Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Beatcutter Released! Detailed walkthrough vid (Winners announced)

Comments

• @gusgranite said:

@skiphunt said:

@michael_m said:

@skiphunt said:

@telecharge said:

@skiphunt said:
    Wow 😳 just wow. Going from being excited to learn I won an app code on Easter 🐣 morning from one of my all-time favorite 🤩 developers... on one of my favorite video bloggers who I follow and comment on regularly... to being falsely accused of all sorts of things, to being told that my winning code might be given away, to some dingus stepping up to prematurely claim it.

Logging on to this forum isn’t something I do every day anymore. And I’m enjoying Easter Sunday with my wife. I’m stunned where one of my favorite video bloggers went with this. I only logged in after getting the email notification from YouTube.

From being thrilled 😁 to ultimately saddened :(

Happy Easter 🐰

I hope the Easter Bunny brings you a sense of humor, or at least something to untwist your knickers.

Oh! So the accusations that I must be the one giving Gavinski thumbs down 👎 on his videos while also being some of my fav vid bloggers and intentionally “ignoring” him while ALSO commenting regularly... was just a “joke”?

Ah, got it. Really funny.

Dude, chill out. Do what you suggested and have a happy Easter.

Yep. It was a mistake stopping by. Only did so after the win notification. Back to enjoying the day .

Hopefully I’ll get my winning code at some point. Otherwise, thrilled that Igor had finally launched this app.

I personally love unlocking the mysteries of his genius apps and their interfaces.

Can’t wait to dig in!

You can pay it forward and pledge an app if you want! It might make you feel better: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/44368/claim-a-free-app-make-a-pledge-14-available-54-claimed#latest

You too dude? Disappointing.

• Ok, just to address skiphunts claims here. I didn’t go anywhere but the facts. Audiobus told me you were ignoring me. Here’s the screenshot. Now it is mysteriously working but no worries!
    About giving away a code, I give away codes of anyone who doesn’t claim after a few days.so that would have been nothing personal. Even if you had ignored me, I found it a bit surprising but wouldn’t have taken it too personally. The internet is the internet, who knows, could have somehow unintentionally offended you.
    The thumbs down thing, as mentioned was clearly a joke. Everyone else here can see that clearly. Calm down buddy and no hard feelings. I’ve emailed you your code, have fun.

There is the screenshot from earlier. You can w]see why it would have shocked me a little bit it was no biggie. Drama over, have a great Easter.

• Anyway folks, it’s been fun but let’s just drop this now as there is no point ruffling feathers any more than necessary, so please refrain from teasing poor skip, especially on an Easter Sunday. Seems like some genuine weird glitch in the forum or something. No biggie, no biggie. Peace and love to all mankind etc etc!

• @Gavinski said:
    Anyway folks, it’s been fun but let’s just drop this now as there is no point ruffling feathers any more than necessary, so please refrain from teasing poor skip, especially on an Easter Sunday. Seems like some genuine weird glitch in the forum or something. No biggie, no biggie. Peace and love to all mankind etc etc!

“poor skip”? Ok dude. Whatever. Thx to you and Igor for the code. peace out

• Ok, no humour allowed clearly. Have a good one man, let’s end this here

• @Gavinski said:
    Ok, no humour allowed clearly. Have a good one man, let’s end this here

Oh, I see. ridicule=humor. Real funny. Got it. Already checking out. Later dude.

• @Gavinski said:

@drcongo said:
    I can’t get any sound to come out of it. Dropped it in an FX slot on NS2 and hit random many times.

You probably don’t have the inputs set up right. Set all the input buses to Ch 1, then go to template, change the 1st position to ‘x’ then try pressing randomise. You will need to watch my video and/or read the manual, this app is a bit complicated to even get the basics, but once u have those you can randomise til your heart’s content

That did it, thanks @Gavinski. I’d actually watched your video twice and still hadn’t worked it out.

• Fucking hell. What on earth happened here?

• Don’t ask

I’m glad you worked the channel thing out though 😝

@drcongo said:
    Fucking hell. What on earth happened here?

• Has anyone described a possible problem with the standalone version: If you minimize and go to a different app and come back, the START button in main is blinking and the sequencer is no longer running. Pressing START again (to stop) and then pressing it again to START doesn't change the condition.

