Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song Of The Month Club - April 2021

Comments

• @orchardman said:
    More heavy stuff from us this month. All the instrumentation apart from the strings were done in Garageband on the iPad. Vocals, strings arrangement, mixing and mastering done in Logic on the Mac. I dug out some old apps that I haven't used for years for the organ sound, Magellan and bs16-i. Turn it up loud and keep on rocking.

I agree with what the others have said. It’s a good song, good backing and also agree that the vocal would benefit from sitting in the mix a little more — maybe double up some parts to give them a bit more depth?

It can sound almost a little disconnected from the rest of the mix but shouldn’t take much tweaking to make it sound more as if everybody is playing in the same space. :-)

• @Kitusai said:
    Still with CAAt Claw this month from our new album "Kréaturrs !"

Photos by Isabelle Bagdassarian, video by Patrick Guillot

Translation try:

Machinus vivae

The rootlets get in the way
    Slip between the interstices
    Daring propellers
    Intercept the quivering cogs
    Tenderly
    They wind up
    Patiently
    They twist and turn
    Loosen the silica components

Shake the algorithms
    0110 to the four seasons
    Synchronise the rhythms
    in unison
    Two worlds that make a pact
    To the four seasons 0110

0110 to the four seasons

At the heart of the machine
    new shoots express themselves
    To the rhythm of the beats
    filaments take root

0110 to the four seasons

A beautiful and original piece! I love the clarity in your sound. Everything sounds so organic and vibrant! A propos 'organic' ... When I understand it right the lyrics are playing somehow with that ambivalence between organic and artificial, or?

• Hey, everyone. I know that I haven't posted here in a while, but I felt that I really should. I made this track last April rather quickly after experimenting with the Roland Cloud free trial period. The sounds you can create with those VSTs are truly astounding and while I'm certain most of the presets heard on the Roland D-50, for example, have been overused and ubiquitous, I personally never was lucky enough to have grown up listening to the music it was so popular in. All of this said, I felt pure excitement trying to make something with the Juno-106, JX-8P and others.
    One thing I realized, however, is that while all of those sounds I was able to play were so beautiful and unique, it was the mixing, editing, and producing aspect that truthfully made any of it work.
    I'm certain I've gone on for too long talking about all of this. I will try to listen and provide feedback to as many tracks as I can.

• @FunkMachine said:

Hey, everyone. I know that I haven't posted here in a while, but I felt that I really should. I made this track last April rather quickly after experimenting with the Roland Cloud free trial period. The sounds you can create with those VSTs are truly astounding and while I'm certain most of the presets heard on the Roland D-50, for example, have been overused and ubiquitous, I personally never was lucky enough to have grown up listening to the music it was so popular in. All of this said, I felt pure excitement trying to make something with the Juno-106, JX-8P and others.
    One thing I realized, however, is that while all of those sounds I was able to play were so beautiful and unique, it was the mixing, editing, and producing aspect that truthfully made any of it work.
    I'm certain I've gone on for too long talking about all of this. I will try to listen and provide feedback to as many tracks as I can.

Very chimey track that's full of sunshine. Uplifting vibe, pretty melodies and ear-pleasing sound-design.

It might be nice to have a second "movement" for some variety, but otherwise it's a lovely breezy to track to listen to on a spring day :)

• @FunkMachine said:

Hey, everyone. I know that I haven't posted here in a while, but I felt that I really should. I made this track last April rather quickly after experimenting with the Roland Cloud free trial period. The sounds you can create with those VSTs are truly astounding and while I'm certain most of the presets heard on the Roland D-50, for example, have been overused and ubiquitous, I personally never was lucky enough to have grown up listening to the music it was so popular in. All of this said, I felt pure excitement trying to make something with the Juno-106, JX-8P and others.

Really enjoyed this. I edit and score short films and movies, could see me using something like this. Great job.

• Hey guys I usually make synthwave inspired electronica lately. However I used to rap pretty much my whole life. I recently created this new rap song, all on the iPad. Made the instrumental in BM3, tracked the vocals in cubasis. My cousin put his part using logic. Made the video in lumafusion.

• @richardyot
    As I remember, you really have a great feel for atmospheric but very detailed grooves. The evolving pads that seem to have differences in every bar make it very interesting and keeps me wondering. But all of that said, it still all fits together and stays on point. The vocal mixing/editing is very good.

