Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

We need a crossfeed/monitors/room headphones mix app as "effect"!

edited February 2013 in General App Discussion

I searched, but didn't found any Audiobus effect app capable of creating crossfeed/monitors/room sim for mixing with headphones.
Even stacking EQs with crossed pans, delays to reproduce time gap between ears, reverb for the room...impossible.

Something like Isotope Isone, Redline Monitor or Crossfeed EQ/Head-fit (freeware) to avoid a big part of headphones drawbacks : unrealistic bass level, bad stereo imaging, too wet...

Put it at the end of the chain and you are ready to mix a lot better ;)
You can use it with any Audiobus app.

Ppl with iPhone/iPad mix mostly with headphones...it is going to be a big step forward.

Make some noise !

Comments

• edited August 2017

I dont know why app developers are not writing such a simple app. AU/audiobus compatibility would be very nice. I think the demand for such a product should be high. What do you think? Please leave a comment..in hope a developer sees this thread..

• edited August 2017

it's not as simple as you assume - I've tried half a dozen over the years and it was mostly close to sonic torture.
    In real world timing information (phase) is complex and continous, just some crossfeed doesn't even cover half of the picture.
    Get proper cans and learn the difference. I rely on half open classic AKG K-501.
    They only fail on subbass, which doesn't matter as I don't like that stuff anyway.
    (sometimes Sennheiser IE4 get used for extended dance/synth basses, but generally the K-501 give a very good impression of the mix)

• edited August 2017

Yes you might be right but i think even a little crossfeed could help when panning tracks in the mix.Just a simple AU app which i turn on while mixing the stereo base of a song.
    Timing, phase.. yes this is complex but we se so many much complexer plugins on the market.synths..amp/mic/cabinet simulations and so on. I habe some old akg 270 df .. not much bass but very neutral,

• Audiofile Engineering have hinted that they might make a mobile version of Fidelia with crossfeed (the OSX version has CanOpener built in). If enough people lobbied them, I bet you could convince them to do an AU crossfeed only app :)

• good cans, but closed - likely the reason why this puzzles you.
    I have some sophisticated (and expensive) plugins that deal with stuff roughly in the same domain (detect room resonances, adjust impact and proximity of a sound etc).
    They are far from 'natural' results on their own and need severe tweaking to achieve a pleasing sound.
    Severe means that the difference between nice and shit is a tiny balance of settings and it needs some experience to get thise right.

I'm shure that a good mic modeller can deal with pop vocals quite well, but on a natural voice it blurs the signal. Reasonable, considering how fine the human ear can act as a detector.
    Which is exactly your 'problem' and why it's hard to transfer a 'flat' audio image under cans into something that faithfully fakes a room response.

But it's actually not that bad because your ears adapt rather fast to your standard environment - if you use it constantly with all kind of audio.
    You may know some track from a club, have a high quality version at home... so play it through speakers and cans and listen attentively.
    Just like you learned to keep the bass impression slightly lower on your 270s or it will boom elsewhere. With reverb or pan effects it's just the same. Know your tools.

• edited December 2017

Yes Telefunky i agree with you. It is nessesary to know the equipment which i use but sometimes tools can be helpfull to.
    Why not use helpfull technology?

I finally found an app which seems to be suitable tool for headphone mixing. It is a AUv3 app whicht can be used in apps like Cubasis.
    You can setup virtual speakers in a virtual room and place the listener into te room.
    Looks very promising. I have to give it a try..
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/21562/virtualroom-au-is-out-auv3-works-with-ab3

• Good morning

• Good morning 😀
    Are there any news on this topic?

• @Jokerpack said:
    Good morning 😀
    Are there any news on this topic?

Out of curiosity would Toneboosters Morphit be what you are looking for.

• Morphit doesn't do cross feed. I reached out to ToneBoosters asking them to add it and they replied back with a "Thanks for the suggestion".

• This DAC/amp device uses USB C or Bluetooth and has crossfeed built into it as well as a multi band parametric EQ for headphone correction.

https://www.amazon.com/Qudelix-5K-Bluetooth-Adaptive-Unbalanced-Balanced/dp/B088F7C976

It even has a little microphone in it. If you’re mixing or playing with loops, it works well. It even has a balanced 2.5mm port for fancier headphones (twice the power can be given for a balanced connection).