Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Beatcutter Released! Detailed walkthrough vid (Winners announced)

Comments

• @Gavinski said:

@Shabudua said:

@Gavinski said:
    Similar example to the above, but with drums

Thanks! That makes me wonder, what does it sound like when you feed more ‘conventional’ music into it, like songs, chords, basslines, melodies, etc? 😀

I could maybe do this in. Away that would sound good, but probably not by using randomisation. You'd have to go into the Control panel and pay careful attention to the pitch sliders there

Thanks for the insight. I love the sounds Beatcutter creates...I hope to find ways to work them into music that’s a little less abstract.

• works great with segments

• @Gavinski said:
    It does state save correctly. But if you open a new instance it will have the same parameters that were in the last instance you used. That can be annoying. Eg. I finished off a session where I put all channels 1 by 1 on to mute. Cos I wanted to use the gradual muting of each channel to thin out the sound.

I then opened a new blank aum session and opened new beatcutter. It took me forever to figure out why I was getting no sound. It was because it had opened it with everything muted. It should instead open new instances to some kind of default, it would be more predictable. Its already a complex app without adding more things like this coming at you out of leftfield

Thanks for clarifying. Not a show stopper in my book as it at least state saved but agreed that it would be a welcome update.

• @Gavinski said:

@pete12000 said:

@Gavinski said:
    By the way, I find twitter very dodgy for audio and video quality at times. That example I posted sounds like it is clipping to me now, but it does not clip at all in the original, and when I listened in twitter a second ago it was fine too. Maybe something to do with WiFi bandwidth? Who knows.... Anyway, you get the gist! This thing can do pure ambient

Very nice. btw - the video was glitching and buffering for me too...

Hmm, Twitter is annoying on so many levels. Does it sound glitchy if you listen in Twitter?

yes

• OK BeepStreet fanboys, let's see you do this in Drambo :-)

• I love my channel comments section,tjere are a few regular commmenters who never fail to make me smile. Good old Limbic Lesion hits the mark again:

• edited April 2021

That post says it perfectly. Rigoddamndiculous for a bleep machine to be so complicated. Refunded. Dunno why I gave it a shot in the first place; looked like a mess from the start.

• SynthScaper was already pushing it, but damn this is just a joke

• I absolutely love it.

• Worst iOS app ever (among developers with prior cred)

• These are the kind of apps that I love the most. The ones that take me to unknown territories and that will make me lose hours exploring. Thanks, Igor, your apps never fail to amaze me. Now if there was an app to read your mind and understand how your apps works

• But for an easy start, this app has a convenient editor of the template that consists of a set of numbers from 0 to 9 where each number defines the depth of change and the spreading of values of the parameter group. You can change any numbers in the template and hear the result, or use the randomizer for the entire template, then change some parameters and save the current state as a preset.

When you’re confused by the “easy start” information, you know it’s time to believe the developer’s claim of “weirdest app ever”.

I have no personal interest in learning this one but I absolutely love that it exists.

• Seems like a very unique app to me, and I can imagine it being very useful to many people who live to add left field experimentation to their music.

• I’m always looking for short fills and bursts for sampling. This is a really fun and unique app. And if you use it as a send you can use it very subtly to ornament other percussion.

• And it’s completely bonkers

• @oat_phipps and @syrupcore I lol'ed at those, thnx
    @gusgranite @michael_m and @Prog1967 are right too though. I have a love/hate thing with this app, and I suspect that Igor himself does too.

It will be great when it gets the mixer page. Multi out would he even better and it should have been obvious from the get go to igor that those were needed, I think.

Some ppl will do very interesting stuff with this for sure. But I am glad I have unmasked the myth that the igor apps are hard to understand because of some genius. Genius in creativity he may be, but UI / UX genius he is not. I thought hard about how blunt I should be about that angle in my review. I'm glad I did though, and I'll bet money that Igor's next app will be all the better for this, if he is prepared to admit it. He's takeny criticisms fairly, he's a top lad. Great creative mind, cool guy, I like him a lot, but he needs to learn to make user friendly interfaces that are enjoyable to use and look at. Bleass have been upping the game in that regard. The matrix looks amazing but that's not really the main place you interact with the app. That matrix should be more a place to perform than to look at. The main place to perform is those 44 pages of sliders and they are neither fun to look at nor use, and certainly don't lend themselves well to live performance. Luckily, you can do cool shit with just the randomisation once u know the basic set up! Overall, I am glad we have this app, I'm enjoying it now that I finally understand it better than I did initially, which is always the case with his apps. It just shouldn't be such a slog to get there, and it was.

• Great review. After immersing myself in the three Scaper apps I have finally grokked their design paradigm. This app looks much less intimidating than it would have before that. Still unclear what the sequencer does but I guess I’ll figure it out.

