Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Beatcutter Released! Detailed walkthrough vid (Winners announced)

Comments

• @Charlesalbert said:
    Randomization is the way✌️👍🤪

I think so too Charles. Load her up and let her rip! Seeing as this is one of the most complex IOS APPS out there, that would be the way I would approach it, by breaking down the complexity of the beasty and let the machine do all the calculating for me. Cheers, ED

• @pete12000 said:
    I like the crazy weirdness that this app can produce, and it'll pair well with a sampler. But literally nobody will ever learn how to use this thing except for @Gavinski, bless him.

I'd suggest an "auto mode" and interface, where the app automatically plugs channels into busses as in @Gavinski's demo: channel 1 defaults to bus 1, etc. Then, on a simple one-page interface, you get a mixer, a random button, and maybe a few dials that connect to the top 3 most interesting parameters within the app.

Auto mode: Hit random, listen to weird sounds, tweak with dials and mixer. For those that want to earn a PhD in Beatcutter, they can go deeper.

+1 Yup that’s the way I would go with it too. -Best, ED

• Beautiful example Gavin, I LOVE it!!! Thanks very much for putting in the endless hours digesting this complex Igor Beasty with the Beta, the manual and then your mega walk through. I wish I was working so I could send you a big fat check for all of your hard work (being on disability does not allow for such essential necessities though) Happy Easter to you and your family Gavin and know that in Canada you are a rock star to me. Appreciate your all of your effort & hard work. Cheers, Elektrik Diva

Totally agree. It's genuinely not hard though to do good sounding things once you get the basics. Here is an ambient example that took all of two minutes to set up:

This by the way also shows that you don't need a beat in sight. You can process drones or whatever. All the audio in this is processed from 4 instances of Fundamental, no dry signal, its all just BeatCutter processing

• @ElektrikDiva said:

@pete12000 said:
    I like the crazy weirdness that this app can produce, and it'll pair well with a sampler. But literally nobody will ever learn how to use this thing except for @Gavinski, bless him.

I'd suggest an "auto mode" and interface, where the app automatically plugs channels into busses as in @Gavinski's demo: channel 1 defaults to bus 1, etc. Then, on a simple one-page interface, you get a mixer, a random button, and maybe a few dials that connect to the top 3 most interesting parameters within the app.

Auto mode: Hit random, listen to weird sounds, tweak with dials and mixer. For those that want to earn a PhD in Beatcutter, they can go deeper.

+1 Yup that’s the way I would go with it too. -Best, ED

In the first slot of the mixer, called input sources, if you set it to 9 it will by default route ch 1 in aum to buss 2, ch 2 to buss 2 etc etc. By the way, channel here refers to the instance of beatcutter, not the aum instance. So if u load 4 multi input beatcutters, the first is considered Ch1, etc etc. Details in the manual. But yeah, using a number system to select these kind of macros is insanely complex. Template page leaves a lot to he desired.

• @Gavinski said:
    Similar example to the above, but with drums

Garrrrrooooovvvy man, love it! Thank you Gavin! -ED

• @ElektrikDiva wow, thank you so much!
    @oat_phipps thank you, I always had you down as quits a no nonsense ballbreaker so I always enjoy hearing you appreciate my efforts 😂

• @Gavinski said:

@Shabudua said:
    I’d like to hear more raw/effected comparisons, so I can get a better idea of what Beatcutter is actually doing. Obviously the output is very chaotic, but if I don’t know what the original sounded like, I can’t really tell what’s happening.

Sure. Here is the same session. First 25 seconds is processed by Beatcutter, then it switches to raw input, only the sound of 4 instances of fundamental droning, after about 40 seconds mark it goes back to being Beatcutter processed.

I was thinking that the Fundamental plus Beatcutter would be a match made in Heaven and you just proved it. Cheers, ED

• @sigma79 said:

@Gavinski said:

@sigma79 said:
    Will it be good sampling volcas? Volca drum/modular. Be good for voice? Always trying to add value to a volca.