• @FunkMachine said:
    @richardyot
    As I remember, you really have a great feel for atmospheric but very detailed grooves. The evolving pads that seem to have differences in every bar make it very interesting and keeps me wondering. But all of that said, it still all fits together and stays on point. The vocal mixing/editing is very good.

Thanks for the kind review :)

• @DavidEnglish
    A very simple/reserved intro but still conveys plenty of expression through the changing tones and levels of the pad sounds. The timbre of the intro pads is a cool layered design with what sounds like an aliasing low-passed wave blended with the sound one would get from rubbing their finger along a wine glass to create that resonant frequency. The inharmonious or slight modulation in tuning between each note that forms a type of phase cancellation makes for a very interesting but mild evolving tremolo and vibrato effect. I've never really experimented or tried doing something like this atmospheric soundtrack-style nor have I really listened to it before, but I think it's very cohesive and interesting all the way through.

• @FunkMachine said:

Nice sounds! Nice 80ies Vibe! Love that bassline, but could be even a bit more 'bassey' imo.

• edited April 2021

@Weareroses said:
    Hey guys I usually make synthwave inspired electronica lately. However I used to rap pretty much my whole life. I recently created this new rap song, all on the iPad. Made the instrumental in BM3, tracked the vocals in cubasis. My cousin put his part using logic. Made the video in lumafusion.

Sounds professional! Cool track! Cool rapping! But as I am not a native english speaker, I am always grateful for some Lyrics (in the spoiler ) to understand all! The chorus is very cool with those detuned trumpets and your cousins vocals sound great. All in all very good sounds and also the snippets of distorted or somehow glitchy vox are nice touchs! Great stuff! And of course bonus points for the dog video ;-)

• @uglyskratch said:

@Weareroses said:
    Hey guys I usually make synthwave inspired electronica lately. However I used to rap pretty much my whole life. I recently created this new rap song, all on the iPad. Made the instrumental in BM3, tracked the vocals in cubasis. My cousin put his part using logic. Made the video in lumafusion.

Sounds professional! Cool track! Cool rapping! But as I am not a native english speaker, I am always grateful for some Lyrics (in the spoiler ) to understand all! The chorus is very cool with those detuned trumpets and your cousins vocals sound great. All in all very good sounds and also the snippets of distorted or somehow glitchy vox are nice touchs! Great stuff! And of course bonus points for the dog video ;-)

Thanks for listening! I appreciate the thorough feedback, glad you enjoyed it.

• @klownshed
    Very cool and creative use of foley and found sounds mixed with heavily processed drums like DMX rimshot in the intro. The suspense you build with the abrupt stops with the 808 kick is quite good and really hits hard for when it all comes in. The 303 squelchy fit in very well. The string-like synth pads worked but at times clashed with other rhythmic elements and sounds. Sound design is great.

• @orchardman
    Organ layered with the synth keys makes for a really cool and almost gothic style. I think that the timing could be a bit tighter with the drums, bass, and some of the guitar so it can greater a more cohesive and thicker sound. Despite that, the playing is really solid and never clashes with each other and is well written/improvised. The vocals are really cool and make the song for me. My only recommendation really would be to perhaps send more of the tracks to a single reverb AUX to sound more like the band and singer are together recording and blending that with the other reverbs. Good job

• @uglyskratch
    Very risky with those dissonant tones at the beginning but it works. A lot of the resampled and retuned sounds definitely fit with this gritty and almost dubstep-ish theme. The guitar is freaking great. While I think they could have been tuned and timed to be a bit more melodic, the vocal chops are such a cool idea. I think you could have incorporated the wobble bass (Miami gadget if I'm not mistaken) heard near the beginning into more sections with the same tone to make the whole song a bit more cohesive. But it's all very different and new to my ears, and I think you really have formed a new style. So really cool track and I also think you could bring up the low end as well;)

• @richardyot said:
    My entry for the month, lyrics in the spoiler:

This is sooo good - is reminding me of DIIV

@DavidEnglish said:
    This is an older one. It was done while I was waiting for a flight at the LaGuardia Airport in New York. I used the Alchemy app to create the music and Auria Pro to record it.

It’s titled Music from LaGuardia.

sooo chill man, nice textures smoother than silk and great visual

@klownshed said:
    Here’s one I made mainly on my iPhone, playing with arrangement ideas in BlocsWave before finally arranging it in NS2, using Slate to trigger the sample loops.

Once I was more or less happy with it I exported the stems to Logic to finish it off and add the kitchen sink to the mix.