• @Philandering_Bastard said:
    Great review. After immersing myself in the three Scaper apps I have finally grokked their design paradigm. This app looks much less intimidating than it would have before that. Still unclear what the sequencer does but I guess I’ll figure it out.

Yeah, I need to read that part about the sewuencer again too for sure

• I think he just has his own style and I’m grateful he brings his amazing sound design visions into reality. I cherish these unique apps and, to be honest, I wouldn’t want to tell him that he needs to learn how to do anything better. He’s made the jump to AUv3 as well which has been my wish for his older apps. I’m just kind of in awe of the mangling madness.

Great review. After immersing myself in the three Scaper apps I have finally grokked their design paradigm. This app looks much less intimidating than it would have before that. Still unclear what the sequencer does but I guess I’ll figure it out.

The sequencer determines which cells get triggered for playback, and possibly for sampling, depending on how you’ve got the trigger buses set.

• @gusgranite said:
    I think he just has his own style and I’m grateful he brings his amazing sound design visions into reality. I cherish these unique apps and, to be honest, I wouldn’t want to tell him that he needs to learn how to do anything better. He’s made the jump to AUv3 as well which has been my wish for his older apps. I’m just kind of in awe of the mangling madness.

I’m a huge fan but I can understand people not wanting to get a degree in Vasiliev Studies to handle his apps.

• @celtic_elk said:

@Philandering_Bastard said:

The sequencer determines which cells get triggered for playback, and possibly for sampling, depending on how you’ve got the trigger buses set.

That much I know, its the finer details I need to look at again!

• @celtic_elk said:

What I’m interested in to start with is how the 64 cells get filled.

• @gusgranite said:
    I think he just has his own style and I’m grateful he brings his amazing sound design visions into reality. I cherish these unique apps and, to be honest, I wouldn’t want to tell him that he needs to learn how to do anything better. He’s made the jump to AUv3 as well which has been my wish for his older apps. I’m just kind of in awe of the mangling madness.

I dunno, I think most people who excel in one area are happy enough to be told where their weaknesses lie. But I know what you mean, and I am grateful we have him, for sure.

@celtic_elk said:

What I’m interested in to start with is how the 64 cells get filled.

Basically, that stiff all depends largely on which numbers of bus matrix are selected for input, triggers etc, as well as the slider settings. Trigger sensitivity is a very important slider

• edited April 2021

The realization that made this app start to make sense for me is this: each cell is a dynamically-triggered sampler. Each of the buses represent a stage in the sample/playback process: the input bus defines the sound source for a cell, the trigger bus defines the conditions for recording (trigger conditions, sample length), the control bus defines important aspects of playback (pitch, direction, how many times a cell plays before it empties, whether its first playback is delayed for one or more cycles), the sequence bus triggers playback (and can contribute to sampling as well, depending on how you set the trigger bus), and the output bus (which has two pages, one for effects/filtering and one for level/pan/EQ) handles downstream processing when a cell is played. Each trigger bus records no more than one cell when it fires; each sequence bus plays no more than one cell when it fires.

It gets complicated from there, obviously, but that’s the basic setup.

• @celtic_elk said:
    The realization that made this app start to make sense for me is this: each cell is a dynamically-triggered sampler. Each of the buses represent a stage in the sample/playback process: the input bus defines the sound source for a cell, the trigger bus defines the conditions for recording (trigger conditions, sample length), the control bus defines important aspects of playback (pitch, direction, how many times a cell plays before it empties, whether its first playback is delayed for one or more cycles), the sequence bus triggers playback (and can contribute to sampling as well, depending on how you set the trigger bus), and the output bus (which has two pages, one for effects/filtering and one for level/pan/EQ) handles downstream processing when a cell is played. Each trigger bus records no more than one cell when it fires; each sequence bus plays no more than one cell when it fires.

Yes, well put. But the problem is: what happens when input busses are sending in to parts of the matrix where the trigger busses are currently not being sent? Etc etc does a trigger just not get generated in that case? I feel I still need a way to sit down systematically and watch the bejeesus out of that matrix for half an hour while playing with the 40 possible bus modes

• @Gavinski said:

@celtic_elk said:

Yes, well put. But the problem is: what happens when input busses are sending in to parts of the matrix where the trigger busses are currently not being sent? Etc etc does a trigger just not get generated in that case? I feel I still need a way to sit down systematically and watch the bejeesus out of that matrix for half an hour while playing with the 40 possible bus modes

I don’t think I quite understand your question. When a trigger bus fires, it causes the first empty cell in that bus to initiate a sample recording. The sound source for the sample is define by the input bus to which that cell belongs. If there’s no input signal from the source at that time, the cell samples silence.

• Yeah, I guess the main thing is, maybe if there is too little going on, maybe try sending the input and trigger busses to the same buss number. I need to watch those vids igor posted yesterday again

• I forgot to add; good video Gavinski, thanks for taking the plunge.