Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Solo - Fretboard Visualizatio‪n

2»

Comments

• What mobile interfaces are people using with this? Neither my Shure MVi or my Centrance MixerFace works with this app. I would love for it to be plug and play anywhere…

• McDMcD
    edited May 2021

Me too... the developer needs to look at CoreAudio so my iRig devices are considered valid guitar audio inputs like they are on every guitar amp sim app.

I need to use my Zoom or Presonus audio interfaces which require a Canerkit Adapter and power cable to function. Hardly a mobile solution. I’m tied to a wall power connection to practice. Someone will code a solution that provides a similar set of drills with extra features and own this app category if Solo doesn’t fix this oversight for this that want a simple headphone, guitar and guitar-based audio rig. For $15 we deserve an update this year. Otherwise it’s a good idea but gets used less that it should because it’’s not mobile.

Packing it as an IAA or AUv3 so we can hear our guitar with it’s tone would be great and help avoid coding to core audio as a stand-alone instance but either solution will save dozens of refunds from students without $100 audio interfaces already.

• edited May 2021

@McD said:
    Me too... the developer needs to look at CoreAudio so my iRig devices are considered valid guitar audio inputs like they are on every guitar amp sim app.

I need to use my Zoom or Presonus audio interfaces which require a Canerkit Adapter and power cable to function. Hardly a mobile solution. I’m tied to a wall power connection to practice. Someone will code a solution that provides a similar set of drills with extra features and own this app category if Solo doesn’t fix this oversight for this that want a simple headphone, guitar and guitar-based audio rig. For $15 we deserve an update this year. Otherwise it’s a good idea but gets used less that it should because it’’s not mobile.

Packing it as an IAA or AUv3 so we can hear our guitar with it’s tone would be great and help avoid coding to core audio as a stand-alone instance but either solution will save dozens of refunds from students without $100 audio interfaces already.

It works fine with an iRig Pro iRig HD2. What iRig device are you using?

Have you contacted the developer?

• @espiegel123 said:

@McD said:

It works fine with an iRig Pro. What iRig device are you using?

IRig Pro? $149. Good to know but the Presonus is $100 for anyone on the fence.

• These guys are very guitar focused but the app would help keyboard and other instrumentalists too. The built-in mic approach is probably fine for those users and an acoustic guitar with my phone is probably a good start. Time to break out the Martin BackPacker and really learn the fretboard while in the garden.

• @McD said:

@espiegel123 said:

@McD said:

@mcd and @mjcouche : Have you contacted the developer to let them know about the problem you are having?

What are the symptoms? Does the calibration fail?

Do you get an error message?

• @McD said:

@espiegel123 said:

@McD said:

correction.Mine is an iRig HD2. it looks like they are $80 new these days.

• McDMcD
    edited May 2021

@espiegel123 said:
    correction.Mine is an iRig HD2. it looks like they are $80 new these days.

OK. I bought the same unit and mine didn't work... but I had issues with it when I bought
    ToneStack Pro too but on the 3rd attempt after finding Amplitube to be fine it started working. I will have to try Solo again and see if it accepts it for audio input like you're experiencing. I'll update after another round of testing. This is good news.

What I like about the iRig HD 2 is the headset port for use with my new(er) iPhone without a headphone jack.

UPDATE: I tested with my iPhone using the iRig HD 2 and it calibrates. But you hear no audio through Solo but loading an Amp Sim in the background works... but you may need to re-calibrate Solo for audio input since it seems to need it to quickly detect every note. I load up AUM with TH-U for my amp sim and pulled Solo up. Re-calibrated and I can hear my guitar using my favorite TH-U Amp and run the drills in Solo for note/fret detection.

Thanks @espiegel123 for slipping me a clue that there's is a path to happiness with an iRig HD 2.

It's possible this approach of loading up an Amp Sim in AUM and then starting Solo, re-calibrating will work for other guitar focused hardware audio interfaces.

• @espiegel123 said:

@McD said:

@espiegel123 said:

@McD said:

@mcd and @mjcouche : Have you contacted the developer to let them know about the problem you are having?

Of course not. I came here to complain about it first. I’ll be reporting it soon.

• @mjcouche said:

@espiegel123 said:

@McD said:

@espiegel123 said:

@McD said:

Of course not. I came here to complain about it first. I’ll be reporting it soon.

The 2 guitarists that make videos for the products use show they support a list of
    audio interfaces that they own and have tested. I can report to them that the iRig HD 2 works but only without audible guitar sound.

The priority for the developer (3rd member of the team) is a port to Android devices to
    capture more revenue. It's a niche app so that makes sense.

But the community here would find this app to be very frustrating and it serves a narrow
    use case... people that want to drill guitar fretboard mental exercises. It helps create a mental map of the guitar and also to think of intervalic relationships.

I should test the iRig HD 2 with a hardware keyboard and then with an iPhone plumbed as a sound module into the iPad to use the app for keyboard chord work and ear training.

The guitar playing app creators use the app for their lessons and video training work.

• @mcd and @mjcouche : when you say Solo doesn't work with your interface,do you mean it doesn't successfully calibrate or that it doesn't thru the signal into your monitors/headphones?

• @espiegel123 said:
    @mcd and @mjcouche : when you say Solo doesn't work with your interface,do you mean it doesn't successfully calibrate or that it doesn't thru the signal into your monitors/headphones?

No signal.

• @mjcouche said:

@espiegel123 said:
    @mcd and @mjcouche : when you say Solo doesn't work with your interface,do you mean it doesn't successfully calibrate or that it doesn't thru the signal into your monitors/headphones?

No signal.

