Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

PD Space Guitar Synthesizer public beta (auv3)

Comments

• I find the output level really low from this AU. I must be doing something wrong but haven't figured out what settings in the AU I need to change to get output level similar to my other effects, plugins and synths.

• @espiegel123 said:
    I find the output level really low from this AU. I must be doing something wrong but haven't figured out what settings in the AU I need to change to get output level similar to my other effects, plugins and synths.

On amp tab you need to switch amp section on

• @Agatha_aga said:

@espiegel123 said:
    I find the output level really low from this AU. I must be doing something wrong but haven't figured out what settings in the AU I need to change to get output level similar to my other effects, plugins and synths.

On amp tab you need to switch amp section on

Thanks. I hadn't realized that what looks like a file tab/label is an on/off toggle.

• It would definitely be helpful if the tab was labeled “POWER” instead of “AMP.”

It would be even better if the tab was instead a power switch that turned yellow or red when it was engaged. 👍🏻

• @SNystrom said:
    It would definitely be helpful if the tab was labeled “POWER” instead of “AMP.”

It would be even better if the tab was instead a power switch that turned yellow or red when it was engaged. 👍🏻

only the tab buttons on top of the screen are real tabs, all others are on/off or radio switches.
    I'd only consider to change the layout from the fake vs real tab buttons.
    Maybe I can add a powerled to the on/off switches, that is usually inviting for the user to click on.

• I think that would be great.

It’s not often you find an app feature that confuses power user @espiegel123. If it’s not obvious to him, then I imagine it would easily be overlooked by the mere mortals amongst the user rank and file.

Thank you. 😊

• @Paul_Driessen said:

@SNystrom said:
    It would definitely be helpful if the tab was labeled “POWER” instead of “AMP.”

only the tab buttons on top of the screen are real tabs, all others are on/off or radio switches.
    I'd only consider to change the layout from the fake vs real tab buttons.
    Maybe I can add a powerled to the on/off switches, that is usually inviting for the user to click on.

That would be an improvement. But I wouldn’t just add a button, I’d also suggest not having the file tab look for anything that does not function as a file tab (I.e. changes to a different page of options)

In my opinion, a file tab icon doesn’t suggest to a user that tapping it will change its state. For the things that change state (rather than bring a section into view), I would change the shape so that it doesn’t look like a file tab. Or have a text label with something that seems button-like next to it whose state changes to indicate being on or off.

• personally I like having the radios/switches look like the tabs. Adding a LED in the radio/swithces will make them look different ebnough to the section tabs.
    As my time for this project is very limited, an LED is also all I can offer.

• edited February 2022

PD Space Guitar BETA 1.0.8 for Ipad is out!

New engine: massively improved picking response and latency.
    Added Drive waveform, TONE knob controls the amount of spectral overdrive. It morphs your guitar from clean to polyphonic squarewaves.
    With Tone set to 0 you basically get a clean pitch shifter ( note: the filter then has nothin to do: the filter only works on the added harmonics!)
    The Noise knob in the filter section is now way more musical
    New Detune method is less CPU intensive and much more usefull.
    Range now lets you limit Space Guitar's frequency band: e.g. if you set it to 52, it will use the signal upto your E on your 4th string.

The internal buffersize is now equal to the audio interface/host setting. This will in many cases lead to better CPU performance and less latency. The most CPU intensive are the Cabinet and Reverb, which are stock functions, and not particularly optimised: when using Space Guitar as a plugin, it is therefore recommended to use a bus reverb in your host.
    Known Issues:
    Small ticks in the sound occur when you bend strings. I'll even that out in the next version.
    Currently the filter noise knob will not work in "drive" mode.
    I did not yet include example presets for the new Drive Range & Detune options

• Thanks and good luck with your great app @Paul_Driessen

• edited March 2022

Tried the app for the first time. Fun stuff!

Quite a bit of extraneous noise until I unplugged the USB cable from the Power port of the Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter. Not the fault of the app - I think, anyway.

Audio interface is Line 6 HX Stomp XL. May try the app again with the most basic preset I can do on the HX Stomp - just straight in to out, so I can hear the app by itself. I was unable to dial out the guitar sound completely - again this might be something on the HX Stomp I'll have to figure out. I may try with one of my Roland Duo Capture or Go Mixer Pro.

Are the controls like Bloom Cutoff, Pluck, etc. documented somewhere? I did glance through the vguitarforums thread.

• edited March 2022

@GovernorSilver said:
    Tried the app for the first time. Fun stuff!

Quite a bit of extraneous noise until I unplugged the USB cable from the Power port of the Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter. Not the fault of the app - I think, anyway.

Audio interface is Line 6 HX Stomp XL. May try the app again with the most basic preset I can do on the HX Stomp - just straight in to out, so I can hear the app by itself. I was unable to dial out the guitar sound completely - again this might be something on the HX Stomp I'll have to figure out. I may try with one of my Roland Duo Capture or Go Mixer Pro.

Are the controls like Bloom Cutoff, Pluck, etc. documented somewhere? I did glance through the vguitarforums thread.

tnx for the feedback!

