Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: Apple Swift Playgrounds - learn to code

This was posted on iPad Musicians and I thought it might be useful for anyone, like me, thinking about learning to program iPads. The course is very basic but fun, focusing on problem solving in a game style. It requires iOS 10, a 64bit iPad and is about 300mb, but its free! It could be your first step in an amazing 'journey' ha ha!
http://www.apple.com/uk/swift/playgrounds/

Comments

• Swift is easy to learn, especially if you have experience with other programming languages. The hardest part is to learn Apple's iOS frameworks, and that's gonna take a lot of time and effort

• I'm going to have a muck about wth this when I upgrade, and it might keep Jnr amused too.

• Apple has a free Swift book available through iBooks. It's incredibly well written. I have the advantage of already being a programmer, but it had me up and running with Swift in just a few days.

• I always wondered if it's possible to learn coding for ios just to make your own tools, that use IAA, , without having to ultimately submit to the app store.

• @Blipsford_Baubie said:
    I always wondered if it's possible to learn coding for ios just to make your own tools, that use IAA, , without having to ultimately submit to the app store.

I haven't had time to explore but have you looked at mobuplat?

• @Blipsford_Baubie said:
    I always wondered if it's possible to learn coding for ios just to make your own tools, that use IAA, , without having to ultimately submit to the app store.

You'll still need to buy a dev license to be able to register your device as a dev machine ($99 per year), but yes, you can then build whatever you want and deploy to your iOS device without having to submit to the store. I have a few utilities I have written that I use in that way (not IAA though).

• Fair enough. Thanks.

• @excesseye said:
    You'll still need to buy a dev license to be able to register your device as a dev machine ($99 per year), but yes, you can then build whatever you want and deploy to your iOS device without having to submit to the store. I have a few utilities I have written that I use in that way (not IAA though).

AFAIK, you can run your apps on your own devices without a paid membership account. Am I wrong?

• @yug said:

@excesseye said:

AFAIK, you can run your apps on your own devices without a paid membership account. Am I wrong?

You may be right; it's been a while since I did this. I thought I had to create a provisioning profile for my device which required the license, but I may be wrong.

• edited October 2016

@yug said:

Yes you can, just use your iTunes / Apple ID. Supported capabilities of your app are restricted (no iCloud stuff for example), but I checked and it looks like you can do IAA.

Speaking of which, if you're going to try and get IAA working with an app written in Swift this may put you off programming for life... :wink:

• @moodscaper said:

Speaking of which, if you're going to try and get IAA working with an app written in Swift this may put you off programming for life... :wink:

Personally, Im not thinking that far into the future but out of curiousity, do you think AU or Audiobus or some other way would be easier to integrate with Swift that IAA? Im guessing you might say anything is easier :)

• @Richtowns said:

@moodscaper said:

Personally, Im not thinking that far into the future but out of curiousity, do you think AU or Audiobus or some other way would be easier to integrate with Swift that IAA? :)

No.

;-)

For AU it is still recommended to stick with Objective-C mixed with C++ for complex technical reasons.

Audiobus is quite accessible by comparison , but hardly entry-level programming material.

• @Richtowns said:
    Personally, Im not thinking that far into the future but out of curiousity, do you think AU or Audiobus or some other way would be easier to integrate with Swift that IAA? Im guessing you might say anything is easier :)

It really depends what you want to do. If you're using say Swift and AVFoundation to do your thing and you want to support IAA as a simple generator, then it's possible for sure but it's painful, and AFAIK, totally un-documented from a Swift perspective - read into that what you will..

As for AU and AB support, I might have to get back to you on that one... :smile:

• Related, for anyone who wants to learn to use Python to do interesting things on/with iOS, check out Pythonista:

http://omz-software.com/pythonista/

I haven't dug into it as I want to actually learn a little Python on Code Academy first. But, from what little I've seen, Pythonista is impressive.

• i'm gonna use this to code an app that tracks all professional athletes and their respective listening behaviors during the ceremonial sing-songing of america's unparalleled exceptionalism.

• @moodscaper said:

l

It really depends what you want to do. If you're using say Swift and AVFoundation to do your thing and you want to support IAA as a simple generator, then it's possible for sure but it's painful, and AFAIK, totally un-documented from a Swift perspective - read into that what you will..

FWIW Swift 4 may tackle things related to making it suitable for realtime audio

• I worked through a Python course using Pythonista (while riding the train), but occasionally you'll have to invent a workaround due to iOS's restricted file system.

• edited October 2016

There's also this one: https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/continuous-.net-c-and-f-ide/id1095213378?mt=8
    They say you can write apps with it :o Looks very impressive, especially for those who already know C#

• @yug said:
    There's also this one: https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/continuous-.net-c-and-f-ide/id1095213378?mt=8
    They say you can write apps with it :o Looks very impressive, especially for those who already know C#

Nice one!