• @motmeister said:
    Has anyone described a possible problem with the standalone version: If you minimize and go to a different app and come back, the START button in main is blinking and the sequencer is no longer running. Pressing START again (to stop) and then pressing it again to START doesn't change the condition.

Will pass that on to igor

• Please @Gavinski could pass on to a request for Igor to allow the ability to import and share templates would be amazing and would open doors for others that remain closed. I have tried to visualy copy template numbers but having poor eyesight and dyslexia its just about impossible. Cheers

• OK sure that's a good idea

• Though all it needs is to share presets via aum preset menu really, no?

• Also, what templates work well is going to depend a lot on source audio files / channels. What use cases are you thinking of @Toastedghost?

I feel you on the eyes thing though. Igor has already said he Eil make the template easier to read. I complained about that already. The red colour in particular is lacking in contrast and it is definitely a strain on the eyes. I am not a fan of how the template section was done, that's for sure.

• @Toastedghost said:
    Please @Gavinski could pass on to a request for Igor to allow the ability to import and share templates would be amazing and would open doors for others that remain closed. I have tried to visualy copy template numbers but having poor eyesight and dyslexia its just about impossible. Cheers

'in a future update (though not the first one which is imminent)'

• Can anyone explain, in musical terms, what 'shift' and 'step' do in the Bitmasking section?
    @celtic_elk @MarkH

• @Gavinski said:
    Can anyone explain, in musical terms, what 'shift' and 'step' do in the Bitmasking section?
    @celtic_elk @MarkH

Not a clue. This is the section of the app that’s most puzzling to me. I have a rough understanding that this involves some sort of computational logic component using AND/OR with a specific value (dialed in by one of the sliders) against the individual sampled bits, but I’m not too confident in that, and I have no real grasp of how that results in the sort of sounds that come out.

• edited April 2021

@Gavinski said:
    Can anyone explain, in musical terms, what 'shift' and 'step' do in the Bitmasking section?
    @celtic_elk @MarkH

Well I can have a go. It's not really 'musical' at all. As far as I can tell, the bit masking works like it does in FieldScaper and SoundScaper. This means that Igor has created a virtual model of the memory in which a sound sample is stored. (In those other two apps it is literally a model of a 1 megabyte 8-bit memory chip.) When the sample is retrieved for playback, it will be by reading data from a series of consecutive addresses (in the virtual memory model), the number depending on how long the sample is. The 'address mask' is an overlay that is combined with the address from which each data value is read - it will effectively knock out bits from the address, substituting a 1 or 0 (in SoundScaper and FieldScaper you could choose which). This means it will retrieve data from the wrong place, with the error being systematic in some way. Generally it results in glitch effects or stutters.

So. The 'shift' parameter moves that interference bit mask right or left, changing the specifics of the interference. You can animate it, so the glitching changes over time. It looks like the 'step' parameter does the same thing but it applies the interference to a different cell. The definition isn't very clear, so it would take some experimentation.

I hope I have answered the right question :neutral:

• @MarkH said:

@Gavinski said:
    @celtic_elk @MarkH

Well I can have a go. It's not really 'musical' at all. As far as I can tell, the bit masking works like it does in FieldScaper and SoundScaper. This means that Igor has created a virtual model of the memory in which a sound sample is stored. (In those other two apps it is literally a model of a 1 megabyte 8-bit memory chip.) When the sample is retrieved for playback, it will be by reading data from a series of consecutive addresses (in the virtual memory model), the number depending on how long the sample is. The 'address mask' is an overlay that is combined with the address from which each data value is read - it will effectively knock out bits from the address, substituting a 1 or 0 (in SoundScaper and FieldScaper you could choose which). This means it will retrieve data from the wrong place, with the error being systematic in some way. Generally it results in glitch effects or stutters.

So. The 'shift' parameter moves that interference bit mask right or left, changing the specifics of the interference. You can animate it, so the glitching changes over time. It looks like the 'step' parameter does the same thing but it applies the interference to a different cell. The definition isn't very clear, so it would take some experimentation.

I hope I have answered the right question :neutral:

Very very useful! Thank you Mark. And glad to hear that @celtic_elk was just as much in the dark as me. I did ask Igor but the explanation was not too clear to me, your explanation rocks Mark

• @Gavinski said:
    @celtic_elk @MarkH

It simulates the read-out from a microprocessor. So when your audio is 16 bit you have 16 addresses. If you shift the read-out, bit 0 becomes bit 4, say, thereby distorting the signal. It’s circuit bending in software.

