Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Tinnitus

Hello folks. I am a professional musician with chronic tinnitus. It gets tough and for this reason I feel passionate about letting others know about the dangers of loud volume (especially for musicians) and the tools I’ve created to help me cope.

I know this is a subject that as musicians we don’t really want to talk about but that’s one of the reasons why I feel passionate about letting others know.

Ive been on this forum virtually everyday for the last 2 years and for this reason I wanted to say thank you for all the IOS knowledge I’ve gained from you folks by sharing a FREE copy of the book I’ve just finished writing called **Overcoming Tinnitus. 12 Tools To Help You Overcome Tinnitus. Written by a musician. **

This book will go on sale next month but if anyone is struggling with tinnitus or concerned about it please feel free to download this free PDF version (absolutely no strings attached). No email, nothing. Just a free copy.
Download here👉 https://www.dropbox.com/sh/22emm2o2z70awb9/AADAoFxQdmhwV98-3cE91uP3a?dl=0

The topics I talk about in the book are along the lines of what I talk about in this video. 👉

If there’s any one out there struggling with tinnitus then please feel free to take a look at this book.
Thanks Jack

Comments

• edited March 2021

Hi and thanks for that book Jack!!
    That’s very interesting stuff :)

I have an occasional very moderate low pitch white noise tinnitus in both ears.

More importantly, I have a sometime very annoying hyperacusis in right ear, with muscular spasms inside ear on each sound I hear. With fatigue, I often can’t stand any sound, even the noise of my last son’s little cars hitting the floor is a torture.

I learned to live with it, the key was to teach my mind to never think about it. Most of the time, it’s ok and I don’t even really notice it.

But, some periods are bad. I’m in one of those for something stupid: I bought a new Focusrite audio interface and while testing HP preamp quality at higher sound levels, searching for eventual distortion (thanks to that stupid YT geek video!! ... that Solo interface sounds very nice indeed!!), pain start again and now this is spasms fiesta. Two weeks already for a few seconds too loud. When you have ear damaged, you have to be more cautious than that.

My right ear hyperacusis starts around my 20 years old when switching on an amp with HP plugged on, and I had get a very loud pop sound. But also, I played tenor sax so many years semi-professionally, beginning at 16 years old and now I’m 44. Such a loud instrument, 95 db average and measured myself at more than 111 dB peaks with altissimo and 118 dB with low bell notes!! I can’t now play loud more than 30 mn without feeling pain for the rest of the day, and even headaches and nausea.

My solution since 4 years is this: I practice EVERYDAY my sax with IEM’s. Shure SE215 gives 37db isolation, nice and clean monitoring with not too much high mids and highs, they’re not fatiguing at all. That good isolation helps monitoring at moderate levels even with my loud instrument. I can play two hours per day without any pain, and this is with sax + loops stuff I control with my pedalboard, playing scales, practicing long tones etc. My new Focusrite Solo gen 3 audio interface helped me have better 5 ms measured RTL (round trip latency) on PC (10 ms on iOS) while my previous iRig was 14 ms PC and 18 ms iOS. This helps a LOT to have better timing in fast/rythmic playing. I can really advice for IEMS for instrument practice, this is really a good way to go on long term.

For bad periods, I always have some ear protections in my pocket. This helps my ear/me taking a break and relaxing if needed. But I also try to not use this too much, as this can lead to more intense hyperacusis symptoms. Often it’s better to try to live with it and with everyday life sounds.

Thanks again for that book :wink:

• @Janosax hello 👋 thank you for comment. I’m 45 so similar age. I didn’t realize the sax was so loud .

It’s really good that you are protecting your ears . If you have chance to read the book there’s a whole section on ear protection. Also there’s an extensive interview with one of the founders of The Ear Peace Foundation based In Miami. An excellent organization that seek to educate young musicians on the dangers of NIHL. They are doing fantastic work to help educate younger musicians. I wish I would of known then what I know now.

But the book offers a lot of tips on how to cope and how to deal with T so if you feel like giving it a read you might find some interesting points in there .

Stay strong brother 🎸☀️

• Thank you for the book jack. I grind my teeth pretty badly at night and this gives me very bad ear ringing. I do not know if I would have tinnitus without the teeth grinding. Maybe I will never know.

I try to meditate but I can’t seem to get into it. I am miserable when doing meditation I dread it or i fall a sleep. I been walking in the wood and that as been my alternative to meditation.

• edited March 2021

I do have many earplugs. On top of custom modded ear plugs I have a couple of musicians earplugs that are way cheaper than moulded ear plugs. I leave one in the car. I also have very cheap foam plugs that I leave in every instrument case I have.

If you only have ever used cheap foam plugs. Try a pair of these. They reduce frequency in a more balance fashion not resulting in a weird sound when wearing these earplugs.
    https://www.amazon.ca/Vic-Firth-VICEARPLUGR-High-Fidelity-Regular-Blue/dp/B00AL2UDZ4/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3LVQ9KUDAIDFW&dchild=1&keywords=drummer+ear+protection&qid=1616409517&sprefix=Drummer+ear+,aps,342&sr=8-6

• Tinnitus sound bad. I've been a few loud concerts in my youth but I guess I got lucky.

Hope you guys find some relief.

• Very generous of you Jack, I am looking forward to reading this later. Since getting into mobile music I have noticed tinnitus creeping up on me. I'm not one who likes to play their works in progress via speakers and so I make a lot of use of headphones. I'm very aware of a ringing in my ears the day after guitar noodling and this is something I need to act on.

