Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Arturia Keystep 37 vs Keystep pro for iOS?

I must admit the new LaunchKey w the new strummer update is talking to me , it seems.
Keystep pro has a four track sequencer that is reportedly quite decent

Comments

• So you have a lot of hardware?

I’m looking at the Arturia MKii 61. Totally different usage... no ARP, no sequencer, but I get those on the iPad... and I have no hardware.

I fear my lack of understanding, but I applaud your desire.

• The Launchkey looks like more fun and half the price? They seem to be different beasts.

• @LinearLineman Even if you don't use its CV outputs at all, the Keystep Pro's sequencer is something worth a closer look.

• I decided to get the Keystep pro for my AUM workflow because I was fed up with switching back and forth between the sequencer apps (like LK or Atom) and the synth apps. It simply killed my creativity.

After 3 months of use what I like:

• All the sequencer functions are at my hand close to the keys (no need to lean over the keyboard with stretched arms to reach the ipad)
    • Physical buttons! For me it’s like you have physical buttons and knobs in your car to control basic functions like air conditioning vs some modern cars where you have to do it on a touch screen in a sub menu
    • Dedicated buttons for each track and midi channel
    • Arp
    • Keyboard split (and how easy to configure) especially combined with arp

Things that could be better

• You’re limited to 4 bars per pattern (8 would be ideal). However there’s a workaround, you can daisy chain patterns, but keys can not overlap the patterns (note on in pattern 1 and note off in pattern 2 will not work)
    • arp can not be recorded into the sequencer
    • No ipad app for managing the KS Pro, you have to connect it to a PC or Mac to do that.
  • edited April 2021

@GLacey : Crap, you can’t integrate Keystep pro into your iPad!? I didn’t know , thanks for telling me . What about the Keystep 37? I may just end up getting the Launchkey then. DARN it!!!Again, thanks for the synopsis there .
    Wait , doesn’t Doug manage it without a computer here?

• @Telstar5 said:
    @GLacey : Crap, you can’t integrate Keystep pro into your iPad!? I didn’t know , thanks for telling me . What about the Keystep 37? I may just end up getting the Launchkey then. DARN it!!!Again, thanks for the synopsis there .

I think GLacey meant that there is now iOS software to manage deeper settings of the controller like CC messages etc. There is no reason why the controller would not work unless I’m mistaken. @GLacey whats your take?

• edited April 2021

@wawelt said:

@Telstar5 said:

I think GLacey meant that there is now iOS software to manage deeper settings of the controller like CC messages etc. There is no reason why the controller would not work unless I’m mistaken. @GLacey whats your take?

Exactly! You can use KS Pro with iPad and the music apps no problem, furthermore you can adjust most of the deeper parameters as well directly in the onboard menu. What you can’t do for example is to copy your songs from KS Pro’s internal storage to your iPad. You can store max 16 songs in the internal storage, so if the 16 slots for songs are occupied and you want to create and store new song(s) you need to delete or move some of the older ones to your computer with Arturia’s device manager software which is available only for PC or Mac, but not for iOS unfortunately.
    Since I have an iPad only workflow it’s a bit inconvenient to connect my win10 laptop each time when the 16 slots get full or I want to recall some older songs. Anyway, I can live with it.

As to the Keystep 37 vs KS Pro question they are not even in same league. KS Pro is much more capable and at least double priced.
    One thing that might be important, iPad can’t bus power the KS Pro, so you have to use it’s external power supply and on the top you need the powered camera connection kit with the charger connected as well.

• Does anyone use an Arturia minilab with iOS? Just wanted to check you can assign all the knobs etc to ccs and don’t need a pc. And that it runs off the iPad bus power

• edited April 2021

For $400 or less, you could get a second iPad and connect the two with Bluetooth. Unless working with hardware and modular, Keystep Pro features are equivalent of MidiSteps and Rozeta XoX. Most AU sequencers provide a lot more functionality. Plus no need for usb hubs, cables, etc.

• @wingwizard said:
    Does anyone use an Arturia minilab with iOS? Just wanted to check you can assign all the knobs etc to ccs and don’t need a pc. And that it runs off the iPad bus power

I have a minilab and can confirm it can be powered with the CCK dongle. My iPad Air 4 can power it by itself some times.

As to mapping, all the knobs and pads can be configured with the same software that runs only on computers, but then you can map those with the midi learn function of your daw of choice. It holds 6 different configurations plus one for Arturia’s Analog Lab and one for Ableton on the laptop (you get a lite version for both). Pads can send notes or CCs, and these can be toggle or gate, but again you need the computer to change them each time.

All the encoders can be set as regular 0-127 pots, or three flavors of relative, but its up to the daw to recognize those. Only Drambo (and I think GR16 but I haven’t tried) recognize the relative mode, which is the only way to use the controller with more than one app without values jumping all over. I got mine on a discount and I think it’s great value, but I wish more apps would do the relative thing.

I now have a microfreak and I enjoy onboard sequencer so much that I can see how the Keystep could find its way into my set one day.

• @dvi said:

@wingwizard said:
    Does anyone use an Arturia minilab with iOS? Just wanted to check you can assign all the knobs etc to ccs and don’t need a pc. And that it runs off the iPad bus power

I have a minilab and can confirm it can be powered with the CCK dongle. My iPad Air 4 can power it by itself some times.

