Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM+Atom2 => Drambo/miRack == AL iOs edition?

Posting on OT cause I start with a rant...

[off my chest, skip down]

Trying to get back at making music. Since my divorce and losing my crib, I embarked on mobile music making. It’s been several years now, and shamefully all I made were a couple of remixes just for fun. I used to complete a full fledged song per month, if not more. For me and my friends amusement, I’d DJ at local bars, slip in my songs, but it was never for money (maybe in my teens I would fantasize about being a rock star, but then I grew up). But that was several years ago. Nowadays I browse the forum every morning, but don’t make a peep. Or I’ll make some inappropriate drunken comment.
Anyway, I’m trying to get back in business.
Thing is, I’m spoiled for options nowadays (quite unlike when I first started on an iPod touch). I lost track. And now I don’t have time to learn the intricacies of every app. Just a few select ones.
I’m trying to keep it simple for the sake of it being like when I would just fire my desktop and have everything at my fingertips, no need to set things cause I’d done it already.

[the question]

So would this be a good setup?
Have as many atoms in aum channels (or matrix except it only has 3 outs) as I have clips.
Have a master atom trigger those clip atoms (a chord would be like selecting a scene in AL, since each atom clip can respond to a specific note I could try combinations).
Other AUM channels host the synths I want to use and get sequenced by the atoms.
Then route audio to Drambo and/or miRack, for the fx part, resonators, etc, and of course flexi sampler.
All this going on in sync!
And I want to be able to save the full project in aum and be able to recall it easily.
Maybe even use iCloud to sync projects across devices...

Am I thinking this straight? Could this work?

And any thoughts on improving this workflow?

Comments

• All these app you’ve mentioned are the top of iOS today, so yes, they can be arranged into a good setup, but ‘good setup’ is subjective.
    If your frustration comes from the lack of presentable output, then maybe limiting your options is the best way forward? The apps you’ve mentioned are all about depth/options, which can often kill mood/inspiration. Have you tried to create within limitations? Something like Koala, GarageBand, Gadget... fun & quick

• I got sort of lost there. But i'm reading your post while resting a bit between chores :lol: (And I don't have atom, maybe that's why i'm lost :tongue:)
    But I gotta agree with @0tolerance4silence... Maybe to get your mojo back, start simple (i'm currently doing this reset on my workflow too)

Like... stick to drambo. Play just with a bit, all internal... it has loads of power already. Than start hosting other apps as AU inside it. Maybe it'll be too linear for your needs, but then you start pulling atom and aum/apematrix into the mix.

But I recall reading a post these days here in the forum regarding LK launching Atom clips. So I guess you could give it a try anyway.

• @pedro said:
    Thing is, I’m spoiled for options nowadays (quite unlike when I first started on an iPod touch). I lost track. And now I don’t have time to learn the intricacies of every app. Just a few select ones.

Nothing wrong with that. Pick yourself a solid base, get secure in handling it and open up to some other things.
    Everything at once can result in a „What should i pick - don’t know what to do“ situation. I can totally relate to that.

Limit yourself down and get things flowing. After some time expand your arsenal if still needed/wanted.

• @pedro said:
    So would this be a good setup?
    Have as many atoms in aum channels (or matrix except it only has 3 outs) as I have clips.
    Have a master atom trigger those clip atoms (a chord would be like selecting a scene in AL, since each atom clip can respond to a specific note I could try combinations).
    Other AUM channels host the synths I want to use and get sequenced by the atoms.

I don't know if this would be a good setup for you, but it's certainly how I've been envisioning the more advanced usage of Atom and very close to the preferred way to work with it. Furthermore, @tk32 and @winconway pioneered the "sequencing the sequencers" during the beta, and it was tested to death: it'll work, and it'll be tight. Whether or not it'll fit your workflow style is up to you to figure out. Starting out small (perhaps even without relying on Atom, at least in AUM just noodling around is how most of us started out) is probably the safest approach.

• @Pedro - The setup you mention can work great. My first thought is in line with @0tolerance4silence though. Drambo and miRack are both bottomless pits of potential distractions and complications. They're not something I'd recommend to someone trying to focus / streamline a workflow. On the other hand, that you mention them means you seem to be comfortable.

There's a lot to be said for @senhorlampada 's suggestion of just sticking to Drambo standalone. You got your sequencer, AU hosting (including miRack if you like), and everything in one tight, solid package. The only thing missing is a piano roll if you like to work that way.

Atom isn't ideal for use in Drambo yet IMO because of needing one Atom for each pattern/track, which multiplies fast. But, if that gets sorted by allowing pattern switch within Atoms, it will be the perfect piano-roll module for Drambo.