Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Recommended Loop Player App

My sincere apologies if this isn't the correct forum for this type of question, but there does seem to be a lot of talk about various apps.

I am looking for an app that has pads (like iMPC, but iMPC doesn't do what I want) that, once triggered, will loop until stopped, has audiobus output support (unlike Launchpad) and that will work with any class compliant midi controller. I have tried Electrify NXT and it is pretty great, but it doesn't have controller support. I have tried NanoStudio, Beatmaker 2, Protein Der Klang and others but they each have something missing.

Protein Der Klang and Electrify NXT would both fit the bill if they had controller support. I tried Loopy but couldn't figure out how to create choke groups, like PDK and Electrify NXT has.

Does anyone know of such an app?

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Loopy doesn't have pads like iMPC but when you select each loop they keep playing so it does the same thing. Loopy has great MIDI controller implementation.

• Electrify NXT does work with my Akai MPK25. I haven't ever tried triggering loops from the pads, though.

• I had hoped that Electrify Nxt would have added controller support for clip launch by now but all seems to have gone eerily quiet over on the forum for the App....?!

I'd have thought the BM2 would have done the job but presumably you don't like the workflow?

What about Nanostudio? I think it has loop as an option on the pads but I haven't used it for ages?

• @conformal said:

I have tried NanoStudio, Beatmaker 2, Protein Der Klang and others but they each have something missing.

Why not set up multiple apps to do different parts of what you want? I think BM2 can do your one-shots with choke groups. And Loopy can do all your other loops. Both can be controlled by MIDI bindings

You could even set up a screen full of pads in a virtual MIDI app to control both groups at once.

• Thanks for all these responses. @CalCutta, I will have to try Electrify NXT again. I didn't see anything about MIDI control for loops, but I will try it.

@Skipp, I thought that the dev tweeted about getting a Launchpad and thought he would be adding support to NXT, but it hasn't come yet.

@Hmtx, that is actually roughly what I have been doing. It works OK, but just isn't quite right. I was hoping there would be another app that I just haven't found yet.

@yowza, Loopy does work pretty well with my midi controller, but what I was hoping to be able to do is have [loop app] running through Turnado with audiobus to Cubasis, then use my button controller to control playbac. Then I can use my keyboard controller to play another app.

The problem with both Beatmaker and Nanostudio, is that while you can loop forever if you hold the button, you can't just start a loop and let it go until stopped.

I know that I can just sequence all this stuff - even the loops, but I just feel like playing it "live" into a DAW suits me a little better.

I mocked up a web page that works like I want - mostly. It only works in Chrome and it doesn't yet support defined choke groups - they all choke each other. This isn't a final product, just a proof of concept idea.

You can try it out here: http://theme9.com/beats/beats.html

Is there anything like this?

Thanks again for the responses so far.

• LP-5 might be another app to keep an eye on: http://www.finger-pro.com/lp-5 It's set up like a 5 tracks/12 scenes Ableton Live session view with realtime timestretch. "Sampling, Inter-App Audio, Support for hardware controllers" are planned.

• @conformal
    Take another look at Beatmaker 2, there is a function called auto loop, a setting for the pads, in which the first press starts the loop and second press ends it. It loops in fractions of time signature (ie 1/1, 1/8, 32/1) maybe your loops aren't in chunks like this that are time sig increments...but the loop loops by itself, on and on.

• @shortbus, LP-5 looks good. I'm going to keep my eye on that one. If they get controller support, I think it will work. If I can figure out how to introduce IAA into my workflow. Thanks!

@littlewoodg, I saw that in beatmaker, but I think I may not be clever enough to get that to work. I tried it with a loop from figure which loops nicely but I could never get that autoloop function to work. It either cut it off early or paused for a few beats then started playing. It also didn't choke off with another pad. I should probably spend a little more time playing with it before ruling out completely. Thanks for the tip.

• @conformal
    Yup, the loops have to fit into the time signature, as a fraction or a multiple, so it will cut off some, or leave blanks spaces on others if they don't fit the time sig math...

• yeah, I've found the autoloop in BeatmakerII frustratingly useless.

As for Loopy, has anyone else noticed a drop in sound quality when dropping audio into it and/or into your DAW?