Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ZMachine Mozaic Script (PatchStorage Downloadable)

McDMcD
edited April 2021 in Creations

UPDATED to Version 1.1

I'm uploading the "ZMachine" Moziac script to https://patchstorage.com/zmachine/

Urban Organ Transplant

ZMachine Ambient Settings

Orchestra Composer Demo (I added a MIDI channel knob) and pointed it at 1 iSymphonic IAA instance which supports multi-channel MIDI configs

BONUS TRACKS

Zappa Band Re-Mix

George Duke Rhodes Abortion

Ruth Underwood Solo

Here's 4 instances spread across 6 synths in AUM with a Funk Drummer added "so people wanna move their feet".

Comments

• That’s totally got Frank’s soul

• Definite sense of the Hand Of Frank. Nice work. How many instances to get a whole Ruth Underwood do you reckon?

Lots of beat feeling going on here ... not to mention some serious counting.

• @Krupa said:
    That’s totally got Frank’s soul

Thanks. He loved complexity but his melodic inventions were great. I need to make a script to generate some longer melodic lines to layer over these complex rhythmic machines. I could also probably lay down melodic ideas in Atom 2.

• @Soundscaper said:
    Definite sense of the Hand Of Frank. Nice work. How many instances to get a whole Ruth Underwood do you reckon?

I had some machines running into marimba and xylophone samples and it adds her amazing precision to the mix but the loops are so short it gets old fast... I need to add
    some root progressions so the loops sequence through chord changes. Next update.

Lots of beat feeling going on here ... not to mention some serious counting.

That's what I like... no counting. Just dialing in something worth keeping. I should
    save state and create a knob for state recall. Update after update.

• What synth is playing the raucous melody line?

• McDMcD
    edited March 2021

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    What synth is playing the raucous melody line?

Syntronik mixed Kronicker.

Roli Noise, iWaveStation, and Electric Vintage and in the band with the Funk Drummer "Nete" IAP.

• I took a shot at getting Ruth to take a solo.

Ruth Underwood would play anything that Frank would write for her but like many classically trained musicians she would never improvise. I always wondered what it would be like if she plays something just using her amazing technique with total abandon.

Here's what I think that would have been like... lots of her usual blazing runs and very difficult note groups (5,7,9 per beat).

• @Soundscaper said:
    How many instances to get a whole Ruth Underwood do you reckon?

Just 1 and 3 more for a rhythm section (bass, rhodes, synth).

• @McD Now if you add, in any order, rhythmic and melodic changes, chords, some Blues, some Country, some Reggae, some Jazz, some Johnny Guitar Watson and more SOUL, it might get a bit closer to what FZ did 😉

And I would love to see an accompanying FZ style lyrics generator, fed by current news and boulevard magazines and spitting out some original sarcasm 😁

• Wow! That’s crazy good!

Mozaic scripts eh? That kind of stuff is beyond me...

• @rs2000 said:
    @McD Now if you add, in any order, rhythmic and melodic changes, chords, some Blues, some Country, some Reggae, some Jazz, some Johnny Guitar Watson and more SOUL, it might get a bit closer to what FZ did 😉

That's a good list. I just added my first chord progression (1, 6, 4, 5) and intend to make a lot more.

I'll keep working on making additional styles. I think it helps to dial in some thing that echoes
    many of Frank's melodic/rhtythm vocabulary. But it' Mozaic... my scripts expand until they become unmanageable and I move on.

And I would love to see an accompanying FZ style lyrics generator, fed by current news and boulevard magazines and spitting out some original sarcasm 😁

That sounds like a job for one of these Python apps... that spider's some web sites for headlines and spits out phrases and moderately obscene adjectivesand nouns pulled from Frank's legacy... "mud shark", "the idiot bastards son", "yellow snow", "the thought police".

• @McD said:

@rs2000 said:
    @McD Now if you add, in any order, rhythmic and melodic changes, chords, some Blues, some Country, some Reggae, some Jazz, some Johnny Guitar Watson and more SOUL, it might get a bit closer to what FZ did 😉

That's a good list. I just added my first chord progression (1, 6, 4, 5) and intend to make a lot more.

