Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Any solution to using USB MIDI + wired headphones on a new Pro?

Is there a third party “double adapter” that would allow me to do both at the same time?

Otherwise I’m left hunting interfaces that include MIDI. I tried the Presonus one that does include a MIDI jack, but it sounds pretty crappy, distorts when it barely hits yellow, and can’t monitor in stereo, only a mono sum. The Focusrite does stereo monitoring but doesn’t have MIDI.

Any suggestions for an interface that does audio-MIDI, or a simpler solution to this problem?

Appreciate it, Seems I’ve become a tech dinosaur.

Comments

• If you have access to USB 2.0, you can use a USB DAC (huge variety available) for the phones. Then you just need a 5-pin MIDI to USB adapter. I know I've seen audio interfaces including 5-pin MIDI, but maybe higher priced.

• Hi @oat_phipps I was in the same dilemna. I am using a new iPad Pro so this is for USB-C. I have managed to use a cheap non-powered USB-C hub (bought from Kmart in Australia), a USB-C to USB-A adapter and the USB-C to headphone adapter and have managed to get headphones and USB-Midi to work! Funnily enough, when I tried this with my TP-Link powered hub it would only work when power was switched on, however the little cheap hub is non-powered. I'm happy though as I can be a little more portable.

• I use a Kingston Nucleum USB C Hub and then plug a simple usb-c to headphone adaptor into that.

• @stown said:
    I use a Kingston Nucleum USB C Hub and then plug a simple usb-c to headphone adaptor into that.

Same:

• There are a few USB C hubs that have headphone outs, but because most assume that you have a headphone jack on your device, the headphone-capable ones all seem to be made for the iPad Pro.

I went for one of these because I didn’t want a bunch of different things plugged together, just a single unit, so I got a cheap one for my Pro that clipped to the side of the device, but it broke all too easily — it’s almost impossible to plug or unplug cables into the thing without risk of damage.

I’ve learned my lesson, and have just ordered this thing: https://www.hypershop.com/products/hyperdrive-power-9-in-1-usb-c-hub-for-mac-pc-android-usb-c-devices

Music-wise, my use case is iPad + controller keyboard + headphones for maximum mobility, and obviously it comes in handy for a bunch of other things I do on a regular basis (reading SD card from camera, etc.).

@oat_phipps I did take @LinearLineman’s advice and also got the Focusrite 4i4, which does all the things — 9-pin MIDI, loopback, etc. — in still quite a small package, but I’m not planning on taking it with me into the wild unless absolutely necessary.

• With my old lightning connector cck i use a novation audio hub (discontinued now, but ebay beckons) which inputs L n R audio and has 3 USB midi inputs. It monitors the audio in n out. Hope it will work with usb-c if/when get one. If u want more audio inputs use a mixer first, course u wont get more than one track of sound that way.

• @jebni , so I got a cheap one for my Pro that clipped to the side of the device, but it broke all too easily — it’s almost impossible to plug or unplug cables into the thing without risk of damage

I’ve “burned” 3 iPad pros. I believe it was because of the usb hub, the kind that attaches to the side. Wasn’t cheap, though, a Satechi. But I think they’re dangerous, they “loose contact” easily and I believe they cause some kind of “confusion” that causes a shortcut or something…

• @tahiche said:

@jebni , so I got a cheap one for my Pro that clipped to the side of the device, but it broke all too easily — it’s almost impossible to plug or unplug cables into the thing without risk of damage

I’ve “burned” 3 iPad pros. I believe it was because of the usb hub, the kind that attaches to the side. Wasn’t cheap, though, a Satechi. But I think they’re dangerous, they “loose contact” easily and I believe they cause some kind of “confusion” that causes a shortcut or something…

Yeah, I bent mine while fiddling with a port, and the next time I went to plug it in I SAW A FUCKING SPARK. In the bin.

• @jebni got to confess I’m jealous of your extra USB port (over nucleum’s 2 USB ports). Once I hook up my zoom interface I only have 1 USB port left…. Would prefer 4 if possible…. For zoom interface, sensel morph, nektar controller, and Kong nanocontrol. Anyone know if I can plug a usb hub into the nucleum?

• Another vote for the nucleum here

• edited July 2021

I got this Belkin usb 2 add on for my nucleum, works well and doesn’t block any ports. It was part of a bigger seven port hub. I’ll add a link here later.

• Oh fantastic! Looking forward to that link. Thanks! Can’t wait to get all of my usb midi controllers hooked up 😀

• edited July 2021

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-2-N-1-USB-2-0-7-Port/dp/B000XPHWMQ

I bought this for exactly this purpose of pairing with the Nucleum, relatively elegant... and I’m sure I’ll find a use for the main base station part at some point.

Having posted this, I realise I got as far as establishing it works and being pleased, but then it’s been a while since I’ve had it in action, so I’m questioning myself how much it can power? I’ll try it again shortly with a couple of controllers (launchpad x and midi fighter twister) and confirm or not if it definitely works - I’m pretty sure this must be what I tried before, with audio interface on the Nucleum’s other USB port.

EDIT: @stown All working, no external power required, 2 controllers into Belkin ‘add on’ and audio interface into nucleum. This into iPad Pro 4th gen 12.9.

• I use this on on my iPad Pro M1 12.9. All you need is there :

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/dp/B082KN5W9D

• I use this guy because it has a long lead so I can keep all my cables out of the way and not hanging off the side
    https://www.amazon.com.au/LENTION-Multiport-Charging-Compatible-Thunderbolt/dp/B07SH76WQK

• I used to use a desktop USB-C dock thingy, with USB and SD ports. It also provided power. I left it hooked up to all my boxes, on my desk, so I could just connect the iPad and get going.

Downside—mains power required, no potability.
    Upside—powered, always ready to roll.

Now I use a Mac for music stuff, with the iPad as a source. For that I use an iConnectAudio4+. Also great for audio+midi