Good for mangling anything as long as u dig crazy shit

Cool beans as Doug would say.

There's a shirt for that

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/44255/soundtestroom-old-tshirt-art

• Tres cool 😎. The combo of the red hair and the white circles round the eyes makes him look a bit like Pennywise's twin, albeit the nicer version 😂

• Trying this now with just arpeggiate single note piano input going in to channel 1 and setting all the apps busses to receive from channel 1. Pretty interesting, this thing can definitely compose interesting minimalist tracks, Lamonte Young etc would have been huge fans I am sure

• Quite fun to put this output through classic fx

Another nice tip - try setting all the trigger source channels to the channel that the drum input is coming in from. Then just use a simple kick or something and adjust its clock to experiment with slow or fast regular triggers

• The section in the manual on the sequencer is well worth studying carefully. The way the step, template and numbers sliders are set makes a huge difference to how it behaves. My understanding of this was a bit lacking when I made my vid, much clearer now

• At the end I went for refund like @oat_phipps
    So sorry as I did rarely but I found the interface too chaotic for my small brain. Igor is a genius but yesterday I got three headaches trying to make this work as I expect😂😂😂

• I did tell him to expect some refunds! Those interfaces need work for sure, they could be better designed. I have nevertheless been playing around witjh it all day today and loving it! But it took a lot of effort to get to this point

• In my opinion, some people should try it a little bit more before asking for a refund. Even if you don’t understand how it works, it is very easy to have something great coming out of this app. Just use the randomiser and...enjoy. Maybe some are not comfortable with the fact that they will never tame the horse but the art world is full of these “concept” that we don’t fully understand. It doesn’t mean that we can’t appreciate the work by itself

• @cuscolima said:
    In my opinion, some people should try it a little bit more before asking for a refund. Even if you don’t understand how it works, it is very easy to have something great coming out of this app. Just use the randomiser and...enjoy. Maybe some are not comfortable with the fact that they will never tame the horse but the art world is full of these “concept” that we don’t fully understand. It doesn’t mean that we can’t appreciate the work by itself

Yeah, definitely no need to rush for a refund. I think between my vid and Doug's people would get most of what is going on with little need for the manual except for a few small details

• Well hopefully it’s not too many refunds. Even if someone doesn’t get to grips with the interface, I think some random settings with a few tweaks should get some good results. I don’t know that understanding 100% of the functions is really necessary.

• It seems to be a bit hard on cpu for me. Sort of cool all the same. I wish that the matrix worked somehow a bit more like the Apematrix grid, rather than just being a visual representation.

• @ALB said:
    It seems to be a bit hard on cpu for me. Sort of cool all the same. I wish that the matrix worked somehow a bit more like the Apematrix grid, rather than just being a visual representation.

For me I wish you could push on the nodes outside the matrix to physically turn them on and off.
    I sometimes find that the internal triggers do not fire as I would have liked.

• @ALB said:
    It seems to be a bit hard on cpu for me. Sort of cool all the same. I wish that the matrix worked somehow a bit more like the Apematrix grid, rather than just being a visual representation.

Yes I agree that it is a missed opportunity for a more fun way to interact! Do remember though that you can adjust the matrix using the 8 bus mode nunbers on the left and the 5 tabs below (input, trigger etc) that will allow 40 different types of configiration od the matrix)

• @Toastedghost said:

@ALB said:

For me I wish you could push on the nodes outside the matrix to physically turn them on and off.
    I sometimes find that the internal triggers do not fire as I would have liked.

The main thing I found is that if u aren't getting enough sounds try raising the values on the slider knobs in the 8 trigger windows. Also pay attention to the speed the sequencer circles are moving on the matrix. If top slow you may need to adjust things in sequencer tabs. Also, sometimes I fins that somehow my inputs are set up wrongly and I have accidentally set a file as an input when not using files, or set a channel as an input that is not receiving audio. There are tons of pitfalls in this in the first few days but it is worth the effort, I'm really glad I struggled through

• I think it is really unfortunate that we are talking about refunds. This is the promotional thread for the brand new app from a unique developer we know and love.