Not my best work but I’m fairly pleased to get anything ‘finished’ as it’s been pretty tough to find a minute to myself this past year!!

I enjoyed making it and that’s good enough for me at the moment :-)

perky! nice. actually I love the dark vibe you captured that builds as it goes on

@orchardman said:
    More heavy stuff from us this month. All the instrumentation apart from the strings were done in Garageband on the iPad. Vocals, strings arrangement, mixing and mastering done in Logic on the Mac. I dug out some old apps that I haven't used for years for the organ sound, Magellan and bs16-i. Turn it up loud and keep on rocking.

a bit like richard yot's style this one.. good choice of chord progressions!

@uglyskratch said:
    Hi everyone! Haven’t made music for a year because I was busy building myself a yurt. So since January I am living in it and found time again to create music.

maybe the best one this month - love speech overdub is that Margrate thatcher?

@Kitusai said:
    Still with CAAt Claw this month from our new album "Kréaturrs !"

Photos by Isabelle Bagdassarian, video by Patrick Guillot

cool ballerina music box vibe going on here, I like - this is Margrate thatcher talking French no? :smiley:

@FunkMachine said:

pro pop production ! really good work - you have good skillzzz man

@Weareroses said:

thats a cute dawgy :p good rapping makes me wanna have a go.. but I would be shit! quality is especial impressive for 100% done on ipad

• ok here is mine it quite experimental- hope you like..

• Here’s my entry for this month. I hope you enjoy it!

• @FunkMachine said:
    @uglyskratch
    Very risky with those dissonant tones at the beginning but it works. A lot of the resampled and retuned sounds definitely fit with this gritty and almost dubstep-ish theme. The guitar is freaking great. While I think they could have been tuned and timed to be a bit more melodic, the vocal chops are such a cool idea. I think you could have incorporated the wobble bass (Miami gadget if I'm not mistaken) heard near the beginning into more sections with the same tone to make the whole song a bit more cohesive. But it's all very different and new to my ears, and I think you really have formed a new style. So really cool track and I also think you could bring up the low end as well;)

Thanks for the listen and the detailed feedback. Really appreciate it! And yeah, you heard right, it was Miami Gadget which I used. Was very happy to finally have found some use for it, always had neglected it, but for this track it did an amazing job and it is a really fine tool!

@cargosofdoom said:
    maybe the best one this month - love speech overdub is that Margrate thatcher?

Haha :-P Almost! Just maybe the other end of the line: Greta Thunberg ;-)

@cargosofdoom said:
    ok here is mine it quite experimental- hope you like..

Interesting experimental soundscape inferno... Could be some Pink Floyd Intro. That said I miss the resolution to all that tension that you build up. But as some Intro or for some cinematic, atmospheric use it works good.
    Is it Margret Thatcher freaking out in the bell tower in the second half? ;-)

@Hursoom said:
    Here’s my entry for this month. I hope you enjoy it!

Beautiful piece of music! Such a trip! Wow, nice! Reminds me on some Krautrock which I listen sometimes. The drums and the tablas in the beginning are sounding really good! Which Apps or Instruments did you use for making this track?

• @uglyskratch Happy you liked it😊. Moog model 15, animoog, retro piano, ifretless bass . A few effects. Jam Maestro for Midi, drums and tabla.AUM as a host.

• @richardyot
    Darkly contemplative? I love the sax riff that appears out of nowhere. Then it comes back later for an encore. Nice one!

@klownshed
    I really like the busy opening. Feels like a stroll through the one of the electronics shops in the Akihabara district of Tokyo. It progresses well without giving up its energy.

@orchardman
    Cool opening with the new darker and heavier tone. The voice seems to sit better in the instrumental bed than in previous songs. All the elements are especially clear and distinct.

@uglyskratch
    Powerful combination of an urgent, pleading voice and a musical framework that seems to both emphasize and drive those words forward.

@Kitusai
    Calming and contemplative opening. I really like how the music verges away from the harmonious words and music into a more shrill, dissonant tone. Then it returns to calm, only to venture off again.

@FunkMachine
    Really like having the melody play with a slightly ominous counter-melody in the background, then having it all bust wide open into a fuller and firmer direction. Almost like a fake-out. A good musical explanation of what we’ve been going through for the last year, as well the potential relief of having it end.

@Weareroses
    Unexpected visuals for a hip-hop song. Yet it works.

@cargosofdoom
    Paints a powerful soundscape with a great sense of depth. That’s due in part to the various elements moving across the stereo field.