• Space Guitar expects a completely dry guitar signal
      Space Guitar filter:
    • The filter has a default cutoff , which is called Pluck.
    • Whenever a tone goes louder suddenly, the filter cutoffs go direction Bloom . Sense is the sensitivity for going that direction, and Attack is the speed. So attack is the transition speed that this envelop follower uses.
    • If you set sense to 0, the whole tone is governed by Pluck and Resonance.
    • if you set attack to minimal, the filter is position immediately between Pluck and Bloom, depending on the sense setting (and the strength of the incoming signal)
    • Nois is currently only working on saw & square
    • the Pluck and Bloom knob scale is notes: so if you set one of them to 24, it means 2 octaves above the normal note.
    • The waves are on top of the original, so if the filter is close to 0, the sound will resemble the original guitartone.
  • edited March 2022

Thanks, PD!

I just tried it with the Roland Go:Mixer Pro. For some reason the Roland does not want to play nice with the app. I get nothing but dry guitar sound. I tried standalone and as an effect plugin in AUM.

For comparison, I tried Roxsyn in the FX slot in AUM and it produced an effected sound as expected.

I then tried the HX Stomp XL again, but this time listened through headphones plugged into the iPad instead of the HX Stomp. This produced Space Guitar sounds. At some point, I'll create an HX Stomp preset that just has a preamp block and nothing else, to raise the guitar signal level, and compare to just using the Amp built into the app.

With the headphones plugged into the iPad, the app seemed to think the headphones was the input. When hosted in AUM, i was at least able to get AUM to select the HX Stomp as the audio input.

• edited March 2022

ok, nice to hear you found the problem.
    There is an "Audio config.." button in Space Guitar standalone to select the proper input.

• edited March 2022

note: Please disconnect your airpods before starting Space Guitar!
    If you have bluetooth headphones connected as default audio device on your ipad, Space Guitar might crash on first startup. Space Guitar now is not protected against non-existent or incompatible microphone input streams. This will ofcourse be fixed in the next update.

• This is a really fun app! Thanks Paul! I realize this is a long shot because you've already mentioned limited time to be able to devote to the app - but it looks like the interface would translate very well to iphone. There's probably way more to it than that but any chance of making the app universal? As an ipad only app I'm not sure I'd end up purchasing but I wouldn't even have to think about it if it was universal.

Anyway, great work and I didn't run into any problems in testing on my ipad.

• @spiteface said:
    This is a really fun app! Thanks Paul! I realize this is a long shot because you've already mentioned limited time to be able to devote to the app - but it looks like the interface would translate very well to iphone. There's probably way more to it than that but any chance of making the app universal? As an ipad only app I'm not sure I'd end up purchasing but I wouldn't even have to think about it if it was universal.

Anyway, great work and I didn't run into any problems in testing on my ipad.

thanks, glad you like it!
    One of the biggest reasons for not having an SG iphone version is me not having one.. I designed the interface for ease of portability and readability, if I can earn some bucks I can buy an iphone, and then there will be an iphone version too ;)

• HOLY COW! @Paul_Driessen: when you said this: "New engine: massively improved picking response and latency" you were not joking. I tried an early beta and the difference between this version and the old one is like night/day. The app is such a joy to play now--it's so musical the way the notes "bloom" after pluck. I'm inspired!

Are you using one of the presets in the video above (drone/sitar)?

Where are you located? If I can do it cost-effectively, I'll send you an old iPhone if you will consider making an iPhone version of the app.

• edited March 2022

@lukesleepwalker said:
    HOLY COW! @Paul_Driessen: when you said this: "New engine: massively improved picking response and latency" you were not joking. I tried an early beta and the difference between this version and the old one is like night/day. The app is such a joy to play now--it's so musical the way the notes "bloom" after pluck. I'm inspired!

Where are you located? If I can do it cost-effectively, I'll send you an old iPhone if you will consider making an iPhone version of the app.

haha Luke, nice! I tend to not exaggerate things, so yes, it is quite an improvement.
    The guitartone (EDIT: not the tanpura drone) is just a mild saw with a slow attack, if you twist that knob, and mix the bledn knob, you can create a buzzing sustain to a clean attack.
    I live in Germany, I don't know if that is a feasible mail location for you, but thanks anyway for your kind offer!

• One thing I've noted about PD is that it's very soft in both standalone and in AUv3 mode. I have to compress and add some make-up gain to get it to cut through a mix. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, @Paul_Driessen ?

• edited March 2022

go to the amp tab and turn up the level, bottom row, first knob from the right. ofcourse the amp needs to be on, make sure the AMP header is highlited

• @Paul_Driessen said:
    go to the amp tab and turn up the level, bottom row, first knob from the right. ofcourse the amp needs to be on, make sure the AMP header is highlited

That did it. Thanks!

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    HOLY COW! @Paul_Driessen: when you said this: "New engine: massively improved picking response and latency" you were not joking. I tried an early beta and the difference between this version and the old one is like night/day. The app is such a joy to play now--it's so musical the way the notes "bloom" after pluck. I'm inspired!

Dope I haven’t tried since the most recent update, now I’m excited to do so…

• edited March 2022

FYI:
    BETA 1.0.9 is out with iphone support!
    No real further changes over 1.0.8 for ipad users.

• Works great on iPhone, Paul! Excellent work here.

• edited March 2022

ah, nice to hear!

• PD Space Guitar beta 1.0.10 will introduce a real functioning piano sustain pedal!
    Here in the vid the pedal is allways down, you will be able to remotely switch the sustain via a midi footcontroller

• Also upcoming: remotes!

• @Paul_Driessen said:
    FYI:
    BETA 1.0.9 is out with iphone support!
    No real further changes over 1.0.8 for ipad users.

Thanks so much for this! Works great! Hope an official release is on the horizon soo I can pay you for it :)