When you say 'no signal', do you mean: "it doesn't receive signal and won't calibrate and detect input OR it calibrates and detects notes but doesn't let me monitor the signal"?

• @espiegel123 said:

@mjcouche said:

@espiegel123 said:

No signal.

When you say 'no signal', do you mean: "it doesn't receive signal and won't calibrate and detect input OR it calibrates and detects notes but doesn't let me monitor the signal"?

Sorry. It does not receive a signal/ “turn on” my interface.

• @mjcouche said:

@espiegel123 said:

@mjcouche said:

@espiegel123 said:

No signal.

Sorry. It does not receive a signal/ “turn on” my interface.

what happens when you try to run the calibration?

does anything change if you run another app that receives input from the guitar?

• By the way, these reports remind me of what happens when you connect two audio interfaces to an iOS device: the last one wins.

• I have three different interfaces: iRig HD2, Zoom H4 (ancient), Griffin Studio Connect (30-pin with lightning adapter). Solo works with all of them.

Solo doesn't thru the input to the output (probably by design). So, it might not be obvious it is working if one expects to hear the the guitar in one's headphones or whatever the interface is connected to. You need to run something else in addition (amp sim, or AUM or Audiobus, etc) to monitor the guitar.

• @espiegel123 I’m on the same page with you after some false starts with calibration done once with the mic. The fact that Solo doesn’t process audio thru makes you think it’ broken when the calibration is off.

Re-calibrating got me back on track and having an amp sim in AUM let’s you here the note being targeted to get ear training benefits of the chord progression work.

I’m much happier now but I’m iPad/iPhone Savy and your average guitar student is probably NOT. But the video trainings will help them slowly build a user base and I expect they will keep adding features if the cost of the developer (or his deal with the other2) makes him want to keep working for minimum wage.

• @McD said:
    @espiegel123 I’m on the same page with you after some false starts with calibration done once with the mic. The fact that Solo doesn’t process audio thru makes you think it’ broken when the calibration is off.

Re-calibrating got me back on track and having an amp sim in AUM let’s you here the note being targeted to get ear training benefits of the chord progression work.

I’m much happier now but I’m iPad/iPhone Savy and your average guitar student is probably NOT. But the video trainings will help them slowly build a user base and I expect they will keep adding features if the cost of the developer (or his deal with the other2) makes him want to keep working for minimum wage.

I watched the tips video "Looping with Solo" and realized that it can be really useful to run something like Tonality's Chordpads in AUM in the background (particularly with the scale exercises) to help one hear the notes in context.

• @espiegel123 said:

@McD said:
    @espiegel123 I’m on the same page with you after some false starts with calibration done once with the mic. The fact that Solo doesn’t process audio thru makes you think it’ broken when the calibration is off.

I watched the tips video "Looping with Solo" and realized that it can be really useful to run something like Tonality's Chordpads in AUM in the background (particularly with the scale exercises) to help one hear the notes in context.

Good idea... I’ll probably use iRealbook or SessionBand Jazz with the same tune Solo is drilling on but first I want to slow down and drill the fretboard note names to the 18th fret or so. That’s my intention but I need to create a habit. Usually my habits need instant gratification or a reward system... learn the fretboard get an iPad or M1 Mac.

• The shortest path to fast is years of concentrated slow.

Wax on wack off, Grasshopper.

• @McD said:

@espiegel123 said:

@McD said:

Good idea... I’ll probably use iRealbook or SessionBand Jazz with the same tune Solo is drilling on but first I want to slow down and drill the fretboard note names to the 18th fret or so. That’s my intention but I need to create a habit. Usually my habits need instant gratification or a reward system... learn the fretboard get an iPad or M1 Mac.

IMO, you might find it more useful to set up chordpads in tonality for the song and set up a pedal to advance through the chords when you tap tbd pedal. The reason I suggest this rather than use ireal is that it lets you work on the intervals without worrying about time. I think being able to focus on the intervals without competing pressures is beneficial.

It would be a nice option in Solo to have the new chord play as it advances.

• @espiegel123 said:
    IMO, you might find it more useful to set up chordpads in tonality for the song and set up a pedal to advance through the chords when you tap tbd pedal. The reason I suggest this rather than use ireal is that it lets you work on the intervals without worrying about time. I think being able to focus on the intervals without competing pressures is beneficial.

I never thought of that... I can see how that would be beneficial from day one taking the time element out of the equation but letting you hear the chord and how the interval requested sits in the chords sound. Nice. A little bit of work to set up but big benefit and added value to the app for developing the ear to hear notes with context.

• Whoa! Finally decided to try solo, hoping it would work with my setup- Linnstrument playing Continuumini into solo. Surprise surprise it does. Using a IK irig mixer to hear what I’m playing, sending that into behringer uca202 cheapo interface, seems I have to use Aum in background to activate interface, then solo recognizes me in all my intervalic beauty!
    This is kinda outstanding.
    Though I do wish it could be more simple and just work with interapp audio or auv3 somehow. Either way, this is a really fun way to practice!

• Just noticed that this is now available for Android… Are there any more recent views as to whether it is worth buying… thanks

• @GeoTony said:
    Just noticed that this is now available for Android… Are there any more recent views as to whether it is worth buying… thanks

If you are willing/interested in learning the skills it is intended to foster and willing to put in time with it regularly, it is very worthwhile.

• Your point is well made @espiegel123 , and understood. As they say around here.. you don’t get owt for nowt!

• After getting my Casiotone CT-S1 and spending time relearning some piano stuff, I haven't been as consistent in practicing with Solo, but I do feel like my note recognition on the G and B strings - my 2 weakest strings for note recognition - has improved, as well as use of intervals for improvisation.