@Hursoom
    I like this one a lot. It has the feel of an improvisation, but also seems deliberately layered with gentle complexities that blend and collide. Reminds me of Terry Riley in that regard.

• @cargosofdoom said:
    ok here is mine it quite experimental- hope you like..

Some nice textures and movement. I'm imagining the film that this is a soundtrack to: an abandoned spaceship drifting in space, a pulsing star in the background, a broken distress beacon - what happened here? Wait, something is moving in the hold...

• @DavidEnglish Happy you liked it 😊. I composed it on an IPad Air, so I had to restrict my uses of multiple instances of synths. This restriction, combined with many happy accidents might have led to that feel. Going to listen to Terry Riley now.

• @Hursoom said:
    Going to listen to Terry Riley now.

Be sure and check out A Rainbow in Curved Air, which was released back in 1969.

According to Wikipedia, it "consists of Riley's overdubbed improvisations on several keyboard and percussion instruments, including electric organ, electric harpsichord, dumbec, and tambourine."

• edited April 2021

Here's my latest. Took about three weeks to compose and over a month to shoot. A real pain in the *$$ from a technical perspective. I meant for the steel parts to be a string section, maybe with an oboe, but opted for eBowed steel instead as I don't play bowed strings or wind instruments.

I bought an arsenal of new apps, learned a ton about mixing and mastering but would love to know where I could improve.

Also:

@richardyot - Great groove and bass lines. I love the resonant (synth?) part around 20-30 seconds in and wanted to hear more of it. It seems to me that the vocals are sitting a little too far back in the mix.

@DavidEnglish - Nice mellow music to work to (I did just that). I have no idea how to compose something like this.

@klownshed - until the beat came in, it was an 80's slasher soundtrack. My favorite part is the strings at about 1:45.

@orchardman - Great, all around. What accent does the singer have? Reminds me of Klaus from The Scorpions.

I'll get to the rest of these in the next few days:

• @uglyskratch - Nice environmental disaster theme. Pretty cool guitar sounds later in the track. Reminds me of Kashmir.

@Kitusai - Kalimba, mechanical sounds and french vocals. I have no idea what this is about but I dig it. Nice clarity in the arrangement and mix.

@FunkMachine - I like the melody but I don't think that synth sound is good enough to carry the tune. It's very subjective and personal, of course, but I just wasn't taken in by that sound and it didn't really vary at all throughout the tune. It's possible/probable that I just don't get it and this you were aiming for a cheap 80's synth vibe.

@Weareroses - I'm not an expert on rap, but I could have heard this anywhere and thought it's pro-level. I love the lonely dog video.

• @Sabicas said:
    Here's my latest. Took about three weeks to compose and over a month to shoot. A real pain in the *$$ from a technical perspective. I meant for the steel parts to be a string section, maybe with an oboe, but opted for eBowed steel instead as I don't play bowed or wind instruments.

I bought an arsenal of new apps, learned a ton about mixing and mastering but would love to know where I could improve.

Excellent 👍🔥🔥🔥

You nailed the call-and-response this time, the melodies have room to breathe and this works really well. Also I actually really like the spooky sound of the pedal steel with the E-bow, it has a really nice otherworldly feel to it and is more interesting than strings would have been I think.

The performances are terrific, and it's very enjoyable to listen to. And the mix is great, everything sits well.

• @richardyot said:

@Sabicas said:
    Here's my latest. Took about three weeks to compose and over a month to shoot. A real pain in the *$$ from a technical perspective. I meant for the steel parts to be a string section, maybe with an oboe, but opted for eBowed steel instead as I don't play bowed or wind instruments.

Excellent 👍🔥🔥🔥

You nailed the call-and-response this time, the melodies have room to breathe and this works really well. Also I actually really like the spooky sound of the pedal steel with the E-bow, it has a really nice otherworldly feel to it and is more interesting than strings would have been I think.

The performances are terrific, and it's very enjoyable to listen to. And the mix is great, everything sits well.

Thanks! The eBow sounds a bit more "sci-fi" than I was going for, and is definitely less heard than a string section. I think it was the right choice to just roll with it.

I probably should have posted this in next month's thread as it looks like this thread is dead, yes? Since no one but you has seen it, maybe I should withdraw it?

• @FunkMachine said:

Nice upbeat sound although I did find the main bell synth sound a little bit grating after a while.

• @Weareroses said:

I’ve never been a big fan of rap but I really enjoyed this. Professional sounding production, a great hook and a cute video.