Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MacOS: Disable Safari from asking to save passwords?

tjatja
edited March 2021 in Other

I use KeyChain for my Mail Programms.

I don't want to use it for websites.

Instead, I use StrongBox with a KeePass database and have this configured for Auto-Fill in the OS Settings.

In Safari I need to enable "Auto-fill users and password" as otherwise, also StrongBox does not get used.

But in this case, Safari aks EVERY TIME if it should save the password.

If I choose "never for this website", Safari saves this information in the KeyChain, so that there a list of all website where I have logins gets accumulated.
I sure don't want this.

The only way to handle this, is to choose "Not now", which in turn means that I will get asked again and again and again ... you get the points.

I then tried to disable Safari Auto-Fill KeyChain in KeyChain Access, but that did not change anything.

I then deleted the KeyChain for Safari Auto-Fill, but again, nothing changed.

As we have many Mac users on this forum, did anyone ever find a solution for this?

I would like to continue to use Safari and not be forced to use Firefox (or beware, Chrome).

Also, I need to use my KeePass database, as this get's used from Mac, iOS, iPadOS, Windows and Linux.

I really hate how Apple enforces things and does not offer options.

Comments

• tjatja
    edited March 2021

I opened a support case at Apple and basically they told me, that other customers are happy with how it is.

And that there is no setting to change the behavior.

And that there MAY be some command line options, but they don't know them and cannot give them to me.

This kind of support is nothing but a bad joke.

• This is a feature of Safari (you should at least look at it this way).

So, don't use Safari. Personally, I only use Safari for those sites where I do want it to store my passwords. I partition my web browser usage anyway so that I can help to limit cross site tracking and all the other assorted BS that the web entails now.

I recommend Firefox for the Mac. Turn on its containers features and enjoy much greater security and privacy.

• tjatja
    edited March 2021

@NeonSilicon said:
    This is a feature of Safari (you should at least look at it this way).

So, don't use Safari. Personally, I only use Safari for those sites where I do want it to store my passwords. I partition my web browser usage anyway so that I can help to limit cross site tracking and all the other assorted BS that the web entails now.

I recommend Firefox for the Mac. Turn on its containers features and enjoy much greater security and privacy.

Apple sells Third Party Password Managers in their App Store!

They offer an OS setting to enable Auto-Fill for those Applications!

Those Password Managers do work on Safari, you get the users and password!

But WHY would anybody want to be still asked to save that data instead in Apple KeyChain?!?!

This is either just incredible badly done, without any thought and planning at all, OR it is a blunt method to make using Third Party Password Managers as uncomfortable as possible.

Both variants to not shed a good light on Apple ...

This is not a "feature", this is a "nuisance".

• edited March 2021

@tja it seems like Brave (same rendering engine as Chrome, but without Google, and with a ton of other features and configuration options) now has a native M1 version for Mac:

https://9to5mac.com/2020/12/31/privacy-first-browser-brave-now-has-native-support-for-m1-macs/

Probably your best bet if you're looking for a reasonable browser for your machine.

(btw: I can totally relate. One of the things that I'll put on my tombstone is "Why do menus have "Remind me later", "Remind me tomorrow" etc., but not "Never remind me again"???" ;) )

• tjatja
    edited March 2021

@SevenSystems said:
    @tja it seems like Brave (same rendering engine as Chrome, but without Google, and with a ton of other features and configuration options) now has a native M1 version for Mac:

https://9to5mac.com/2020/12/31/privacy-first-browser-brave-now-has-native-support-for-m1-macs/

Probably your best bet if you're looking for a reasonable browser for your machine.

Thanks, going to test this.

From some comparisions, I had a good impression of Safari with a low profile for CPU, RAM and writings to disk.
    Also I like that iCloud bookmarks work well together with those on my iDevices.

I really wanted to use Safari!

(btw: I can totally relate. One of the things that I'll put on my tombstone is "Why do menus have "Remind me later", "Remind me tomorrow" etc., but not "Never remind me again"???" ;) )

YES!!!

And there are more such things ... cannot remember right now.

• @tja said:

@NeonSilicon said:
    This is a feature of Safari (you should at least look at it this way).

Apple sells Third Party Password Managers in their App Store!

They offer an OS setting to enable Auto-Fill for those Applications!

Those Password Managers do work on Safari, you get the users and password!

But WHY would anybody want to be still asked to save that data instead in Apple KeyChain?!?!

This is either just incredible badly done, without any thought and planning at all, OR it is a blunt method to make using Third Party Password Managers as uncomfortable as possible.

Both variants to not shed a good light on Apple ...

This is not a "feature", this is a "nuisance".

Apple doesn't sell 3rd party password managers in their app store. Third party password managers sell their password managers in Apple's app store.

Apple's own software is almost never the best of any particular type of application. Neither is Microsoft or pretty much any other vendor of computer hardware or OS's I've ever used.

There are plenty of reasons to use Apple's stuff. Most of their applications don't really count unless you are using them for their integration with iOS. You are going to be much happier using a Mac if you search out the good software for the job you are trying to do.