• @Philandering_Bastard said:

@Gavinski said:
    @celtic_elk @MarkH

It simulates the read-out from a microprocessor. So when your audio is 16 bit you have 16 addresses. If you shift the read-out, bit 0 becomes bit 4, say, thereby distorting the signal. It’s circuit bending in software.

^^^ winner winner chicken dinner

• Indeed Skip! Well it's nice to have both explanations, Mark's detailed one and @Philandering_Bastard's concise one. I'm calling it a draw!

• I had another thought, since Beatcutter uses a signal at at threshold and you can use a different source as the trigger, we can design trigger samples which would have little content other than provide a trigger. These sample triggers could be designed to fire on certain beats 4 on the floor or any rythmn we choose.

• @Toastedghost said:
    I had another thought, since Beatcutter uses a signal at at threshold and you can use a different source as the trigger, we can design trigger samples which would have little content other than provide a trigger. These sample triggers could be designed to fire on certain beats 4 on the floor or any rythmn we choose.

I've had some similar thoughts. You could even make the triggers more or less arrhythmic, relative to the clock, using something like Rozetta Particles to drive a synth which provides a trigger signal to BeatCutter. You could also designate up to 8 files as the input channels and then use one or more external channels strictly as triggers. (You can't load a file into BeatCutter solely as a trigger, but you could get around this by using a host's file player to route a file into an external channel assigned to a trigger.) In all of these cases, "trigger" can refer to the trigger-driven sequencer as well as the trigger bus.

• @celtic_elk said:

@Toastedghost said:
    I had another thought, since Beatcutter uses a signal at at threshold and you can use a different source as the trigger, we can design trigger samples which would have little content other than provide a trigger. These sample triggers could be designed to fire on certain beats 4 on the floor or any rythmn we choose.

I've had some similar thoughts. You could even make the triggers more or less arrhythmic, relative to the clock, using something like Rozetta Particles to drive a synth which provides a trigger signal to BeatCutter. You could also designate up to 8 files as the input channels and then use one or more external channels strictly as triggers. (You can't load a file into BeatCutter solely as a trigger, but you could get around this by using a host's file player to route a file into an external channel assigned to a trigger.) In all of these cases, "trigger" can refer to the trigger-driven sequencer as well as the trigger bus.

Ah so another file can’t be a trigger, now I know why this was not working,scratches head and trys to look celever! lol So the alternative trigger must be an external sourced instrument. Will experiment with this thanks.

• @Toastedghost said:

@celtic_elk said:

@Toastedghost said:

Ah so another file can’t be a trigger, now I know why this was not working,scratches head and trys to look celever! lol So the alternative trigger must be an external sourced instrument. Will experiment with this thanks.

If you've got a file that's already assigned to an input bus channel, you can use that input channel as a trigger (the I1-I8 settings on the trigger input slider), but there's no way to internally assign a file as a trigger otherwise. You could load a file into an input channel, assign a trigger to listen to it, and then mute the input channel - I think that would work, but it has the side effect that all of the cells fed by that input bus will only record silence when they're triggered, which might leave some unwanted holes of silence in your playback, depending on your settings.

• @celtic_elk said:

@Toastedghost said:

@celtic_elk said:

@Toastedghost said:

If you've got a file that's already assigned to an input bus channel, you can use that input channel as a trigger (the I1-I8 settings on the trigger input slider), but there's no way to internally assign a file as a trigger otherwise. You could load a file into an input channel, assign a trigger to listen to it, and then mute the input channel - I think that would work, but it has the side effect that all of the cells fed by that input bus will only record silence when they're triggered, which might leave some unwanted holes of silence in your playback, depending on your settings.

Must an audio trigger reach 100% both it starts recording? If not how do I gauge its firing value?

• @Toastedghost said:
    Must an audio trigger reach 100% both it starts recording? If not how do I gauge its firing value?

A trigger starts recording when its meter reaches 100%, and continues until its meter drops below 100% (unless you’ve set the Length parameter for that trigger, in which case it records for [Length] beats).

• @Gavinski said:
    Indeed Skip! Well it's nice to have both explanations, Mark's detailed one and @Philandering_Bastard's concise one. I'm calling it a draw!

@Philandering_Bastard 's explanation is how I understand it works based on how it works in Soundscaper and Synthscaper. I called it a "winner" because it is the most clear and concise that I've seen it explained to date.