• @JackRubinacci Thank you. I too have tinnitus fairly bad. My hearing is ok now... some loss at higher frequencies and my wife’s voice is completely gone 😜. But there are days when its bad. I have learned from early on not to focus on it or it will drive me crazy.. I am careful now about sound and give my ears a break lot more then I used to. I will wait for book to go on sale so you can get the money you deserve.

Where will it go Amazon?

thanks’

• Thank you for the comments folks. I’m glad if anyone reads this and feels better about their tinnitus. It can get very difficult I know and I’m glad if I can help in anyway

@onerez yes it can tricky with loud volume and the way I see volume now is simply, the lower the safer. As much as I used to love blasting music out.

It will go on Amazon. Probably within a few weeks. Thanks man

• @JackRubinacci Thanks for sharing this.

• Thanks @Poppadocrock my pleasure 🙏

• @ecou said:
    Thank you for the book jack. I grind my teeth pretty badly at night and this gives me very bad ear ringing. I do not know if I would have tinnitus without the teeth grinding. Maybe I will never know.

I try to meditate but I can’t seem to get into it. I am miserable when doing meditation I dread it or i fall a sleep. I been walking in the wood and that as been my alternative to meditation.

Try autogenic training maybe? Very very relaxing and excellent for tension in the jaw.

@JackRubinacci thanks for sharing this 🙏

• @ecou another tip about meditation - if you have problems with it you are probably doing a method that doesn't suit you, perhaps it is one that requires you to be too passive and you need something more active. You might like the approach to meditation that a guy called Jason Siff has, he has two books, 'Thoughts are not the enemy' and 'unlearning meditation'

• @ecou sorry I missed your comment. Have you tried apps? The app I use is called T minus. It’s a very good app with a lot of different libraries to choose from including meditation. You might find some benefit from reading the book I shared as I mention sleep too. I know it’s difficult and that’s why I wanted to share this book so please feel free.

@Gavinski hello brother . I was just a minute ago watching a video of yours . I’m a big fan! And your new 🎤 sounds great 👍🙂

• edited March 2021

@Gavinski said:

@ecou said:
    Thank you for the book jack. I grind my teeth pretty badly at night and this gives me very bad ear ringing. I do not know if I would have tinnitus without the teeth grinding. Maybe I will never know.

Try autogenic training maybe? Very very relaxing and excellent for tension in the jaw.

@JackRubinacci thanks for sharing this 🙏

I never heard of autogenic. I will check it out for sure. Thank you.

@Gavinski Thank you I will check out Jason Siff books. Love your videos 👍

• @JackRubinacci said:
    @ecou sorry I missed your comment. Have you tried apps? The app I use is called T minus. It’s a very good app with a lot of different libraries to choose from including meditation. You might find some benefit from reading the book I shared as I mention sleep too. I know it’s difficult and that’s why I wanted to share this book so please feel free.

@Gavinski hello brother . I was just a minute ago watching a video of yours . I’m a big fan! And your new 🎤 sounds great 👍🙂

I have not done either yet. Not the will but the time is missing this week. Hopefully next week.

Let us know when your book goes out for sale. Will it be available in Kindle format?

• Hello @ecou yes kindle also

• @ecou said:

@ecou.... do you have a retainer that you can wear at night? My wife would have no teeth left if she did not have one. Her dentist made it for her and it helped not only with the grinding, it also saved her from jaw and ear pain.

• @onerez said:

@ecou said:

@ecou.... do you have a retainer that you can wear at night? My wife would have no teeth left if she did not have one. Her dentist made it for her and it helped not only with the grinding, it also saved her from jaw and ear pain.

Yes I do have one. I go thru them every couple of years . Thy help but only so much.

• Speaking of apps they have a lot a tinnitus apps, Or apps that supposedly help with tinnitus. Some are better then others and they have different methods but they are out there and for the most part free.

• @Poppadocrock @ecou yes there are some very good ones now. The T minus is absolutely fantastic and the one I use.

• @JackRubinacci said:
    @Poppadocrock @ecou yes there are some very good ones now. The T minus is absolutely fantastic and the one I use.

What do they do exactly to help? I know they play white and other Color of noise. But how does that help ?

• @ecou for starters it tunes out your tinnitus and gives you some relief from the tone of your tinnitus. Then it distracts the brain by adding other sounds within the main sound you hear so it un focuses your brain from that tone of your tinnitus. If you do read my book which you are welcome to download here for free there is an extensive interview with the creator of the T minus app where he talks about what it does. I have no affiliation to the app it’s just the best I’ve come across . I use it when times get really tough. Hope that helps

• @JackRubinacci so question. Do you have phones on when you use that app? Or just play in background or what? Thanks!

• Thanks for sharing, Jack. Very kind of you.

My ears are pretty good for a septuagenarian, but I do have an issue which is hard to describe. Listening with phones and sometimes live creates a kind of “barrier” muffling sound unpleasantly with each new, slightly loud, sonic simulation. It doesn’t feel good, but the condition comes and goes, so not a terrible issue. I just turn the volume down until it doesn’t trigger the reaction. There must be a name for it.

• Thanks Jack. I am a relative newcomer to tinnitus and I found your video uplifting. Looking forward to reading your book too.

• I look forward to reading your book. Bad tinnitus for years. Thanks so much.

• A serious matter for musicians and anyone who has been or continues to be exposed to loud sounds. Until the time comes when we can regrow our own damaged cells inside our ears, protection is up to us. Congratulations on addressing this subject.

• @onerez said:
    @JackRubinacci so question. Do you have phones on when you use that app? Or just play in background or what? Thanks!

The phone is on and goes into sleep mode with the sounds playing in the background 👍

• @NeuM
    @BillS
    @LinearLineman

Thank you fellas appreciate it

@donb720 Thank you I hope the book is of some help 🙏