I'll keep working on making additional styles. I think it helps to dial in some thing that echoes
    many of Frank's melodic/rhtythm vocabulary. But it' Mozaic... my scripts expand until they become unmanageable and I move on.

That sounds like a job for one of these Python apps... that spider's some web sites for headlines and spits out phrases and moderately obscene adjectivesand nouns pulled from Frank's legacy... "mud shark", "the idiot bastards son", "yellow snow", "the thought police".

Good ideas!
    Exciting experiments ahead 😊👍🏼

• edited March 2021

@McD
    Apart from the Zappa's common use of 1, 2, 5 chords, Brett Clement at Ballstate university has written a few quite interesting papers about the subject.
    See here:
    https://ballstate.academia.edu/BrettClement

Downloading PDFs requires registration and a few "No thanks" hurdles but I like his analysis work. A good set of rules to use.

• @rs2000 said:
    @McD
    Apart from the Zappa's common use of 1, 2, 5 chords, Brett Clement at Ballstate university has written a few quite interesting papers about the subject.
    See here:
    https://ballstate.academia.edu/BrettClement

Downloading PDFs requires registration and a few "No thanks" hurdles but I like his analysis work. A good set of rules to use.

Good stuff... I'll be sure to add Lydian and Dorian scales as a first step based upon the Chord Bible quick read.

I may have to add some chord stack logic or better yet... make a companion app the voices
    chord stacked melodies to get close to Frank's orchestral ideas. But I do like the grooves of his blatantly commercial stuff like "Hot Rats", "Moving to Montana, etc.

• This is wild! Can’t wait until you post this Marvelous machine.

• MooooooooAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!

• Good to hear some FZ influenced stuff.

• Well I for one can’t wait to be jammin in McD’s garage 😁

• Really great!

• edited March 2021

@Krupa said:
    Well I for one can’t wait to be jammin in McD’s garage 😁

Yeah, he's a very nice boy! Tee too tee... 😚🎼😄

• McDMcD
    edited March 2021

@michael teaches that you should create some buzz for your apps. Jimmy Fallon won’t reply to my Tweets. I sure his thinks his ‘demo” (TV lingo) has forgotten Zappa. But I say Book Dweezil. I suspect they have forgotten Dweezil or never discovered Dweezil was more than one of Frank's bad jokes.

MoonUnit might make a good script name come to think of it.

@michael also says keep adding features and never ship. Otherwise, you never hear from anyone except angry ‘users’ ( drug and computer reference).

I should post a photo of me and the cat playing chess to show I’m never going to finish the script.

But seriously, when you get your grubby little mitt's on it... I'm history.

• McDMcD
    edited March 2021

No piano lessons... no keyboard... "Look Ma', I'm playing Jazz".

• Woaaa - really cool stuff. And the notes are mainly geerated by the scripts ? I have no idea what you did there and how its done.
    Jazz or Zapa isn’t the type of music that i‘m used to, but i admit that the melodies and rythms are very musical and seem to develop in interesting ways, different to other more random based generative stuff.

And there are indeed simularities to the musical style of Zappa like in the „The Yellow Shark Dance“ video posted by @Soundscaper .

Congrats - i love your experiments, these were fun to listen to.

Probably the first time that i stayed though whole jazz songs - i really wanted to know what each of them turns into and what musical quirks the scripts come up next. The Jazz Drummer helped a lot to show the meandering against its steady but varied beat

• McDMcD
    edited March 2021

Zappa sits in via Kola Sampler with the ZMachine Band

• I added a MIDI Channel Knob and pointed 6 instances at 1 iSymphonic loaded as IAA which lets you assign instruments per channel.

• Ambient Settings

• OK. I'm ready to upload version 1.0 to patch storage.com for comments and feedback.

• @_ki said:
    Woaaa - really cool stuff. And the notes are mainly geerated by the scripts ? I have no idea what you did there and how its done.

The only thing different from most sequencer/generator is the mixing of poly-rhythms.
    I like to have multiple instances that use different PPQN setting so I can get 3:4 and 3:5.
    But they can sound incoherent for I leave notes out and get complex syncopations.

They tend to sound best when I just use PPQN of 2,4,8,12 and everything lines up like a
    complex piano roll MIDI creations with strict quantizing.

• Version 1.1 is getting more rhythms: