Drum Computer but it is slow down half speed by Slo Machine from Bleass

• edited April 2021

OK, here’s an example of something I’ve been trying with BeatCutter. This is my first time doing a video recording with AUM, or sharing anything I’ve made, actually, so please be gentle. I took a relatively boring loop I’d built some time ago with a few elements, piped all the channels into BeatCutter on a separate track, and added some compression and echo.

This was made by tweaking individual bus controls, rather than the template; note that the sequencer is on Random, which reduces the predictability of the output given a static input.

• @celtic_elk said:
    OK, here’s an example of something I’ve been trying with BeatCutter. This is my first time doing a video recording with AUM, or sharing anything I’ve made, actually, so please be gentle. I took a relatively boring loop I’d built some time ago with a few elements, piped all the channels into BeatCutter on a separate track, and added some compression and echo.

This was made by tweaking individual bus controls, rather than the template; note that the sequencer is on Random, which reduces the predictability of the output given a static input.

This sounds really great! Nice work!

• @echoopera said:

@celtic_elk said:

I agree and for your first time presenting work excellent. It is only by feeling vunerable that we grow. I look forward to you present some of your found knowledge in the future.

• @Toastedghost said:

@echoopera said:

@celtic_elk said:

I agree and for your first time presenting work excellent. It is only by feeling vunerable that we grow. I look forward to you present some of your found knowledge in the future.

Well said @Toastedghost and well done @celtic_elk. You know you’ve arrived when your track features echo and you get the nod from @echoopera!

TG - can’t help but think that you and I throwing up a link to everything we create played no small role in this moment of growth! I can picture it now “hell, now I can do better than that! Hell, I can do better than that too!” 🤣😂🤣 (mostly kidding!)

• Thanks for the encouragement, y’all. Imposter syndrome’s a bitch. 😄 More little sketches like this will probably be forthcoming. I’ve been going back through the AUM sessions I’ve saved and saying "hmmm...what happens if...?" and mostly getting interesting results. That’s part of the beauty of this app - you can feed it super-simple materials and get a kaleidoscope of shifting textures with the right settings.

• Nice one guys! Let's not be too worried about quality of these - in my view we're just tasters of what the app can do. What I'm really looking forward to is when Igor adds the inputs page (and hopefully multi out too) so that it's much easier to add structure to the madness in aum without needing to set up midi mixer or laying down audio tracks etc. Hopefully the inputs page is coming soon.