• edited March 2021

Your past experiences made me immediately stop trying to use Mac as full time daily usage computer, and just treat it as a develop machine to learn coding. :D

• @tja it's still very entertaining watching you struggle though (I know, sadistic tendencies...) :D your whole attitude to working with computers screams "KDE Plasma" (i.e., maximum configurability), but you're stuck with the exact opposite :D

• tjatja
    edited March 2021

@cadetrim said:
    Your past experiences made me immediately stop trying to use Mac as full time daily usage computer, and just treat it as a develop machine to learn coding. :D

:D :D :D

Than I did at least something Good with my annoying posts ;-)

I am trying the other way around, first trying to get comfortable with Mac and only then trying to develop something ...

• @NeonSilicon said:

Apple doesn't sell 3rd party password managers in their app store. Third party password managers sell their password managers in Apple's app store.

Sorry, but I am buying from Apple, not from others - and you do the same.
    So, effecively, Apple is selling stuff from other developers.

• @SevenSystems said:
    @tja it's still very entertaining watching you struggle though (I know, sadistic tendencies...) :D your whole attitude to working with computers screams "KDE Plasma" (i.e., maximum configurability), but you're stuck with the exact opposite :D

Hehehe :-D

I'm VERY stubborn ;-)
    Unix-type of user ...

• @tja said:

@NeonSilicon said:

Sorry, but I am buying from Apple, not from others - and you do the same.
    So, effecively, Apple is selling stuff from other developers.

The point I was making is that the 3rd party developer is choosing to sell their product for the Mac. Apple has nothing to do with this choice or your choice to use it. As far as I know, Safari does support 3rd party password managers. It might do it like crap and this would be a good reason not to use Safari.

@tja said:

@SevenSystems said:
    @tja it's still very entertaining watching you struggle though (I know, sadistic tendencies...) :D your whole attitude to working with computers screams "KDE Plasma" (i.e., maximum configurability), but you're stuck with the exact opposite :D

Hehehe :-D

I'm VERY stubborn ;-)
    Unix-type of user ...

macOS is Unix. I spend much of my time in iTerm2 and Emacs. I don't use Pages because I prefer LaTeX. MacOS has a great TeX environment. The main reason I use the Mac is that it is, in my opinion, the best Unix environment available today.

• @NeonSilicon said:
    macOS is Unix. I spend much of my time in iTerm2 and Emacs. I don't use Pages because I prefer LaTeX. MacOS has a great TeX environment. The main reason I use the Mac is that it is, in my opinion, the best Unix environment available today.

I am quite comfortable on Unix and worked on SGI IRIX, HP UX, True64, AIX, Solaris and Linux from multiple vendors.

MacOS is ... still hard tobaco for me.
    It is based on Unix, but I think it differs greatly from other incarnations.

One example is, that I could not disable powerd - this is only possible when disabling System Integrity Protection / SIP.
    But this again seems to massively change many other things and I needed to re-able SIP again.
    But I cannot find any explanation or documentation about such things.

One of the biggest differences to other Unixes is, that Apple simply does not offer any explanation and documentation about MacOS and it's administration!

For all other versions of Unix you can find a plethora of documentation and best practices.
    MacOS is a black box for many many things!

Just my 2 cent

And of course the developers choose to offer their product in the App Store, but customers still buy from Apple!
    So, Apple is selling not the developers.

• @tja said:

@NeonSilicon said:

I am quite comfortable on Unix and worked on SGI IRIX, HP UX, True64, AIX, Solaris and Linux from multiple vendors.

MacOS is ... still hard tobaco for me.
    It is based on Unix, but I think it differs greatly from other incarnations.

One example is, that I could not disable powerd - this is only possible when disabling System Integrity Protection / SIP.
    But this again seems to massively change many other things and I needed to re-able SIP again.
    But I cannot find any explanation or documentation about such things.

One of the biggest differences to other Unixes is, that Apple simply does not offer any explanation and documentation about MacOS and it's administration!

For all other versions of Unix you can find a plethora of documentation and best practices.
    MacOS is a black box for many many things!

Just my 2 cent

And of course the developers choose to offer their product in the App Store, but customers still buy from Apple!
    So, Apple is selling not the developers.

Fighting SIP is a losing battle. It's like me fighting systemd on Linux. At least SIP has a valid reason to exist. For the most part, you are best off leaving macOS to do its thing at the system level -- not always, but usually. Most of the time Apple has it tuned for the best performance you are going to get. There are times though when being able to go into the CLI and tell it to stop being annoying is useful. There is almost always some setting that will get the thing done and, as you rightly point out, it won't be documented. Apple used to have great documentation, now it is pathetic. The best place to find this stuff is usually on one of the Stack Overflow things.

The other thing about SIP is that it or something very much like it is coming to every OS and device in the world. It has to. Just watching the logs on my website shows me why. It is under constant attack. It never stops. The computer manufacturers and OS devs have to respond. They really don't have a choice.

• @NeonSilicon Yes, SIP is a valuable feature!
    I just want my Mac to really "deep sleep" (suspend to disk) and do NOTHING while in that state!
    And this get's prevented by "powerd", therefor I was seeking a way to disable it.
    I gave up after some days, but will try again later ;-)