Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Integrate app with The Audiounit, AUv3 protocol

So, I have written a iOS MIDI controller app using AudioKit (v5). The connectivity part is as simple as:

let engine = AudioKit.MIDI()
        engine.createVirtualOutputPorts()
        engine.openOutput()

I then send notes to the engine with engine.sendEvent. That's it. It almost works ok with no setup, you have to run the app after the virtual instrument you want to play, but it auto-connects to it.

I'm porting this app to be AUv3 compatible and run in Hosts like AUM or Audiobus. So far, I was able to have the app recognised by AUM and loaded into the host, but how to connect it properly? The user can select, from Audiobus interface, an actual midi output where to send the MIDI events so that other app can listen to that virtual MIDI device.

How to go from this

let engine = AudioKit.MIDI()
        engine.createVirtualOutputPorts()
        engine.openOutput()

To actually select a MIDI output for my app chosen by the user in a "standard Audiounit" integrated mode?

Comments

• Apparently there is Developer section on the forum where you might have more success.

• @supadom said:
    Apparently there is Developer section on the forum where you might have more success.

Hi, thanks. What forum are you referring to? This one? These are the only sub-forums I can see...

• edited March 2021

@pistacchio
    There is actually a developer forum for this: Link

Not that i don’t like following such stuff...but you might get better support there :wink:

• Ah there you go. Thanks @MrBlaschke I’ve never been there, only heard of ;)