I hope lots of people watch Gavin and Doug’s videos and see what this crazy beast can do. There’s not much like Igor’s apps on iOS.

• @gusgranite said:
    I think it is really unfortunate that we are talking about refunds. This is the promotional thread for the brand new app from a unique developer we know and love.

I hope lots of people watch Gavin and Doug’s videos and see what this crazy beast can do. There’s not much like Igor’s apps on iOS.

Yeah, at least one read of the manual and a watch or two of a tutorial vid should be required before abandoning ship, you're genuinely missing out if you give up too early

• Not disagreeing with you guys, but I don't think there's much of a market for a $16 app with a steep learning curve that (so far) mainly seems to generate glitched-out sounds. To be honest, most of what I've heard so far sounds like trying to tune in a radio station in the middle of nowhere.

I think for this app to be successful, it needs to be shown to be musical. Otherwise, it will have limited appeal.

• Fair comment, that is exactly my project now these next few days, seeing to what extent it can be toned down, I'm getting there, I think, but it will take more experimentation to be sure

• @telecharge said:
    To be honest, most of what I've heard so far sounds like trying to tune in a radio station in the middle of nowhere.

Erm, that's kind of what I'm after that no other app can deliver lol

• @gusgranite said:

@telecharge said:
    To be honest, most of what I've heard so far sounds like trying to tune in a radio station in the middle of nowhere.

Erm, that's kind of what I'm after that no other app can deliver lol

Lol. I'm after the ability to get the knowhow to seam between that and the actual tunes

• @telecharge said:
    Not disagreeing with you guys, but I don't think there's much of a market for a $16 app with a steep learning curve that (so far) mainly seems to generate glitched-out sounds. To be honest, most of what I've heard so far sounds like trying to tune in a radio station in the middle of nowhere.

I think for this app to be successful, it needs to be shown to be musical. Otherwise, it will have limited appeal.

I think that has a lot to do with the way that the demos are run. I had previously only watched Gavin’s video, but I just took a break to watch a snippet of Doug’s, and he’s feeding it a full song and randomizing the template so that there’s automated playback speed changes and who knows what else happening. That’s practically guaranteed not to produce "musical" results, for most people’s definition of "musical."

I’ve been getting to know the app by feeding it super-simple short loops - a two-bar drum loop with a couple of hits, a four-bar loop of a single chord hit with lots of ambient effects, that kind of thing. I feed it one source at a time, I tweak a couple of individual parameters on the bus channels and sit back to see what happens, and I almost never touch the template at all, let alone randomize it completely. I’ve found that to be very rewarding, and tremendously "musical" within my personal parameters.

• @celtic_elk said:

@telecharge said:
    Not disagreeing with you guys, but I don't think there's much of a market for a $16 app with a steep learning curve that (so far) mainly seems to generate glitched-out sounds. To be honest, most of what I've heard so far sounds like trying to tune in a radio station in the middle of nowhere.

I think that has a lot to do with the way that the demos are run. I had previously only watched Gavin’s video, but I just took a break to watch a snippet of Doug’s, and he’s feeding it a full song and randomizing the template so that there’s automated playback speed changes and who knows what else happening. That’s practically guaranteed not to produce "musical" results, for most people’s definition of "musical."

I’ve been getting to know the app by feeding it super-simple short loops - a two-bar drum loop with a couple of hits, a four-bar loop of a single chord hit with lots of ambient effects, that kind of thing. I feed it one source at a time, I tweak a couple of individual parameters on the bus channels and sit back to see what happens, and I almost never touch the template at all, let alone randomize it completely. I’ve found that to be very rewarding, and tremendously "musical" within my personal parameters.

Yes, I only caught a snippet of Doug's vid but he definitely wasn't going after musical results there. Feed in a drone or an arped single note into one instance of this and work from there, you can get beautiful and interesting minimalist pieces. It takes knowledge and skill to use this musically but it is doable when you get to know it.