As to mapping, all the knobs and pads can be configured with the same software that runs only on computers, but then you can map those with the midi learn function of your daw of choice. It holds 6 different configurations plus one for Arturia’s Analog Lab and one for Ableton on the laptop (you get a lite version for both). Pads can send notes or CCs, and these can be toggle or gate, but again you need the computer to change them each time.

All the encoders can be set as regular 0-127 pots, or three flavors of relative, but its up to the daw to recognize those. Only Drambo (and I think GR16 but I haven’t tried) recognize the relative mode, which is the only way to use the controller with more than one app without values jumping all over. I got mine on a discount and I think it’s great value, but I wish more apps would do the relative thing.

I now have a microfreak and I enjoy onboard sequencer so much that I can see how the Keystep could find its way into my set one day.

Ah thanks for this. That’s a shame I’m iPad only these days. I wonder if theres any midi controller with knobs etc that’s a better choice, has an Ipad app. Idudnt realise I had to configure on pc, thought I could just plug in set up ccs or midi learn all on iPad

• @wingwizard said:

@dvi said:

@wingwizard said:

Ah thanks for this. That’s a shame I’m iPad only these days. I wonder if theres any midi controller with knobs etc that’s a better choice, has an Ipad app. Idudnt realise I had to configure on pc, thought I could just plug in set up ccs or midi learn all on iPad

I don’t know of any controllers that can be configured from the iPad. It’s definitely a big fail from arturia not to have an alternative. To be clear, you can midi learn on iPad out of the box, only if you need to change the specific behaviour of some of the elements for a relatively complex setup you’ll have to plug it into the computer.

• You don't need a computer to set CC numbers on the KeyStep 37, you can do it from the device. You only need the editor for some more advanced setups like setting the min-max values and MIDI channels for each knob.

• I love using my Beatstep Pro with Drambo!

• Thanks all and especially @GLacey : I don’t have a computer and di t really want one so I don’t see how I could ever store my songs once the 16 slots are used up . Seems like a deal breaker . I should probably start looking at the Keystep

• Just to mention, I can configure everything on my Nektar LX61+ using just the keyboard itself, and the possibilities are pretty extensive. There is no configuration program. Not sure how unique that is, but it is pretty convenient. Of course, it's just a MIDI controller, no sequencer, etc.

• @Telstar5 said:
    Thanks all and especially @GLacey : I don’t have a computer and di t really want one so I don’t see how I could ever store my songs once the 16 slots are used up . Seems like a deal breaker . I should probably start looking at the Keystep

I bought KS Pro (I got it from my wife for xmas to be more precise) because I wanted an external sequencer to put together quick ideas. KS Pro does this job very well.
    But if you don’t feel the need of an external sequencer you’ll be satisfied with KS37, it’s a great keyboard. I have the KS32.

What functions are you looking for in an external keyboard?

• I got a keystep 37 a couple weeks ago and it’s been great. I wish it could receive midi on multiple channels but it’s been perfect with Drambo. 16 knobs per channel gives me a ton of control paired with my nk2 and the arp and sequencer is nice

• edited July 2021

Just scored a KSP for $299 USD at Guitar Center (it was priced to move i guess) and am really impressed with this sequencer. So far i have it working with Drambo and it’s definitely feeling like a good fit.

I love that it all runs over USB when connected to the iPad Pro with power to it via my trusty Kingston Nucleum HUB.

This keyboard is also built like a tank. Love the weight of it and feel and travel of the keys.

• edited July 2021

@auxmux said:
    For $400 or less, you could get a second iPad and connect the two with Bluetooth. Unless working with hardware and modular, Keystep Pro features are equivalent of MidiSteps and Rozeta XoX. Most AU sequencers provide a lot more functionality. Plus no need for usb hubs, cables, etc.

That's a good idea.
    A Keystep 37, an iPad Mini with Genome MIDI (excellent for using it with a keyboard for entering notes) on the left and the main iPad on the right. Sequences from Genome can either be used live or be exported as MIDI files and moved to the big iPad over AirDrop so you can have all on one device eventually, without much fiddling around. You also have the choice to export a single pattern, a track with all patterns or the whole song as a multitrack MIDI.

• @echoopera said:
    Just scored a KSP for $299 USD at Guitar Center (it was priced to move i guess) and am really impressed with this sequencer. So far i have it working with Drambo and it’s definitely feeling like a good fit.

I love that it all runs over USB when connected to the iPad Pro with power to it via my trusty Kingston Nucleum HUB.

This keyboard is also built like a tank. Love the weight of it and feel and travel of the keys.

Have had the KSP pro since it’s release and surprised you like the feel of the keybed, it’s probably my second biggest issue with it. The velocity and (especially) aftertouch response feels super inconsistent to me, regardless of the selected response in settings.

My biggest issue with the KSP is Arturia themselves. It’s taken well over a year to get some of the most basic bugs ironed out, they use their early adopters as beta testers but don’t actually listen or implement any of the feedback. Honestly I kinda find it hard to recommend the KSP but even with its bugs and questionable design, it’s cheap for the amount of connectivity you get, key word being cheap. If you don’t use any hardware gear that you want to sequence, there a definitely much higher quality midi keyboards/sequencers about.

• edited July 2021

Well not much to complain about so far. The price was perfect and withthe 2.0 update seems like a lot was fixed.

I have a few pieces of Arturia hardware and Software and have been happy with their support and updates so I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Expect more from the KSP+Drambo from me soon. 😉