Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MIDI Keyboard: "Cable Not Certified" Message

I have an M-Audio Mini 32 keyboard and 3rd party USB-to-Lightning adapter that I bought to use with my iPad music apps. At the time, I was on iOS 6.x, and had no problems. It was plug-and-play.

I recently updated to iOS 7.1 and when I plug the keyboard/adapter in, I receive a "This cable or accessory is not certified and may not work reliably with this device" message. Did something change in the iOS versions that now blocks 3rd party adapters?

Comments

• Mine comes with the message so I unplug the usb cable from the adapter, then replug it and it all works as intended.

• I notice that problem since I updated, when I plug my cable that came with my ipad to charge it sometimes I get the message, usually if I unplug and plug it back in its fine.

• Thanks. I've tried that a couple times w/no success, but I'll do a reboot of the iPad and try again tonight.

• I've been getting that message occasionally lately. Same here where I unplug and plug back in. Looks like another iOS7 update should arrive soon!

• Apple has certainly kicked up its efforts to block unauthorised cables in iOS7. Some more info here: http://apple.slashdot.org/story/13/09/21/2256230/apple-starts-blocking-unauthorized-lightning-cables-with-ios-7

• @thatsRayor said:

Apple has certainly kicked up its efforts to block unauthorised cables in iOS7. Some more info here: http://apple.slashdot.org/story/13/09/21/2256230/apple-starts-blocking-unauthorized-lightning-cables-with-ios-7

Thanks for the info. Guess that's the end of my iOS music making for a while. I bought my current cable precisely because $20+ for an adapter is ridiculous. If they're going out of their way to cripple non-Apple connectors, i'll be (unfortunately) ignoring my iPad for a while. Shame.

• It's actually not that uncommon for manufacturers to insist that genuine parts, including power supplies, be used. Certainly in parts of my industry it is impossible to use third party batteries, leads and plug packs. The thinking is that all associated parts must be within strict parameters, giving quantifiable, uniform results. It takes away any ambiguity and ensures the same readings are obtained across the board, regardless of the user.

• @hwangman said:

@thatsRayor said:

Apple has certainly kicked up its efforts to block unauthorised cables in iOS7. Some more info here: http://apple.slashdot.org/story/13/09/21/2256230/apple-starts-blocking-unauthorized-lightning-cables-with-ios-7

Thanks for the info. Guess that's the end of my iOS music making for a while. I bought my current cable precisely because $20+ for an adapter is ridiculous. If they're going out of their way to cripple non-Apple connectors, i'll be (unfortunately) ignoring my iPad for a while. Shame.

Someone posts a link to a several month old article, so you are bailing on making music with your iPad?

• @Zymos - It's a few different things.

First, I've yet to find any built-in app keyboard that I consider useful. Even the ones in Gadget feel clunky to me. Using a MIDI keyboard is my only option if I'm going to be productive w/music on my iPad. That option is no longer available.

In addition, I don't have $30 to blow on an adapter at the moment. I don't want to shelve the iPad but it sounds like this was intentional. I understand manufacturers wanting to push their own accessories but then the 3rd party adapters should never have worked.

• If it was me I'd bite the bullet, but I can understand the resistance to shelling out more $ to replace something that was working.

• Right. I'm sure I'll eventually buy one, but I'm annoyed because I can't right now and I was looking forward to being able to work on tunes on the go.